Eric Manginia continues to work his magic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Eric Manginia continues to work his magic

From SI.com:

Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter Mary Kay Cabot firmly stands by her story that former Jets coach Eric Mangini really gave the Browns rookies no choice in the matter when they "voluntarily'' took a 10-hour bus trip to work at his charity football camp in Hartford, Conn., Saturday. The Browns are in damage control, saying Mangini, who'll ride the bus back with players, didn't twist the players' arms. But again, Cabot told me she spoke with agents and family members of the 19 players and all are livid. In fact, the league and NFLPA are reportedly looking into the matter to see if Mangini violated any rules.

Newark Star-Ledger

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Re: Eric Manginia continues to work his magic

[QUOTE]From SI.com: Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter Mary Kay Cabot firmly stands by her story that former Jets coach Eric Mangini really gave the Browns rookies no choice in the matter when they "voluntarily'' took a 10-hour bus trip to work at his charity football camp in Hartford, Conn., Saturday. The Browns are in damage control, saying Mangini, who'll ride the bus back with players, didn't twist the players' arms. But again, Cabot told me she spoke with agents and family members of the 19 players and all are livid. In fact, the league and NFLPA are reportedly looking into the matter to see if Mangini violated any rules. Newark Star-Ledger
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Uh oh!  Does this make the Browns.......................... wait for it .................

CHEATERS??!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

It in no way makes them cheaters, give me a break harley lol

Oh no a few high priced rookies had to go and do something worth while with their time! how dear he! Listen I hate Mangina as much as teh next guy but he didnt do anything wrong other then the fact that he should have been on the bus with the rookies on teh way there. other then that he had every right in the world to request his rookies come and help out at a charity for underprivlidged kids. God forbid these rookies have to actually do some good in their lives.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

The Browns are also in the process of alienating Joshua Cribbs, who is probably their best player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

The only magic Mangini has is his ability to become an NFL head coach for no justifiable reason whatsoever. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

They were only mad because the bus had no bathroom.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]It in no way makes them cheaters, give me a break harley lol Oh no a few high priced rookies had to go and do something worth while with their time! how dear he! Listen I hate Mangina as much as teh next guy but he didnt do anything wrong other then the fact that he should have been on the bus with the rookies on teh way there. other then that he had every right in the world to request his rookies come and help out at a charity for underprivlidged kids. God forbid these rookies have to actually do some good in their lives.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

Taz is right.  Mangini did the right thing, other than not riding with his players and not giving them a bathroom.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

If my boss offered to excuse me from my regular duties to go juggle bowling pins at a Save the Northern Platypus Foundation smoker, I would like to think I would at least be given the opportunity to say, "No Thanks."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE]If my boss offered to excuse me from my regular duties to go juggle bowling pins at a Save the Northern Platypus Foundation smoker, I would like to think I would at least be given the opportunity to say, "No Thanks."
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

That is true, but you shouldn't. I knew a guy that had a friend who went to one of those once and he said it was off the hizzle!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

There has been no confirmed report that they didnt have the option to say no. So far only speculation and no facts. All we no is that they didnt like being on a bus with no coach and no bathroom for 10 hours other then that as far as you know they all were more then happy to go to his camp. This kids need to s uck it up. And even if he didnt give them a choice, that is not cheating. If anything its bad bizz ness but other then that its an issue for teh NFLPA and nothing more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Mangina used his rookies improperly,yet you make excuses to his forcing them too participate in a non team mandatory event that may benefit some inner city kids,seriously the only person who benefitted from this without reservation is Mangina!He gains from Public opinion as being a philanthropic type while his non contratural rookies are forced to participate in a bowling event where if they had injured themselves in anyway Mangina would've faced a lawsuit from the NFLPA... Brilliant Mangenius strikes again!!! Good luck Brownie fans,he's all yours!  the Non sanctioned team events are a direct violation of the collective bargaining agreement!!! No Worries,he and the other ex Jet who serves as the Commish are in cahoots..So you won't lose any draft picks in fact Roger will probably give you a couple of extra picks.....Cheaters

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]There has been no confirmed report that they didnt have the option to say no. So far only speculation and no facts. All we no is that they didnt like being on a bus with no coach and no bathroom for 10 hours other then that as far as you know they all were more then happy to go to his camp. This kids need to s uck it up. And even if he didnt give them a choice, that is not cheating. If anything its bad bizz ness but other then that its an issue for teh NFLPA and nothing more.

Yeah, but are you going to say 'no' to the guy that holds your NFL life in his hands?  Plus, I thought most contracts nowadays had some type of community service built into them.  They should be thankful that they get this out of the way before the season starts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

What I take from this whole thing is that Manweenie is alienating his players already and the season hasn't even begun yet.But,that's just my opinon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]What I take from this whole thing is that Manweenie is alienating his players already and the season hasn't even begun yet.But,that's just my opinon.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

You make a good point. Too bad it's not the Jests that he'll be pizzing off! I don't know if any "rule" was broken, but I agree with Taz. These guys just got paid a lot of money, and there's no reason they shouldn't do something like this. If you start them out on the right foot maybe there'll be less problems down the road. Even the lowest paid UFA makes three times what I do. Although they should have got a couple RVs to ride to Hartford in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

This whole situation is beyond retarded, if the reports are true, then the Browns GM must be retarded for not firing him before the season starts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

The guy has issues but this says even more about the ineptitude of the Cleveland organization for hiring him in the first place.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

An issue to consider here is the way the media has perceived Mangini coming off of last year.  A lot of players insinuated in 2008 that he alienated them and wasn't communicating with the team too well.  Then the guy loses his job and the media viewed this as confirmation. 

In all honest, if Belichick had the rookies do something like this the media would applaud it as the new best way to get rookies to bond and build team chemistry.  However, here it's interpreted as yet another example of Mangini's Napoleonic approach to coaching.  It's all a matter of perception.  I don't like the guy either but I'm just saying that's the way I read it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Sonny makes a valid point here. Much as young Mr. McDaniels quickly found out in Denver (and Mangini has apparently yet to learn), it helps to have a track record of success before implementing arbitrary schemes that may run contrary to what players (especially spoiled, egotistical young players) are used to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

[QUOTE] In all honest, if Belichick had the rookies do something like this the media would applaud it as the new best way to get rookies to bond and build team chemistry.  However, here it's interpreted as yet another example of Mangini's Napoleonic approach to coaching.  It's all a matter of perception.  I don't like the guy either but I'm just saying that's the way I read it.
    Posted by SonnyCorlione[/QUOTE]

I think you're right Sonny however if Bill did the same thing its pretty safe to say he'd be on the bus with them (as a good leader would). Being a great coach not only requires good gameplanning but also getting the players to buy in and follow said plan.  Players wont buy in if they don't repsect you. I think this is where Mangini fails, his style of coaching requires him to be a more respected, accomplished leader than he is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rimfire. Show Rimfire's posts

It some times appears as if Mangini is trying to emulate BB--but in his earlier incarnation in Cleveland--where BB seemed to alienate the players, fans and media.  I don't know if Mangini thinks that will assure him the same kind of success down the road, but it's not a path I would chose to follow in his place.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]It in no way makes them cheaters, give me a break harley lol Oh no a few high priced rookies had to go and do something worth while with their time! how dear he! Listen I hate Mangina as much as teh next guy but he didnt do anything wrong other then the fact that he should have been on the bus with the rookies on teh way there. other then that he had every right in the world to request his rookies come and help out at a charity for underprivlidged kids. God forbid these rookies have to actually do some good in their lives.

I agree that Mangini couldn't and shouldn't be considered a cheater in this case, but the players are in a union and that union and the NFL have a CBA which specifies events that players can be made to participate in. If this is not one of them (it sounds like it isn't) and if he coerced them in any fashion (it sounds like a possibility), then he is in violation of the CBA and the League will be forced to assign consequences.