Re: Favorite Football Movie

Comedy - Waterboy

Emotional/Inspiring - Remember the Titans

All-around - Friday Night Lights

So many great ones out there, though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Though I should say I made the mistake for a while of thinking that the amazing instrumental song at the end of the movie was Explosions in the Sky when in fact it is Daniel Lanois...it's one of the finest song placements and best fit between song and mood of a movie you will ever ever see.

Here's a Youtube with it: http://youtu.be/oVVJC_TDweA

It's on the soundtrack. Damn even if you haven't seen the movie you can feel the power of that track. 

(the video is just nature scenes so no movie spoilers)

Great post, you are very correct about this. 

So many great moments in that movie.  One of my all time favorite movie scenes was the final game speech given by Coach Gary Gains...

"Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It's not about winning. It's about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didnt let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman - you're perfect!"

I was a bit disappointed to find out that speech was written for the movie.  I really wanted it to have been the actual speech given by Coach Gains. Still, just an awesome movie!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Ugh... now you all are going to make me go out an get Friday Night Lights. Haven't seen it in years but so good...

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I remember The Program with James Caan was a good movie about college football. been a while since I saw it, but there were some good parts and more realistic than most sports movies. Not corny and they used some real football players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I remember The Program with James Caan was a good movie about college football. been a while since I saw it, but there were some good parts and more realistic than most sports movies. Not corny and they used some real football players.

I have not seen that one in years, might have to check watch again this weekend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

Ugh... now you all are going to make me go out an get Friday Night Lights. Haven't seen it in years but so good...

You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

Yeah, do it.  You will be glad you watched it again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

I have not seen that one in years, might have to check watch again this weekend.

[/QUOTE]

I may do that myself, and a couple others I haven't seen that folks have brought up. Might also revisit Heaven Can Wait. See if it holds up.

Saw the original Longest Yard, didn't bother with the Adam Sandler version. Is it worth a couple hours investment?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

Not sure why, but reading this makes me want to go rent Dr. Strangelove...one of the great underappreciated flicks ever made.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

I can't say I've seen a lot, but the ones I enjoyed a lot were

Any Given Sunday and The Replacements.

The former's treatment was a bit over the top at the time, but probably becoming more relevant in the twitter age when the me thing is even more pronounced.

The Replacements - I just really like the girl there, for some reason.

Which brings me to Against All Odds. I don't remember anything about the plot, but I do remember I was crazy for Rachel Ward. The only other thing I remember there was the race between teh Porche and teh Ferrari, assuming I am not confusing it with another movie.

Interestingly, I remember the plot of Heaven Can Wait. I don't remember the football in that movie other than it was the LA Rams.

Blind side, to me, was not really a football movie.

Invincible... was that the Eagles guy? I liked the true life story, but not the movie itself.

Based on your inputs here, I am looking forward to seeing the movie version of Friday Night Lights.

Fun thread

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Saw the original Longest Yard, didn't bother with the Adam Sandler version. Is it worth a couple hours investment?

I like several people who are in the movie so I enjoyed it.  Certainly not as good as the original, imo.  But if you are looking for a couple hours to turn the mind off and enjoy a funny movie then do it.  But do not compare as you watch it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]

You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

Not sure why, but reading this makes me want to go rent Dr. Strangelove...one of the great underappreciated flicks ever made.

[/QUOTE]

Do it! Such a great movie.

Yeah, I'm going to find a copy of Friday Night Lights and watch it again. I feel like I will appreciate it more than I did before. I was still blown away when I did see it though. Good stuff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

[/QUOTE]

Do it! Such a great movie.

Yeah, I'm going to find a copy of Friday Night Lights and watch it again. I feel like I will appreciate it more than I did before. I was still blown away when I did see it though. Good stuff.

[/QUOTE]

I've watched Strangelove several times. That's one of those films where you see something you never picked up before every time you watch it. Just great, Kubrick was a genius. 

Haven't seen FNL, so I'll check that out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

For those who haven't seen Friday Night Lights and are going to check it out, I'll be curious what you think of it.  If this thread is still going please post your thoughts on it after you watch it.  Thanks.

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

@TFB thanks for that "being perfect" quote from Friday Night Lights. 

Sent chills up my spine just reading it. 

here it is on YouTube: 

http://youtu.be/o-iPiN_YHjY

if you have never seen the movie I strongly recommend NOT watching this clip but waiting to see it in context in the movie itself. 

Also, if you haven't seen the TV series or want to watch it again, you can get it streaming in different locations (the entire series), including netflix, maybe Amazon, not sure. 

Here's a football top 50 movies list: 

http://www.sportsinmovies.com/best-movies/football.asp

A couple things came to mind I hadn't remembered:

Everybody's All American - a very powerful and mature film about how you age/overcome the glory of lost youth. One of Dennis Quaid's finest performances and an exceptional performance by Jessica Lange as his wife as well.

Jerry MacGuire - I don't really think of this as a football movie and in a way not even a sports movie, it's more of a great romantic comedy/drama with some very potent ideas on how to live according to your own vision and (hopefully) find love along the way, but if it's a football movie IMO it's a darn good one...I'm gonna say it's more of a romcom...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Good stuff! Many movies mentioned here that I haven't seen including Friday Night Lights. I just glanced down at my meager movie collection and spotted a copy I didn't realize I had. lol It must have been a gift I forgot about.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

@TFB thanks for that "being perfect" quote from Friday Night Lights. 

Sent chills up my spine just reading it. 

here it is on YouTube: 

http://youtu.be/o-iPiN_YHjY

if you have never seen the movie I strongly recommend NOT watching this clip but waiting to see it in context in the movie itself. 

Also, if you haven't seen the TV series or want to watch it again, you can get it streaming in different locations (the entire series), including netflix, maybe Amazon, not sure. 

Here's a football top 50 movies list: 

http://www.sportsinmovies.com/best-movies/football.asp

A couple things came to mind I hadn't remembered:

Everybody's All American - a very powerful and mature film about how you age/overcome the glory of lost youth. One of Dennis Quaid's finest performances and an exceptional performance by Jessica Lange as his wife as well.

Jerry MacGuire - I don't really think of this as a football movie and in a way not even a sports movie, it's more of a great romantic comedy/drama with some very potent ideas on how to live according to your own vision and (hopefully) find love along the way, but if it's a football movie IMO it's a darn good one...I'm gonna say it's more of a romcom...

Thanks!  Now that you bring it up I probably should have posted a spoiler warning.  Sorry for those that read that and didn't see the movie yet.  However, You are correct, the scene in the movie takes that quote to a whole new level.  Thanks for posting the youtube link, I just watched.. Twice!! LOL!  Awesome stuff!

Right now the NFL network/NFL.com is doing a greatest football movie ever poll.  It's down to the elite 8 of...

Remember the Titans vs The Replacements

Brians Song vs The Program

- vs -

North Dallas Forty vs Flash Gordon

Friday Night Lights vs Varsity Blues

check it out here..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000215162/article/the-greatest-football-movie-ever-elite-8

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

the little giants

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Right now the NFL network/NFL.com is doing a greatest football movie ever poll.  It's down to the elite 8 of...

- vs -

check it out here..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000215162/article/the-greatest-football-movie-ever-elite-8

Wait, Flash Gordon?? I have to admit I didn't see it, but wasn't that science fiction, space aliens and that sort of thing? Did they play football against space men or something? That beat out the original Longest Yard? Wow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

- vs -

check it out here..

Wait, Flash Gordon?? I have to admit I didn't see it, but wasn't that science fiction, space aliens and that sort of thing? Did they play football against space men or something? That beat out the original Longest Yard? Wow.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Flash Gordon is a football movie if you can believe that.  Why?  I guess because Flash Gordon was a football player.  I don't remember much of the movie, I remember bits and pieces of it and I don't recall any football moments in it.  But heck, I guess the movie Die Hard is considered a Christmas movie because it took place during the Christmas season.  Funny how some of these movies are classified.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

So the NFL Network/NFL.com has it down to the final 4 greatest football movie of all time. Varsity Blues beat out Friday night lights, the Program beat out Brian's Song, North Dallas Forty beat out Flash Gordon and Remember the Titans beat out The Replacements.

Here is where it stands now...

North Dallas Forty vs Remember the Titans

-vs-

Varsity Blues vs The Program

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Several good calls here w Heaven can wait (which was a remake btw) and ND40, Friday Night Lights---I'll throw in All the Right Moves with Tom Cruise before he was a household name, realistic look at High School football in a rural PA town.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

Best of Times, with Robin Williams and Kurt Russell.  If you haven't seen it, check it out...very funny.

Took the words right off my keyboard.  That movie combined small-town life and high-school sports (in this case football) better than any movie I've seen - and it was funny as heck.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

agreed. that was one of my all time favorites. remember when they were looking at film and the coach said to his linebacker, "what's your job?"........the kid replied, "kill the quarterback"....kill everybody...I was rolling...and lattemer the DE. total fruitcake...shootin juice. pressing like 325 over his head and just totally nuts and the two coaches look at each other and say should we tell coach about this??? so funny I almost peed my pants.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

M*A*S*H and North Dallas Forty

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The Longest Yard