For those who hate Tim Tebow...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: For those who hate Tim Tebow...

In Response to Re: For those who hate Tim Tebow...:
    [QUOTE]I think all the hate for this guy is beyond ridiculous. All he does is play hard, win, and believe in Jesus & God. Seriously, how is this a bad thing? The media has (once again) turned this into a circus. So he's religeous....isn't that better than most of the scumbags thugs we read about that are beating women, carrying guns, fights in nightclubs, etc. This kid flies straight, and plays well and people don't like him? Why? He's harmless, why waste energy hating a kid that is doing great in life?
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

I agree that there are a whole lotta things worse that being a bible thumper.

I don't think there is hate for Tebow.  I think the hate is for people who want to make Tebow's something he's not.  He's a terrible passing QB.  And his game winning percentage isn't that high.  he's not that talented.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of public displays of worshipping God, whether it's some guy kneeling in the end zone after a TD, or pointing up to the sky after a HR.  I just don't think God cares that much about sports.  And if he does work that way, then praying for a touchdown or to simply perform well is kind of selfish considering all of the really important things going on.  I can see praying that you carry out your mission in Afghanistan to the best of your ability or thanking God when you arrive back at the base, but sports just aren't that important.

I think there is some resentment because some people act like he's literally God's gift.  Do what he's done and engage in Dog fighting and you're a thug.  Do it and pray, and you're the second coming.  Somehow, "doing it for God", makes him better than other players with the same level of talent and same level of success.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

No wonder he can't throw, his hands are cramped from working those tatas

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: For those who hate Tim Tebow... : i agreed with your whole post until.. "But to have all this attention heaped on a guy who has accomplished squat is  nauseating to those who love the game for the game." teh guy has accomplished plenntyy!!! credit where credit is due. 1-4 team likely woulda finished with 3 or 4 wins. he takes his team to the playoffs. they all play better beacuse of tim tebow. they beat pitt. credit where credit is due. otherwise i think u undermine everything you said above, not giving him credit because he has a few religious followers. my 2 cents. anecdotally just hearing vince now in an interview: (unrelated to my comments) wilfork on tebows running alone: "hes one of the biggest, strongest, and probably the toughest guy ive faced"
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I give Tebow credit for being the QB of a playoff team, just as I would give Mark Sanchez credit for being the QB of a team that twice went to the AFC championship. In both cases, though their teams did well, I would not get giddy over either QB's accomplishments.

Certainly not worthy of the press Tebow gets. Alex Smith is the QB of a 13-3 team, that earned a bye. We all know that he's likely there because the defense carried the team to most of its wins. But I don't hear anyone saying, "That D plays much better for Alex Smith!" In fact, it's hard to find anyone talking about Alex Smith at all.

Likewise, Denver would not be a playoff team had its D (and their kicker) not carried them through a stream of downright atrocious Tebow performances. He's a good kid, no doubt, but his Canton credentials have yet to be established.

If and when they are, I'll be right up front giving him his due.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: For those who hate Tim Tebow...": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: For those who hate Tim Tebow... : Well said, Rusty. I don't know anyone who hates Tebow; I know plenty of people who hate the media obsession with Tebow. Cam Newton threw for more than 4,000 yards and 20 touchdowns, as a rookie , but doesn't get 1/10th the ink of Tebow; if the Panthers didn't have such a crappy D, he'd probably be in the playoffs, too. The one thing I have always loved about team sport is it cuts through many of society's ills and taboos; race, ethnicity, creed, political beliefs...none of that matters when you are trying to be the best . Now, unfortunately, religion is publicly injected into the equation. Honestly, I don't want to watch football where blacks cheer for blacks and whites for whites; or pro-lifers for pro-lifers and pro-choicers for pro-choicers; or Democrats for Democrats and Republicans for Republicans; or southerners for southerners and northerners for northerners... ...or Christians for Christians and others for others. I want football to be what it has always been; a meritocracy . A place where background does not matter; where we can respect a Tom Brady or a Troy Brown, not because of their group affiliations, but because of their performance on the field . Which is why, even on a 13-3 team, we can be discouraged with the performance of a Devin McCourty or a Logan Mankins, whom we might have praised in the past. And we can celebrate a Julian Edelman, whom we might have criticized in the past. But if your actual skill and performance does not matter; if all that matters is that you are the celebrity poster boy of a popular affinity group...football suffers, though the marketing of football may benefit. If and when Tim Tebow becomes Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers or Drew Bress or Peyton Manning, then he will rightly deserve the attention earned by such men, as a result of their consistent, outstanding performance. But to have all this attention heaped on a guy who has accomplished squat is  nauseating to those who love the game for the game. Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE] The Panthers defense is 27th, Denver is 24th, the difference is about 2 PPG. Cam Newton had an impressive season but much of the talk was about yards overlooking the fact that he threw 17 interceptions. Tebow's hype, which certainly outweighs what he deserves for his skill comes mostly from the fact that all the experts predicted he would never make it. An absurd prediction for a very famous, two time national championship winning, Heisman trophy holder. Maybe he will not be a great starter but for anyone to scoff at the idea that a man with his accomplishments and physical skills could not make it over the laundry list of mediocre and poor QB's in the NFL (who accomplished even less in college) is crazy. And everyone loves watching the experts be completely wrong over and over again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

What's next? Tebow wearing a Jesus fish  banana hammock?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: For those who hate Tim Tebow... : Is she a virgin also???
    Posted by ASO9771[/QUOTE]

No. Sealed

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

That my friends is Lucy Pinder, and she is a british model. She is not his GF that was all hyped when he took a pic with her in college.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: For those who hate Tim Tebow... : Well said, Rusty. I don't know anyone who hates Tebow; I know plenty of people who hate the media obsession with Tebow. Cam Newton threw for more than 4,000 yards and 20 touchdowns, as a rookie , but doesn't get 1/10th the ink of Tebow; if the Panthers didn't have such a crappy D, he'd probably be in the playoffs, too. The one thing I have always loved about team sport is it cuts through many of society's ills and taboos; race, ethnicity, creed, political beliefs...none of that matters when you are trying to be the best . Now, unfortunately, religion is publicly injected into the equation. Honestly, I don't want to watch football where blacks cheer for blacks and whites for whites; or pro-lifers for pro-lifers and pro-choicers for pro-choicers; or Democrats for Democrats and Republicans for Republicans; or southerners for southerners and northerners for northerners... ...or Christians for Christians and others for others. I want football to be what it has always been; a meritocracy . A place where background does not matter; where we can respect a Tom Brady or a Troy Brown, not because of their group affiliations, but because of their performance on the field . Which is why, even on a 13-3 team, we can be discouraged with the performance of a Devin McCourty or a Logan Mankins, whom we might have praised in the past. And we can celebrate a Julian Edelman, whom we might have criticized in the past. But if your actual skill and performance does not matter; if all that matters is that you are the celebrity poster boy of a popular affinity group...football suffers, though the marketing of football may benefit. If and when Tim Tebow becomes Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers or Drew Bress or Peyton Manning, then he will rightly deserve the attention earned by such men, as a result of their consistent, outstanding performance. But to have all this attention heaped on a guy who has accomplished squat is  nauseating to those who love the game for the game.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4[/QUOTE]

...or Star Trek fans for Star Trek fans, and Battlestar Gallactica fans for Battlestar Galactica fans, or Friends fans for Friends fans, or Seinfeld fans for Seinfeld fans...