Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE?

In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE?:
    [QUOTE]Oops!
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

Ouch, that really hurts.  Here's another painful one.

26 (90)Patriots (From Cowboys)Price, Taylor WR6'0"204Ohio7.3-- 
     Pick Analysis: null
    27 (91)49ers (From Chargers)Bowman, NavorroLB6'0"242Penn State7.9--Video
    28 (92)Browns (From Jets)Lauvao, ShawnOT6'2"315Arizona State2.4--Video
    29 (93)Chiefs (From Vikings through Texans)Moeaki, TonyTE6'3"245Iowa3.6--Video
    30 (94)ColtsThomas, KevinCB6'0"192Southern Cal7.1--Video
    31 (95)SaintsGraham, JimmyTE6'6"260Miami7.3--Video

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]What happens if the Pats sign Wallace to a mega deal and he can't understand the playbook? What if he doesn't know where to lineup in the no-huddle? What if he's just like Ocho? What then?
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]

We tell him to go deep (and take the FS with him) just like we did with Moss, lol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : Ouch, that really hurts.  Here's another painful one. 26 (90) Patriots   (From Cowboys) Price, Taylor WR 6'0" 204 Ohio 7.3 --     Pick Analysis: null [+] 27 (91) 49ers   (From Chargers) Bowman, Navorro LB 6'0" 242 Penn State 7.9 -- Video   Pick Analysis: null [+] 28 (92) Browns   (From Jets) Lauvao, Shawn OT 6'2" 315 Arizona State 2.4 -- Video   Pick Analysis: null [+] 29 (93) Chiefs   (From Vikings through Texans) Moeaki, Tony TE 6'3" 245 Iowa 3.6 -- Video   Pick Analysis: null [+] 30 (94) Colts Thomas, Kevin CB 6'0" 192 Southern Cal 7.1 -- Video   Pick Analysis: null [+] 31 (95) Saints Graham, Jimmy TE 6'6" 260 Miami 7.3 -- Video
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

that one hurts....ugh

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]The real team to worry about is the Ravens followed closely by SD,what are their cap situations looking like? those are the two teams you want stretching their dollars and losing additional weapons in the process.JMO!!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Ask and you shall receive.  I'm not worried about SD as long as Norv Turner is head coach.  SD is about to lose VJ so they shouldn't be as good and BAL has to deal with Ray Rice.  They may tag him so they will be spending more too...

POSSIBLE BIG SPENDERS

Teams that have the cap space to make big moves in free agency.

Cincinnati Bengals            $80,641,237

Tennessee Titans             $92,739,765

Washington Redskins     $94,351,284

Kansas City Chiefs            $95,844,195

Tampa Bay Buccaneers  $98,899,458

Atlanta Falcons                 $100,227,174

Denver Broncos                $101,389,121

New England Patriots     $101,827,381

Chicago Bears                    $101,887,741

San Francisco 49ers         $102,938,980

Cleveland Browns            $103,789,162

WORKING ON A BUDGET

Teams that aren’t up against the cap, but need to make smart moves to avoid trimming a ton of players and salaries.

Jacksonville Jaguars        $107,270,274

Buffalo Bills                         $108,426,522

Seattle Seahawks              $111,742,430

San Diego Chargers         $111,960,165

New Orleans Saints         $113,358,069

Philadelphia Eagles          $113,964,694

Baltimore Ravens             $115,670,281

Minnesota Vikings           $116,078,422

Houston Texans                 $116,306,676

Miami Dolphins                 $116,636,173

Indianapolis Colts             $116,773,288

Green Bay Packers            $118,001,169

Arizona Cardinals             $118,787,639

TIGHTENING THE BELT

Teams that will be at, or over the projected salary cap once they’ve signed the rookie class. These teams must purge their roster moving forward. The higher the cap number, the more drastic the cut backs need to be.

St. Louis Rams                   $120,982,904

Detroit Lions                      $122,760,121

New York Giants              $124,735,807

New York Jets                   $128,092,733

Dallas Cowboys                 $128,910,735

Carolina Panthers            $129,962,768

Oakland Raiders               $140,861,316

Pittsburgh Steelers         $149,885,537

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : that one hurts....ugh
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

Imagine, we could of had Gronk, Graham and Hernandez in the same draft!!  Losing Gronk in the SB wouldn't have been that big a deal if we had Jimmy Graham but then neither guy would have put up their gaudy numbers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : I think you are right in that Foster would probably be the better choice to give us a more balanced attack.  I'm not so sure to sign either of these guys would be that expensive.  Keep in mind, both players would only get a 1 year deal worth less than $3MM if they took the RFA contract.  If we were to offer a 4 year, $30MM deal and guarantee $20MM they would be in a whole lot better place getting nearly 10 X the money vs. risk a career ending injury. As far as the D goes, we would still have enough cap to sign 2 quality players depending on other moves we could make, plus still have 3 of the top 63 draft picks.  For instance, if we released Matt Light, that would free up $5MM of cap.  Assuming Vollmer is healthy we start him and Solder with Cannon backing up.  We might be able to part ways with Light, let him test the market and perhaps bring him back on a $3MM one year deal or something.  At some point the torch needs to get passed to our #1 pick. Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] Sounds good to me. Having a run game would help the d too, and diminish some of the need there. One piece on D, Foster, and Lloyd would make this team very tough to beat. I'll dream about it......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Hey Faucet, this isn't really related (unless we get Foster), but I was going through some of my old VCR tapes and saw this Fred Taylor touchdown,

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8157328d/Taylor-scores-2nd-TD

Green-Ellis can block! Here's another from the same game,

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81572010/Taylor-TD-run

I don't recall seeing Benny playing fullback since but he looked good in those two highlights. I can invision him doing the same thing next year blocking for Vereen or some other speedster.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Faucet, this isn't really related (unless we get Foster), but I was going through some of my old VCR tapes and saw this Fred Taylor touchdown, http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8157328d/Taylor-scores-2nd-TD Green-Ellis can block! Here's another from the same game, http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81572010/Taylor-TD-run I don't recall seeing Benny playing fullback since but he looked good in those two highlights. I can invision him doing the same thing next year blocking for Vereen or some other speedster.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]
    That's right.  I forgot we used Benny as a lead back for awhile before he got his chance. 

Oh, it sure is nice to dream about having a guy like Foster here pounding the rock and moving the chains and actually running out the clock instead of going 3 and out late in the game trying to protect a slim lead with a horrible defense.  But, it will only remain a dream...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]That's right.  I forgot we used Benny as a lead back for awhile before he got his chance.  Oh, it sure is nice to dream about having a guy like Foster here pounding the rock and moving the chains and actually running out the clock instead of going 3 and out late in the game trying to protect a slim lead with a horrible defense.  But, it will only remain a dream...
    It is fun to dream. Benny probably wouldn't settle for fullback wages next year anyway, especially after having some success as a lead back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

this is obviously just in in retrospect now, but i really think they should have used ridley in the super bowl...big mistake not letting him play, in my opinion

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : I think you are right in that Foster would probably be the better choice to give us a more balanced attack.  I'm not so sure to sign either of these guys would be that expensive.  Keep in mind, both players would only get a 1 year deal worth less than $3MM if they took the RFA contract.  If we were to offer a 4 year, $30MM deal and guarantee $20MM they would be in a whole lot better place getting nearly 10 X the money vs. risk a career ending injury. As far as the D goes, we would still have enough cap to sign 2 quality players depending on other moves we could make, plus still have 3 of the top 63 draft picks.  For instance, if we released Matt Light, that would free up $5MM of cap.  Assuming Vollmer is healthy we start him and Solder with Cannon backing up.  We might be able to part ways with Light, let him test the market and perhaps bring him back on a $3MM one year deal or something.  At some point the torch needs to get passed to our #1 pick.

i agree with the pickup of arian foster from houston and Konz in the draft with lloyd in FA our offense would be amazing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : Brady would have to be able to throw the deep ball better then he has for the last 3 seasons if we were to appropriately use 60 minutes talent. This offense would be unstoppable if it had/used a real run game. Then teams would never know what was coming. When a defense is forced to account for a run game Brady is unstoppable. When a  defense knows we will pass 2.5 or 3-1 then we become much easier to defend against....like any offense. 5,235 passing yards and 39 tds tell me we don't need Mike Wallace as much as we need to utilize a damn run game.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Fine, then sign Marshawn Lynch - because you can't have an undrafted free agent running the ball who has 47 runners with a better average per carry and 28 with more rushing yards. I'm sure Benny is the best feel good story/nice guy in the history of the NFL, but when you can't make one single cut back into wide open running lanes on off tackle (left) runs...you shouldn't be out there.

Maybe Ridley is the answer, maybe it's Vareen, but it sure the hell can't be Benny. There was a reason why a coach that loves to run the football didn't run it - it's because we couldn't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : i agree with the pickup of arian foster from houston and Konz in the draft with lloyd in FA our offense would be amazing!
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]
    OMG Nate, that would be amazing!!  Konz is a beast, put him in there between 2 Pro Bowl guards and add Foster to the mix would be sick.  Imagine being able to run and pick up 6-7-8 yards at a clip at will?  Having Foster would really make teams respect the play action too.  It would allow us to control the clock which is something we don't do very often.  I think our TOP was less than 30.

One question, do we bring back Super Freak for one year assuming he can behave himself?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : OMG Nate, that would be amazing!!  Konz is a beast, put him in there between 2 Pro Bowl guards and add Foster to the mix would be sick.  Imagine being able to run and pick up 6-7-8 yards at a clip at will?  Having Foster would really make teams respect the play action too.  It would allow us to control the clock which is something we don't do very often.  I think our TOP was less than 30. One question, do we bring back Super Freak for one year assuming he can behave himself?

i am for the pats signing any of these receivers after they re-sign welker......vincent jackson, brandon lloyd, reggie wayne, dwyane bowe, randy moss, colston

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : Do you need someone to stretch the field vertically or will horizontally work too though? Lets face it Lloyd might not stretch the field vertically but leaving him 1v1 on the outside with no S help over top is very dangerous. Heck how many times has he broken out long plays being dbl'd on the outside in 10' and 11'? The whole idea of stretching the field is to pull a defender from the middle and having a S lean towards the sideline to dbl up Lloyd on the outside can actually be more affective then having one deep down field. For one it does give Hern and Gronk extra space to work with, but for 2 a S has to play closer to the line and the sideline so if Hern cuts a seem there isn't a S playing deep to grab the angle. It's like a PA affect but where the S comes up and towards the sideline instead of just up in the box. Don't discount what affect stretching the field horizontally over vertically
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Brady struggles downfield now (see Slater v, BALT, Gronk v. NYG). It's not his game anymore and their offense reflects his strengths....accuracy underneath and YAC. He just passed for 5,000+ yards and we need a deep threat?

This teams needs help on the other side of the ball, not the offense. No "3 and outs." No defensive playmakers when one was sorely needed. Their defensove talent just isn't very good outside of Wilfork.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : Brady would have to be able to throw the deep ball better then he has for the last 3 seasons if we were to appropriately use 60 minutes talent. This offense would be unstoppable if it had/used a real run game. Then teams would never know what was coming. When a defense is forced to account for a run game Brady is unstoppable. When a  defense knows we will pass 2.5 or 3-1 then we become much easier to defend against....like any offense. 5,235 passing yards and 39 tds tell me we don't need Mike Wallace as much as we need to utilize a damn run game.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

CHAMP..... You are spot on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

So we go for Foster instead of Wallace.  CIN is so cheap, they'll probably not even get in the game.  But Houston will probably tag Foster and not risk losing him.  They'll have to clear some cap to do it and probably will take a step back this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Looks like neither player will get tagged so they could be available for a first round pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : Brady struggles downfield now (see Slater v, BALT, Gronk v. NYG). It's not his game anymore and their offense reflects his strengths....accuracy underneath and YAC. He just passed for 5,000+ yards and we need a deep threat? This teams needs help on the other side of the ball, not the offense. No "3 and outs." No defensive playmakers when one was sorely needed. Their defensove talent just isn't very good outside of Wilfork.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that. When was the last time Brady threw it deep without underthrowing it? Like 2007 maybe? They need to use the running game more to open up the passing game and focus on bringing in some help on defense. I'd rather they get a safety and a stud on the DL. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Hey faucet, cant the steelers just franchise tag Wallace?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Hey faucet, cant the steelers just franchise tag Wallace?
    Posted by Ender587[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't make much sense for them to do so. The franchise tag guarantees a $9.3mil salary and teams can still sign them using a 1st unless they use the exclusive tag which pays more I believe. If they use the 1st round tender on Wallace then teams still have to pay that 1st and Pit can match the offer. Since the poison pill was removed and Pit wants to retain Wallace long term it could actually cost less to match an offer from another team then it would be to put the tag on him

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Hey faucet, cant the steelers just franchise tag Wallace?
    Posted by Ender587[/QUOTE]
    Yes, but the cost to franchise tag a WR is $9.4MM.  Right now PIT is over the cap by $12MM.  They plan to restructure Big Ben and Troy and Hines Ward has offered but the team hasn't responded.  Still they have a long way to go before they can free up another $9MM to tag Wallace.  Assuming Wallace signs the tag, that money is 100% guaranteed and the Steelers must have the cap space which they don't today. 

I watched a couple of NFL shows last night and the feeling is the Steelers can't afford to tag Wallace, instead they will restrict him at the first round level since they only need $2.7MM for that.  The thinking is the Steelers would take the 1st round pick happily because they need to lower their cap.  The rookie cap means pick 31 would only cost about $1.1MM vs. the $2.7MM so they would lose Wallace but be able to draft a young inexpensive player.

I chronicled how old PIT is getting, 2nd oldest in the NFL, and how many players they are likely to lose, especially on defense.  PIT needs to start rebuilding now.

Word out of Houston is they won't tag Foster either and will restrict him.  They are hoping they can work out a deal to keep Mario and they would need all the cap space they can find.  If they can't sign Williams, the "experts" from the show I watched think the Patriots would be in play for Mario Williams since BB still hasn't found a replacement for Seymour.  I tend to agree.  The Pats have the money to sign Williams and Foster.

This same show felt if any NFL team would give Moss another try it would be the Patriots.  The played the clip of Chris Carter calling Moss a quitter and Moss's response but the thinking is, Moss was huge for NE in 2007 and if they get him on a 1-year inexpensive deal where they can cut him, it could happen.  Assuming there is merit to Moss coming back, we wouldn't need Wallace.  In which case, I would go after Foster. 

I would give pick 31 up quicker than Obama would raise taxes on the rich to get Foster for essentially a 2nd round pick.  People tend to argue that we need more help on defense.  While that is true, a solid running game helps keep your defense off the field and resting.  It allows us to control a game and run out the clock.  I don't want to see Brady dropping back 40 times a game.  We need to start managing Brady as he hits 35.  A balanced attack with Foster sets up the play action and takes a lot of the pressure off Brady.

Imagine if we got Foster, Mario Williams and Randy Moss before the draft?  We could still add Brandon Lloyd to replace Branch.  The only missing piece is a solid CB and FS.  For that I would go after Brandon Carr and move McCourty to FS.

We now have pick 27, 48, 63 and 95 plus a late 4th to address other needs.  Love is an exclusive rights F/A so he isn't going anywhere.  We bring back Connolly, Welker, Anderson and Slater.  We cut Matt Light to help pay for Foster and our only need is OLB and we have Anderson to get started.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : It wouldn't make much sense for them to do so. The franchise tag guarantees a $9.3mil salary and teams can still sign them using a 1st unless they use the exclusive tag which pays more I believe. If they use the 1st round tender on Wallace then teams still have to pay that 1st and Pit can match the offer. Since the poison pill was removed and Pit wants to retain Wallace long term it could actually cost less to match an offer from another team then it would be to put the tag on him
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    Correct.  So the Patriots could offer Wallace or Foster a reasonable $6MM contract in terms of cap charge.  For either team to match, they have to make other cuts meaning there is no way HOU can keep Mario Williams and PIT would have to cut several more players to match.  If either team matches, we lose nothing and we forced either team into a bigger cap problem.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Be nice if we could pry Steven Jackson away. That would eliminate the need for a deep threat. I think we need a pass rush more then O. With light for another year, Mankins locked down, Cannon, vollmer and Solder all we need to look at is center. Depth anyway.

Shame Hanesworth didnt work out. I hope he's bitter he missed the big show.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Foster to CIN; Wallace to NE? : Correct.  So the Patriots could offer Wallace or Foster a reasonable $6MM contract in terms of cap charge.  For either team to match, they have to make other cuts meaning there is no way HOU can keep Mario Williams and PIT would have to cut several more players to match.  If either team matches, we lose nothing and we forced either team into a bigger cap problem.

6mil isn't going to get either player unless it's a backloaded deal. Don't forget the player has say on whether they sign or not. Both Wallace and Foster are going to be looking for top 3 contract money given production so a 6mil cap hit means you are backloading a ton of cash. Nether player is going to want no-guaranteed backloaded deals so you'll have to give them some type of reassurance that they won't be dumped once the contract gets upped in cash. Think Holmes contract where if they cut him before a certain date this year he gets 7mil and if they didn't cut him then his 2012 contract gets guaranteed and if they don't cut him the 3rd day after the start of the regular season half of his 2013 contract gets guaranteed. Those types of deals handcuff teams (esp teams who pride themselves on cap management). Look what it's doing to the Jets right now between Sanchez's, Holmes, Cro's, and Revis's contracts.

Another team with a ton of cap space to spend would be the better option to take a chance on him. Cinn would be a good landing spot. Not a high pick and they have the cap space to sign him long term. You have Green on one side and Wallace on the other with that young QB and you have a team. They have the cap space and the extra 1st and it also hurts a divisional opponent. Cinn is the most logical spot for Wallace and the Browns the most logical spot for Foster