Gasper pre-draft: Have Pats improved their D?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Gasper pre-draft: Have Pats improved their D?

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

We got waaay too many fringe players that play olb/de and not enough pure 3-4 Ends. 

So. NE doesn't run a "3-4" and haven't for a few seasons. Jones also put on another 10 pounds and ha come in looking like 270-5 lb guy. NE doesn't need any more 300 lb guys just as depth ... the questions we are looking at should be ... what can be expected at DE from some combination of Jones and Ninkovich, et al. Not about the rare situations where TK might be lined up at end.  

They run a 43 under-hybrid. It really only requires two big men. You still need a three or four big guys, but Dreaderick, et al, can suffice as depth

Tommy Kelley is an improvemnt in this regard, he is a far better pass rusher than Love. That is enough for me.  

Deaderick, Love, Pryror are all OFF the team. Where you been?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I bumped it more so to look at Armstead maybe getting cut but I appreciate the info on Kelly as well. I agree he is more of a sub rusher than a run defender but I think the Pats play him a lot. They dont have much else. The other option is hybrid fronts. 2-2- 5's, 3-3-5's like last year and the big nickel. IN Nickel I think you see guys subbing in like Collins, Bequette, Benard, Buchanan,etc. So Kelly can rest when they go to subpackages. I mean there is talent there but a guy like J.Jones didnt sign for THAT much. Would have liked to see less quantity and maybe a couple cant miss free agents. We tried for Red Bryant 2 years ago and were too cheap and then got Fanene who fleeced us with his bad knee injury we should have known about. Got to spend there sooner or later but due to Wilforks conctract, they probably have reached thier spending limit with D-lineman..

Gotcha ... BB has loaded up on edge rushers in the draft, so it will be interesting to see how he deploys these guys.

I have to say on TK, I actually think a key area where he can contribute is in sub-packages, getting Wilfork some rest (he's been playing most of those too). 

If NE stays true to form the last few seasons, playing between 35% and 45% of their team snaps from their "Base" where you need two DTs, I see Kelly and Fork garnering close to all opf those snaps, accoutning for a 35% of teams snaps apiece (a 40% team average minus "wind" snaps when they will need a break). 

~5% of the snaps are in short yardage, where they will both likely be used as well ... more or less. 

And if NE stays in "sub" sets with 5 or more DBs for ~55% of the snaps, they have another option than running Wilfork out there each time 3/4 of the time they are "subbed" for a whopping 80% of total snaps.  

Each of them can carry some of that load, picking up some.

Maybe dropping VWs reps to 3/5ths the sub package snaps, so about 70% of total defensive snaps, while giving TK some too 2/5ths for about 55% to 60% of total defensive snaps.   

It's TK's ability as a penetration DT that fascinates me and presents possibilities, so I'd like to see what he looks like in the sub on passing downs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

We got waaay too many fringe players that play olb/de and not enough pure 3-4 Ends. 

So. NE doesn't run a "3-4" and haven't for a few seasons. Jones also put on another 10 pounds and ha come in looking like 270-5 lb guy. NE doesn't need any more 300 lb guys just as depth ... the questions we are looking at should be ... what can be expected at DE from some combination of Jones and Ninkovich, et al. Not about the rare situations where TK might be lined up at end.  

They run a 43 under-hybrid. It really only requires two big men. You still need a three or four big guys, but Dreaderick, et al, can suffice as depth

Tommy Kelley is an improvemnt in this regard, he is a far better pass rusher than Love. That is enough for me.  

Deaderick, Love, Pryror are all OFF the team. Where you been?

I meant Armstead, of course.

I never said Pryor's name, and I only brought up Love to discuss how TK is an upgrade from that. 

I've been pretty vocal that I think all of those guys are JAGs on the forum when they were cut, you can find it in the threads.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I bumped it more so to look at Armstead maybe getting cut but I appreciate the info on Kelly as well. I agree he is more of a sub rusher than a run defender but I think the Pats play him a lot. They dont have much else. The other option is hybrid fronts. 2-2- 5's, 3-3-5's like last year and the big nickel. IN Nickel I think you see guys subbing in like Collins, Bequette, Benard, Buchanan,etc. So Kelly can rest when they go to subpackages. I mean there is talent there but a guy like J.Jones didnt sign for THAT much. Would have liked to see less quantity and maybe a couple cant miss free agents. We tried for Red Bryant 2 years ago and were too cheap and then got Fanene who fleeced us with his bad knee injury we should have known about. Got to spend there sooner or later but due to Wilforks conctract, they probably have reached thier spending limit with D-lineman..

Gotcha ... BB has loaded up on edge rushers in the draft, so it will be interesting to see how he deploys these guys.

I have to say on TK, I actually think a key area where he can contribute is in sub-packages, getting Wilfork some rest (he's been playing most of those too). 

If NE stays true to form the last few seasons, playing between 35% and 45% of their team snaps from their "Base" where you need two DTs, I see Kelly and Fork garnering close to all opf those snaps, accoutning for a 35% of teams snaps apiece (a 40% team average minus "wind" snaps when they will need a break). 

~5% of the snaps are in short yardage, where they will both likely be used as well ... more or less. 

And if NE stays in "sub" sets with 5 or more DBs for ~55% of the snaps, they have another option than running Wilfork out there each time 3/4 of the time they are "subbed" for a whopping 80% of total snaps.  

Maybe dropping VWs reps to 3/5ths the sub package snaps, so about 70% of total defensive snaps, while giving TK some too 2/5ths for about 55% to 60% of total defensive snaps.   

It's TK's ability as a penetration DT that fascinates me and presents possibilities, so I'd like to see what he looks like in the ub on passing downs.

I hear you. They just need to find a way to keep the big fella fresh for the playoffs. How that is done is not concerning as long as they do it. I agree that TK can also help in sub packages but I was hoping we would get that form the hybrid guys so Kelly can be fresh as well. Fortson is gonna need to play some as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

It's TK's ability as a penetration DT that fascinates me and presents possibilities, so I'd like to see what he looks like in the ub on passing downs.

I hear you. They just need to find a way to keep the big fella fresh for the playoffs. How that is done is not concerning as long as they do it. I agree that TK can also help in sub packages but I was hoping we would get that form the hybrid guys so Kelly can be fresh as well. Fortson is gonna need to play some as well.

[/QUOTE]

Corey Grissom is also in the mix. I think he got more reps than Forston did. 

My guess is that Armstead is closer to a lock, it's a depth chart battle. 

With Wilfork? Rolling back his snaps!!!! He's been playing over 80% of the snaps for a few years. Even when he was younger he wasn't playing that load. 

They gotta spell him some.