Favortism aside... Are Jets too good?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Favortism aside... Are Jets too good?

This team is stacked, and Sanchez only needs to play moderately with all the talent around him.  Without pointing to the RB's there really is no other weak link. 

What can we expect?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Re: Favortism aside... Are Jets too good?

You can expect a team that will implode.

If anything goes wrong in the locker room, no one will be able to handle the situation. Rex will worsen any locker room drama, and so will the players they brought in.

You can expect this team to finish 3rd in the AFC East, behind

1) New England
    2) Miami

All favortism aside.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

We get a lot of completely outlandish statement topics.  My favorite today was "should we trade Edelman and Welker?" 

My numbers say that the Jets are going to be good, but they aren't on the Patriots' level.  Nobody is. 

The Jets are trying to sell seat licenses so they're kind of stacked with has-beens (LaDanian Tomlinson) and total locker room disruptions (don't ask!).   Also, I make fun of the Jets' first round pick, Kyle Shrimpy-Arms Wilson.  He'll be maybe ok as a nickel but he has glaring unfixable weaknesses as a cornerback.  My previous early criticisms of DeWayne Shrimpy-Arms Robertson and Stone-Hips Gholston were dead on the money.

Still, I'd give them the first wild card.  Best guess, the Jets will do quite well in the beginning of the season and then tend to tail off somewhat in November.  At least their fans will be really into it for a while.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Favortism aside... Are Jets too good?:
    [QUOTE]This team is stacked, and Sanchez only needs to play moderately with all the talent around him.  Without pointing to the RB's there really is no other weak link.  What can we expect?????
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

That's Kind of Speculative right now. They've proven nothing except that they needed the last 2 teams on their schedule to lay down so that they could make the playoffs last year. Their defense is very good, that's all I'll give them right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Wayyyy too many players with bad histories...obviously they could be great, but Rex is going to have to control that team for them to be good...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

They are totally stacked.........with press love.  analysts who don't analyse seem to love them, gave them the division, and the superbowl a few months ago, when they signed a poor corner and traded a 1400 yard halfback for a 900 yard one, and shipped away an incredible, but broken cog for a good, unproven one.  They have a number one wr who is famous for dropping balls and being a head case, a number 2 who is suspended for the first 4 games because he is a head case.  The one solid piece on their team wont come play because he's mad they don't all worship him and throw money at his feet.   Sorry, I'm not seeing it.  If i didn't think Miami was so .. eh... I would say Jets are 3rd in the division.  Stacked?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Look, I hope you're all right with the optimism, but you still have to respect the team that's on paper.  How you guys feeling about Cromartie, and please, I know he had a bad year but this guy is a 8-int guy that may start next to Revis.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I'm playing devils advacate here too please keep in mind.  I have this battle going with a co-worker who is absolutely sold on the Jets right now. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What Green New Jersey has is name-recognition and hype.

It may, indeed, turn out to be a good team, but this idea that the Jests are "stacked at every position" is utter nonsense. One thing we should find out relatively quickly is if they have any backbone. The schedule doesn't give them much margin for error in the first month, outside of Buffalo (against whom they tend to struggle, for reasons unknown).

My best guess is that Green New Jersey is somewhere between the irresistible force Rex Ryan and most of the media have been trying to sell and the slobbering dog many of the posters here paint them as.

What I see is the same thing I saw last year.

A .500 team that will need another rose petal-strewn path if it hopes to make the playoffs.

Sadly, the Jests won't have the Colts waiting to lay down for them this December, but I see Cinncinnatti is there again . . .  so anything is possible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

In Response to Re: Favortism aside... Are Jets too good?:
    [QUOTE]Look, I hope you're all right with the optimism, but you still have to respect the team that's on paper.  How you guys feeling about Cromartie, and please, I know he had a bad year but this guy is a 8-int guy that may start next to Revis.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

I dont respect a team on paper.  But if I did, the Jets have, on paper

1. Major contract impasse with their best player.
    2.  Downgraded at least one of their running backs, maybe downgraded two.
    3.  Swapped out a good corner for a castoff
    4. Left a proven poor Dline player in place
    5. Provided themselves with alot of distraction by appearing on television
    6. Created an atmosphere of high fan expectation in a city with no patience, and a history of experiencing Jet failure.

All this, from a team that started 3-0 and ended up 9-7, with a gift wrapped game or two.  How is this good on paper?  We now have a year of tape to look at the schemes, and adjust to them, we know the pieces and how they fit, and how Sanchez finished the season and will perform now.  Holmes we know from our many Pittsburgh experiences.  I just don't see how this makes a paper champion.  Cromartie is out of San Diego for a reason, and although they sure have wiffed on the correct time to dump guys before, I am not sure they have this time.  This collection of problem children and chest thumping circus cast offs just doesn't impress me that much.  They play hard and will compete.  Too good?  Not even close

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Actually, they remind me  of the Ravens.  Lots of dances, posturing, television sound bites, chest thumping and sky pointing, not a bunch of ... results.  Funny Rex was involved in both.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

A very good team on paper, but I kinda think Dan Snyder (Redskins Owner) can tell us all a thing or two about looking good on paper.  When he was a new owner, that's exactly what he tried with no success.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

I'm thinking Dan got the right coach this time.  For my money, Shannahan is the only coach that plays chess at the Belichick level.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Their best pick up is Holmes who will miss the first 4 games.  Bal, Mia, NE, and Buffalo.  A streak that is essential to win with 3 division games.  These first games could decide whether they make the playoffs or not.

Their best player is not playing over a contract dispute with no end in sight.

LT and Taylor were great but I don't know if they still are.  The numbers say their best days are gone.

Cromartie came in and looked great in 07 grabbing 10 INT's in 8 starts.  Since then he has had 2 int's in 08 and 3 in 09 (starting all 16 games). Butler had 3 last year in 5 starts. His tackling has always been poor.  During his great season the Chargers had the Roid filled Merriman wreaking havoc with 12.5 sacks.  The Jets were 18th in sacks last year with a total of 32.  He will have a tough time, coverage skills are not great, the Jets need to create pressure on the QB. He can be a big play threat but so can a lot of guys at this level. 

Jenkins and Scott are excellent players, Shonne Green is an unknown but looks good.  Rumor is their O-line has issues which can't help the already struggling Sanchez.  Braylon Edwards has hands of stone.

They have a fairly easy schedule facing CLE, DET some other bottom feeders.  Tough call.

Overall I think they are 3rd in div behind MIA and NE, maybe 2nd.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Essentially the same team that New England should've swept last year. We beat them without a third WR while still implying the stretch offense, when we weren't running the ball all too well AND after a crushing loss to Indy that we should've won. 

The beat us in Brady's second game, with no Wes Welker and Joey Galloway dropping every pass thrown his way. Even with all that, they still only beat us by 5 points. 1 TD and the Pats win that game. 

Now, this year they destroyed everything that made them a good offense last year to rely on everything that made them a bad one. The got rid of TJ and signed LT who's numbers were only so good because he was playing in a highly vaunted passing team last year and want to ride on 12TDs/20INTs Sanchez's arm into the playoffs. They blew up 2/5 of their league best OL, got rid of, arguably, their best safety, signed a washed up Jason Taylor and their best defensive player is in a holdout that both himself, and the owner, believe will cause him to miss the 2010 football season. 

Watch out New England, the Superbowl champs are in your division. Yes, the New England Patriots, aka the Superbowl champs, are in the AFC East division. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

Tcal- Is that Boat trolling or just fishing?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

[QUOTE]Look, I hope you're all right with the optimism, but you still have to respect the team that's on paper.  How you guys feeling about Cromartie, and please, I know he had a bad year but this guy is a 8-int guy that may start next to Revis.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

And get burned for 10 more TDs.  Cromartie is a feast or famine guy.  Revis is a long way from being signed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

No QB. nuff said

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

After careful thought and objective analysis I have decide that..... the Jets suuck

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favortism aside... Are Jets too good? : Tcal- Is that Boat trolling or just fishing?
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

That's a troller trolling.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Guys, stupid thread.....don't feed the trolls.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Too good as in "too good for anyone else to even consider winning the division", no they aren't that good. I really question some of their offseason moves. First they took a great strength at running back and made it into a question mark entering this season. I like the Santonio Holmes move but he's missing 4 games, and Braylon Edwards is a average at best receiver. Adding Jason Taylor and L. Tomlinson, meh, guess if you just want veteran leadership without the past production. I also question the move at safety shipping out Rhodes and bringing in Pool. Revis situation will hurt if it lingers into the season. Cromartie is no where near Revis's caliber and Wilson while he might be good someday will probably be picked apart by the great QB's. Finally their starting schedule  BALT, NE, @Miami, @Buff, Bye, Minn, @Denver, GB they could easily start out 2-5. I have them as a 8-8 team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favortism aside... Are Jets too good? : Bad year?  Cromartie has only had one good year his entire career (2007).   He's a freakish athlete, but once QBs figured out how to bait him, he was toasted on a weekly basis.  He also might the worst tackling CB in football.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

Can be argued that this defensive style will get the best out of him for what suits his abilities, no?