Gaspar article this morning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Gaspar article this morning

I dont understand the Gaspar article this morning other than it being "filler" due to lack of anything else to write about. Can someone explain what is the relevance of the personel decisions that have been made?
     Who cares about a ranking or score or hits and misses in the draft or free agency?
    The bottom line is wins vs losses...right?
    What team has been better in wins vs losses this decade??
    The draft, free agency signings, coaching replacements are all done with wins and losses in mind...Gaspar should have also said that making Mangini the D Co-ord was a mistake because he left after 1 year...or the promotion of McDaniels was a mistake because he left after 2 years...
    The bottom line is that team has won VERY consistently every year, without a break the bank payroll (hello Redskins/Jets) and is positioned with enough youth and draft maneuverability to compete at the highest level for the next 4-7 years.
    I would think an article APPLAUDING BB for cutting ties with players that are not working out, or sitting players that are #2 draft choices or high priced free agents would make a more compelling article...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Gaspar article this morning

Well I do agree with most of what you said I do have to disagree on a couple things.

1st -Gaspar is a writter who's main job is to attract readers and we as fans love to breakdown picks, fa's, and personal decisions so it's only natural that a writter does too. What better way to strike up conversation with people then give your opinion on personal matters

2nd - Ranking draft picks and FA signings is kind of important and fun for fans. 1 great example is Oak. Look how they have spent their FA money and who they have drafted. With as many high picks as they have had they should be showing signs of improvement but no. While on the other hand teams like the Colts, Pats, and Steelers who continue to have strong draft choices tend to be towards the top of the league every year.

In the end it does come down to who wins and who loses and what writters and fans think is kinda meaningless but without these fillers as you put it then it wouldn't be as much fun to wait a full week before the next game

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats Eng
    You are reinforcing my point. Oakland has had very high draft choices. The Colts, Pats and Steelers have not. Does that prove that draft choices and free agent signings are only a piece of the pie in molding a consistently winning football team?
    Do you care if Wheatley is active or inactive? Do you care how much they paid AD? No, of course not...you care if the Pats win or lose.
    We have not seen too much losing over the past 9 years in spite of the supposed inferior personel decisions that were made.
    Btw I see 6 2009 draft choices on the roster contributing every Sunday(Butler, Chung,Pryor,Ingram,Edelman, Vollmer) with the potential that Brace will be able to get on the field down the road . I also see Hoyer on the team.
    Not too mention free agent signings Guyton, Mcgowen playing every week...and BJGE getting on the field last week....not to shabby

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I usually like Gasper’s take on things.  He is doing well stepping in as the main Pats guy in place of Mike Reiss, who I really liked to read.   But I am really tired of these stories rehashing the Pats hits and misses in the draft and free agency.  This team had a core group of veterans in place for half a decade and there really weren’t many roster slots at times.   Most guys couldn’t overtake the guys in front of them, plain and simple.  I think they went for a few high risk high reward guys during their peak years too.  (I recall the rap on Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson – both thought to have immense physical talent but questionable work habits).  So the Pats took a few chances here or there and missed, sometimes badly.  I guarantee most teams perform similarly.   The draft is a c r a p shoot at worst and an inexact science at best, and free agents sometimes don’t pan out.  Management has to restock the roster on the run every year after a deep playoff run and the Pats have been contenders for almost a decade.  The results on the field are all that matter to me.  The rest is nitpicking and second guessing with the benefit of hindsight.       

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

rkarp you missed my point. Do I care if people are inactive or how much they play a player vs production. Not really if they are winning but when you create a filler story like this it is the thing you bring up because it is what fans generally dicuss (ie why are we paying player X to sit on the bench, or what ever happen to so-n-so).

I personally didn't like the article that much but it did give me something to read and it perked your interest enough to make a post about it hence Gaspar did his job. If you had zero interest in what he said you would have said nothing so sit back and enjoy the filler pieces or otherwise don't. But from you mentioning the 09 draft class means you do have some kind of vested interest in draft picks regardless of the fact you had nothing to do with them, hence ranking a certian draft or FA class sparks debate and fun for the fan.

Don't forget he's a writter so just saying that the Pats win or lose every week leads to a dull and eventually forgotten collumn but talk about a debate filled issue and there's always readers (example the espn writters who bagged on BB after spygate and the amount of Pats fans who read the trash even though they knew it was trash)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

".....but if you keep cutting your losses, eventually you’ve got nothing left to cut and no one left to blame but yourself..."

What in the world does that mean?

I am begging you, Boston Globe, either get Mike Reiss back at ANY cost or send this high-school journalist to college.  His writing is insipid, dramatic, and pretty much devoid of provocative thought above that comprehended by a 9th-grader.

It hurts to read his amateur efforts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am looking for the lead football writer at a major publication such is the Globe to have a better understanding of how the Pat's view the draft, FA signings and the inactive list. If this is the lead story at the Globe, it seems to me someone is missing the boat. Why not lead with how Gaspar missed entirely the situation with TBC and Alexander. Isn't that better than filler to pique our interest?
    I would have expected an article, ESPECIALLY this morning, PRAISING BB on how he maneuvered cutting TBC and Alexander and then resigning them without exposing them to waivers. Why not PRIASE BB on how he sits a player that is under performing, or not giving the team the best chance to win regardless of salary or draft position...why not PRAISE BB that 6 rookies are contributing every Sunday..
    To say "roster miscues rest with Belichick" strikes me as ridiculous when one looks at the win/loss record this DECADE...the average age of the team...its financial and draft maneuverability in the coming years. 
    Of course I value the draft/players, it is a piece of the puzzle in formulating the team.  But to say "miscues" is ignoring the bottom line of wins and losses.
    I expected more from the Globe

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

My comment on the article, replete with grammatical errors, is on page four of the comments.

I have liked some of Gaspar's stuff before this. (Didn't he do a good break down of the roster moves yesterday?) But as a person trained in journalism myself, this thing grades an "F".  It looks like he was put up to it by an editor or something.  Very sloppy, very contradictory, very convoluted, very unfair.

There may be other things on which he can knock BB, but not the roster moves. 

Chris, I hope you are reading those comments by the readers.  Should be humbling, like you meant your piece on BB to be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

In Response to Re: Gaspar article this morning:
    [QUOTE]".....but if you keep cutting your losses, eventually you’ve got nothing left to cut and no one left to blame but yourself..."

What in the world does that mean? I am begging you, Boston Globe, either get Mike Reiss back at ANY cost or send this high-school journalist to college.  His writing is insipid, dramatic, and pretty much devoid of provocative thought above that comprehended by a 9th-grader. It hurts to read his amateur efforts.
    Posted by Jaxxon[/QUOTE]

I agree, when i read that last sentence, i said to myself '' what a dumbazz ''.

The globe sportswriters continue to print kindergarten rubbish.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

There is nothing worse than a snot nose kid critizing a genius!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from codebreaker. Show codebreaker's posts

I disagree with most posters here. Granted, this wasn't the best article ever, but Gasper knows his stuff. I find him much more entertaining and informative than most. Frankly, I could do without, for example, Reiss's endless lists of formation counts. Talk about filler. He also stuck too closely (for me) to some imagined middle ground, avoiding too much criticism, and using very carefully worded praise that wasn't too effusive. He was too careful and bland for my tastes.

At the very least, this article shows that Gasper isn't afraid to criticize BB and/or the Pats. I appreciate that. He's also very good on camera, and I watch his clips regularly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Well i dont mind that, but you need to note that drafting is not exact science... i mean look at top 10 draft picks who are locks, even by the so called "experts" can become busts... Theres alot more than what you can evaluate, and sometimes it comes down to the player and things like injuries, and other situations that cant be controlled by the team...
    &
    To go off point... Felger is really annoying on 98.5. Always talking about the patriots being cheap... Man is he moronic or what!!!
    Today he kept going on and on about the pats being 30th team in the league in 2007 in terms of payroll which he got from the USA TODAY..
    Then he says pats cheaped out, didnt sign a corner back and didnt make the playoffs because of it... 
    SO FELGER.. lets just throw out the little minor thing that happened with the best player in the NFL getting injured in game 1...
    I guess bill belichick should have assumed that tom brady was gonna get injured and should have boosted up his D before the season started and overpaid for asante who he didnt think was a good contract... yep..

This really bugs me, i dont understand the point about the pats being cheap?? THey pay for guys who they think are worth it, AD, Moss, Welker, Bodden/Springs this year... I honestly think they trade down in draft because the chances of missing in the 1st round are probably not that good, as well as getting depth which bill thinks highly off. 

I can almost guarantee that if there was another option like bodden who they liked on the market last year, they would have signed him. They just didnt like what asante brought in terms of talent vs contract. So they figured they could live with it for a yr and try out the rookies, i mean they still had the best offense in the league.. but we all know what happened... and it didnt work out... yes that does happen..
    Anyone feel like punching felger sometimes??