Everyone overlooked Mayo's impact

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Everyone overlooked Mayo's impact

just looked horrible today against the run. Hightower isnt the guy we thought he was and SPikes has played good once agiasnt Cincy

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Everyone overlooked Mayo's impact

I sure did, I thought Hightower was ready, but he's not. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Not impressed with Hightower at all. 

Hopefully he improves as the season moves forward.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i know you may think i'm lying but literally i said "mayo done for year, this D is done." to my friend right when i found out the injury. Mayo was the most underrated LB in the NFL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i know you may think i'm lying but literally i said "mayo done for year, this D is done." to my friend right when i found out the injury. Mayo was the most underrated LB in the NFL

[/QUOTE]

I never thought he was anything less than good, never thought any LB could replace him outside of Willis or the guy from the Rams whose name I can't spell, but wow. I regret how much I took him for him for granted. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Mayo is good.

Hightower is just fat, slow and bad a making decisions.

Nice first round pick!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Meh...

They had their ups & downs, but I think the bigger issue was the use of the nickel in obvious running situations. When they trotted their base 3-4 out there, they were fine against the run.

The bigger problem is the lack of Talib.

The defense had their times... some good, some bad. They weren't the reason we lost, though. The offense was entirely inconsistent, the defense the same, and the Jets had the zebras in their pockets. 

Losses happen, players & teams have bad days. The Jets have never been a friendly team to play on the road, and nothing changed. 

Ultimately, what matters the most, is that the Pats are 5-2 and sitting atop the AFC East. Big game next week, but this team is fine. Had these same insane reactions following the Bengals loss... and then we beat the Saints.

Great teams lose sometimes... it happens. We're 5-2 and atop the division. All is well. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I never thought he was anything less than good, never thought any LB could replace him outside of Willis or the guy from the Rams whose name I can't spell, but wow. I regret how much I took him for him for granted. 

[/QUOTE]

everyone did. to me, mayo is a Bruschi but doesn't cause the clutch TO like Tedy used to.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Hightower is 6ft3  270 pounds????? Um, yeah, he shouldn't be playing in space. Mayo was the cover guy, Spikes the run stuffer, Hightower the versatile playerr who I for one would frikin love to see rush the passer a few plays.

I don't understand the negativity against Hightower, he had 11 tackles and a qb hit. He limited the jets run game until the 4rth qtr when we were worried about rex gambling deep against us for the game winner. He got burnt a few times trying to cover a RB or TE but at 270 pounds I would say no chit.

Mayo is a bigger loss then any player not named Tom Brady. Including VW.

Doesn't look good for us this year, as the defense has taken too many hits already. We would need Collins to make a tremendous jump his rookie year.

WHERE WAS FLETCHER?????? I think we need a coverage LBer no????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

I think we learned today that hightower is too damn slow- i think we should put dane fletcher in there-

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

I didn't, Mayo is a leader on D and a tackling machine

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I really don't think that the loss of Mayo was the reason for our defeat. We managed to stop the running game for the most part but the critical 3rd down conversions by Smith were what killed our defense. What we really missed was Talib. Arrington gets beat time after time, so does Gregory and worst of all was Hightower out there not being able to cover anyone. With Talib out we went back to being the 29th ranked secondary in the league, a secondary that had a habit of making 2nd rate QBs look like all-pros. And for most of the day the pressure up front wasn't there either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I didn't, Mayo is a leader on D and a tackling machine

[/QUOTE]

LB's job is difficult. Add in being the "defensive QB", that's no cakewalk. People just under value that role.

That said, I am not surprised the D was not very efficient on the first time that Hightower got the headphone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

No Wilfork, no Mayo, no Super Bowl. Ain't happening.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great teams lose sometimes... it happens. We're 5-2 and atop the division. All is well. 

[/QUOTE]

This is true but do you honestly consider the current Patriots, injuries and all, to be a great team? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Mayo is one of the premium LBers in the league; he was clearly missed Sun. The Pats are missing their 3 best defensive players going forward; not sure what the outlook is on Talib; a few weeks?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Btw,

The Jets showed what you can do by committing to a run game that isn't very productive. rex brought Chris Ivory back and fed him 34 CARRIES. Pounded the ball right down our throats at 3.1 yard per carry.

We lead for over half the game

Ridley had 11 carries?

Ridley averaged a yard and a half more then Ivory.

Ivory sucks

Ridley doesn't.

Jets rushed 3 or 4 and dropped 7 or 8.

We kept throwing

Pick 6

Sack fumble

etc,

etc

etc

?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Btw,

The Jets showed what you can do by committing to a run game that isn't very productive. rex brought Chris Ivory back and fed him 34 CARRIES. Pounded the ball right down our throats at 3.1 yard per carry.

Ridley had 11 carries?

Ivory sucks

Ridley doesn't.

We kept throwing

Pick 6

Sack fumble

etc,

etc

etc

?

[/QUOTE]

Agree. We can complain all day long about Rex and the jets, but the one thing I give them credit for is the commitment to the run. Mcdaniels for whatever reason doesn't get it. We were successful running early and should have kept it going all game. 

The massive amounts of 3 and outs was largely due to 3 passes in a row, rarely miXing in any runs to keep the jets d honest. Up by 11 or so at the end of the half in perfect position to score before halftime, what do,we do? Pass some more.

and then targeting Gronk 17 times? What gives? 

Bb needs to put Josh on the straighnt and narrow. Given the state of,our depleted defense and the skill of our rb's, we need to think about mimicking the jets strategy of pounding the rock and playing solid d. TOP was horrible last game, jets had the ball twice as long as us. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

just looked horrible today against the run. Hightower isnt the guy we thought he was and SPikes has played good once agiasnt Cincy

[/QUOTE]

I didn't

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Btw,

Ridley had 11 carries?

Ivory sucks

Ridley doesn't.

We kept throwing

Pick 6

Sack fumble

etc,

etc

etc

?

[/QUOTE]

People will never agree with you on this because if they do they know (ok some will still have no clue), that the Pats could have run the ball more in either SB loss even with a less than ideal end of game stat line on ypc and had it still make a difference in more than one way.