Flacco thinks Super Bowl in cold weather is "Retarded"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Flacco thinks Super Bowl in cold weather is "Retarded"

From ESPN.com:

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco didn't mask his feelings Monday when he was asked about the NFL's championship being decided next year at MetLife Stadium, the first outdoor Super Bowl at a cold-weather site.

"I think it's retarded. I probably shouldn't say that. I think it's stupid," he told reporters after the Ravens arrived in New Orleans for Sunday's Super Bowl. "If you want a Super Bowl, put a retractable dome on your stadium. Then you can get one.

FlaccoI think it's retarded. I probably shouldn't say that. I think it's stupid. If you want a Super Bowl, put a retractable dome on your stadium.

-- Joe Flacco, on Super Bowl
    in cold-weather venue

"Other than that I don't really like the idea. I don't think people would react very well to it, or be glad to play anybody in that kind of weather," he said.

Next year's Super Bowl will be held Feb. 2, 2014, at the building shared by the Giants and Jets in East Rutherford, N.J.

The record low for a Super Bowl kickoff is 39 degrees when Dallas beat Miami in January 1972 at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans. It'll be a lot warmer in the Big Easy when the Ravens andSan Francisco 49ers tangle Sunday. They'll be inside the Superdome.

The National Weather Service said the average high in nearby Newark, N.J., on Feb. 2 is 39.8 degrees and the low is 24.2. The average precipitation on that date going back to 1931 is about one-eighth of an inch.

Last week, on a 24-degree Thursday in Manhattan that felt a lot colder because of the wind, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league is "thrilled" that next year's Super Bowl is being hosted in the New York region, while adding that they'll be "prepared" in the event of harsh weather conditions. 

"We made this decision [to play the game here], obviously not knowing what the weather would be, but football is made to be played in the elements," Goodell said Thursday during a news conference at City Hall, adding that temperatures were forecast to be about 50 degrees in the coming days.

"We're gonna celebrate the game here. We're gonna celebrate the weather here. We're gonna make it a great experience," he said.

No city is immune to rugged weather. Even though Green Bay and Pittsburgh played inside Cowboys Stadium two years, snow and ice blanketed the lead-up events.

The only significant precipitation during a Super Bowl came in February 2007 at Miami. Playing in a rainstorm, Indianapolis and Chicago committed four turnovers in the first quarter.

Expect ticket sales to be brisk next year, StubHub spokesman Glenn Lehrman said last week. He predicted the 2014 Super Bowl would create the largest demand "we've ever had."

"I think people want to be part of a first-time experience. Whatever it is," he said.

Lehrman said because so many people live on the East Coast -- within driving distance of the stadium, not needing pricey hotel rooms -- cold weather wouldn't have a chilling effect.

Goodell and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg last week gave an overview of plans and events leading up to the game, highlighted by the creation of a "Super Bowl Boulevard," a massive fan event with free admission in midtown Manhattan that will take place from Jan. 29 to Feb. 1. Fans will be able to see the Vince Lombardi Trophy, catch nightly concerts and check out NFL-themed exhibits.

The NFC team will work out at the Giants' practice facility in East Rutherford, N.J., while the AFC team will practice at the Jets' facility in Florham Park, N.J. Both teams will stay at hotels in New Jersey.

One study projected that the economic impact to the region would add $550 million to $600 million.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Re: Flacco thinks Super Bowl in cold weather is

And who really cares what Flacco thiks about it anyway? I'm sure some over sensative butt-head will cry about him using the word "retarded".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Wasn't it nice when none of is had any inkling what Flacco thought?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

And who really cares what Flacco thiks about it anyway? I'm sure some over sensative butt-head will cry about him using the word "retarded".

And probably use spell check in the process.  Good to know Flacco is so influential.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Who cares what this Crow-thrower thinks, or says? He's overrated and underwhelming most of time, but put him in the SB media day, stick a microphone in front of him and he's quotable??  Who cares.  He'll be on sidelines observing the next SB anyway so what does he care?   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Poor choice of words by a person who isn't very smart.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i agree that it is dumb to have a super bowl outside.....but you have to know better than to use the word he used there. those players are supposed to be role models.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wasecl. Show wasecl's posts

Wait is he calling re tarded people stupid?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Funny how this works..... If polled, MOST NFLPA members will emphatically state that the Super Bowl MUST be played in a more neutral friendly site, given it's importance. Yet, they almost rioted when the Pro Bowl was NOT played in Hawaii. Nothings says "You've Arrived!!!' when an over paid NFL player whines about having his FREE trip to Hawaii at season's end, for a meaningless exhibition football game, where the true stars back out, or can't go (competing in the Super Bowl), taken away from him. Why, if the site wasn't Hawaii, I'd bet you'd see more of those mysterious illnesses, injuries, and "surgeries" happening, as in the year it was played in Miami, same location as the SB. remember those yahoo whines from "pro" athletes? Guess being named All Pro doesn't mean a thing unless it comes with the free trip to Aloha Land.

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!!

(In this case, I agree with Flacco: it IS retarted to pay the SB outdoors anyplace else but in a Northeast, or upper Midwest site. If the bozos cancelled a NFL game for a few days a couple of seasons ago, I can't wait to see what they do if a big storm hits Gotham the day before and morning of the SB, and is a two day event. How would they handle folks coming in for the game who MUST leave the morning after the game is played? Ticket refunds? Selling unsold tickets to give the impression the stadium is filled, and all is right in the NFL World? Would they move attending fans down and consolidate them, tarping off unfilled seast, claiming they were never sold in teh first place, a la jacksonville? What about extended hotel reservations? How about business folks travelling into Gotham AFTER the SB is held, starting the day after? It'll be a big mess, and I can't wait to see if it happens. And the BIGGEST black eye.... what if the storm hits on teh night of teh NFL's Party,a dn no one can make it? Folks weren't happy ith the pre-game events when it was held in Minneapolis. Is New Yorkersey any better? Poor weather doesn't make the theater any more palatable to visit, or clubs to go to. I believe it'll dwarf the game itself. And think of all the excuses the losing team will have.....)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

and he wants $20 million a year??!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Prior to this comment I wouldn't go so far as to call him one of the most unlikeable guys in the NFL, but now I would.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Joe Flacco also thinks he's the best QB the NFL has ever seen. It's no concern to him....he won't be playing in it anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

ho ho spoken like a true dewsh bag

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

LOL, so the knucklehead isn't PC? Who cares

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Overrated? Only by himself, nobody else puts him in the top tier.

Lots of hate for a guy who had his team in position to make a SB last year if not for Lee Evans/Cundiff, and GOT them there this year. He's not playing like early Rapelithsburger with the team winning in spite of him, he's been very, very good.

Rhodes Scholar? Hardly. But if you still want to dump on Flacco as a "bad QB", you haven't been paying attention for 2 straight seasons. He's not elite, but he's definitely turned the corner and is just that one step down from elite at this point.

2 straight years, 2 straight playoff games against the Pats; he outplayed Brady, simple as that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Oh, and he's right.

Did ANYONE enjoy that Indy/Chi SB where it was pouring? That was probably the worst SB in the past decade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

WHile I think it is a reasonable idea to play football in whatever the weather is I understand the guy's thought. Frankly this is one of the biggest "so what" threads we have started. And outside of his poor choice of words (and he did try to correct his inappropriate choice) I do nto see how this reflects either well or badly on Flacco. Essentially - "so what!?"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Not commenting on his words... Commenting on the essence of what he was trying to articulate.

SB in NY is a bad idea.

Very few of the people who can afford to shell out the cost of tickets will be willing to be out in NY winter weather for three- four hours. There will be empty seats. The atmosphere will not be SB-like.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to ultpatfan's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Who cares what this Crow-thrower thinks, or says? He's overrated and underwhelming most of time, but put him in the SB media day, stick a microphone in front of him and he's quotable??  Who cares.  He'll be on sidelines observing the next SB anyway so what does he care?   

awww still bitter?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

Poor choice of words by a person who isn't very smart.

how do u know his level of intelligence? u know him personally? have spoken to him many times on various subjects? u were his teacher in high school?

please tell us

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

probably just a slip of the tongue, not the best choice of words but i doubt he meant to insult anyone. playing the superbowl in the cold isn't a very good idea. i hope the ravens win sunday.