europe dosnt care about the NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

europe dosnt care about the NFL

so why should goodell keep wasting our time on the matter?takeing home games away from clubs,and the waste of money on these flights?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Re: europe dosnt care about the NFL

As much as I like English/Scottish premier league football, I think I'm in the minority.  If Hibernian and Rangers came to Foxboro, I would think it would be a hard sell.  I imagine NFL games sell out in the UK because it is a one time a year event.  Not sure London could sustain a pro franchise. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Who cares.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

Spot On, mate!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

It worked because it was a novalty. Like you said. Once a year they can sell out. Thats it..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmo1679. Show wmo1679's posts

The main sport in Europe is soccer. That's not going to change overnight with one NFL game a year there. Soccer in this country has been growing slowly over the years but it's still niche sport in this country like the NFL over there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It's a novelty. Like the circus. It would be like Manchester United and Real Madrid playing at the Razor. Some genuine fans would show up, however, most would show up for the novelty and experience. Goodell seems to think that the NFL would always get the same attendence and the novelty would never wear off. This is not the case. Soccer has been tried many times in the states with some of the most popular  players in its history (Beckham and Pele...NY Cosmos and LA Galaxy) and failed to catch on. I can easily see a team in London failing to catch on. LA has a new stadium and it's difficult for me to see them not getting a team and London being rewarded a franchise. A franchise in London would be a logistical nightmare for teams and destined for failure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomiW. Show TomiW's posts

Yes it does.

Until recently the only games played in Europe were pre-season friendlies - every single one sold out. There are more than enough fans in Europe (and Americans based in Europe) to sell-out 8 games a year. The population of Europe is 750million - 2-3 times the USA.

It takes just over one hour more (6.5 hours) to fly from Boston to London than to San Diego (5.25 hours) - is that such a big deal when you play in front of 85,000 people? That is more than the capacity of every NFL stadium except Washington.

Sure, the NFL will never overcome the worldwide dominance of soccer but you need to distinguish between playing the game and supporting a team. Europe could easily provide enough support to finance an NFL franchise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

To become serious in a Canadian or Mexico based franchise would make too much sense, wouldn't it ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

As long as they keep trying to shove soccer down our throats, we should continue to shove football down theirs. 

Call it Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD)!  Eventually both sides will come to their senses and give up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Its always about the benjamins. No, europe doesn't care about football any more than America will ever care about the most boring sport this side of bowling, soccer.

BUT, when corporate NFL sees an opportunity to increase revenues, they're all over it. Likewise, how many times have the powers that be tried to shove soccer down our throats?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbreg7. Show rbreg7's posts

They sold out 85,000 seats in less than ten minutes..

What the hell are you talking about?

And if Man U or Real Madrid came to Foxboro..

It'd sell out immediately.

...  get cultured.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I think that's why they're looking to move a team from places like Buffalo or Jacksonville - because those places don't get much fan turnout anyway, so it wouldn't be too big of a deal if they also flopped in London because it would be no different than they're already doing right now money-wise.

I also think that Canada is much more viable than Mexico for economic reasons.  I don't think the Mexican market would be profitable for a football team, but the NFL would definitely trump the mutant Canadian version of the same.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tzaralides. Show tzaralides's posts

I live in Greece (originally from the Boston Area) and I traveled to London (with my son that has never been to a game) to see the Patriots. From the 84.000 people at the stadium, you could tell that it was a novelty event for the British. They didnt understand what was really going on.... As I left the next day to return to Greece, you could see at the airport that many people traveled from all over Europe ( I even met someone from Dubai), and this event was a great chance to see an NFL game. In short, I dont think that the UK can support a team on a permanent basis, but PLEASE do not stop this event as it gives the ex-pats an opportunity to see a game and not spend thousands to travel to the US. It was an FANTASTIC experience!!! GO PATS!!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I had to laugh at the stupid Globe article about how nobody in London recognizes a picture of Brady. If you stood in the Foxboro parking lot before a game or anywhere in the US with some pictures of famous Brit soccer players no one would know who they were either.

Football is and always will be an American/Canadian sport no matter what kind of hallucination Roger is having. If he wants to set up a permanent annual London game between 2 teams he can make it the Jets and Giants and see how his pals in NYC like it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: europe dosnt care about the NFL:
    [QUOTE]They sold out 85,000 seats in less than ten minutes.. What the hell are you talking about? And if Man U or Real Madrid came to Foxboro.. It'd sell out immediately. ...  get cultured.
    Posted by rbreg7[/QUOTE]

Yes, because they play once a year. If they played a regular schedule of 8 home games, they'd be pulling 10,000 half way through the season. 

If "Man U or Real Madrid came to Foxboro" people would think they're new rock bands and stay away in droves. Do you think that, just maybe, if  "they'd  sell out immediately", Mr. Kraft might be all over it? Or maybe you're just a much more clever businessman than Mr. Kraft, is that it?

Yes, British soccer fans are renowned throughout the world for their cultured appreciation of their fine game. LOL!!

Have you ever actually been to a British soccer game, Professor?

Its as if you stepped into mosh pit of 80,000 belligerent, drunken hooligans and somehow a soccer game broke out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Did that guy just say "get cultured" in reference to soccer?

Ahhh, yes.

A sport whose most rabid supporters are casually referred to as "hooligans" is very cultured.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thetrinity12. Show thetrinity12's posts

You guys really need to stop listening to Scot van Pelt to get your info about the state of soccer in the U.S. The comparison between football in Europe and soccer in the U.S. is way off. Soccer actually has a foundation in the U.S., and if you put a big picture of Messi or Ronaldo outside of Gilette, more people would recognize it than people in London recognizing Tom Brady. People flocked to the different stadiums from all over the country to catch their team. It's not big time, but damn, soccer being liked by a fair amount of the population is not a conspiracy theory.

Kraft hasn't brought Real or Manchester to Foxboro because A) the timing would be bad as far as availability. No one is going to bring their stars to the Tundra after the Pats' season is over (it would be way too big of an event to squeeze into the fall schedule) B) fans would $h!t if Real or Manchester skipped out on the Bernabeau or Old Trafford to go to America mid season. There is as much xenophobia over there as there is here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomiW. Show TomiW's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: europe dosnt care about the NFL : Yes, because they play once a year. If they played a regular schedule of 8 home games, they'd be pulling 10,000 half way through the season.  If "Man U or Real Madrid came to Foxboro" people would think they're new rock bands and stay away in droves. Do you think that, just maybe, if  "they'd  sell out immediately", Mr. Kraft might be all over it? Or maybe you're just a much more clever businessman than Mr. Kraft, is that it? Yes, British soccer fans are renowned throughout the world for their cultured appreciation of their fine game. LOL!! Have you ever actually been to a British soccer game, Professor? Its as if you stepped into mosh pit of 80,000 belligerent, drunken hooligans and somehow a soccer game broke out.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Actually, there is a huge appetite for professional sport in the UK. London has 13 full-time professional soccer teams, 5 of which play in the Premier league - 19 home games in a season.

You could argue this leaves no room for new sports but that view isn't supported by evidence - you can't really argue with the speed and amount of ticket sales for NFL games in the UK.

Also, Hooliganism pretty much disappeared from professional sport in the UK in the late 1980s. I reckon there are more fans arrested at your average Eagles game than at any Premiership football match.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tzaralides. Show tzaralides's posts

The revenues behind this game in London was surely tremendous. NFL merchandise all over the place... I saw a lot of very happy faces (including myself) that had a chance to see a game in Europe.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: europe dosnt care about the NFL : Actually, there is a huge appetite for professional sport in the UK. London has 13 full-time professional soccer teams, 5 of which play in the Premier league - 19 home games in a season. You could argue this leaves no room for new sports but that view isn't supported by evidence - you can't really argue with the speed and amount of ticket sales for NFL games in the UK. Also, Hooliganism pretty much disappeared from professional sport in the UK in the late 1980s. I reckon there are more fans arrested at your average Eagles game than at any Premiership football match.
    Posted by TomiW[/QUOTE]

Disappeared? That must be why other European countries have lists of Brits they don't allow into their countries.

Besides the bottom line is that it does nothing for the sport and and due to time zone differences the logistics of having a permanent London team would be ridiculous. Pro football makes plenty of money for everyone involved as it is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

If there is such a hunger for football in Europe, wouldn't one think that NFL Europe would have done better?  As many have said here, a novelty creates curiousity, once you see how it works, novelty wears off and you only pay attention because you want to.  Will fans in London be that way after 1 or 2 games?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from overhere. Show overhere's posts

Part of the reason NFL Europe flopped was that it wasn't the NFL (so those fans who already knew about football knew they were watching an inferior product), and it wasn't well marketed (so those people who didn't know about football never had the chance to find out).  I was a season ticket holder for the London Monarchs and knew the players I was watching were not quite good enough for the NFL.

It's also a dilemma for established fans: I saw my first Patriots game on TV in 1984 so whatever happens in London or anywhere else in Europe with a new NFL franchise I'm going to be a Pats fan first.  I'd go to the new franchise's games, as watching football in real life is better than the TV, but I'd go as a Pats fan.

The other problem is talent; the available high calibre players are stretched pretty thin over the league as it is, creating another franchise or a European division is going to stretch that talent way thinner.

I was at Wembley for the game; the vast majority of people there were already fans and had a good idea what was going on and were enjoying themselves, although most neutrals were rooting for Tampa Bay as they were the underdogs.  No violence (I see too many soccer hooligans in my job), just a really good atmosphere.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomiW. Show TomiW's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: europe dosnt care about the NFL : Disappeared? That must be why other European countries have lists of Brits they don't allow into their countries. Besides the bottom line is that it does nothing for the sport and and due to time zone differences the logistics of having a permanent London team would be ridiculous. Pro football makes plenty of money for everyone involved as it is.
    Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]

Ever country has lists of foreigners who aren't allowed to enter. Anyone convicted of violence at or near a football ground will be banned for life, prosecuted and will have their passport taken away when their team or the national team travels abroad. My central point is that your characterisation of football hooliganism is badly out of date.

If you are correct about everyone making plenty of money why do franchises move around so much (Houston, LA x2, Cleveland all lost teams) and why are the owners of others (Bills, Jaguars) always complaining about a lack of money?

The NFL comes to London because the owners believe that there are good, sound business reasons to do so.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomiW. Show TomiW's posts

[QUOTE]If there is such a hunger for football in Europe, wouldn't one think that NFL Europe would have done better?  As many have said here, a novelty creates curiousity, once you see how it works, novelty wears off and you only pay attention because you want to.  Will fans in London be that way after 1 or 2 games?
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

NFL Europe folded for the same reasons that the USFL, XFL and Arena folded - it's not the NFL.