Expectations for WR Jeremy Ebert?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

Expectations for WR Jeremy Ebert?

What do you guys think about this kid. I am a fan of the Pats and the Panthers (having moved from Massachusetts to North Carolina a few years ago) and I really liked this kids for the Panthers, as they don't have a Welker-like slot guy. Turns out he falls to the Patriots and I am afraid he gets lost in the shuffle.

I think he has a lot of potential, and gamebreaking speed for the slot position. I really hope he sticks.

What do you guys think about the pick and where he fits on the team?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Expectations for WR Jeremy Ebert?

Good fit for their scheme.  Fluid, fast, tough, smart, good route runner, catches the ball well, has RAC ability and projects well to their short/intermediate passing game.  Much more proven as a WR at this point in their careers when compared to Julian. 

Will prob have to make a name for himself on ST as well if he wants to stick, but the skill set is there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Between Edelman, Gonzalez, Ebert, Branch, Woodhead, Vareen and Hernandez it appears there are enough slot position, short passing middle of the field options for Welker to be VERY expendable

and we still are pretty weak (in terms of a known quality, not quantity) at RB. Hmmmm....

(Welker for Forte or Stewart??)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

Pats don't appear to be into Welker at the money he wants longer term thus they are looking at potential replacements while also looking to upgrade their P/K return game.  And, they are bringing in as much talent as they can to emerge with the best roster possible.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Expectations for WR Jeremy Ebert?:
    [QUOTE]Hmmmm.... (Welker for Forte or Stewart??)
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

No thanks.

Keep Wes for at least one more year.

Rather give up next years #1 for Forte

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

If he's on the team my expectation would be that he would catch passes.  No?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Between Edelman, Gonzalez, Ebert, Branch, Woodhead, Vareen and Hernandez it appears there are enough slot position, short passing middle of the field options for Welker to be VERY expendable and we still are pretty weak (in terms of a known quality, not quantity) at RB. Hmmmm.... (Welker for Forte or Stewart??)

Interesting. The only thing I have to wonder though is...what about Vareen? The guy was drafted in the second round for a reason (although we did just select Wilson as a super reach). I honestly think Ebert would come in and play the slot better than Edelman right now, not Welker of course, but Edelman.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

The next Branch with better wheels?  The hope at least?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

7th round pick? I expect 10 year starter with at least 4 Probowls (if there happens to be a Probowl...)...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]7th round pick? I expect 10 year starter with at least 4 Probowls (if there happens to be a Probowl...)...
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

What? no HOF?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

When was the last time Brady developed a WR? Deion Branch was the last guy BB brought in and Brady perfected their rhythm and timing. The rest, if Brady doesn't like something about them (Galloway, Ocho, Holt) he just doesn't throw them the ball at all. 

That's one thing Manning has always been better than Brady at, Manning is a better teacher. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]When was the last time Brady developed a WR? Deion Branch was the last guy BB brought in and Brady perfected their rhythm and timing. The rest, if Brady doesn't like something about them (Galloway, Ocho, Holt) he just doesn't throw them the ball at all.  That's one thing Manning has always been better than Brady at, Manning is a better teacher. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Maybe the receivers should develop themselves.
    If they're not where they're not supposed to be consistently,  No balls!
    If there is no trust, No balls!
    Sometimes receivers that were good in one system have to break habits to be good in another.  That's difficult when being in other systems for years.
    The Pats obviously utilized their TE's more as they were the leading receivers minus Welker.
    Has Ellie developed 2 TE's and additional receivers and 2 new RB's in a year?
    Wasn't Holt injured and retired before the season even began?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]7th round pick? I expect 10 year starter with at least 4 Probowls (if there happens to be a Probowl...)...
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

Including Pro Bowl in rookie season.  Anything less and he's a bust  Wink

Actually, if he could be Branch II, that would be great

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Good fit for their scheme.  Fluid, fast, tough, smart, good route runner, catches the ball well, has RAC ability and projects well to their short/intermediate passing game.  Much more proven as a WR at this point in their careers when compared to Julian.  Will prob have to make a name for himself on ST as well if he wants to stick, but the skill set is there.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

i think this is the third thread i have reponded to on him.
    with jsut he little bit ive seen of film on him, i compare him much more to welker.
    here are soem of my thoughts echoed below in Corey Chavous words (of DraftNasty.com)

On Jeremy Ebert:
    ”He’s one of those guys who can work in the slot. He had a strong pro day. He showed strong short area quickness. What I like about him, is he’s got sneaky speed. That’s a very intriguing pick, especially when he can learn from a guy like Welker. I think he’s a better, more natural slot receiver than (Julian) Edelman. So he comes in more polished as a slot receiver than Edelman did.”

peace

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Too early to tell, but I think there's a possibility he could end up taking Edelman's spot. I doubt BB will keep Gonzalez, Edelman, Welker, and Ebert on the 53-man roster, so at least one and maybe two of those guys is likely to go.  Assuming Welker signs the franchise tender (or a longer term deal), I doubt he'll be the one to go.  So that leaves Edelman and Ebert (and maybe also Gonzalez) competing for one position.  We'll have to see how things shake out in the preseason.  Until we see everyone on the field it's hard to guess . . .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think immediately he comes in and competes for a KR position. Given that was an area of weakness last year he could potential upgrade that position.

Like Bredbru said, he's closer to a Welker then an Edelman at this point simply because of his experience as a WR as a whole. I see him competing for Edelmans spot on the roster and taking it over if he proves to be a better return man. But, I don't see him as a likely replacement for Welker next year if that's what some are thinking. He might never become the same type of WR that Welker is and if he does then it might time a couple years to get up to that level

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i expect to see him at camp and battle for a position! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

I really think this guy will make the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]i expect to see him at camp and battle for a position! 
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Agree.  Beyond that is unrealistic for a 7th rd pick.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]Between Edelman, Gonzalez, Ebert, Branch, Woodhead, Vareen and Hernandez it appears there are enough slot position, short passing middle of the field options for Welker to be VERY expendable and we still are pretty weak (in terms of a known quality, not quantity) at RB. Hmmmm.... (Welker for Forte or Stewart??)

Rameakap - I don't agree with your statement that Welker is "very" expendable. I do agree that we have a handful of players, Edelman and Gonzalez to start with, that can play the slot. But none, whether indiviudally or collectively, will deliver 50% of Welker's productivity nor be the comfort blanket TB so oftens needs (not intended to be a knock on TB).

In a passing league like this you don't give up the MOST productive WR in the league over the last 5 years for a RB. We have running backs and can get a whole lot more but you do not assume that simply having the bodies means that the best RB becomes expendable. Same for WW.

Separately, I am hoping Vereen has a break out year. I was high on him before we drafted him and I still think he can be a very, very good feature back. But the jury is out for now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Expectations for WR Jeremy Ebert? : Interesting. The only thing I have to wonder though is...what about Vareen? The guy was drafted in the second round for a reason (although we did just select Wilson as a super reach). I honestly think Ebert would come in and play the slot better than Edelman right now, not Welker of course, but Edelman.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I think you might be right mthurl. Edelman is so dangerous when he gets his hands on the ball but so far he just has not "got it" yet - playing WR in this O. Ebert could just be one very good player.

I also remain hopeful and curious about Vereen. He had flashes and he was special in college. He could be a really good feature back and deliver lots of total yards between running and receiving.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

Ebert will either take Branch's or Gonzo's spot on the roster, or he'll get cut and end up on the PS

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I like this kid and I believe if he gets waived at end of camp in hopes for the practice squad the Pats will see him get signed to another team's 53 man roster.  Which is what I think will happen so I have no expectations other than watching him with another team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Expectations for WR Jeremy Ebert?:
    [QUOTE]What do you guys think about this kid. I am a fan of the Pats and the Panthers (having moved from Massachusetts to North Carolina a few years ago) and I really liked this kids for the Panthers, as they don't have a Welker-like slot guy. Turns out he falls to the Patriots and I am afraid he gets lost in the shuffle. I think he has a lot of potential, and gamebreaking speed for the slot position. I really hope he sticks. What do you guys think about the pick and where he fits on the team?
    Posted by oh-my-beard[/QUOTE]

This kid has everything you would want in a slot+ guy. MB already highlighted it. Like you, my concern is he gets lost in the shuffle and not developed properly. Seems to be the Pats MO with WRs. 
    I think he is an instant upgrade at WR over Edelman and Slater. My guess is he may even be able to supplant a couple of others on the roster. I think this kid could be productive year 1 in the PR/KR game, and with limited action at WR based on how they develop him and where he sits on the depth chart. I would make it a point to give him playing time if he shows good things in camp like he does on tape.