Fantasy Football, If You Had The #1 Pick???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradyslady12. Show bradyslady12's posts

Fantasy Football, If You Had The #1 Pick???

Last Year I Decided To Go With 2 Receiver's For The First 2 Pick's I Had, Not #1.
    Randy Moss And Braylon Edwards, Of Course We All Know That Young Tom Went
    Down The First Game, So Much For Randy, And Braylon Could'nt Hold On To The
    Slippery Pig!!!!!!!!! I Some How Made It To The Championship Game, But Lost!!!
    I Know They (Who Are They) Say To Pick Rb's First But, With All Team's Using 2
    Or 3 Rb's, It's Hard To Find A True One!!!! Just Wanted To Know Who All You
    Football Fan's Would Pick 1'st And Why????? GO PAT'S!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Fantasy Football, If You Had The #1 Pick???

If I get the first pick in my fantasy league this year I'm Taking Tom Brady!My second pick will be Moss and my third pick will be BB and my fourth pick will be the Patriots D,then I'll work in the RB's and the rest of the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I don't play Fantasy Football, but I've studied it somewhat and have some theories.
    First, I don't think you want to go first, because the difference between, say, pick 1 and pick 5 is not huge. If you pick first, you won't have another pick for a long time (bottom of round 2). If your league lets you trade and you have the #1 pick, I'd trade it.
    Second, depending on how your league is set up, you want to pick the position that traditionally scores the most points. I think in most leagues Running Backs score the most, but some leagues are set up that QB's or WR's score more. So whatever position that is should be your top focus.
    Third, look at what players scored last year and project how they may score this year. Then pick the player who you think will score the most, even if it's a position that you don't necessarily need. There are enough quality players to go around that you shouldn't pick based off of need until the bottom rounds.
    Fourth, you've got to predict the unpredictable. Call it luck, or taking a chance. But you've got to look for players that might get injured (past injuries) and avoid them and look for players that could come out of nowhere and pick them in the later rounds. What I've noticed is the sleeper picks can move someone to the top, while an unfortunate injury can move someone to the bottom quickly.
    I don't know if that helps or not. Good luck! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from munichpatsfan. Show munichpatsfan's posts

If you have the first pick select Adrian Peterson just because he´s the safest pick. Make sure you grab his backup in Minnesota in the later rounds. Trading him afterwards isn´t a bad idea either. I had my first draft already and i think it´s more important to find value in the later rounds for trades. Kevin Walter seems to be a good example, cause he may fly under the radar of most fantasy owners and should come of the boards in round ten or eleven. Solid No 3 WR and has some trade value too. Look out for Plaxico Burress. I claimed him off waivers and dropped my kicker for him. There are always owners who didn´t participate the draft day or loose connection to the servers who are willing to trade for these guys. Wink   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Sorry bl12, I couldn't resist.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from superfxb. Show superfxb's posts

Id agree with munichpatsfan and go with Peterson if I had #1.      Last year I won my league and I picked wide recievers with my first 2 picks.I picked fifth or sixth. I picked moss and marshall. Marshall was there because there was a run on RB's.  I made trades and hit the waiver wire hard for RB's because I was left with  white and johnson (Chiefs). I had Rogers at QB

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I Like Turner myself, but as was previously stated it depnds on the point set up in your league

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

If you have #1, you should go with Peterson almost regardless of the league format (and any injury concerns). He's the 'safest' pick, as another said. I don't think anyone else even comes close to warranting the #1... Jones-Drew, Jackson, Forte, Johnson... these aren't #1s and I'd be real upset if I had #2).

Recall in your case, if you are drafting #1, that impies you don't draft again until around slot 20-32, depending on league size... I think this makes your life a lot *easier* early on if you can believe that, because a lot of your decisions are going to be made for you and you get the clear cut #1 pick instead of having to convince yourself on Jones-Drew or Jackson, etc... I'd argue drafting first this year is the 'easy' spot for that reason. You get a clear-cut 'safe' pick and then you get two more 'safe' spots later on that are also almost out of your control... You are pretty much forced into taking RB#2 at  your next  double-pack of picks as well as WR#1... then you probably go QB and WR2 unless there is a real steal at TE or something similar. After that, it is 'best available' all the way... try to draft Rob Bironas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Tom Brady! lol Adrian Peterson would be the safe pick no doubt but I honestly think Brady will put up huge number this year. He is a lock to throw for 4000 yards

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtg5017. Show gtg5017's posts

If I'm playing in a points-per-reception league, I go with Maurice Jones Drew first pick, as he is now the feature back in Jville and their receiving corps is mediocre at best. You could also make an argument for Matt Forte if you're in that format, especially with Cutler there now.

As for normal leagues that just award yards and TDs, hard not to argue for Peterson or Turner. Matt Ryan's maturing extremely fast, so teams won't be able to stack the box as much.

Ideally, you want a mid round pick where you can pick up someone who slides, then turn around and draft a stud like Andre Johnson, Moss, or Brady with the 2nd pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Adrian Peterson is probably the best player, but I don't know if I would call him the safest. There is no doubt that he has injury concerns. The guy is a stud when he's healthy, but I think this year is falling in a transition between classes. The older veterans that we relied upon for years have fallen off a bit while the young guns haven't played enough to trust them. Only Peterson really falls in the middle.

Michael Turner is a great option as well, but I agree with trading. Of all years, if you can trade down do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDoItchBig. Show DrDoItchBig's posts

I picked Michael Turner with my first pick, the Falcons offense doesn't seem one dimensional like the Vikings does so skipped on AP, I expect Turner to put up some big numbers. Then had back to back picks in the 2nd and got Tom Brady and Randy Moss then. lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Vikings fan will tell you that, with Favre coming in and wildly unrealistic expectations for Percy Harvin abounding, Peterson is primed to have a monster season. Me? I still say you stack the box against Minnesota until they prove you can't . . .  and Peterson's a fumbler.

I don't play fantasy football and you would not want to hear the advice I would give people who do . . .  I just felt like blasting Adrian Peterson a little. Vikings fan annoys me.
    Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Fantasy Football, If You Had The #1 Pick???:
    [QUOTE]Tom Brady! lol Adrian Peterson would be the safe pick no doubt but I honestly think Brady will put up huge number this year. He is a lock to throw for 4000 yards
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE] I just had my draft.tom brady was my first pick.followed by randy moss,chad ocho,steve smith derrik ward,and willie parker as my running backs.chris cooley my te.ryan longwell,and the panthers defense.my reserves are big ben,fred taylor,joey gallowway,and chris chambers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Adrian Peterson and his backup in the later rounds like someone else previously said.  Honestly I hope I get the third or fourth pick. Deangelo Williams is honestly primed to do it again this year after one year of success.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

only people around here would take Tom Brady in the top 5... QB's just shouldnt go that early... Rivers was a sixth rounder last year in my league and he tied for the lead in TD's with Brees

my draft is in about a month and its a lock that the #2 pick will be Brady

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]only people around here would take Tom Brady in the top 5... QB's just shouldnt go that early... Rivers was a sixth rounder last year in my league and he tied for the lead in TD's with Brees my draft is in about a month and its a lock that the #2 pick will be Brady
    Posted by rebels1520[/QUOTE]so why are you here?it dosent matter who you draft first in my opinion.i won my league last year on how,and who i picked.running backs were the way to go in the first rd,but many teams are useing two backs now.so it only limits a few good backs to grab in the first rd.i tried to grab brady this past year,but someone beat me to him.he got injured so in that case it was a blow.but i went with three big name receivers first.the drafted big ben.followed by two good backs.the year before this last brady put up huge numbers in fantasy football so its not as silly as you think.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I don't know who to pick, but the first thing I'd do regardless is research the teams' offensive lines.  When Cleveland drafted Joe Thomas, Derek Andersen and Braylon Edwards went gangbusters.  After the league figured out how to beat Thomas, Andersen and Edwards disappeared.  Pennington's stats went up after Jake Long was picked.

I have a funny feeling that adding Jason Peters will really help Philly.  I also think that Chicago's offense is going to explode with the addition of Orlando Pace and a certain prima-donna quarterback.  I also see Minnesota being dangerous if a certain quarterback decides to play for them.  Everybody loves Carolina's offensive line and the work they did last year (I'd like them more if they had someone better than Delhomme at quarterback).

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS ABSURDLY ROUGH - OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD:

1.  Adrian Peterson (w/ or w/o Favre)
    2.  Michael Turner (Gonzalez could open up the field for them)
    3.  Brian Westbrook (has Jason Peters @ left tackle now)
    4.  Maurice Jones-Drew (be worried about his blocking, though)
    5.  Matt Forte (offense on the rise + Pace @ tackle)
    6.  Randy Moss (caught 12 TD's with Cassel... guess who's back?)
    7.  Steve Slaton (sophomore slump?)
    8.  Andre Johnson (I don't know how I feel about two Texans in my top 10...)
    9.  Larry Fitzgerald
    10.  Tom Brady (high risk, high reward - I think he could slip down a round or two)

I also really like Frank Gore this year.  Even if he's splitting carries, he's still the feature back, he'd stay healthier, and he'd still be the goal-line bruiser.  And they drafted Michael Crabtree, who should at least be able to stretch the field a little.

I'd see if you can steal Stephen Jackson on the way back around in a snake draft, but I wouldn't make him my top pick considering his injury history.  Sky's the limit for him, though.

I left off Joseph Addai because there was talk of him being in the coaches' doghouse.  He plays in a high-powered offense, though, so...  I think that Reggie Wayne would be the next receiver off the board after Moss, Johnson, and Fitzgerald.

I'm thinking that I might pick McNabb as my quarterback if I can still get him in the 4th-6th round.  He's fallen a little under the radar, but he's got the bookend at left tackle now and I think that'll help him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

[QUOTE]I picked Michael Turner with my first pick, the Falcons offense doesn't seem one dimensional like the Vikings does so skipped on AP, I expect Turner to put up some big numbers. Then had back to back picks in the 2nd and got Tom Brady and Randy Moss then. lol
    Posted by DrDoItchBig[/QUOTE]

One dimensional Vikings Offense?   I used to think that also, but if you are picking a RB for his numbers you WANT the team to use him a lot.   I am in a kepper league and fell into AP in a deal right before last season.  What is even better is that the guy "Forced" me to take Chester taylor in the deal.  LOL  Oh well I have them for one more year.
    This year they have Sage Rosenfelds (Or FAvre) as a QB in the backfield with them.  They also have Percy Harvin (SP?) as a multi-purpose guy... SO I am not so sure that this year they will be one-dimensional.  I am however thinking that will take away from my RB points....
    Just another take.

I also love Michael Turner... but this is the sophmore year for Ryan, and well teams are studying his tendencies all off-season.  SO he may see a few more weird packages when he plays games this year, and if he does that will hurt his success which in turn will take some of the glow off Turner...

I agree with the guy who stated that there are too many tag teams as far as the RB's go to know who to grab as a definite winner.  One thing is pretty sure- if you get a quality RB grab his backup also.  Better safe than sorry, and it really stinks to have both your #1's go down in week 13 or so of the season (just as playoffs begin), if you do not have their backups... TRUST ME IT STINKS!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Again, I think Peterson is the safest #1 pick esp. in a keeper league (he's only 24), but I certainly don't believe picking someone who will consistently deliver 15-20 like Brady is going to completely ruin your team, either.  As I noted, the biggest issue with the #1 pick is when you draft again in Rds 2/3... I think because of this, you have to take RB at #1... I simply don't believe by the time you draft again at slot 24/25 or later, there will be a lot of solid RBs floating around. Based on average drafts thusfar, these are 'your starting backs' still around at slot 24 (start playing 'the final countdown'):

Ronnie Brown, Ryan Grant, Pierre Thomas, Kevin Smith, Bush, McFadden, Larry Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Willie Parker, Joseph Addai, Mareno, Stewart (pray Williams runs into issues), Wells, etc... 

...Heck, almost all of thse guys were top 10 picks at one point. Regardless, by the time you draft again in 4/5 rounds, even these guys are gone. The way I look at it, you can always take a QB like McNabb/Big Ben in the 4th or 5th and it is a heck of a lot better starting them than starting the remnants of a runningback #2. You almost should draft Peterson, a WR like Steve Smith and your pick of the backs above.. that would be my guess as to what your team would start as... then maybe  figure out a QB (Big Ben / Carson Palmer / Cutler?) and WR#2 or TE in 4/5...