errr GAPING hole at TE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattadlard. Show mattadlard's posts

errr GAPING hole at TE

Watsons gone, but he was an average TE who showed sparks of talent. Baker released. All we have left is some untested rookies. 

Whats next? Trade for Olsen or are we going to draft Gresham?? 

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: errr GAPING hole at TE

Not very tight then.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Zing . . . 

I all seriousness, Olsen would be a decent target if the Bears would agree to a 3rd or thereabouts. 

And Tony Sheffler is available too.

Although neither of these guys are the combo types BB has looked at in the past, both being more finese TEs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

does it really matter??? The Patriots don't throw to their tight ends anyway and you can always pick up a blocking tight end anytime for cheap. With that being said, I definitely disagree with this philosophy. I'd love to see a Dallas Clark type for Brady-Olsen?.Clark seems to make Manning's job alot easier. Can never figure out why BB doesn't want a game changing tight end to help out Brady.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to errr GAPING hole at TE:
    Watsons gone, but he was an average TE who showed sparks of talent. Baker released. All we have left is some untested rookies.  Whats next? Trade for Olsen or are we going to draft Gresham??  Thoughts?
    Posted by mattadlard

Over the years they have always drafted TE's.  Recently they haven't.  I suspect that two FA scrap heap signings will take place, and that they will draft one early TE (2nd round) and one late round TE.  Lastly they will sign 2-3 of the undrafted and FA types that are one-two years out of school that have never latched on.  They will ultimately have 6-7 (minimum) in for the mini camps. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

You never know whats up the sleeve of the magician! How about they wait until draft day and see who is dumping who? The name to keep an eye on is Colin Peek.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Teams like Dallas. Atlanta and Indy have great receiving tight-ends to assist their team. However, they don't have a slot receiver like we have in Welker/Edelman. Having a great receiving tight-end helps the slot for the most part. So I think our best bet is a great blocking TE that can catch, but isn't his primary responsibility.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

Gaping Hole at who's Tight End? Can you word that any worse?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

crumpler

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Newcomer TE Alex Smith is about one notch above a JAG.  At least he can catch.  Great twitch muscle acceleration in the Wes Welker / Julian Edelman tradition.  He can't drive-block.  Good third and long choice.

If BB wants to have a real blocking tight end he'll try Sebastian Vollmer, who played tight end in college.  If Brady wants to throw to Sea Bass in the endzone, at least the guy is taller than everyone else and has long arms.

Odds are, BB will either get a mid-level free agent when the price plummets, or draft a second-rounder.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: errr GAPING hole at TE:
    does it really matter??? The Patriots don't throw to their tight ends anyway and you can always pick up a blocking tight end anytime for cheap. With that being said, I definitely disagree with this philosophy. I'd love to see a Dallas Clark type for Brady-Olsen?.Clark seems to make Manning's job alot easier. Can never figure out why BB doesn't want a game changing tight end to help out Brady.
    Posted by rickrand3

They have a game changing tight end, his name is Wes Welker. It wouldn't matter if you had Ben Coates again, if you have a guy like this running in the vicinity that a tight end would normally run, he is going to get most of the passes. Look at what he does; catch between the hashes, 7 to 10 yards out, turn and run, get tackled by a corner and a safety. Just like your typical TE. If he wasn't here, then you would probrably see alot of those passes go to the TE. And before him was Troy Brown, same type of player and same type of routes. With Welker out it sure wouldn't surprise me if you see them get a TE that can really exploit the middle, catch it cleanly, turn and run with it. Lord knows that will be missing this year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It's a nice feeling when your playing QB and you have a guy catching the ball thats 6'5" or so. Those guys make average QB's look good; they are very hard to overthrow, you can spot them easier, they are a mismatch for most of the secondary and they are great redzone threats. Imagine a guy as accurate as Brady passing to someone like that. It amazes me that he is so accurate with guys like Welker 5'9", Brown5'9", and Branch5'9". His life would sure be easier with a guy like Tony Gonzalez. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

be nice to find a TE like dallas clark. I think BB's gotta be looking to draft some strong quick young guys 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to errr GAPING hole at TE: Last year we stockpiled bozoes, and then let Thomas go. TEs seem to bust often as early picks...hope to get lucky later in the draft.
    Watsons gone, but he was an average TE who showed sparks of talent. Baker released. All we have left is some untested rookies.  Whats next? Trade for Olsen or are we going to draft Gresham??  Thoughts?
    Posted by mattadlard

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

There are a couple free agent TE's available but UFA Alge Crumpler Tenn. is available and Belichick loves him and the style of football he plays (bulldozer for the running game another OT for pass protection and has soft hands when you need the occasional TE release for 10 or so yards). I know he is 32 but he has a couple good years left in him if he is used right. They used him a lot with Chris Johnson running. CJ even credited him with a lot of his Yac because he had a chance to gain speed before a defender got to him  with Crumpler out front on a sweep.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Olsen will be a Patriot.  it makes sense for both sides.  Olsen for a 4th or 5th. 

not worried about this at all.