ESPN's Scouts Inc on Brandon Graham

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

ESPN's Scouts Inc on Brandon Graham

Overall Football Traits
    Production22006: (11/0) 3 tackles, .5 TFL, .5 sack. 2007: (13/5) 25 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 1 PBU, 3 FF, 2 FR. 2008: (11/11) 46 tackles, 20 TFL, 10 sacks, 2 FF; Second-team All-Big Ten.
    Height-Weight-Speed2Functional height, good bulk and good top-end speed.
    Durability2Misses the 2008 Toledo game with leg infection.
    Intangibles1Has some experience lining up at defensive end. Voted 2008 Bo Schembechler Most Valuable Player.
    Outside Linebacker specific Traits
    Instincts/Recognition3Adequate but not elite initial quickness and closing speed. Will have a tougher time turning the corner at the NFL level. Can get caught out of his rush lane. However, he uses his hands well and is relentless. Flashes the ability to deliver the big hit when he gets to the quarterback.
    Strength/Toughness3Thick lower body and could line up inside on pass-heavy downs. Lacks ideal athletic ability, appears stiff in space and may not be a good fit at outside linebacker in a base 3-4 scheme. Best fit is at power end in a base 4-3 scheme.
    Range vs. Run2Gets into trouble when he plays too high and has some problems splitting double teams, but generally gets under the pads of blockers and can hold his own in most one-on-one situations. Active hands and strong upper body. Flashes the ability to shed blocks in time to make plays behind or at the line of scrimmage.
    Tackling1Disciplined and generally does a nice job of staying home when the plays flows to the opposite side. Keeps head up and locates the ball quickly. Plays from the snap until the whistle and with an edge.
    3rd Down CapabilitiesN/ANo information available at this time
    Trait Scale
    1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: ESPN's Scouts Inc on Brandon Graham

He's not very tough or instinctive, is he? But beggers can't be choosers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I'd like to add this:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4675251/mayock-graham-not-pats-prototype

Mayock: Graham not Pats prototype

February, 23, 2010
    FEB 23
    2:18
    PM ET
    By Mike Reiss
    NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock was asked on his conference call if he views Michigan defensive end Brandon Graham as a fit for the Patriots’ system at outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense. Graham has been a popular choice in several mock drafts. 

Mayock went to his notes and explained that Graham doesn’t fit the Patriots’ prototype. 

“Brandon Graham has one of the best motors in this draft. He reminds me a lot of LaMarr Woodley, who played before him at Michigan and has obviously played extremely well with the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

“From the Patriots’ perspective, they typically like the longer outside linebackers. Brandon Graham, at the Senior Bowl, was 6-1, 263 [pounds]. That’s really short for an outside linebacker in the Patriots’ scheme, and he had 30-and-a-half-inch arms, which is extremely short. Just from an initial cosmetic overview, he fits what they do from a rush linebacker perspective, but he doesn’t fit the prototype. It doesn’t mean they wouldn’t take him but he’s not as long as they like.” 

This highlights an issue that was dissected on Monday: Would the Patriots alter their draft philosophy for a player like Graham

Mayock then detailed some of the other possibilities at outside linebacker. 

“Jerry Hughes, he’s undersized. Daryl Washington is a long guy that could develop but he doesn’t have a history of rushing the quarterback. Koa Misi, who I really like from Utah, he’s only a little bit above 6-2. You could get him in the second or third round, he’s a very explosive edge rusher. Thaddeus Gibson from Ohio State, [he’s] longer. A guy that’s kind of interesting is Jason Worilds from Virginia Tech, probably a third-round situational pass rusher, tremendously long limbed, gets to the quarterback, great first step. 

“In the first three rounds, there are 15-18 of these conversion guys. You have to kind of go through who are some of the longer guys who can get to the quarterback.”

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Combine says Graham posted a 4.71 40yd dash, which isn't very fast at all.

My fear: Graham would be Derrick Burgess II

He seems like he's too slow to be a speed rusher (think Freeney) and too short with too short of arms (Dumervil has long arms to compensate for his relatively short height) to be a power rusher.  I don't care if he tries hard if he's put on his @$$ every time he goes to spin like Burgess was.

I hope they don't draft him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

He aint Freeney.  Freeney is a freak and there aren't many like him that come along.  Woodley is a good comp, which is damn good but isn't in Freeney's class. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Average strength? Are you kidding me? This guy bullied guards in college, and this guy is saying he won't be able to fend off a block of a pro TE. I'm really surprised anyone has issues with his strength. I also think it's funny that his initial quickness was criticized. Watch some videos and it's clear he can beat an OT quicker than any other prospect out there. 

So he ran a 40 in 4.71? You want footballs players, not specimens like Ben Watson who run faster in shorts than in pads. This guy is going to be a beast, even with shorter arms. Woodley has short arms too and he's doing quite well. 

I'd be thrilled if they drafted Brandon Graham.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So Mayock believe's Graham isn't a Pats fit because he's 6'1" and they only want long guys but then says 2 guys they might be interested in is a 6'2" guy and a longer guy but only a situational rusher (which the Pats love intangibles and versatility esp on 3 down players). As far as strength he put up 31 reps at 225 I would call that strength and then some. Even if you take his worst qualities you still end up with an above average OLB with exceptional intangibles and tackling ability. I would take that in a heartbeat.

Oh and here's a report from Draft Countdown (I trust them more then I trust espn):

Strengths:
    Good bulk --- Aggressive with a non-stop motor --- Very strong and powerful --- Tough and physical --- Does a great job in pursuit --- Good tackler --- Plays with excellent leverage --- Holds his own versus the run --- Uses his hands well --- Has a lot of range --- Smart with great instincts --- Hard worker --- Offers some versatility --- Super productive.

Weaknesses:
    Doesn't have the ideal height you look for --- Short arms --- Frame may be maxed out --- Not a great athlete --- Average speed, quickness and agility --- Not real explosive --- Lacks a burst --- Struggles in space --- A tad inconsistent --- Might have to change positions --- Upside is limited.

Notes:
    A 2½ year starter for the Wolverines --- Named 2nd Team All-Big Ten in 2008 and 1st Team in 2009 --- Voted Michigan's Bo Schembechler Most Valuable Player as a junior and senior --- Led the nation in tackles for a loss in 2009 --- Classic 'tweener who may have to move to linebacker or perhaps even defensive tackle at the next level --- May not have all the physical tools you'd prefer but just a good football player --- Could slip a bit on Draft Day if teams get too concerned with triangle numbers and workout results --- Eerily similar in many ways to  LaMarr Woodley.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Not that it's necessarily relevant but we haven't exactly struck gold with our last 2 Michigan LB's, Pierre Woods and Shawn Crable

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Our LBs last season were 6'2 each (Burgess and TBC). Although not spectacular, they had 15 sacks between them. Our 'prototype' OLB (6'5, 260 lbs) were Shawn Crable and Pierre Woods and look how well they did!
    I guess we shoulld do away with this 'prototype' BS and draft a playmaker, and I feel Graham is one. I would be thrilled to have him on board. His motor is amazing and he gives it all in every snap. Could he be a bust? Sure. He has as much chance of being a bust as a Dumerville, or Freeney  or Gholston before they were drafted. But chances are that he is going to give us atleast 5-10 sacks this year. Kindle has more potential to a bust then Graham.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I've liked sergio kindle over graham from the get-go. He's got the length and speed that graham doesn't and terrorized backfields in college.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

why argue over graham? atlanta will pick him up.

between kindle and hughes, i like hughes better for the pats. he is a more well rounded olb right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'm still going with Sapp in round two. Sapp's D-coordinator last year taught Sapp how to play 3-4 OLB, the Coordinator learned how to coach a 3-4 defense from Nick Saban, Saban learned the 3-4 from Belichick. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

When Brandon Graham wins Defensive Rookie of the year - we'll all be saying, why didn't he pats get him!  I still like this kid regardless what these 'so-call' experts say.  I go by the eyetest and this kid looks like he would be instant IMPACT - which we need next year!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

My top two choices are by far, Graham OLB/De and Pouncey C/OG.  I think we improve with either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

I'd like to see Pouncey with the 1st, then Sapp with the 2nd (assuming he's still there, which could certainly not be the case)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It doesn't really matter who they draft in round 1, as long as it's not Tebow, a WR or TE, or a NT the Pats will get considerable better. I would draft Graham with the 22, but I hear ATL wants him, too, even though they have John Abraham.