Folks in Kansas City Having "Buyers' Remorse" on Cassel?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: Folks in Kansas City Having "Buyers' Remorse" on Cassel?

[QUOTE]I can't think of any time that Cassel "lost the game" for the team. Possibly the Steelers, but they were the best defense in the league. I think the Ravens may have beat him had they met in January. But the games that were lost were mainly due to the defense. In both the Miami and San Diego games they gave up 30 points (or more). They failed to stop the Jests in OT (after Cassel led them from behind to tie it at the end). Indy was really close. I'd say that stupid penalty was more a cause of losing than Cassel. That leaves Pittsburgh, and the second half collapse. By the end of the season Cassel was pretty much moving the offense at will. If he improves at the rate he did in 08 he'll do fine in KC. Although trading Gonzales didn't make sense to me. That guy is a QB's best friend inside the 15 yard line! We'll see how he does. KC will still s u c k if they don't improve a lot on defense. In 08 they couldn't stop anyone, especially in the 4th quarter.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

The Indy game had the penalty and the Gaffney drop at the end of the third. Still a tough memory considering that win would have basically put them in the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]I've never seen winning by 50 points holding more weight than winning by 1.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Who said that?  How does that have anything to do with the conversation?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm not sure what this segment of the argument has to do with Matt Cassel, but there actually is a scenario where point differential is used as a tiebreaker in determining playoff eligibility, so yes, sometimes winning by more than one is important.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Well, by signing a long term deal, the only thing Cassel would guarantee himself of getting anyway is the signing bonus.  He's guaranteed almost $15 million this year, and maybe Pioli isn't willing to go higher than that on the bonus.

So regardless of how Cassel feels this year will go, it may make no difference in the money that is guaranteed to him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Well, by signing a long term deal, the only thing Cassel would guarantee himself of getting anyway is the signing bonus.  He's guaranteed almost $15 million this year, and maybe Pioli isn't willing to go higher than that on the bonus. So regardless of how Cassel feels this year will go, it may make no difference in the money that is guaranteed to him.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

My understanding on player contracts is all that matters is what's guaranteed.  I have no doubt the Chiefs are not offering anything more than the 15 mill anyhow.  So until they up the ante, their is no reason for Cassel to agree to anything.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]     According to an article by Chiefs' beatwriter Jason Whitlock, its'  time to reconsider the conventional wisdom that Scott Pioli "stole" Matt Cassel from the Patriots for a second round pick. He points out that Cassel's agent, Dave Dunn, seems to be driving an extremely hard bargain on a long term deal for the former Pats' QB. As a result, Pioli has seemingly opted to pass on a long term deal, and let Cassel's one year, $14.65mil. deal play out.      Whitlock went on to say that, without Randy Moss (who he calls "the greatest offensive force in the NFL since Jim Brown") and Wes Welker, its' likely that Cassel will fall on his face in KC. If that happens, it may turn out that Pioli traded the 34th overall pick to the Pats for a one year rental on Cassel:  http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1218162.html      
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Whitlock is the same idiot who says Peyton Manning is grossly overrated, and that Byron Leftwich is not being given a fair chance. Now he hates Cassel? Hmm, let me figure his out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "Whitlock is the same idiot who says Peyton Manning is grossly overrated, and that Byron Leftwich is not being given a fair chance. Now he hates Cassel? Hmm, let me figure his out." --

But Bob, Whitlock can't be a racist.

He's black.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]     -- "Whitlock is the same idiot who says Peyton Manning is grossly overrated, and that Byron Leftwich is not being given a fair chance. Now he hates Cassel? Hmm, let me figure his out." -- But Bob, Whitlock can't be a racist. He's black.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Why couldn't he be racist? He lavishes praise on Leftwich and Moss (though Moss at least deserves it),  and speaks against Cassel and Manning. It goes both ways. I'm not saying he is, mind you, I haven't heard enough about the guy to form an opinion. But being a minority and being racist are not mutually exclusive! I think a lot of people are underestimating Cassel myself. Sure, he probably won'y win 11 games in KC, but Brady or Manning probably couldn't, either! If they do something with their defense (who could give up a 40-burger to a Division II team) Cassel could do well. Though losing TG has to be a hit for him. The way he was improving at the end of the season makes me think he will play as well in 09. Whether the Chiefs can support him enough to win many games remains to be seen. From what I've heard Pioli was the one adamant on Brady, not BB, back in 2000. If Pioli thinks Cassel will make it I'll take his opinion over some media moron any day!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Maybe from now on I'll post all my sarcasm in red.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe from now on I'll post all my sarcasm in red .

Sorry, it's early yet. I forgot you were answering the blowhard!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]Whitlock is the same idiot who says Peyton Manning is grossly overrated, and that Byron Leftwich is not being given a fair chance. Now he hates Cassel? Hmm, let me figure his out.
    Posted by BostonBobBlowhard[/QUOTE]

For quite a few years many writers said Peyton was the best QB in football, which was far from the truth, Brady is.  So I don't disagree with Whitlock when he says Manning was grossly overrated.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Whitlock isn't that good a journalist. The Kansas City Star has a large staff of very good writers that help support marginal writers like Whitlock. And  the editorial staff totally knows how to edit - without them, Whitlock would be writing fortunes in a cookie factory. He is a system journalist.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Nice shot.

System journalist.

Tongue out

That's pretty funny.

I'll admit, I don't read Whitlock unless somebody points me to him. But I used to see him on the Sports Reporters (although not lately -- ha ha ha) and I've heard him enough all over talk radio to know how his act ends before it starts. If it wasn't for clinical whack-job Bill Rhoden, Whitlock would be the biggest (in girth and bias) biggot in the sports media.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

I see Whitlock when he writes columns for Fox sports on the MSN page.
    He seems Ok to me. He rips blacks as much as he does whites.
    People hear what they want to hear.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]At this juncture, folks, does it really matter how Cassel does in KC?  He is no longer a Patriot and I prefer we keep to our Pats and what this team will do with a healthy Brady, not a KC team with a former Pat player. Sorry for being to the point!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Every time we lose a player, it seems these guys go on about how he wasn't any good anyway, and every time we pick up anybody(case in point---this bum Baker who probably won't play), they say how great the new guy is. Cassel did well for us. So did Vrabel. hey move on. So should we.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you. Every time we lose a player, it seems these guys go on about how he wasn't any good anyway, and every time we pick up anybody(case in point---this bum Baker who probably won't play), they say how great the new guy is. Cassel did well for us. So did Vrabel. hey move on. So should we.

Right.
     See comments made when Stallworth and Asante Samuel and even some degree Josh McD left.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

How about this... maybe, just maybe, this was a win-win scenario and ultimately, both teams will be happy with the trade. I believe casell will thrive in KC, although it may take a couple of years to build an offense around his talents.
    The pats got the best deal available at that point in time and parlayed in into a highly rated DB, their biggest need.
    Its not always about sodomizing your trading partner, in the NFL or in business.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you. Every time we lose a player, it seems these guys go on about how he wasn't any good anyway, and every time we pick up anybody(case in point---this bum Baker who probably won't play), they say how great the new guy is. Cassel did well for us. So did Vrabel. hey move on. So should we.

So how many players that the Pats had picked up in the past have had better seasons AFTER the left?  Not many.  Samuel is the only one that comes to mind.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

In any case, even if they had received a mid/late first round pick, they would have traded it. They didn't see anyone available at 23, would they have at say, 20? Their main objectives were to get some compensation, while keeping Cassel out of the AFC East. Both were accomplished. Also, much like the case with Peppers, other teams knew they needed the cap space, and were not going to "overpay" for Cassel. I think they made a good deal in any case.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

-- "So how many players that the Pats had picked up in the past have had better seasons AFTER the left?  Not many.  Samuel is the only one that comes to mind." --

Jim Plunkett.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]               -- "So how many players that the Pats had picked up in the past have had better seasons AFTER the left?  Not many.  Samuel is the only one that comes to mind. " --  Jim Plunkett.

Yeah, Plunkett was readed to SF in 76 and was released in 78.  Picked up by the Raiders as a back up in 78 and didn't start playing for them until 80.

Then became a back up again in 83....

He was not all that good to begin with....and that is not recent history...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I don't really mind you throwing the word "recent" in after the fact to bolster your point, and I guess winning the Super Bowl is only spectacular when Tom Brady does it.

I'm just saying, Plunkett was awesome, and he would have been a transcendent star in the NFL had he not had the sad misfortune to have been drafted by those wacky Boston Patriots.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

It was no small feat to come back from being unwanted to winning 2 SBs, albeit as a backup coming in halfway through the season. Had he played for a team like the Steelers, Cowboys, or Dolphins he'd probably have had at least two rings by the time SF cut him! I think Cassel will do well, too. The biggest issue in KC is the defense. And now Pioli is building the team (and Herm is NOT coaching), they may surprise people in a year or two.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Do not underestimate the addition by subtraction of Hermm Edwards.

I never could understand why Kansas City was so hot and bothered to sn*tch Hermm from Green New Jersey after the Jest tore up the league -- 3-13 (?) -- under Hermm.

(apparently sn atch is on the list)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]It was no small feat to come back from being unwanted to winning 2 SBs, albeit as a backup coming in halfway through the season. Had he played for a team like the Steelers, Cowboys, or Dolphins he'd probably have had at least two rings by the time SF cut him! I think Cassel will do well, too. The biggest issue in KC is the defense. And now Pioli is building the team (and Herm is NOT coaching), they may surprise people in a year or two.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Bub, the only surprise on defense for K.C. is if they hire BB as their head coach.  Otherwise, I haven't been impressed with anything K.C. is doing.