Gang Green looking for more inspiration!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Gang Green looking for more inspiration!

Jets relish visit from recovering ex-Rutgers player LeGrand

• By Associated Press
    More Columns >

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Eric LeGrand found a cool, shady spot under a big tree on the www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkjets/profile?team=NYJ">New York Jets' practice field and smiled.

There was Plaxico Burress going out for passes. www.nfl.com/players/darrellerevis/profile?id=REV515344" class="player-flyout">Darrelle Revis was shutting down every receiver who came his way. www.nfl.com/players/ladainiantomlinson/profile?id=TOM683150" class="player-flyout">LaDainian Tomlinson was bouncing through the line with the football.

"I had never gotten the opportunity to come out here before, and I'm just enjoying it," LeGrand said Thursday. "These are stars, like you see Plaxico over there and Revis over there. I'm just like, 'Wow.' "

Watch preseason games LIVE online in HD. Get the Back to Football special at NFL.com/preseasonlive.

The former Rutgers football player, still in a motorized wheelchair while he recovers from a serious spinal injury, was a guest at training camp and watched the entire 2½-hour practice with some friends and family. Then, at the end, he was invited to be part of the team huddle and was presented with a green Jets No. 52 jersey -- his old number at Rutgers -- with his name sewn across the back.

For a moment, at least, LeGrand was back on the field and one of the guys again.

"Inspirational," Jets linebacker www.nfl.com/players/bartscott/profile?id=SCO100498" class="player-flyout">Bart Scott said of LeGrand. "He's been so strong through the process. I think he's embraced it and took the challenge on, and I think he should be an inspiration to a lot of people."

Scott has been selling "Can't Wait!" T-shirts -- the phrase made famous after a playoff win in New England -- on his www.cantwait57.com/" target="_blank">personal website with proceeds going to the Eric LeGrand Patriot Saint Foundation. LeGrand was wearing a green one at practice, and Scott expects to present him with a check in the next week or so.

"It means a lot," said LeGrand, who met Scott for the first time before practice. "I truly appreciate it."

LeGrand was paralyzed from the neck down while making a tackle on a kickoff return against Army last October at New Meadowlands Stadium. He was told then he likely would never walk again.

Slowly, LeGrand is working to beat those odds. He said the longest he has been able to stand was 45 minutes recently, and he's averaging about 30 to 35 minutes on his feet per hour.

"Everything's going well right now," LeGrand said.

He needs to continue to be able to stand for at least a half-hour at a time so he can start using a special treadmill that he said "basically retrain your legs to walk again." His progress has been an inspiration to so many others who have either had similar injuries or know someone who has. LeGrand constantly hears from those people, and it helps him keep trying to get better.

"It's really tremendous," LeGrand said. "I don't even know how to put it into words. I would never have thought this. It's unfortunate I got hurt, but also fortunate at the same time to be able to inspire a bunch of people like I've been able to do. It's truly a blessing. It's very humbling."

Jets linebacker www.nfl.com/players/jamaalwesterman/profile?id=WES656246" class="player-flyout">Jamaal Westerman was a former Rutgers teammate of LeGrand's and helped set up the visit to training camp. Westerman visited LeGrand several times when the injury first occurred and has kept in touch with his friend through the entire process.

"We all believe that he's going to walk one day and lead us out of the tunnel," Westerman said. "With life comes adversity, ups and downs. But it's how you handle it, and he handles it with a smile every day even though it's not easy. I know that he handled his rehab with a smile and is working hard at it. One day, he's going to walk."

LeGrand believes that, too. And he said he's not bitter about his situation. In fact, he doesn't support the NFL's rule change on kickoffs to help prevent injuries.

"I don't think anybody should change the kickoff (rule)," he said. "My injury is like one in every 5 million. It was just an unfortunate thing, but I believe it happened for a reason. I know the changes are going to hurt a lot of the kick returners because a lot of people make their money off of that. I don't agree with it, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do, I guess."

LeGrand grew up rooting for the www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN">Denver Broncos and acknowledged he didn't like Tomlinson then, since he was a member of the AFC West rival www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/profile?team=SD">San Diego Chargers.

"But finally getting to meet him," LeGrand said with a big smile, "I was star struck."

LeGrand plans to be on the sideline of every Rutgers home game this season, and he wants to attend as many road games as possible. And he'll keep believing -- along with his friends and former teammates -- the entire way.

"It's the only way to go through life, man," LeGrand said. "You can't get mad because things happen. The only way to get better is to be positive and fight through it because if you're negative, then you're just going to go right down the drain. That's the only way I know how to do it is just fight through it."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Re: Gang Green looking for more inspiration!

Do they really need this?Iam starting to think its just to get headlines had dennis bird last year  and now this guy.Its pretty sad using this guys as PR stunts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I don't get your problem with this. They did something nice for a guy who suffered a brutal injury. Bart Scott is one of my most hated players but its commendable that he's donating all the proceeds from his tshirts to this kids foundation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

I'm not a fan of how much Rex Ryan talks, but that being said, I don't have a problem with how the Jets organization is run.  Guys seem to like to play there and Ryan has really ingrained a great team spirit.  There are many other things in life way more important than football and team loyalty.  I kind of understand your point on how some of these things might come off as PR, but I'd give the organization and players the benefit of the doubt and commend them for things like this.  There's way too much negativity in the world, might as well embrace some positive things that these players and teams do.  I'm not a peace loving hippy, but the hate can be saved for Sundays between the lines.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

J-E-T-S S-U-C-K S-U-C-K S-U-C-K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Re: Gang Green looking for more inspiration!:
    [QUOTE]I know my skill set and I know I'm getting better," he said. " Once we win a Super Bowl , then maybe I'll have an opinion on that, but until then, we're just trying to win games."  - M. Sanchez To me, this summarizes why they won't win a SB. This kind of entitlment and arrogance will not allow them to win a SB. They believe they are owed a SB.   It's fine to believe that in your lockeroom, but to come out an announce it, and basically, on a daily basis give every opponent a reason to crush your skull on Sundays, I cannot figure out why you would state these things publicly. Unreal.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

i read this ... he is basically saying he is as good as brady too... like goober did... at least goober had the b*lls to actually say it...

which ne's new d and their pi-ss poor offensive line.... i can t wait till we put a real bad beatdown on that tool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

to me when the coach continually has to provide gimmicky motivational techniques ... he realizes his team aint good enough to do it on their ability and he has to get them to be over achievers....

their defense and luck has gotten them to where they were in the tournament..
    just dont see that happening for 3 consecutive years.. they will come back to the pack...because they really arent a top echelon team...

if it werent for the stupid colts they wouldnt have even been there the year before last

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

You're a Jets fan. Leave.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gang Green looking for more inspiration! : You know, when you post things like that it just motivates me to really dig deep and try a little harder, read old posts, brush up on my football stats.  Why would you give me extra incentive to tell you how much of an idiot you are?
    Posted by McCheaters[/QUOTE]

Hey, how did you like that pass rush that the Pats put on full display last night? Pretty awesome huh?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gang Green looking for more inspiration! : You know, when you post things like that it just motivates me to really dig deep and try a little harder, read old posts, brush up on my football stats.  Why would you give me extra incentive to tell you how much of an idiot you are?

If that's how you'd like to spend your time, posting on a Patriots message-board and devoting multiple hours of your life to aforementioned message board (as a Jets fan)... be my guest.

But hey, if you enjoy being a confrontational person, go ahead. To each their own, right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

the jets are surely pathetic!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gang Green looking for more inspiration! : It was the best preseason pass rush I have ever seen.  Just awesome!

Okay. So how does it feel to realize that the only way to watch a Jets Superbowl Championship is through the courtesy of NFL films?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Because every time you "try a little harder", you end up sounding even dumber.

You're one of the only pseudo-trolls out there who has hit rock bottom, but continues to dig. 

Your team is in serious trouble this season if they think they can win via their mouths.  They can't.  Didn't work last year, or the year before that. Every team in this league goes into their season brimming with confidence, but Rex is the only coach in league history who has publicly predicted a SB win for three consecutive years.

The media won't be giving him another free pass when the wheels fall off the Jets' bandwagon this year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gang Green looking for more inspiration! : It was the best preseason pass rush I have ever seen.  Just awesome!

I know it's pre season, but you got to think Rex has watched this and thought, uh oh - they added edge pressure players without having to even draft or pay one? How the hell did they do that? Add in the fact that they're pretty darn solid up the middle (even without a Haynesworth)...good corners...offense is loaded...best QB...best coach. This cannot be very comforting to see. A lot can happen (and does) throughout a season, but man we do look unusually loaded. I've watched a lot of football and baring a boat load of major injuries...we are going to be really solid in a lot of areas. Usually Bill can beat a teams 1's with number 2's/3's players...he won't have to do that this season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Lets see who is on this board by week 6.   Dig deep and stat up McCheaters, your gonna need it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]  Do they really need this?Iam starting to think its just to get headlines had dennis bird last year  and now this guy.Its pretty sad using this guys as PR stunts.
    Posted by lippa[/QUOTE]

It's called being a human beings and caring for our own mankind.  Very good story, very good thing for the Jets to do for someone and in return puts life into perspective for those of us who are fortunate to be able to live life to the fullest with our good health.

Please don't think there is a secret motive behind every thing you see or read.  Is it really a shocker to think that the Jets organization actually has a good heart and cares about life off the football field?  If so then your taking this football rivalry a bit too far.

Terrible thread, imo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Serioulsy Jets McCheaters why are you here?  Did your own kind run you off their board because of the idiotic posts you make?  You can argue all you want, you can point out the Jets beat the Pats last year 2 games to 1, you can argue whatever makes that little pea sized brain of yours happy, it just makes you look foolish.  Why does it make you look foolish?  Let me explain...

At the end of the day the goal is to win the super bowl!  Last I looked the Jets have not done that since 1969, the one and only time they ever won a SB, Rex Ryan was 7 years old when this happened and none of the current players on either the Jets or Patriots were even born yet.  That is a very long time ago!! 

Since that time the Patriots have won 3 super bowls with Tom Brady, who by the way has 2 SB MVP's.  Oh, and by the way TFB is still playing and looking awesome the past several years (won the league MVP last season via first ever unanimous vote in case you missed it because you had your head burried in one of Rex's fat rolls or somewhere else).  Oh, and BB is still coaching the Patriots, who by the way was the coach when the Patriots won the 3 SB's with TFB! 

Anyways, the words that come out of your less then mighty keyboard means absolutly nothing until Rex Ryan delivers on the promise he has made every season for the past 3 seasons.  Jets fans are starting to doubt him and for good reason, the jets look like less of a team this season then the past couple seasons.

So as you see, you really don't have a leg to stand on in any of your arguments that you make here.  Your points are meaningless!  You are just taking up space here, thinking that somehow, someway your arguing is going to will the jets to a SB season.  Sorry to rain on your parade but it isn't going to happen again this year.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

i bet riding with the king and mccheaters are the same person. so messed up in the head that he (or she) enjoys arguing with themself on multiple threads on this site, pretty much on a daily basis. btw if youre not the same person riding with the king is a boss and the jets suck. white power.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.