Fumble or throw?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rdrury. Show rdrury's posts

Fumble or throw?

Did anyone else think that when Shonn Greene failed to make the first down on 4th and short in the second quarter, his "fumble" was really a toss downfield?  At that point, the fumble was a win-win for the Jets.  Green had already been stopped short of the first down.  Either they recover it far enough downfield to get a first down, or they push the Patriots taking over on downs back deeper into their own territory.  Of course, Brady to Vareen negated all that, but it sure looked like a toss to me.  Anyone else?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Fumble or throw?

In response to rdrury's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did anyone else think that when Shonn Greene failed to make the first down on 4th and short in the second quarter, his "fumble" was really a toss downfield?  At that point, the fumble was a win-win for the Jets.  Green had already been stopped short of the first down.  Either they recover it far enough downfield to get a first down, or they push the Patriots taking over on downs back deeper into their own territory.  Of course, Brady to Vareen negated all that, but it sure looked like a toss to me.  Anyone else?

[/QUOTE]

I thought that at first too, but I think if you watch closely, you can see someone knock the ball out of his hand. I think it was Spikes, not sure.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

the ball cannot be advanced on a fumble.  if a jet had recovered, the ball would have been spotted where the fumble occured.  that rule was put in place a while back thanks to a mr. elway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Spikes is becoming rather omnipresent back there. Seems to make more plays every week.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Spikes made a great play. It's too bad he didn't knock it higher so that one of his teammates could have caught it in stride and scored. We could've used the points. :o)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Yes and like stated above there was a good view of Spikes ripping the ball out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to seymonster's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the ball cannot be advanced on a fumble.  if a jet had recovered, the ball would have been spotted where the fumble occured.  that rule was put in place a while back thanks to a mr. elway.

[/QUOTE]

Actually I belive the rule was put in due to a play by the Raiders back in the 70s. With time running out and the game on the line the Raiders intentionally fumbled the ball forward and continued to force the ball forward till they fell on it in the endzone for the winning score.

I believe Stabler (QB) and Casper (TE) were both involved on the play.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Actually I belive the rule was put in due to a play by the Raiders back in the 70s. With time running out and the game on the line the Raiders intentionally fumbled the ball forward and continued to force the ball forward till they fell on it in the endzone for the winning score. I believe Stabler (QB) and Casper (TE) were both involved on the play.

The Holy Roller lol
    http://prod.www.raiders.clubs.nfl.com/media-vault/videos/The-Holy-Roller/7e2c18ca-0ee1-4777-9798-265bfa0d11f8

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

That rule only applies in the final 2 mins of a half or on 4th down.  Otherwise the fumble may be recovered, but not advanced, by the fumbling team at the spot of the recovery.  If the player that fumbled recovers his own loose ball, he may advance it

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In response to seymonster's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought the rule was put in place due to the Raiders' Holy Roller play back in the late 70s.

How did Elway bring it about?

Edit:  Oh, I see this was already addressed above.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Great video pull digger.

Stabler's arm going forward, that would of been an INC pass in todays game (shuffle pass)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seymonster. Show seymonster's posts

the elway play was in one of their playoff runs, i forget which game.  elway came out on a bootleg and attempted to run it in for a TD.  he was stopped, but fumbled forward, directly to ed mcaffrey who picked it up for the score.  iirc the following year the rule changed.  not sure what part was covered by the previous holy roller play and what part changed at that particular time, but there was a huge stink, and, living in denver at the time, a lot of local butthurt.