Exactly what is meant when one is labeled as a 'homer?'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Exactly what is meant when one is labeled as a 'homer?'

I'm truly curious about this.  What is the criteria for labeling someone a homer?  Is it someone who supports any and every decision made by the GM/HC?  Or is it someone who simply doesn't agree with certain posters' solutions?   Or is there some other criteria?  I really don't know and since I'm often labeled as one I'd like to understand.  Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Exactly what is meant when one is labeled as a 'homer?'

I think it's when one poster sees his/her viewpoints as more valid than your own and when you make a counterpoint you're labled as a homer for not seeing things their way.   At least that's how it plays out on this board.  Too many people see one side of the coin and can't accept that for as much insight contained in their point, other people bring valid points too.  We're all fans, no one in this place draws a paycheck making personnel decisions or drawing up plays/schemes for a living.   I try to read and respond keeping that in mind. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I would say it is disdaining objectivity in order to promote the home team's evaluation. It's not being a bad person. It just makes the analysis invalid because it is tainted badly.

I think some believe if they are critical they somehow are being a bad fan. Rooting for the team and being an honest analyst are two different things.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

On this forum, I think it's someone who doesn't agree with certain poster's solutions.

You are labeled  either a homer, troll, moron, idiot, BBBW, BBW or as Babe likes to say Dumpkoff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Cannot stand criticism of the team or the stars of the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm truly curious about this.  What is the criteria for labeling someone a homer?  Is it someone who supports any and every decision made by the GM/HC?  Or is it someone who simply doesn't agree with certain posters' solutions?   Or is there some other criteria?  I really don't know and since I'm often labeled as one I'd like to understand.  Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Believe me...the problem isn't you or me.  There's just a select group of people who are not comfortable considering any ideas outside the realm of their own very narrow and rigid thinking.  We call these individuals, "homerphobic".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it's when one poster sees his/her viewpoints as more valid than your own and when you make a counterpoint you're labled as a homer for not seeing things their way.   At least that's how it plays out on this board.  Too many people see one side of the coin and can't accept that for as much insight is intheir point, other people bring valid points too.  We're all fans, no one in this place draws a paycheck making personnel decisions or drawing up plays/schemes for a living. 

[/QUOTE]

It's not about simply disagreeing. It's about never being willing to criticize aspects of your own team due to prejudice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Well, 1st I consider the source. If guys are calling  me a homer and their entire purpose on this board is attacking this Patriots team by saying they have no talent, their defense sucks, BB doesn't know how to build teams(so funny to look at that statement in print) etc.... then I must he doing something right as I am a fan of the N.E Patriots and we have only missed the playoffs twice in 13 years.

Also, if you look at this team objectively, you see a team that under went a defensive rebuild from 2009 to 2012. Last year and this year the Defense turned a major corner even though they struggled the last games of the season(as did the offense and their 15 ppg) .

The team is loaded with top round picks, and is a healthy off season away from a return to the SB in my eyes. Considering they were 1 game away with the rash of injuries and lack of cohesion on offense I would say that is not a homer point of view but a reality.

This is a good football team, and it is great to be a Patriot fan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HomerHead. Show HomerHead's posts

I don't know.

But what I do know is Bill Belichick is always right.

Best Coach and GM ever.

All refs are against us.

Roger Goodell hates us.

Every team is in cap hell.

All other fans jealousy is delicious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Think when someomes judgment about subjective stuff such as 

-clean hit / dirty hit

-ref calls

-moral standing of team practives vs other teams

-opinion of front office moves

is severly lopsided and distorted in favor of their adopted team

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to HomerHead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know.

But what I do know is Bill Belichick is always right.

Best Coach and GM ever.

All refs are against us.

Roger Goodell hates us.

Every team is in cap hell.

All other fans jealousy is delicious.

[/QUOTE]

Nice

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can only speak for myself. They think everyone on the team is great, greater and greatest.  They seem to ignore facts, context and anything else just to make the point that the guys on their team are better than others. Its ok to like your team and show them love but you MUST educate yourself on the rest of the teams in the league # 1 and # 2 you have to take YOUR BIAS out the equation. This to me is my # 1 strenght. I can make assesments of my team without using MY bias. I call it straight.

For example, the village eediot. He will make up any wild conspiracry just to keep from admitting player A isnt that good. Even coaches. For instance, rusty will NEVER give Parcells ANY PROPS because he still believes Parcells left us high and dry and refuses to give him credit for drafting anyone or ever turning around a franchise despite doing it Here, Miami and Dallas. He found Romo, Wake, Ware, etc. A bunch of guys who have had success.

To me a homer is a person who cant take their fandom out of the discussion. No ability to rationally make opinions that make sense. No ability to remove their bias from the discussion. They think the players on our team are the best. They think the coach can do NO wrong and they are just happy no matter what.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think it's when one poster sees his/her viewpoints as more valid than your own and when you make a counterpoint you're labled as a homer for not seeing things their way.   At least that's how it plays out on this board.  Too many people see one side of the coin and can't accept that for as much insight is intheir point, other people bring valid points too.  We're all fans, no one in this place draws a paycheck making personnel decisions or drawing up plays/schemes for a living. 

It's not about simply disagreeing. It's about never being willing to criticize aspects of your own team due to prejudice.

[/QUOTE]

Babe, I know what you're saying, and criticising certain aspects of your team is fine. But it's clear to me that a lot of us can't agree where BB fits in the panthoen of GMs, how important the running game is or whether guys like Mayo or Ridley s*ck or are good players.  Arguments about these topics always lead to being called "homer" or "troll", depending where your opinion lies.  So yes, it is about arguing because what you (not you personally) argue is a valid criticism is apt to be seen as wrong by others.  Most threads follow this exact pattern.  If you can't agree with me here, you are a troll!  (Just kidding!)

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I think some believe if they are critical they somehow are being a bad fan. Rooting for the team and being an honest analyst are two different things.

This from Babe made me lol.

To him this applies to everyone from Kraft , BB the coach or GM, his staff and all the MEDIOCRE players EXCEPT his boy toy Brady. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cannot stand criticism of the team or the stars of the team.

[/QUOTE]

^ - This comes close and add..   has a high belief the team can win every single game it plays without a realistic expectation the team could lose. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HomerHead. Show HomerHead's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think people with mental illness like the BBW Guild who can never admit Brady has done anything wrong, simply have mental illness.

They're not homers, they're sick.  A homer is someone thinks the team can never do any wrong.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  We both know nobody is perfect except of course Bill Belichick. 

All those other people thinking Brady is perfect are sick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

It's just a label a few posters on this board use to describe people that don't agree with them instead of providing any substantive analysis.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think it's when one poster sees his/her viewpoints as more valid than your own and when you make a counterpoint you're labled as a homer for not seeing things their way.   At least that's how it plays out on this board.  Too many people see one side of the coin and can't accept that for as much insight contained in their point, other people bring valid points too.  We're all fans, no one in this place draws a paycheck making personnel decisions or drawing up plays/schemes for a living.   I try to read and respond keeping that in mind. 

[/QUOTE]

That's not even close to what a homer is. A disagreement is a disagreement. A homer is someone who cannot add a context (know about other players or teams) and isn't objective.

I think people with mental illness like the BBW Guild who can never admit Brady has done anything wrong, simply have mental illness.

They're not homers, they're sick.  A homer is someone thinks the team can never do any wrong.

The only homer I can think of here is MightyPatriots.  We don't really have many homers here.  We have people who mostly bash BB because the entire media contingent condition them to do so as they make money off their naive outlook, or we have a small amount of very educated and objective Pats fans trying have intelligent discussions without being harrassed. The rest are trolls.

[/QUOTE]

Some here may argue that your arguments for BB as GM are homerish, while you say Brady defenders are blind to the facts about the failure of this team at points  -- which makes them what?  Homers?  Trolls?  IDK.  You say you have objectivity on your side, while others think they're on the right side too.  Me?  I don't have labels really, except for the true dobbers who come here trying to take the pish.

It's not so black or white in my mind on most things.   Truth be told, I can see a kernel of truth in what a lot of posters (with exceptions) bring to the table.  But what I try to do is take in all points of view and move on while reconciling my opinion against the opinions of others.  You can't aree with everyone and I've seen people constantly labeled as troll or homer and it's a bit much.   

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

Fantasy Football homer

Tom Brady
    Steve Ridley me this
    Gronk's Backup
    Amendola

Vereen on the bench

Over extending your belief in the players on your favorite team when in reality they are not the best.  Gronk is the best and deserves to be first TE drafted on your team.  Taking his backup in any round but the last round is being a homer.  LOVE for welker as a patriot.  HATE for welker as a Bronco.  It's ok to hate welker for the Drop in the superbowl.  That's when I was over him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can only speak for myself. They think everyone on the team is great, greater and greatest.  They seem to ignore facts, context and anything else just to make the point that the guys on their team are better than others. Its ok to like your team and show them love but you MUST educate yourself on the rest of the teams in the league # 1 and # 2 you have to take YOUR BIAS out the equation. This to me is my # 1 strenght. I can make assesments of my team without using MY bias. I call it straight.

For example, the village eediot. He will make up any wild conspiracry just to keep from admitting player A isnt that good. Even coaches. For instance, rusty will NEVER give Parcells ANY PROPS because he still believes Parcells left us high and dry and refuses to give him credit for drafting anyone or ever turning around a franchise despite doing it Here, Miami and Dallas. He found Romo, Wake, Ware, etc. A bunch of guys who have had success.

To me a homer is a person who cant take their fandom out of the discussion. No ability to rationally make opinions that make sense. No ability to remove their bias from the discussion. They think the players on our team are the best. They think the coach can do NO wrong and they are just happy no matter what.

[/QUOTE]

I give Parcells credot for Wake, Ware, etc.   He also draft Bobby Carpeneter and many other busts in Dallas and Miami and got fleeced on the Marshall deal. He also drafted Pat White.

I go by facts. That's what I do. Parcells was also NEVER a GM here, nor was Carroll.  Parcells was a great coach who became an average coach without BB. More facts.  Carroll was a TERRIBLE and cluleless NFL coach until cupcaking into a situation that was set up well for him by 

People are laughing their balls off right now watching you pretend Carroll was great here, as if somehow the entire fanbase forgot the late 1990s with the pumped andd jacked sell job and the pathetic, frontrunning PAts teams of that era.  Guess what? We don't forget. Diehard fans don't forget.

Quite convenient you want to overrate everyone BUT BB here, as you don't give BB a fair shake because you think he's a big meanie and is ruining your experience, because the media tells you to react that way.

I have plenty of context, too because I left home. I went to college. I have friends all over the country, many of whom fans of other CRAPPY franchises led by moron owners, GMs or coaches. So, I know.

Meanwhile, you have NONE of the above.  Y

You wallow in your little miserable world of the Fellowship of the Miserable, tune into the rado stations that feed that and make money off of you.  You can't even see it. There is a very special category for fans like you, and starts with the word MENTAL. lol

We all know it.  So, just forget it.  Go look at the FA thread that Mt Hurl started. I know the league, I know the players, I know the organizations. Know it cold.

I am just not a moron who is easily led by the media and I know that we have it really, really good right now with Kraft and BB steering the ship.

You want abuse? Go to Detroit. Go to Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago. All GREAT NFL fanbases, with many deluded homers.  But, deep down they are jealous to the moon and back of what we have.

Finally, you idiots with the low IQs hold every single element of this team to an incredibly, high and irrational standard and then cherrypick another team's handful of good or great players, as those teams go 7-9 or 9-7 every year.

An objective person would choose what we have overall and not that.

We've been spoiled big time in this town especially with the HOF or borderline HOF players from the dynasty era. Some of us realize you can't snap a finger and re-create those players over-night, stupid.

That's a lot different than being a homer.  I will out-debate you on any football, baseball or hockey topic to the moon and back, Shizzles. You can keep your Brady panties on your head and be miserable.  You can also keep the NBA topics. Those are yours. lol

[/QUOTE]

thx for proving my point. You def. won THIS debate cuz no way Im reading all that spin/bs.   You started off your response with a bunch of irrelevent deflections that are all off topic. Why am I not surprised...??

Why are you bringing up the nba again??  I hope those arent more of your racial undertones cuz they are disguised badly. Id rather not do this w/YOU today. I have a lot to do so happy posting. You win.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rusty

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Guilty as charged... i am one of those "homers" who thinks we are very fortunate as a fan base to have an owner that cares about the product he puts out, (and yes he is out to make money while he is at it) a Coach/GM who when it is all said and done will be regarded as one of the best (and yes he makes mistakes... name a GM/coach that doesn't) and a QB who in my opinion is one of the greatest to ever play the position. 

Unfortunately, I am old enough to remember much of the history of this organization prior to Kraft and don't get me wrong they had some real good teams but they have never had the consistency or success they have had for the last 20 years.