Gerard Warren Back in Fold.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Gerard Warren Back in Fold.

The Patriots will reportedly re-sign DT Gerard Warren.

Warren was released just prior to the season opener to make room for a third tight end. The 33-year-old will take Landon Cohen's roster spot as a rotational defensive lineman.

Just need Haynesworth to get healthy.........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amun. Show amun's posts

Re: Gerard Warren Back in Fold.

Another fragile veteran. Better than cohen in my book.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

He stayed healthly last year, and now he's in a part-time role....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

A starting caliber vet that knows the D in a position where we have basically no depth right now due to Ellis, Wright, and Haynesworth not 100%

I'll take that any day

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Can he get to the QB?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

In Response to Re: Gerard Warren Back in Fold.:
    [QUOTE]Can he get to the QB?
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

No, but he'll get close enough to make you think he's doing something useful. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gerard Warren Back in Fold. : No, but he'll get close enough to make you think he's doing something useful. 
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

I'll follow your negative post with a positive.

The question was can Gerard get to the QB?

Maybe not.  But he'll definitely clog the middle lanes against the best rushing team in the league, and give good depth on the inside.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amun. Show amun's posts

I think he's a rep for pryor. Need Albert to get healthy also, any word on his status for this week?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gerard Warren Back in Fold. : I'll follow your negative post with a positive. The question was can Gerard get to the QB? Maybe not.  But he'll definitely clog the middle lanes against the best rushing team in the league, and give good depth on the inside.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Good answer. Even without a pass rush and the iffy secondary,  I don't fear the Raider passing game much.  Stop the run and stop the Raiders.

I guess this means that Haynesworth won't be making the trip?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from amun. Show amun's posts

Side note:Pats worked a real FB out today, Lousaka Polite. I kind of like the idea of a FB in front of Ridley.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gerard Warren Back in Fold. : I'll follow your negative post with a positive. The question was can Gerard get to the QB? Maybe not.  But he'll definitely clog the middle lanes against the best rushing team in the league, and give good depth on the inside.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Wozzy just said it best on another post. We have been using 2 DT's on the field with 2 260 pound guys on the outside. Line up Warren,Wilfork and Haynesworth/Ellis and all of a sudden it is a little easier for guys like Cunningham/Nink whoever to get by the 0-line.

It is not about d-line players getting to the Qb It is about d-line players eating up blocks which has not happened yet this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gerard Warren Back in Fold. : Wozzy just said it best on another post. We have been using 2 DT's on the field with 2 260 pound guys on the outside. Line up Warren,Wilfork and Haynesworth/Ellis and all of a sudden it is a little easier for guys like Cunningham/Nink whoever to get by the 0-line. It is not about d-line players getting to the Qb It is about d-line players eating up blocks which has not happened yet this year.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

The only problem with that is that big guys fill up gaps. If the C is helping 1 G and the RB is assisting off the other G with a TE in to help the T that leaves a 1v1 on one T. Now it sounds like Nin, Cunningham, or Anderson on the outside olb edge would have a field day but with all those big bodies up the middle the gaps are completely plugged leaving no room to rush through the gaps. That means any potential rushers would have to take the long way around the pocket to get to a QB. If the QB is accurate and given our secondary you could easily over come an outside rusher by using a simple 3 step drop. There is a reason why 43 D's typically have smaller outside DE's. For one they are quicker but another is that they are in fact smaller to prevent the gaps from being plugged allowing for rushers to penetrate the gaps.

Bigger isn't always better in the pass rush. But, given if the OLB's can set an edge it would be a brick wall to try to run against

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from will71. Show will71's posts

good pick up i was impressed with his work last year he was actually getting good pressure last year and really thought hr played well in the other warrens sted how camoron jorden doing any how since he could have been here? we need a young beast on the dl enough band aids since seymore has been gone no one fears our pass rush

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Excellent

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Glad to have him back  No clue why they signed Cohen over him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michael02127. Show Michael02127's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gerard Warren Back in Fold. : The only problem with that is that big guys fill up gaps. If the C is helping 1 G and the RB is assisting off the other G with a TE in to help the T that leaves a 1v1 on one T. Now it sounds like Nin, Cunningham, or Anderson on the outside olb edge would have a field day but with all those big bodies up the middle the gaps are completely plugged leaving no room to rush through the gaps. That means any potential rushers would have to take the long way around the pocket to get to a QB. If the QB is accurate and given our secondary you could easily over come an outside rusher by using a simple 3 step drop. There is a reason why 43 D's typically have smaller outside DE's. For one they are quicker but another is that they are in fact smaller to prevent the gaps from being plugged allowing for rushers to penetrate the gaps. Bigger isn't always better in the pass rush. But, given if the OLB's can set an edge it would be a brick wall to try to run against
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Great break down.  Mike Wright would be the alternative then if healthy on passing downs

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gerard Warren Back in Fold. : Great break down.  Mike Wright would be the alternative then if healthy on passing downs
    Posted by Michael02127[/QUOTE]

I agree, that was a good analysis.  Never thought of it that way.

As for Wright, I sadly say I think we have seen the last of him in the NFL.  Where would he be 10 years from now if he got yet another concussion?  I liked his playing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Good signing he has experience in this defense and his size will replace the ghost named Albert Haynesworth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gerard Warren Back in Fold. : The only problem with that is that big guys fill up gaps. If the C is helping 1 G and the RB is assisting off the other G with a TE in to help the T that leaves a 1v1 on one T. Now it sounds like Nin, Cunningham, or Anderson on the outside olb edge would have a field day but with all those big bodies up the middle the gaps are completely plugged leaving no room to rush through the gaps. That means any potential rushers would have to take the long way around the pocket to get to a QB. If the QB is accurate and given our secondary you could easily over come an outside rusher by using a simple 3 step drop. There is a reason why 43 D's typically have smaller outside DE's. For one they are quicker but another is that they are in fact smaller to prevent the gaps from being plugged allowing for rushers to penetrate the gaps. Bigger isn't always better in the pass rush. But, given if the OLB's can set an edge it would be a brick wall to try to run against
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

For this reason and that with bigger d-linemen it would be ideal to send "extra rushers" something I think we both want. Around the outside or wherever we can get them. We will still use both 3-4/4-3 as we have always done, but with Warren and hopefully Brace/Deadrick we will have maybe more depth then we've been accustomed to for the past few seasons.

How do you feel the increased use of the 4-3 has worked so far this season? I know we only have a small sample in 3 games but I haven't seen much yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

getzo,
    i dont know why it took this long.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Gerard Warren Back in Fold.:
    [QUOTE]The Patriots will reportedly re-sign DT Gerard Warren. Warren was released just prior to the season opener to make room for a third tight end. The 33-year-old will take Landon Cohen's roster spot as a rotational defensive lineman. Just need Haynesworth to get healthy.........
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

yeah and tell mankins not to break him apart like he just did. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Gerrard Warren played one preseason game against the Bucs I believe where he started alongside Wilfork and Love, we sacked them 3 times and on one play Gerrard tossed a lineman aside and gobbled up the runningback in the backfield.  

He is dominant if used in a rotation and especially next to multiple tackles.

Really we only saw the 3 man front in those two first preseason games where we had mucho sacks, then you didn't see it again except in the red zone in every game since.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gerard Warren Back in Fold. : For this reason and that with bigger d-linemen it would be ideal to send "extra rushers" something I think we both want. Around the outside or wherever we can get them. We will still use both 3-4/4-3 as we have always done, but with Warren and hopefully Brace/Deadrick we will have maybe more depth then we've been accustomed to for the past few seasons. How do you feel the increased use of the 4-3 has worked so far this season? I know we only have a small sample in 3 games but I haven't seen much yet.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

It hasn't been any better the the 34 and actually I think against the run it has been worse.

Now there is a number of factors why this is. Starting off wth inexperience in the 43 with this system. You can tell the LB's look confused as to assignment in zone and gap assignments when line up in the 43 this year. Most notably was Mayo on the goal line where he was meant to plug the B/C gap but bounced inside behind Haynesworth leaving his gap open to walk to an easy TD. Once they get use to their roles and assignments this should work itself out over time.

Against the pass we just aren't aggressive enough. Regardless of 43 or 34 we've been playing sub packages with5 or 6 DB's at a time. What this means is we've only been rushing 3 or 4 players regardless of a 34 or 43 front. BB doesn't trust this secondary to cover so instead of rushing 5 or 6 he doesn't want to give up a big play on a 3-4 yrd stint. A philosophy I hope will change and needs to change.

When we have a larger sample size we'll know more but as of rigt now 34 and 43 look the same to me

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i am very happy to have him back, he was a great addition and solid DL depth.  nice to have him back and a rotation of haynesworth,ellis and warren would be great.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

A solid addition. He produced for us last year and in preseason this year. I expect him to have an immediate contribution this week against the run heavy Raiders.

On a seperate but related note...I understand Warren, VW, Love, Ellis, Haynesworth's responsibiliitie inside include eating up OL to allow DE's and OLB's to get after the QB...the problem is we don't have any dominant DE's nor OLB's to do this. Nink and Cunningham are not good pass rushers. Carter I would say is, and Anderson to a degree. We know Mayo and Fletcher can in the right situations.
    I personally don't get why BB has 3 or 4 rushing on most downs, allowing his secondary to get torched the way it does. We would be better served rushing 6 and forcing the QB to throw.