Focus on O-Line?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from calchu7. Show calchu7's posts

Focus on O-Line?

I think the Pats have been focusing a lot on the defensive, which is great.

However, if you look back to the playoff game against the Ravens you'll remember that Brady didn't have enough time to get of many passes in that game.

The Pats D seems to be deteriorating year after year.  The worst part it is a very inconsistent unit from game to game.

The Logan Mankins situation is not good news either.

The only bright spot is Vollmer, who I hope will continue to develop.

I am worried about the O-Line.  Without a good O-Line it doesn't matter how healthy Brady is and how fast Moss is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from calchu7. Show calchu7's posts

Re: Focus on O-Line?

I'm sorry I meant that the Pats O-Line was deteriorating, not the D.

In Response to Focus on O-Line?:
    I think the Pats have been focusing a lot on the defensive, which is great. However, if you look back to the playoff game against the Ravens you'll remember that Brady didn't have enough time to get of many passes in that game. The Pats D seems to be deteriorating year after year.  The worst part it is a very inconsistent unit from game to game. The Logan Mankins situation is not good news either. The only bright spot is Vollmer, who I hope will continue to develop. I am worried about the O-Line.  Without a good O-Line it doesn't matter how healthy Brady is and how fast Moss is.
    Posted by calchu7

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I hope the Pats draft a guy like Duccase or Veldheer( SP?) in the 2nd round, we do need an upgrade there for sure, and spending one of our 3 second rounders on a stud O lineman would make a lot of sense.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

I agree, one of the first 4 picks has to be OL... Need to protect brady and also become a dominant run blocking line...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

By the end of last year our O line looked old and beat up.  It's time to let younger men take up the task.  Draft the best O linemen we can find. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I wonder what they could get from Denver for Koppen? If you think we have Center problems you should have Denvers problem they don't even have a Center on their present roster unless you count our old long snapper as an every down Center. I'm not saying to trade Koppen as I know he was injured last year but just for giggles I wonder how much Josh would give up to have a bonefide Center without having to show him the ropes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

This site seems to imply that the Pats have one of the best offensive lines in the league: http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Check each position and the metrics (basically a +/- grading system on each play) and you'll see even the weak link Kazcur is only mediocre (just bad at critical times, which stats hide).  Vollmer is #5 at tackle.  Mankins is # 5 at guard.  Neal was the #1 guard.  

I hear that the Pats may replace Koppen (#18) but even then I don't see the urgency of need like I do on defense - I think we could wait and still get by with what we got.

I would LOVE to see the Pats try to trade for Jared Gaither, though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I'd like to the O-line with new young talent across the whole line. Get some more guys like Vollmer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Would I be unhappy if we say took my boy Pouncey in the 1st, Veldheer in the 2nd?  with maybe Hughes and Dwyer in rd 2 and a TE like Graham in rd 4?  Not at all.  I would like that draft. I prefer a really good OLB like Graham, but Pouncey is so solid. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Focus on O-Line?:
    This site seems to imply that the Pats have one of the best offensive lines in the league:  http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1 Check each position and the metrics (basically a +/- grading system on each play) and you'll see even the weak link Kazcur is only mediocre (just bad at critical times, which stats hide).  Vollmer is #5 at tackle.  Mankins is # 5 at guard.  Neal was the #1 guard.   I hear that the Pats may replace Koppen (#18) but even then I don't see the urgency of need like I do on defense - I think we could wait and still get by with what we got. I would LOVE to see the Pats try to trade for Jared Gaither, though.
    Posted by NickC1188

Does it take into consideration how many times Brady was knocked down, hit after the ball or at the time the ball was been thrown.  I know what all the stats say, only gave up 18 sacks but that was more on Brady than the OL.  He was getting rid off the ball quickly to WW and not allowing the sack. 
    What I saw during games doesn't match the OL been amoung the best in football but that's just my opinion.

Pats have to address the tackle position, Light is gone after next year and the only option we have is Voll.   Katzur is not even close, would like to see Saffold or Veldheer drafted in the second.  At guard there are some late round options who could add depth and a starter after a year NFL coaching.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

This site seems to imply that the Pats have one of the best offensive lines in the league:  http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1 Check each position and the metrics (basically a +/- grading system on each play) and you'll see even the weak link Kazcur is only mediocre (just bad at critical times, which stats hide).  Vollmer is #5 at tackle.  Mankins is # 5 at guard.  Neal was the #1 guard.   I hear that the Pats may replace Koppen (#18) but even then I don't see the urgency of need like I do on defense - I think we could wait and still get by with what we got. I would LOVE to see the Pats try to trade for Jared Gaither, though.
    Posted by NickC1188

I'd bet money that pouncey is ahead of any of the defensive players we're been talking about all winter on the Pats' board. I think that, if he's there at #22, we grab him like a grizzly snatching up a salmon. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Would I be unhappy if we say took my boy Pouncey in the 1st, Veldheer in the 2nd?  with maybe Hughes and Dwyer in rd 2 and a TE like Graham in rd 4?  Not at all.  I would like that draft. I prefer a really good OLB like Graham, but Pouncey is so solid. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

which Graham? The one from Wisconsin or Miami? I don't think either would be left by round 4, especially not Jimmy Graham, a quick 6'6" 260 lb. TE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Mankins really has little choice but play especially with the lockout likely for '11. He might get a bit extra $ and that's it. 

Agreed they need to draft a OL  high. Vollmer looks good, but they need at least one more good young OL preferrably a Tackle. I can see them drafting an OL at 22 especially if they feel at least one of the pass rushers remaining on their board will be available in rd 2.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Vollmer is hot and getting red hot.  Logan Mankins is hot.  Steve Neal is hot when his injury isn't bad.

Dan Koppen is average in the NFL.  Light/Kaczur are both average.  They can play, but an upgrade would be nice.  None has earned a raise, but Koppen and Light would each get a big raise elsewhere as free agents.  Kaczur is a good guy with a bad rep around the league.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from calchu7. Show calchu7's posts

By no means was our D stellar, but it wasn't half bad.  The only game I recalled where our opponent killed us offensively was the Saints game last season.  Other than that I don't think there were that many opponents scored more than 24 points against us last season.  In close games, the D does enough to at least give us a shot.  You can't expect the D to make every play.  The offense just couldn't make any plays, and pressure kept going back to the D.

With that being said, during the close games we lost because we couldn't score. The first half of the season was because of Joey "butterfingers" Galloway.  But most of the time we couldn't score b/c our O-Line couldn't buy Brady enough time to make a play.  No QB is going to be able to make a play if the O-Line can't block.

Our offense didn't look like it was ever really in sync.  There were flashes of life, but I didn't see anything impressive or nostalgic of the superbowl years.  For the most part I was more disappointed with the offense than the D. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

pick veldheer in the 2nd, would provide healthy competition for vollmer and make our L and R tackles secure for the next 5 years. It would also give brady the protection he deserves while allowing us to use the TE's as passing threats instead of forcing them to block/pass protect.