Film don't lie, fellas. "Patriots Hurt by Tom Brady's Accuracy Woes"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Re: Film don't lie, fellas.

I fail to see why criticism of Brady's performance is like heresy.  Others who have not performed well have been criticized so why not Brady?  Granted he worked miracles in the past and that his supporting cast is raw but that does not mean Brady cannot be criticized for missing his targets.  He himself admits to this.

Anyway, he will improve, his receivers will get better, Amendola, Vereen, Talib and Kelly will return and Patriots will play their brand of November/December ball.  Like it or not, this team will only go as far as Brady will take them.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

some additional facts to perpetuate the debate;

Tom Brady has been below average statistically this season, despite the New England Patriots sitting atop the division with a 5-2 mark.

The Patriots fell to 5-2 after their loss against the New York Jets on Sunday. Brady posted a 29.5 Total QBR at MetLife Stadium, his third game with a QBR below 30 this season. Brady had only six such games in his previous 97 starts from 2006 to 2012.

He ranks 19th in the NFL in Total QBR this season with a 48.5 mark, below average on the QBR scale of 0 to 100. His five interceptions in seven games are only three shy of the number he threw in 16 regular-season games last season. His 6.0 yards per pass attempt would mark a career-low.

But the numbers indicate that Brady should not be the sole source of blame for the slow start.

Tom Brady Passing By Target
    This Season  

Rookies  Non-Rookies

Comp pct          42%- 66%

Yds per att        5.7- 6.4

1st down pct     28%- 34%

Drop pct           9% 4%

Patriots rookie receivers Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson have dropped nine percent of the passes thrown their way (NFL average is 4.3 percent). Three of Brady’s five interceptions this season were thrown when he was targeting rookies.

Let’s break down the performance of his rookie targets:

• Kenbrell Thompkins has caught 42 percent of the passes on which he was targeted, the second-worst rate among any qualified player in the last four seasons, regardless of experience.

• Aaron Dobson has a team-high five drops, tied for the third-most in the NFL among all pass catchers. Dobson has dropped 11 percent of his targets, the second-worst rate among all players with at least 40 targets.

Josh Boyce has played 50 snaps for the Patriots this season. He has one catch on six targets.

Zach Sudfeld had three targets (two of which were intercepted) in three games with the Patriots. One of those interceptions resulted from a Sudfeld drop. He was cut on October 3 and in a twist of fate, played for the Jets in their win over the Patriots on Sunday.

• Veteran Julian Edelman has been Brady’s only consistent target this season, leading the team in receptions (46), yards (455) and receiving first downs (21). He’s dropped only three percent of his targets.

• Tight end Rob Gronkowski made an impact in his first game back, recording a game-high 114 yards through the air. Danny Amendola continues to nurse injuries, but has been effective when on the field. Help could be on the way to get Brady's numbers back to the level he's performed in the past.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ok, so Brady admits he has to play better, too!  What is your point?

It would be one thing if Brady is deflecting all blame on others and is oblivious to his poor play.  So far, he is not.  Seems a lot of folks are "enjoying" pounding on Brady right now.  Given the circumstances of the offense around him, this is unfair to a degree.

Granted, this question may never get answered, but, how would other top flight QBs fare if their offense around them was falling apart with injuries, lack of talent etc..?  It has been acknowledged across the board the challenges Brady is facing and how it is amazing the Pats are 5 - 2.  Let's just accept it and know the team is trying hard to improve as it hurtles towards another SB appearance and title!

GO PATS!!!!

Buddy, I fully understand that I don't get to enjoy football into late January, early February with #12. The point of these is to get people to stop attacking BB. I'm not enjoying the state ofour offense, our D keeps getting bangged up because of it, but let's be honest that Brady has been off this year. 

[/QUOTE]

It is a combination of many things and a lot of players on this team are NOT playing to their potential, even Brady.  There is too much focus on TB now from some corners of Pats nation at this time.

Look at how everyone reacted when he led the drive to defeat the Saints!  All hugs and kisses then after the Jets game all is forgotten and he is a bumb in some eyes.

Go figure.. this is a VERY spoiled fan base... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

Go figure.. this is a VERY spoiled fan base... 

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As far as brady goes it is a combination of things. Yes, the rookies are still learning and he has missed gronk and Amendola no doubt.

It kills me to say this and but for anyone to say that he hasn't been sub par regardless of the other issues hasn't been watching what has been going on. Just in last weeks game the overthrow to Gronk and terrible throw out of bounds to Dobson were on him. those were 2 glaring ones there were at 3 or 4 more throws where he had time and just wasn't as accurate as we are used to him being.

I have no doubts he will turn it around Gronk and DA will give 2 more receivers to make him comfortable and by mid november this offense will start clicking.

[/QUOTE]

He's F'ING human. 

What the hell is wrong with any of you?  You expect 100% perfection!  Every QB has made bad passes.  It happens.  In the past, his receivers were able to catch the balls thrown.  This year, he has nothing but unwanted trash at WR.

It's amazing to me.  Oh, let's break down one bad throw.  This shows that Brady sucks. 

Go watch a bad QB, or an average QB, or a good QB or a very good QB.   You'll be amazed at how awesome Brady is.

I hope every one of your pitchfork boys are here the year after Brady retires.

[/QUOTE]

Go watch Freeman of the Vikings!!  Will some here take him over Brady?  I think not, but, some certainly sound like they want a new QB, huh?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

49 Patriots is a jagaloon. He compares Josh Boyce to Victor Cruz and then rags on Brady all day. Makes perfect sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

It is easy to understand why people react this way.

Simply put, the Brady apologists will be quick to bring up all the mitigating factors that might possibly play into it, if Brady has an off day or even season.

There is no problem with that.

However, they are the very SAME people who want to try and tell you Brady is the whole team, that he makes all his receivers good, and non of his past ones were that great, etc. when the team is doing well.

They are also the very SAME ones who when another player has an off game or season, that player just stinks and there are no mitigating factors. It is simply a horrible BB draft pick and there was nothing possibly contributing to the overall play.

So of course you are going to raise the ire of those on the boards when those folks want to talk out both sides of their face and be completely unobjective.

Brady is playing poorly, at least by his own standards that we have all come to expect form him.

Are there some mitigating factors contributing to that? Of course.

The weapons thing is ridiculously overblown in my opinion however.

Not only have less capable AND less experienced QB's played better than he is currently playing with similar situations or worse situations, Brady himself has played better under similar situations previously.

In it's simplest form. As Brady goes, so goes the offense. The offense stinks right now, for a Patriots offense. What does that say of Bradys current play as well?

He stated the obvious to everyone watching the Pats play so far this season. "I need to play better." I am more than confident he will. For the moment, it is what it is. Big deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mpb2008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

God can we please get off Brady's back.  One day all of you people who complain about him will cut your left nut off to have him back.  It unbelievable to me that you guys pick and poke at him.

So he has not been perfect this year.....so what....show me any QB in the league who would have performed better then Brady if you take their top 5 receviers away. 

We are still 5-2, does that not count for anything.

[/QUOTE]

I criticize everyone on the team, me getting on Brady is because he's set a high standard for QBs around the league to emulate. I want him to be Surgeon Brady again, he just doesn't seem like the guy who made me love football this year.

[/QUOTE]

I am with you. I want the surgeon back. Part of the issue, as many others have said is who he is throwing to. Yes they are young, but look at their drop stats when the ball is delivered correctly. Not good. 

Really I think the biggest issue with the precision offense is lack of rhythm. There ave been a few drives this season (last drive of saints game, etc), where the offense was moving the ball well becaus they found a rhythm. The bandleader is Brady. He has to get the offense into the right rhythm. Once it does, it is productive. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

[QUOTE]

Ok, so Brady admits he has to play better, too!  What is your point?

It would be one thing if Brady is deflecting all blame on others and is oblivious to his poor play.  So far, he is not.  Seems a lot of folks are "enjoying" pounding on Brady right now.  Given the circumstances of the offense around him, this is unfair to a degree.

Granted, this question may never get answered, but, how would other top flight QBs fare if their offense around them was falling apart with injuries, lack of talent etc..?  It has been acknowledged across the board the challenges Brady is facing and how it is amazing the Pats are 5 - 2.  Let's just accept it and know the team is trying hard to improve as it hurtles towards another SB appearance and title!

GO PATS!!!!

[/QUOTE]
    Miami may prove to be a tough test for the Pats.  The Pats are not fielding the same D as they were at the beginning of the season. The Fish have a good D and can apply QB pressure. The Pats management has FAILED in beefing up the OL. Even if the PAts manage a win over the fins, this game could be telling.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

I remember reading in the preseason when they were practicing with Tampa Bay that he went 26 for 26 in 7 on 7 drills with those rookies. I think they should just ask the other teams not to rush him, so he has time to complete his throws...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

In my humble opinion, the less than acceptable statistics of Tom Brady thus far this year are all in one way or another attributed to the organization's decision to "cheap-out" with "has-beens" and "no-names" PERIOD!  What a coincidence - last year Brady is flying like an eagle and this year the eagle has a busted wing.  What changed?  Tom Brady did not change... Do think it just might have been the entire receiving corp including both tight ends (G & H).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Rhythm is a two way street and it takes two to dance, this offense hasn't fired on all cylinders since day one but has had moments, heaven help the rest of the league when they do consistantly and they will.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Brady is doing far better with this offense than any other QB could possibly do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Jets were 11/21 on third down.  Enough said.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

DO NOT BLAME THE DEFENSE! 

It's clearly all Brady's fault.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Brady has not been as accurate as in the past.  Three WRs in the top 10 in the NFL in drops?  That is historically bad.  No team has ever had that before.  Most all QBs are less accurate when under pressure.  Brady got sacked 4 times, fumble a couple of times and was under heavy pressure from a very strong DL.  A DL that rushed only 3 or 4 the majority of the game. In the past, Rex has needed more to get a solid pass rush.  That's not the case currently.  There were a handful of plays where Brady had about 45 seconds in pocket, but that was not the norm. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What is said? What is that supposed to point out exactly?

That the jets offense and a rookie QB was able to execute at a 50% rate on 3rd down and that Tom Brady, a 14 year verteran, 2 time superbowl MVP, 5 time superbowl participant, and one of the best to ever play the position was only able to have a 8% success rate?

Remind me again which defense in that game had it's 3 best defensive players and original 2 defensive captains not active for the game.

Since you wanted to share some stats I will share one with you.

Patriots offense 3rd down conversion % "currently" the lowest for a Patriots team since 1992/93.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That the jets offense and a rookie QB was able to execute at a 50% rate on 3rd down and that Tom Brady, a 14 year verteran, 2 time superbowl MVP, 5 time superbowl participant, and one of the best to ever play the position was only able to have a 8% success rate?

Remind me again which defense in that game had it's 3 best defensive players and original 2 defensive captains not active for the game.

Patriots offense 3rd down conversion % "currently" the lowest for a Patriots team since 1992/93.

[/QUOTE]

Injuries?  Are you crying about injuries?  The deepest team in the NFL with the best cap management has fans crying about injuries?  Weird.  Before those three best D players went down, that sad D was giving up more than 4 yards per run. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That last line is indicative of clutch receiving.  Welker was a first down machine, just like Kerley was on Sunday.  how could Brady possible have confidence in throwing to those guys after what we've seen.  Unlike Arrington who was badly overmatched against Kerley, kyle Wilson took the Pats slot out of the game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Yup and with 23, 1st downs, that means  12 of them were on the first 2 downs. Hey here's a question. Which.D ranks last in run D and 20th in pass  if you guessed JAX, you'd be wrong 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BY JAMES CHRISTENSEN (FEATURED COLUMNIST) on Bleacher Report...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1820587-patriots-hurt-by-tom-bradys-accuracy-woes

Tom Brady has been victimized by poor receiver play this season—including 25 drops after Week 7—but his performance has been far from beyond reproach. Brady himself agreed during his postgame press conference, courtesy of the team's official website: "The balls have to be better thrown. Everyone has to look at themselves and do a better job, because what we’re doing right now isn’t good enough.”

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Brady connected on just four of his 20 passes that traveled 10 or more yards in the air and had 24 total incompletions. One play in particular highlighted how Brady has played this year. It illustrates his ability to manipulate defenses, recognize coverages and find open receivers. However, it also shows his inability to connect with those same receivers down the field.

The New York Jets are showing a Cover 2 look with man coverage underneath. The safeties are splitting the field in half. Aaron Dobson is lined up at the "X" receiver position with rookie Dee Milliner across from him. After the snap, the Cover 2 man under look is confirmed. Brady looks to be reading the right half of the field, with Rob Gronkowski inside and Dobson outside. Dobson needs to get by Milliner without getting too close to the sideline, where Milliner will use it as a second defender. The Jets safety here is reading the patterns of Gronkowski and Dobson, while keeping an eye on where Brady is looking.

Brady has all the time in the world with a clean pocket in front of him. Dobson is already passing Milliner on the outside, while Gronkowski is about to cross the face of his defender. The safety is in a very difficult position here. That subtle look from Brady causes the safety to flip his hips and commit to the seam route. Meanwhile, Dobson is a step clear of Milliner and pulling away. He has given Brady enough space to work with on the sideline, and this should be an easy throw.

The ball is now in the air, and the safety is toast. Milliner is over a yard back and has no chance to break up the play. Any ball in the field of play in front of Dobson is going to go for big yardage, if not a touchdown

Unfortunately for Brady and the Patriots, his pass lands a full four yards out of bounds, giving Dobson—capable of making some crazy circus catches—no chance at making the catch. Any pass near the black triangle is a huge play for the Patriots, assuring them of a field-goal try and giving them over a minute to score a touchdown.

[/QUOTE]

LOL, I remember when a hall of famer named Aikmen was near the end. He had a hall of fame WR, a hall of fame RB and a hall of fame Offensive line to keep him upright and looking good. What does brady have exactly? A line that allows free rushers every other play? A 2nd round pick who drops EVERY other pass? a RB who fumbles every other run? Really, and Brady is to blame huh?  Here is a clue. YOu dont play well when you get hit alot. Why do you think teams pay so much for pass rushers?? They are effective. The Idea has always been to hit Brady as much as possible, but  now the O line has been obliging the D....and we still blame # 12..   Wow....I just cant wait to see what BB does after Brady. I hope Brady requests a trade. I really do. See where we at then

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It would probably be different if all of the receivers weren't horrible.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to 49Patriots's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BY JAMES CHRISTENSEN (FEATURED COLUMNIST) on Bleacher Report...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1820587-patriots-hurt-by-tom-bradys-accuracy-woes

Tom Brady has been victimized by poor receiver play this season—including 25 drops after Week 7—but his performance has been far from beyond reproach. Brady himself agreed during his postgame press conference, courtesy of the team's official website: "The balls have to be better thrown. Everyone has to look at themselves and do a better job, because what we’re doing right now isn’t good enough.”

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Brady connected on just four of his 20 passes that traveled 10 or more yards in the air and had 24 total incompletions. One play in particular highlighted how Brady has played this year. It illustrates his ability to manipulate defenses, recognize coverages and find open receivers. However, it also shows his inability to connect with those same receivers down the field.

The New York Jets are showing a Cover 2 look with man coverage underneath. The safeties are splitting the field in half. Aaron Dobson is lined up at the "X" receiver position with rookie Dee Milliner across from him. After the snap, the Cover 2 man under look is confirmed. Brady looks to be reading the right half of the field, with Rob Gronkowski inside and Dobson outside. Dobson needs to get by Milliner without getting too close to the sideline, where Milliner will use it as a second defender. The Jets safety here is reading the patterns of Gronkowski and Dobson, while keeping an eye on where Brady is looking.

Brady has all the time in the world with a clean pocket in front of him. Dobson is already passing Milliner on the outside, while Gronkowski is about to cross the face of his defender. The safety is in a very difficult position here. That subtle look from Brady causes the safety to flip his hips and commit to the seam route. Meanwhile, Dobson is a step clear of Milliner and pulling away. He has given Brady enough space to work with on the sideline, and this should be an easy throw.

The ball is now in the air, and the safety is toast. Milliner is over a yard back and has no chance to break up the play. Any ball in the field of play in front of Dobson is going to go for big yardage, if not a touchdown

Unfortunately for Brady and the Patriots, his pass lands a full four yards out of bounds, giving Dobson—capable of making some crazy circus catches—no chance at making the catch. Any pass near the black triangle is a huge play for the Patriots, assuring them of a field-goal try and giving them over a minute to score a touchdown.

LOL, I remember when a hall of famer named Aikmen was near the end. He had a hall of fame WR, a hall of fame RB and a hall of fame Offensive line to keep him upright and looking good. What does brady have exactly? A line that allows free rushers every other play? A 2nd round pick who drops EVERY other pass? a RB who fumbles every other run? Really, and Brady is to blame huh?  Here is a clue. YOu dont play well when you get hit alot. Why do you think teams pay so much for pass rushers?? They are effective. The Idea has always been to hit Brady as much as possible, but  now the O line has been obliging the D....and we still blame # 12..   Wow....I just cant wait to see what BB does after Brady. I hope Brady requests a trade. I really do. See where we at then

[/QUOTE]

Cool off there, bronco. Lots of irrational, hyperbolic, reactionary drivel in here, much like the rest of the thread. 

Brady has struggled this season due to a number of factors, IMO. He has a new cast of weapons and they've played a lot of VERY good defenses through this first half of the season. 

That said, Brady has been struggling. I'm sure some part of his struggles are his own fault; misreads, poor throws, poor decisions. But, with that said, I'm sure a lot of the struggles fall on the shoulders' of those around him.

It's not the beginning of the end, it doesn't mean Belichick is useless, or that the personnel around Brady lacks talent. It means that, as of right now, the offense isn't executing very well. The talent is there, the coaching is there, and Brady is Brady. Let's give him and this offense a bit of time to gel and hopefully find their rhythym. 

As we've learned all too often in recent postseasons, how you play for the first 6-8 weeks is largely irrelevant, outside of how it affects your ability to get into the playoffs. Once you're in the Big-Dance, it's a 1-game ordeal. Better to start slow and finish strong, then have regular season success and fizzle late. Us Pats fans should know all about that, and after having seen the Giants win in the fashion they did, and the Ravens last season, we ought to appreciate the fact that we have a plenty good chance to win a Super Bowl.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It would probably be different if all of the receivers weren't horrible.

[/QUOTE]

I am not saying it wouldn't. I think every player at every position is better with a better supporting cast around them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpb2008. Show mpb2008's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mpb2008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

God can we please get off Brady's back.  One day all of you people who complain about him will cut your left nut off to have him back.  It unbelievable to me that you guys pick and poke at him.

So he has not been perfect this year.....so what....show me any QB in the league who would have performed better then Brady if you take their top 5 receviers away. 

We are still 5-2, does that not count for anything.

[/QUOTE]

For over 3 years here, this board has been on BBs back, very unfairly so. Now, it's time to get to the real source as to why we lost SB 42 and SB 46, amongst other big games we should have won.

QB is the most important player on the field, if not all of sports.  Brady has gotten a pass in this town for years. Maybe a little public rumbling will make Brady start to pay attention a bit more.

[/QUOTE]

I just think Boston sports fans are so spoiled that they lose rational thought.  As a born and bread Bostonian who now lives in Atlanta and travels for work on top of that....I get to listen to these other towns who would die for the recent success of Boston sports teams