FOOTBALL/PRO SPORTS is NOT on the Level.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from grammbo14. Show grammbo14's posts

FOOTBALL/PRO SPORTS is NOT on the Level.

I am not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but I am interested in what people think. Pro sports is a multi-billion dollar business and while I don't think games are fixed per se, I believe the point spread is and the NFL,NBA,etc, want big market teams to win (i.e. more ratings, endorsements). NFL refs belong to a different group from the NFL and it would be SO EASY to control a ref and i.e. control the point spread. How many times have we seen phantom calls (not missed calls, but phantom calls- calling a penalty on something that NEVER happened), or a huge disparity in penalties called between 2 teams or something even more outrageous.
    Exhibit A) Chargers vs Steelers- Nov, 2008.
    Let me know what your thought are. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: FOOTBALL/PRO SPORTS is NOT on the Level.

In Response to FOOTBALL/PRO SPORTS is NOT on the Level.:
    I am not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but I am interested in what people think. Pro sports is a multi-billion dollar business and while I don't think games are fixed per se, I believe the point spread is and the NFL,NBA,etc, want big market teams to win (i.e. more ratings, endorsements). NFL refs belong to a different group from the NFL and it would be SO EASY to control a ref and i.e. control the point spread. How many times have we seen phantom calls (not missed calls, but phantom calls- calling a penalty on something that NEVER happened), or a huge disparity in penalties called between 2 teams or something even more outrageous. Exhibit A) Chargers vs Steelers- Nov, 2008. http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/steelers-chargers-chaos-rattles-vegas-strip / Let me know what your thought are. 
    Posted by grammbo14

You mean big market teams like the Indianapolis Colts and the Nawlins Saints?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

In Response to FOOTBALL/PRO SPORTS is NOT on the Level.:
    I am not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but I am interested in what people think. Pro sports is a multi-billion dollar business and while I don't think games are fixed per se, I believe the point spread is and the NFL,NBA,etc, want big market teams to win (i.e. more ratings, endorsements). NFL refs belong to a different group from the NFL and it would be SO EASY to control a ref and i.e. control the point spread. How many times have we seen phantom calls (not missed calls, but phantom calls- calling a penalty on something that NEVER happened), or a huge disparity in penalties called between 2 teams or something even more outrageous. Exhibit A) Chargers vs Steelers- Nov, 2008. http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/steelers-chargers-chaos-rattles-vegas-strip / Let me know what your thought are. 
    Posted by grammbo14

Okay, you are about to take a beating on this post because most fans will say that you are crazy and there is no way you could fix pro sports. The facts are that anything that is run by billionaires can and will be fixed, its called sports entertainment. Remember this always and never forget it, The concept and construction of a Pro Sports system is to make money for the owner/players,  that foremost is the bottom line. As early as 1918 with the Black Sox Incident began so you can see where this is going. Again, most here will say this is insane because of how big pro sports is that someone would come forward. Well just take a look around the world and lets see shall we, you have a pro basketball ref that was thrown under the bus and stated many were involved later to recant that and he was a one time scape goat. You had Pete Rose, back in the 1980's there were 3 college basketball players that were going to go to congress and spill their guts about point shaving, but all of a sudden changed their minds. I could go on for quite a while about how easy it is to fix and rig anything but again remember this, Do you really think a group of billionaires would take and spend all their monies on players and games and not turn the market as to make sure that they win and spread the wealth around? Owner meetings are more secret then the federal governments. Here is something to ponder for you, 20 years ago how many fans thought pro wrestling was real? The odds will amaze you that it was over 70 percent. Until Hulk Hogan said for sure it was fake. Now many are going to argue and say hey wait thats just pro wrestling, but last year a well known wide reciever came out in an interview and said, I dont know why the fans get so angry, this is just sports entertainment.
    Bottom line, if Im a billionaire looking to make an investment, my money goes where I can control it and know the outcome. My opinion is yes its fixed to an extent, but thats just me. I think the Fed runs the economy of most of the world, I think Kennedy was killed by more than one gunman, I know George Bush and his family belonged and does belong to the Fed (banking) and Big oil, I think OJ was guilty, and Tom Brady is an alien from another solar system and that Lazarethinasanitorium is actually big brother, hes watching all of us!Yell

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Get "Personal Foul" out of interlibrary loan.  It's about a basketball ref who fixed games for himself, and a friend made the big huge bets, until his blabbermouth friend tipped off a mobster, who wanted his fair share of course.  The FBI busted the mobster for something else, and for a better deal the mobster ratted out the ref who was poorly connected and was only collateral to the mob's main business.

There are two innate groups inside the NBA who want to fix games.  First, the refs collude just because they don't like a guy, for example, Latrell Sprewell who choked a ref once.  Or sometimes they don't like a certain club.  So they call tickytack fouls in one direction only, for revenge.

The other group is NBA management.  Management deliberately threw certain playoff games in order to stretch out the playoff schedule, which increased their advertising revenues.
    Money mouthMoney mouth

That's how it works.  Now, is there enough money in all of NFL football to buy a player, a ref or a coach?  Duh, yes!  Games may even have multiple forces on them, one buying a victory one way, one the other way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

On the officiating I think baseball and football do a good job. Football has been greatly enhanced by replay. Basketball officiating is horrible however.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Freeway555. Show Freeway555's posts

All sports are bad... Anyone who reads that link I posted before can see the refs interfere with the NFL at least

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

In Response to Re: FOOTBALL/PRO SPORTS is NOT on the Level.:
    On the officiating I think baseball and football do a good job. Football has been greatly enhanced by replay. Basketball officiating is horrible however.
    Posted by calvinator

Just to hit on what you said about baseball, this years playoffs had balls that were a foot inside the lind called foul, and many others I recall. Baseball is getting right up there with them and they do not want instant replay. From what I watch its come to the point they dont even care how bad the call is, they just make it anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

As somebody who likes to place an occasional dollar or two on the game I'd say Football is the closest to being on the level. The NBA is a complete joke with it's biased and subjective foul calling. I would never bet the NBA unless I was just jonesing for action and I'll never be that hard up. Pro sports are for entertainment and I don't like getting wrapped up in the conspiracy stuff because it detracts from my enjoyment of the game. That is unless I'm looking for a reason to rip somebody else's team. The NFL seems to be trying to right the ship with the OT rule change but they really need to get some consistency on P.I. and Offensive holding calls. Other than that I still think they're pretty level games and the best team wins on most occasions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

the obvious thing to say here is "Well, Yeah Dummy of course Pro Sports are not on the level!"
    The reason I put it this way is to say even the U.S. Congress agrees which is why they give all the leagues MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL antitrust exemptions.

As far as the officiating I agree an official could not only influence outcomes but could also be corrupted pretty easily. Now having said that... I don't have any idea how much it has happened.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Freeway555. Show Freeway555's posts

So no one read that link I posted...Anyone who reads that article can see the NFL is compromised and Refs CAN affect the outcome of a game

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

man there have definately been some calls in the nfl that just cant be explained as "bad calls" that definately changed the outcomes of games..so im in on it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: FOOTBALL/PRO SPORTS is NOT on the Level.:
    Get "Personal Foul" out of interlibrary loan.  It's about a basketball ref who fixed games for himself, and a friend made the big huge bets, until his blabbermouth friend tipped off a mobster, who wanted his fair share of course.  The FBI busted the mobster for something else, and for a better deal the mobster ratted out the ref who was poorly connected and was only collateral to the mob's main business. There are two innate groups inside the NBA who want to fix games.  First, the refs collude just because they don't like a guy, for example, Latrell Sprewell who choked a ref once.  Or sometimes they don't like a certain club.  So they call tickytack fouls in one direction only, for revenge. The other group is NBA management.  Management deliberately threw certain playoff games in order to stretch out the playoff schedule, which increased their advertising revenues. That's how it works.  Now, is there enough money in all of NFL football to buy a player, a ref or a coach?  Duh, yes!  Games may even have multiple forces on them, one buying a victory one way, one the other way.
    Posted by Paul_K

A bad ref or even a trend among refs to dump on or help out certain players is one thing. This has become so prevalent in the NBA I can rarely even stand to watch a game. 
    PP gets dumped on, league-wide, year-in and year-out. In contrast, its apparently now an automatic foul for a defender to come within three feet of Kobe at any time. 

Anyhow, these types of individual/personal issues are light years away from the type of league-wide conspiracies that have been suggested here. I'm mystified at how otherwise intelligent people can propose such ridiculous theories, without the slightest shred of evidence to support them, besides not lliking the outcome of a few games.

Like with the Kennedy assassination;  Think about how many thousands of people would have to be involved with of such a conspiracy! All the officials for one, and you know they'll all be complaining to their wives. All the NFL middlemen who would be giving orders to refs. All levels of supervision of refs. All the people who would have to decide what games are to be affected and by how many points, etc. etc..

Just not workable.

Not

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Rex Ryan was in on it.