This article said it all to me:
http://www.csnne.com/pages/landing?Curran-Belichick-throws-the-challenge-fl=1&blockID=101134&feedID=3352

It described why Belichick has looked especially sad following the past two losses - I figured he knew something about the fabric of the team that I didn't know, but I had no idea that the problems ran this deep.

It really is the culmination of a group of guys who clearly aren't mentally tough enough to handle adversity.  It shows when they can't score in the red zone, it shows when they can't make stops on 3rd downs, it shows when they can't close games.

Burgess? Curran sums it up perfectly - a guy who seemed like he showed up just to collect a paycheck after submitting a poor performance in the game and on the season.

Moss?  Looks closer and closer to checking out for the season.

Thomas?  Now we know why Belichick won't use him as a rush linebacker.  To do so would undermine his authority over the team and give legitimacy to malcontents instead of promoting the concept of doing your job selflessly.

Faulk said he'd been worried since Indianapolis, and I wonder if players second-guessed Belichick (and again on Sunday).  I'm amused that players didn't place more accountability on themselves for losing and failing to make plays throughout the game.  Championships aren't won by blaming others and aren't awarded on merit.  They're earned by teams that put work into their craft day in and day out regardless of whether or not they agree with the coach or think that the team is a legitimate contender.

I played right tackle my junior year.  I was the 3rd fastest kid in the South Coast Conference, and 20th fastest 300m dash runner in the state that year.  I hated every minute that I played that position, but I only gave up one sack all year and my despise for being mired at tackle for lack of popularity didn't affect my ability to do my job one g*dd*mn bit.  It breaks my heart to see players as talented as Thomas and Burgess p*ss it away when I'll probably never get to play again.

It'll be interesting to see where this team goes from here.