First draft pick signed

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: First draft pick signed

The rookie wage scale really helps.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Logan Ryan signs next. The Patriots might want to take a look at Colin Klein he didn't get a contract from Houston a perfect stash project for the PS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

not a real shock they were the first to sign. Honestly, Harmon in the third, he was probably camping outside Gillette wrapped in bubble wrap waiting to sign.

But to put Armstead in context he got a 3 year $1.48 mil contract, our last 7th rounder got 4 years $2.2mil. So everyone who said Armstead is a lock because he's getting paid like a high round pick well it isn't the case in the least. He's actually getting paid less then our last 7th round pick. Now, I'm excited to see what Armstead can do and hope he develops into a great interior player but I hope this tempers some expectations on a kid we haven't seen yet. No need to have too high expectations and then be disappointed. Instead look at him as a 7th round type of pick up with day 2 type of talent and get excited if he can contribute and go crazy if he eventually becomes a starter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

not a real shock they were the first to sign. Honestly, Harmon in the third, he was probably camping outside Gillette wrapped in bubble wrap waiting to sign.

But to put Armstead in context he got a 3 year $1.48 mil contract, our last 7th rounder got 4 years $2.2mil. So everyone who said Armstead is a lock because he's getting paid like a high round pick well it isn't the case in the least. He's actually getting paid less then our last 7th round pick. Now, I'm excited to see what Armstead can do and hope he develops into a great interior player but I hope this tempers some expectations on a kid we haven't seen yet. No need to have too high expectations and then be disappointed. Instead look at him as a 7th round type of pick up with day 2 type of talent and get excited if he can contribute and go crazy if he eventually becomes a starter.

"not a real shock they were the first to sign. Honestly, Harmon in the third, he was probably camping outside Gillette wrapped in bubble wrap waiting to sign."

i love this!!!! :)

"day 2 type of talent and get excited if he can contribute and go crazy if he eventually becomes a starter."

go crazy if he becomes a menace to offenses  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

While the Duron Harmon signing may well  appear to be a case of "desperation" on Huron's part .....one also wonders if , perhaps, BB wanted to make a statement with the first draft pick signed....namely that  the most controversal selection was a very IMPORTANT selection for the Pats and not a REACH as many have presumed. BB has been accused of many things but I kind of wonder if this first signing wasn't politically motivated...to quiet the masses????

The signing of Armstead for what now appears to be PEANUTS  relative to his being starter potential gets interesting when one considers the early release of Deaderick. Could mean that Armstead has already impressed....Maybe he's more likely a 3 down player than a change of pace 3rd down penetrater as originally presumed???

It seemed that Love was the DL most likely to be released based on many predraft speculations.

BB didn't surprise us with trading down from the 29th pick but the haul he received was fantastic. Equally so was his apparent reach for hybrid players with exceptional athleticism and a history of  collegiate performance. I was surprised by the large salaries of FA wrs despite concerns over injury-prone players or wrs who had not really shown superior pro production. It seemed that he was projecting "breakout" futures for promising players....as though searching for a gem-in-the-rough???

While BB continues to shock and amaze us with many of his draft, UDFA, and FA signings it appears that he has shifted his philosophy in how to build a championship team. It's not just the successful BIG SCHOOL athletes that has garnered his interst but also the smaller schools with success records or individual talents with high potential but without a supporting cast/coach. For me, it's a new direction for the Pats who have yet to find Brady's replacement.

What seems most impressive is BB selection of duplicate/ even triplicate positional players to determine where the cream rises to the top.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

While the Duron Harmon signing may well  appear to be a case of "desperation" on Huron's part .....one also wonders if , perhaps, BB wanted to make a statement with the first draft pick signed....namely that  the most controversal selection was a very IMPORTANT selection for the Pats and not a REACH as many have presumed. BB has been accused of many things but I kind of wonder if this first signing wasn't politically motivated...to quiet the masses????

The signing of Armstead for what now appears to be PEANUTS  relative to his being starter potential gets interesting when one considers the early release of Deaderick. Could mean that Armstead has already impressed....Maybe he's more likely a 3 down player than a change of pace 3rd down penetrater as originally presumed???

It seemed that Love was the DL most likely to be released based on many predraft speculations.

BB didn't surprise us with trading down from the 29th pick but the haul he received was fantastic. Equally so was his apparent reach for hybrid players with exceptional athleticism and a history collegiate performance. I was surprised by the large salaries of FA wrs despite concerns over injury-prone players or wrs who had not really shown superior pro production. It seemed that he was projecting "breakout" futures for promising players....as though searching for a gem-in-the-rough???

While BB continues to shock and amaze us with many of his draft, UDFA, and FA signings it appears that he has shifted his philosophy in how to build a championship team. It's not just the successful BIG SCHOOL athletes that has garnered his interst but also the smaller schools with success records or individual talents with high potential but without a supporting cast/coach. For me, it's a new direction for the Pats who have yet to find Brady's replacement.

What seems most impressive is BB selection of duplicate/ even triplicate positional players to determine where the cream rises to the top.

It might be a political move by BB but to highlight important and reach in your statement says nothing about the pick itself. BB wouldn't have picked him if he didn't feel that way but then again BB also felt that way about T. Wilson, McKenzie, Crable, Ras and a whole host of others that had people scratching their heads. Now whether if Harmon turns into a Mankins/Vollmer type of reach that pays off or a Crable/McKenzie type of reach is still up for grabs at this point until we see him play.

As for Deadrick, I think people are reading to many tea leafs in this one. Deadrick could have been released for a number of reasons, many of which don't include on field performance. So, trying to link that to how they feel about Armstead is a bit premature. Lets again wait until we actually see what Armstead looks like before making any judgement.

With BB's philosphy of drafting I don't see a shift at all. actually I see a continuation of his philsophy spanning over at least the last 3-4 years. He's not moving so much from bigger schools to smaller schools but from one coaching resource to another. We see from year in and out BB drafts or signs UDFA's from schools he has some association with: Florida, Rutgers, Ala, Ohio, Penn. So this year he shifted to Rutgers from some of the better known schools but this isn't a shift in philosphy as much as a shift in coaching resources used in that year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Armstead also got the benefit of a shortened deal, rookies don't have that luxury. If he becomes a dominant line player for the Pats they'll have to pony up some money fast or he'll be gone. It's beneficial to both sides, the Pats get first look at a young talent, he gets a tryout on a high profile, winning team that could use some DT depth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Also I think you're seriously underestimating Armstead, not only was he dominant in Canada but his pro day workout for scouts was impressive.  He was a second round talent as a Jr without the benefit of his senior year which was spent playing against pro's in the great white north. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Also I think you're seriously underestimating Armstead, not only was he dominant in Canada but his pro day workout for scouts was impressive.  He was a second round talent as a Jr without the benefit of his senior year which was spent playing against pro's in the great white north. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I hope I'm pleasently surprised but I'm not getting my hopes too high. He signed what was essentially a UDFA contract in terms of both price and years (most UDFA contracts are 2-3 years). Before the CFL every team had a chance to grab him (including the Pats who worked him out at his Pro-Day) and no team took the chance on the kid. Even after a dominant CFL performance (imo the best CFL team wouldn't even crack a top 10 college ranking) the Pats got him for basically a steal. Now the kid has a ton of talent and I hope he ends up showing why he had day 2 talent before the heart condition but I've heard many people on this forum say (before the Kelley signing) that he was going to be a day 1 starter and saying he was like a high 2nd round or even a 1st round pick. I'm more of the thought that there is a reason the Pats got him for what they did. That he has a ton of potential but teams are seeing something that suggests he might not live up to that potential. So, I'm going into it looking at him closer to a Deadrick or Forston last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In response to moskk's comment:

BB didn't surprise us with trading down from the 29th pick but the haul he received was fantastic. Equally so was his apparent reach for hybrid players with exceptional athleticism and a history collegiate performance. I was surprised by the large salaries of FA wrs despite concerns over injury-prone players or wrs who had not really shown superior pro production. It seemed that he was projecting "breakout" futures for promising players....as though searching for a gem-in-the-rough???

It might be a political move by BB but to highlight important and reach in your statement says nothing about the pick itself. BB wouldn't have picked him if he didn't feel that way but then again BB also felt that way about T. Wilson, McKenzie, Crable, Ras and a whole host of others that had people scratching their heads. Now whether if Harmon turns into a Mankins/Vollmer type of reach that pays off or a Crable/McKenzie type of reach is still up for grabs at this point until we see him play.

As for Deadrick, I think people are reading to many tea leafs in this one. Deadrick could have been released for a number of reasons, many of which don't include on field performance. So, trying to link that to how they feel about Armstead is a bit premature. Lets again wait until we actually see what Armstead looks like before making any judgement.

With BB's philosphy of drafting I don't see a shift at all. actually I see a continuation of his philsophy spanning over at least the last 3-4 years. He's not moving so much from bigger schools to smaller schools but from one coaching resource to another. We see from year in and out BB drafts or signs UDFA's from schools he has some association with: Florida, Rutgers, Ala, Ohio, Penn. So this year he shifted to Rutgers from some of the better known schools but this isn't a shift in philosphy as much as a shift in coaching resources used in that year

To better put opinions in perspective, I like all of BB selections but am also aware of the fact that we are still choosing late in a deep draft that probably has no sure-fire #1 player. The players appear to have exceptional pro potential when considering their draft position. Yet, we are reminded that perhaps 50% of first round selections are success stories, 27% second round, 17% third round etc on a sliding scale through 7th round (I don't remember the exact percentages but think I'm in the ballpark).

When it comes to Armstead, although tendered at a 7th round selection I'm impressed that he performed as an All Star in the Canadian league...which should be a performance level above college. I therefore hope that he has at least 2nd round value (although not compensated as such). If I were playing odds I'd have to agree with your assessment that he has a long way to go to even make the squad considering how infrequently 7th rounders succeed. Yet Dennard made it and even other UDFAs and when comparing BBs success compared to other teams I'd like to think the odds of him hitting paydirt are better. He is, after all, betting his hand against the board knowing that others are selecting well before him and have the cream of the crop to chose from.

Thus I wonder why so much is made of BB's misses when the odds are so stacked against him. He must indeed enjoy SPECIAL STATUS when even the draft experts refuse to criticize his selections. One might even guess that he has picked more ALL PROS etc. than every other team from 2006-2012 despite picking from other's misses! Infallible, hardly...special, absolutely!!! Let's hope Armstead is one of his successes.