Explain the waiver deal to me like I'm a 3rd grader

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Explain the waiver deal to me like I'm a 3rd grader

So teams can put in a waiver claim until 4pm Eastern time Wednesday.  If o teams put in a waiver claim by that time Moss is an unrestricted free agent and can sighn with any team.  Easy enough!

But, am I understanding this correctly?

Any team interested in picking Moss up can put in a waiver claim.  The highest team on the waiver list get's Moss, is this correct?

And if Moss refuses to sign with that team then he can not play the remainder of this year and will be a free agent next year, is this correct?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Explain the waiver deal to me like I'm a 3rd grader

yep you are completely correct. The one big thing is that the team who put the claim on him has his rights even if he doesn't show up so they can toss the franchise tag on him or if he signs with another team in the off-season and the league decides he's worth a comp pick the team with his rights gets the pick. So a lower team might toss in a waiver claim knowing that Moss might not show up and they might get a free pick for him since they don't have to pay him a dime if he doesn't show up

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Thats how I understand it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

He can't get franchised. I thought Minnesota put that clause into his agreement a day after he was traded.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Assuming his "Players Contract" means they also assume his no-Franchise clause. So what Patseng said would be true barring this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Z - that is if the club puts him as ineligible, but if Moss doesn't show up then it's a breach of contract on Moss's part and they don't need to pay him while he sits out.

AP - from my understanding Vikings promised they wouldn't tag him but his contract was never altered. Even if it was I believe the claiming team assumes the remainder of the base contract owed but not any non guarantied bonuses or structures in place. But I could be wrong on this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't know for sure, and we are both speculating as to how the NFL receives these rules but:

Ineligibility: Any NFL player who is declared ineligible to compete in a pre-season, regular season or post-season game because of a breach by any NFL Club by whom he is employed of waiver procedures and regulations, or any other provision of the NFL Constitution and Bylaws, will be paid the salary or other compensation which he would have received if he had not been declared ineligible, which, in any event, will be a minimum of one week’s salary and, when applicable, expense payments. 

But I think that "breach" could be construed as not showing up. You don't show up, you are ineligible to play, you have breached contract. That is actually how you word it, because that is the most classic "breach." So when an active player sits out, their team declares them ineligible to play because of breach of contract. I think that is the only way they can avoid paying him, because even if they cut him, they still need to pay the remainder of guaranteed dollars.

But I am not sure enough to list it that strongly as "FACT" but that is how I am reading it now.

The funny part is that it all comes down to the comma...one comma after breach and before "BY" would make this much clearer to me. 

And FWIW, I thought Minny did, in fact, add a no-Franchise clause to his contract?? I thought it was part of getting him to take the deal. And yes, if he has it, it stays because the claiming team isn't getting the player, but they are rather assuming the contract.

And no, they aren't on the line for his bonus. NE would still be on the hook for that, you can't trade or pro-rate trade bonuses that have already been paid. That is standard operating procedure that  happened before he was waived.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

So we can pretty much forget about Moss coming back to the Patriots then I guess.  There is at least one team out there who will take a chance on him and I really wouldn't put it past the jets to put in a waiver slip just to make sure Moss doesn't end up back in NE.

Okay folks, carry on!  Randy Moss will not be coming back to NE!!  Dang it, anyways!  Fun thought while it lasted.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Any NFL player who is declared ineligible to compete in a pre-season, regular season or post-season game because of a breach by any NFL Club

Thats the part where if the club sits him they must pay him but if he sits it's not a breach by the club and is considered a hold out which the team is not accountable for. Since his contract is only breached by Minny if he clears waivers or the team that claims him if he shows up to practice and games and they make him ineligible. If he doesn't show up it's not a breach by the team but on his part. Otherwise players like Mankins could sign their tenders then just refuse to show up and collect a check

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

The order of this is

Player gets cut

Team with worse record gets first dibs if they decline then it moves on to the second worse record and if they decline again it goes to the third worst team till it gets to the best overall record in the NFL which is right now the Patriots. 

If the player isnt claimed then they are a FA and can sign with whatever team.

Not difficult 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

This is how it works: Teams can put in a waiver claim until 4pm Eastern time Wednesday.  If o teams put in a waiver claim by that time Moss is an unrestricted free agent and can sighn with any team.  Easy enough!

Any team interested in picking Moss up can put in a waiver claim.  The highest team on the waiver list get's Moss.

And if Moss refuses to sign with that team then he can not play the remainder of this year and will be a free agent next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WelkerRules. Show WelkerRules's posts

In Response to Re: Explain the waiver deal to me like I'm a 3rd grader:
    [QUOTE]This is how it works: Teams can put in a waiver claim until 4pm Eastern time Wednesday.  If o teams put in a waiver claim by that time Moss is an unrestricted free agent and can sighn with any team.  Easy enough! Any team interested in picking Moss up can put in a waiver claim.  The highest team on the waiver list get's Moss. And if Moss refuses to sign with that team then he can not play the remainder of this year and will be a free agent next year.
    Posted by Homecheese[/QUOTE]

So then he could pick to come back to N.E.? On Jason La canoforia twitter he writes that a general feeling from GMs he has talked to is that Randy may very well end up back in N.E.

I read it on his twitter and I think I first saw the comment on the NFL.com network site. Oops spelled Jasons last name wrong but you all know who I mean.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

If Moss clears the waiver wire the VikQueens pay the remainder of his 2010 salary and he can re negotiate another deal and effectively double dip. If someone puts in a claim for him and he does not show they still have rights to place a tag him next year.

Similar to the Tampa Bay / Jake Plumber deal, cept Plumber was traded.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Explain the waiver deal to me like I'm a 3rd grader:
    [QUOTE]So teams can put in a waiver claim until 4pm Eastern time Wednesday.  If o teams put in a waiver claim by that time Moss is an unrestricted free agent and can sighn with any team.  Easy enough! But, am I understanding this correctly? Any team interested in picking Moss up can put in a waiver claim.  The highest team on the waiver list get's Moss, is this correct? And if Moss refuses to sign with that team then he can not play the remainder of this year and will be a free agent next year, is this correct?
    Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]

I'll give it try

See Moss Waived

Go Moss Go

See Sally Bid On Moss

Bid Sally Bid

See Roger open the bids

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Explain the waiver deal to me like I'm a 3rd grader:
    [QUOTE]So we can pretty much forget about Moss coming back to the Patriots then I guess.  There is at least one team out there who will take a chance on him and I really wouldn't put it past the jets to put in a waiver slip just to make sure Moss doesn't end up back in NE. Okay folks, carry on!  Randy Moss will not be coming back to NE!!  Dang it, anyways!  Fun thought while it lasted.
    Posted by BradyMossFan[/QUOTE]

Consider this also...The internet is already rife with rumors of a Patriots secret plan to 'steal' a draft pick then get Moss back. Yeah I know it's idiotic but Kraft is pretty squeamish when it comes to even the slightest hint of impropriety. This coupled with Moss's emotional instability and the fact that he wouldn't be coming back next year anyway makes the negatives of bringing him back way bigger than the positives.