Extension for Talib?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Extension for Talib?

He has only one year left on his contract.  Giving up a 4th is steep for a one year rental I feel.  Do Pats extended him?  And for how much?

I will say this.... this year has been great with all the allocations to the D side of the ball.

Go Pats!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Re: Extension for Talib?

Given his history you'd have to think he's gotta prove it both on and off the field for the balance of this season.

The 4th round pick may be a bit high but potentially a good value exchange if he pans out and will any of us be surprised when BB trades down at some point on draft day and reacquires a mid round pick or two?

Plus as Neal pointed out they get a 7th which can be paired with their own 7th to maybe move up a round if they see someone they like.

It's a calculated gamble with big reward potential.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The only down side is that if he plays well he is probably going to price himself out of the Patriots willingness to pay him...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only down side is that if he plays well he is probably going to price himself out of the Patriots willingness to pay him...

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I suppose it's a matter of which way they want to roll the dice. 

Maybe if he seems to be fitting in they look at a short extension with most of the money in incentives? 

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to stegall85's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I suppose it's a matter of which way they want to roll the dice. 

Maybe if he seems to be fitting in they look at a short extension with most of the money in incentives? 

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

[/QUOTE]

good thinking. 

however if its just the rest of the year and we win a sb it will be a brilliant gamble.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has only one year left on his contract.  Giving up a 4th is steep for a one year rental I feel.  Do Pats extended him?  And for how much?

I will say this.... this year has been great with all the allocations to the D side of the ball.

Go Pats!

[/QUOTE]

geat thread getz

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

There is always the franchise tag...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Thanks bred... good stuff guys. 

As far as franchise, I think that price tag may be too steep.

Well I hope this means McCourty starts at FS from now on.  Like him there and Dennard and Talib would be a solid 1-2 punch...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We might be getting this guy at the right time, maybe he realizes he is living the last of his 9 lives, but let him prove himself first, if he loves football he'll love playing corner for BB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Wozzy you're a class act - don't always agree with you but that's to be expected. Just want to mention appreciate your football savvy and your ability not to let things get too personal.

And, agree on your point though in this case it's a no brainer. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wozzy you're a class act - don't always agree with you but that's to be expected. Just want to mention appreciate your football savvy and your ability not to let things get too personal.

[/QUOTE]

"appreciate your ability not to let things get too personal."

i wish this were the case.

i agree with wozzy often enough, but wozzy seems to have quite a (very) personal issue with yours truly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks bred... good stuff guys. 

As far as franchise, I think that price tag may be too steep.

Well I hope this means McCourty starts at FS from now on.  Like him there and Dennard and Talib would be a solid 1-2 punch...

[/QUOTE]

exactly as i have it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the franchise tag last year was over $10M for cornerbacks... Let's not get carried away. There is a big difference between being the best CB on the Pats and being one of the top CBs in the league... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the franchise tag last year was over $10M for cornerbacks... Let's not get carried away. There is a big difference between being the best CB on the Pats and being one of the top CBs in the league... 

[/QUOTE]

and having talib's risk factors.

any contract would have to written to give the pats an out on behavior.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I would hope the paTs would be smart enough to give themselves an out clause for bad behavior. 

As much as I like giving people a chance, Talib is a repeat offender and those spots don't change easily. 

Yes, we have some young guys on our defense, but there are guys like mayo, Wilfork, etc that know the patriot way. If they can influence him a bit, maybe he walks the straight and narrow.

Value speaking, he is not rated in the top 10 defensive backs in the league...any contract regardless if it it laden with out clauses shouldn't be too steep for the pats to handle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Give Talib's past there is zero chance I'd give him an extension. He's already going to miss week 10 because of a PED suspension for a guy admitting to failing 3 drug tests in college. Additionally he hasn't been the best role model off the field. This kid is one drug test or incident away from being suspended for half a season.

I see this as a win now move. I think BB feels this is a SB team right now but needs a strong presence in the secondary for that to happen. McCourty needs to be at S to solidify that position so you now have a glaring weakness at CB with a rook Dennard starting on one side. Arrington has shown to be basically useless (sorry Rusty but I called that one last off-season). He spent a pick (4th) that would take a couple of years to develop in order to get a #1/2 CB type today to make a run and nothing more.

Having said that, with this move I think BB is basically throwing in the towel for the secondary. Maybe this off-season he'll end up spending money because he doesn't have draft picks left to spend rebuilding the secondary.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i agree with wozzy often enough, but wozzy seems to have quite a (very) personal issue with yours truly.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like somebody has a persecution complex...  

I have a problem with knee jerk, reactionary thinking where our players sux one weekend and are heroes the next, this week our team is great, next week the sky will be falling again.  

That you think I sit around considering what YOU think is pretty funny.

I respond to posts, I don't consider the poster and don't take anything personally or too seriously. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I cannot imagine that BB would give up a 4th rounder without some plan to guarantee that Talib is here next year with a contract that gives the Pats all the leverage.  Maybe something gets worked out if he can come in a conform to the system and not manage to be the old Aqib Talbi.  After talking with a pal of mine in Tampa that has watched him for 4 years, his opinion is that the guy will never change and that the Bucs are ecstatic to have gotten a 4th rounder for him.  What does this mean?  That other teams recognize that he's a risk, the Pats needed him, and that Talib needs the Pats to prove he can play and not be a jerk.  I think the franchise tag would be a steep price, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of deal worked out. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

Not that BB or anyone in the Pats front office gives a shirt, but I like this trade (gamble).

However, a 3-4 team let Talib walk, he's serving out a supension and  hasn't played a single down for us yet.  Isn't it a bit too early to offer this guy an extension or slap the franchise tag on him, as others have suggested? 

Let's see if he can do the job and keep his nose clean first.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I wouldn't make a big deal over the whole 4th round thing considering we can't even hit on 2nd rounders.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't make a big deal over the whole 4th round thing considering we can't even hit on 2nd rounders.

[/QUOTE]

True that. I like the trade / risk.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well Nancy if you didn't spout your agenda every thread you might be tolerable. You say all this stuff that BB is thinking and he's arrogant. You dont even know the guy. You should root for the Jets.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well Nancy if you didn't spout your agenda every thread you might be tolerable. You say all this stuff that BB is thinking and he's arrogant. You dont even know the guy. You should root for the Jets.

[/QUOTE]

do you know what an "agenda" is?

dont like the observations. you dont have to.

wozzy.  i really dont care if you love or hate. whether you appreciate or not.

i dont write to get approval. i post my opinon, thoughts questions.

i just find it ironic that you post a lot of my same takes and make personal attacks anyway.

it takes a bit of insecurity to make personal attacks on others here (anyone doing so).

otherwise we are just chatting. there is no need for any hostilities whatsoever.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.  Definitely worth the "risk."