ESPN Rumors - Welker Replacement

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

ESPN Rumors - Welker Replacement

So is ESPN making something out of nothing here?:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffeatures%2frumors

saying Pats looking to make a move to replace welker. Do they actually know something we dont?

How much can you trust what these guys are writing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongirl. Show moongirl's posts

Re: ESPN Rumors - Welker Replacement

In Response to ESPN Rumors - Welker Replacement:
    So is ESPN making something out of nothing here?: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffeatures%2frumors saying Pats looking to make a move to replace welker. Do they actually know something we dont? How much can you trust what these guys are writing?
    Posted by wiggy26

You cannot read this article unless you subscribe to "Insider" so we won't what it says. Also, i would assume they are looking for a "replacement" until Welker comes back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

May have worded that the wrong way - I meant make a move for a replacement WR, not get rid of Welker.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well Welker might be out till Thanksgiving, Moss most likely will be gone after this year, we currently don't have a #2, and even if Edelman and Tate both turn into better then average WR's (which I think they both will) we will still be a WR short. It's only commen sense that the Pats are looking for a WR. You know sometimes I think that there are people on this board with more football knowledge then those who work at ESPN.

What I'm wondering is that they had a couple chances to grab an impact WR on the first day of FA and let them pass by. Those FA WR's left on the market are nothing but stop gaps at this point. Now they could trade for a WR but other then Marshall the trade front seems quit and I don't think they are going to trade for Marshall anytime soon. He is going to cost to much in terms of a pick and the contract he's going to demand. He also doesn't seem like the character guy the Pats generally go after. I know they brought in Cory and Moss but both were getting older in their careers and both coming from horrible teams so it made for an ideal situation for them to play the roles.

If they are looking for a long term solution to the WR problem I just see them fixing it at the draft. I have a feeling it will either be Tate and Williams. It just seems like they might want to move back into the possession type of receivers they had during the SB years and either of those players would be perfect starting blocks with B. Tate as your speed option using Welker and Edelman as you inside/outside slots. Esp if they go lite on the TE's then they can have a 1 back and 4 WR shotgun set.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

They'll draft the kid from USC Damien Williams or the Thomas kid from Georgia Tech. Depending on how many draft choices they wind up with at the draft they will look to find a diamond in the rough type. There are several WR's in this draft and quite a few who are going to slide under the radar,in one scenario they could sign Josh Reed and then select someone like Eric Decker to play the slashing WR or they could go pure speed and draft Golden Tate,if they don't go that route depending on the severity and length of Welkers Re-hab,they could go after Gilyard or White both excellent slot receivers,if they wait until later in the draft maybe an Ajiritutu or Barnes falls to them or if they are really lucky they can get a Donald Brown all three of these guys will be fantastic receivers in the NFL but it may take a few years for them to develope.Maybe the Patriots get lucky and one of the late season additions develope. Darnell Jenkins,Moore or Ortiz or maybe by some miracle Slater,Stansback or Aikens find a magic lamp and a genie grants them three wishes....One of them will actually blurt out on his first wish that he becomes a star WR in the NFL...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Of coarse I can't read that because I'm not an insider. We have to pay to read their "insider" news and gossip!! and I don't want their magazine cluttering up my home because I really don't care to read about other sports.

So can you tell us what it says.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

NEGAME... you know I was an insider for a while then I got smart, a lot of opinion and conjecture not too heavy on fact... also had a friend of mine who works for a Boston Area Paper not affiliated with this site tell me that ESPN is what is wrong with Sports in America... he went on for over an hour on the subject and I was convinced.
    I think the Patriots are moving back to a possesion/power offense hence the team looking at a player like Crumpler... if they decide they want him they will sign him around the draft... they likely let him go with a "deal" in his back pocket so to speak so he had an idea what he would make with the Patriots.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to ESPN Rumors - Welker Replacement:
    So is ESPN making something out of nothing here?: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffeatures%2frumors saying Pats looking to make a move to replace welker. Do they actually know something we dont? How much can you trust what these guys are writing?
    Posted by wiggy26

Do you know how to use the copy-paste feature on your PC? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

The more I read from you guys the more I wonder whether to expect anything from this team next year.  Brady may have to develop an entirely new receiver corps (which IMO is not his forte - but the basis for my opinion may be suspect).  

The running game is not as strong as it has been in prior years.  

Many of you bash the o-line. 

The defense may have enough of a core (wilfork, warren, mayo, merriweather) to build from, but they had that last year, and weren't highly effective. 

Belichick, imo, does not really like rookies but has not made significant plays in FA. 

What are pats fans expecting next year at this point of the offseason?  Could the pats be exploring trades with picks?  I know it is easy to bash the Jets, but their moves seem to make sense, and it appears that they are building while the pats sit. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

The Jets moves make sense?  5 mil for Tomlinson after they let Jones walk? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

The Pats are going to add a block-buster type of addition to the offense. I think there will be a sign and trade at the draft and NE gets a really good receiver in his prime. The O line will improve this year with new guys coming in. BB doesn't draft highly for the O line and likely will find some fat guys in the draft. The defense will be solid with new guys coming in including probably a first round selection pass rusher. This team endured its transition year while winning the division. I expect great things out of them next year and this will be one heck of a schedule witih the NFC North as division emphasis.

What have the Colts done to improve?
    It wasn't good enough last year to win it all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Baron -

As the reigning AFC Champions, the question should be, do they really need to improve?  Yes, they were beaten in the Superbowl, but I can apply the "any given Sunday" theory if need be.  They won every other game they tried to win last year.  But that said, yes they need to improve.  I'd say defensively on the interior line, possibly at LB, and at the oline. 

Remember, however, that the colts were the second most injured team in the NFL last year and still made their run.  Those injuries included 4 starters (3 in the secondary and one LB).  They also dropped a starter on the interior D line.  Finally, Freeney's injury prior to the SB did not help. 

But here is how the colts will improve.  2 rookie CB's now have a year under their belt.  Bob Sanders will be back.  Tyjuan Hagler will be back.  The back end of their D will be phenomenal.  The colts must continue to pursue players that can effect the interior of the defensive front.  They were better last year, but not great. 

On Offense, the colts will be better at the skill positions because Collie and Garcon will be better and Gonzalez will be back or dealt.  Donald Brown will have a year under his belt and Mike Hart will get a shot at RB (imo).  The colts do need to figure out their oline, and they will.  They just let go of Ryan Lilja (RT) and have to figure out their LT situation, but I am not overly concerned about that. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

123 - there is no salary cap this year, and don't you think the Jets know something about Jones that maybe you do not?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsordie. Show patsordie's posts

That rumour blog is just hilarious. They just connect any available player with any team that comes to their mind and make that a rumour just because people paying money for the insider subscription are looking for some interesting information.

They write that Jets are trying to get Brandon Marshall. Whats with that??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Under, to address a few things.
    The jets may or maynot know something about Jones that we dont, but everyone knows LT hasnt been LT in atleast 2 years.

Team wise, we will be good next year, win the AFCE.  But short of luck I dont see us winning it all.  We need a great draft at key spots and contributions both from this and the last rookie class to really go far.

As far as judging the Pats by those here.  Maybe I am wrong but there are less consistent long term fans and more bandwagon or shall I say long term pats fans that dont love football like we do, here than normal.  A ton of "the sky is falling" types.  We are not far from great.  We need to address key issues without a doubt.

As far as Brady not being good at adjusting to new receivers.  I have to disagree.  He has done well no matter who we had him throwing to.  Some of the WRs sucked and were cut because he does need good route runners because he is so precise.  I think he will do fine with what we give him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

no cap this year but what if there is a cap next season. A lot of teams will scrambling to decide which great player they are going to have to release. Be patient.
    One year we went 11-5 without our QB, the next we went 11-5 won the AFC East again and had a bad loss to the Ravens.
    Now this season, a lot of the same team is back with more experience and we have some good positions in the draft. It might be raining but the sky isn't falling

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Rumors - Welker Replacement:
    no cap this year but what if there is a cap next season.A lot of teams will scrambling to decide which great player they are going to have to release. Be patient. One year we went 11-5 without our QB, the next we went 11-5 won the AFC East again and had a bad loss to the Ravens. Now this season, a lot of the same team is back with more experience and we have some good positions in the draft. It might be raining but the sky isn't falling
    Posted by sgmlrm3706

Spot on Dude,

Anybody that goes nuts this year will pay dearly when a cap is back in place and have to start cutting players or paying fines depending on how the new system works.

As for Espn Rumors I don't believe any of them and I personally believe Edelman will be an adequate slot receiver for the time being. I'm much more concerned with our running game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

That rumour blog is just hilarious. They just connect any available player with any team that comes to their mind and make that a rumour just because people paying money for the insider subscription are looking for some interesting information. They write that Jets are trying to get Brandon Marshall. Whats with that??
    Posted by patsordie

It would be hard to imagine that all 31 other teams have not had discussions about Marshall. Lombardi is a pretty good reporter, but I'd say he pulled a "Carucci" on this one and the editor didn't help by highlighting it.

The Pats  BTW have more 2009 rushing yards on their roster than do the Jets ...ditto receiving yards.  We all agree Moredcai above, they need to improve and most certainly will....Morris had some good things to say about former team-mate Josh Reed in the Herald today.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Mordecai -

Re: LT - I agree he is no longer the old LT, but I don't think that's what the Jets picked him up for.  He knows he will back up Greene, and don't you think he is good enough, still, to be a great back up? 

Re: Brady, this year will test him.  He is a great decision maker on the field and has shown that throughout his career.  But having guys like Welker and Moss can lull one into a false sense of security.  If Moss is gone (as some suggest), Watson is gone, and Welker is not back until mid-season, there is no continuity or experience or trust in the receiving corps.  This year for Brady may be like last year was for Manning. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I believe that Moss will be on the roster in 2010.  If you mean he won't be 2011 I'd probably agree.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Under, I am not saying he wont get some yards and catches.  He will choke or have some "mysterious" injury in the playoffs.  The cry about it. 

Under, I understand what u are saying about Brady, but I also remember pre Moss and Welker and how well he did with no names.  I am in the minority, but strangly think we would be better without Moss.  I cant make an arguement against his awesome production and i do enjoy watching him play.  BUT I miss Brady throwing to a bunch of good but not great WRs based on who was hot and open.  I think the O was much much better and less predictable.  I think that was a much more effective O in the playoffs too.  You are correct that it will take a few games to get used to and comfortable with any new WRs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

the sleps traded one rb for another...lots of slep players liked jones so that is interesting...second year players hit sophmore walls so look for the sleps to have a tougher year...the afc east also rans (ie the sleps and the fish) both had power running games... and are slug fest type teams... i think we have gotten away from that a bit over the last couple years but bill may be realizing we will have to man up on the lines of scrimmage against our own division...pwere teams(sleps, ravens) both seemed to be looking to get into the wild west type offense with their moves...it will be interesting

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

The Pats are going to add a block-buster type of addition to the offense. I think there will be a sign and trade at the draft and NE gets a really good receiver in his prime. The O line will improve this year with new guys coming in. BB doesn't draft highly for the O line and likely will find some fat guys in the draft. The defense will be solid with new guys coming in including probably a first round selection pass rusher. This team endured its transition year while winning the division. I expect great things out of them next year and this will be one heck of a schedule witih the NFC North as division emphasis. What have the Colts done to improve? It wasn't good enough last year to win it all.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

THE COLTS ARE STOCKED WITH GOOD PLAYERS! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

The more I read from you guys the more I wonder whether to expect anything from this team next year.  Brady may have to develop an entirely new receiver corps (which IMO is not his forte - but the basis for my opinion may be suspect).   The running game is not as strong as it has been in prior years.   Many of you bash the o-line.    The defense may have enough of a core (wilfork, warren, mayo, merriweather) to build from, but they had that last year, and weren't highly effective.  Belichick, imo, does not really like rookies but has not made significant plays in FA.  What are pats fans expecting next year at this point of the offseason?  Could the pats be exploring trades with picks?  I know it is easy to bash the Jets, but their moves seem to make sense, and it appears that they are building while the pats sit. 
    Posted by underdoggg

dogg...sup?  happy off season to ya.

Don't expect much...'til this point. Still early in pre-season, y'now?  However, that being said....our major problems still haven't been addressed - so, until they are - expecting the same ol' same ol' for next season. In other words, a second tier team at best.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

The more I read from you guys the more I wonder whether to expect anything from this team next year.  Brady may have to develop an entirely new receiver corps (which IMO is not his forte - but the basis for my opinion may be suspect).   The running game is not as strong as it has been in prior years.   Many of you bash the o-line.    The defense may have enough of a core (wilfork, warren, mayo, merriweather) to build from, but they had that last year, and weren't highly effective.  Belichick, imo, does not really like rookies but has not made significant plays in FA.  What are pats fans expecting next year at this point of the offseason?  Could the pats be exploring trades with picks?  I know it is easy to bash the Jets, but their moves seem to make sense, and it appears that they are building while the pats sit. 
    Posted by underdoggg

Yeah, he has done a horrible job with this in 2007 when he got an entirely new WR core.....and went on to break all kinds of offensive records.

tell me how much sense it is to let T Jones walk and sign LT for the same amount....when TJ is clearly the better back.