Get Over the OLB thing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zoidrk. Show zoidrk's posts

Get Over the OLB thing

Reading Reiss's column today it is amazing how many "fantasy experts" are having hissy fits because the Pats didn't draft an OLB.
    Let's start with Clay Mathews, who didn't start until his fourth game of his senior year. Then there is the kid from UCincy who was a LB for how long, two seasons? And Brian Cushing is hurt all the time and seems to have Bobby Carpenter written all over him. Aaron Curry was obviously the best but he is short for an OLB and the Pats like guys who can rush the passer and get their hands high.
    Look, I am not a BB cultist, but if he likes Woods and Crable and Guyton and Redd more that the guys who were available in the draft then it takes an idiot not to give him the benifit of the doubt. My guess is that all those "experts" over on Reiss's column never made a tackle in their lives.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Re: Get Over the OLB thing

[QUOTE]Reading Reiss's column today it is amazing how many "fantasy experts" are having hissy fits because the Pats didn't draft an OLB. Let's start with Clay Mathews, who didn't start until his fourth game of his senior year. Then there is the kid from UCincy who was a LB for how long, two seasons? And Brian Cushing is hurt all the time and seems to have Bobby Carpenter written all over him. Aaron Curry was obviously the best but he is short for an OLB and the Pats like guys who can rush the passer and get their hands high. Look, I am not a BB cultist, but if he likes Woods and Crable and Guyton and Redd more that the guys who were available in the draft then it takes an idiot not to give him the benifit of the doubt. My guess is that all those "experts" over on Reiss's column never made a tackle in their lives.
    Posted by zoidrk[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

The facts are clear: We gave up 31 TD passes last year. Thanks to the DBs and LBs, since the DL was good. The defense is very slow in comparison to most NFL teams. The secondary is being revamped in hopes that we can stitch together something of value as a unit. We are even talking about bringing in Ty Law? So waiting until McKensie to draft an OLB, then he goes down...this is not good. We were weak here last year and not improved.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I am sure Bob you have all the right answers!  You probably thought the Patriots should have traded their entire draft to move up to get Aaron Curry

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

only the jets give up all there draft picks to get a lowsy qb.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

While I think Taylor would make a nice addition to the OLB group, I do believe that the OLBs currently on the roster will get the job done. First, the Patriots offense will likely make their defense a side story to the 2009 season, much like the 2007 season. Second, the Corners, easily the worst part of the 2008 defense, has seen a big upgrade, and the D-line is slightly improved. Third, Woods is an ok OLB--not flashy, but can certainly hold his own when asked to--,Banta-Cain started 7 games for the Patriots during the 2006 season and provided a good enough pass-rush for the 49ers to give him big money, Crable has loads of potential, and Redd made some strides at the end of last season. Fourth, the Patriots will likely continue their trend of using an increasing amount of "specialty" packages that have less of a reliance on 4 LBs, with Mayo or Guyton essentially becoming OLBs on those plays.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I think the current OLB's will be just fine if they are being mixed and matched according to the situation.  taylor would definitely be an upgrade but I also expect to see more safety blitzes to help the pass rush.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Woods is not a flashy guy he lets the first rounders and big money makers do all the talking he is not like that he is a undrafted linebacker who works hard and hits hard and thats all he does. he once said he would hit his own mother if she had pads on he just loves hitting people and making plays. Would I like someone like JT to add a little extra sure why not but if not i think we will still be fine. Banta Cain had 5 and a half sacks the year he started for us so if he makes teh team we have him as well. Plus Crable looked like a monster in the pre season last year so who knows.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Boston bob - but your db's are light years better than the colts - at least according to Zbellino - because they had more ints. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

underdogg bob is not a Pats fan, he is a troll with a fake name so dont talk to him like he is one of us lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Well people have been talking the last few years that the Pats need to get young at LB. So having Crable, Woods, Mayo, Guyton, and Redd for this year has been what we are asking for. We still have vets like Thomas and Bruschi to help the kids out. Figure we have to start adding some new LB's at some point, wouldn't be surprised if we have a starting LB'ing corp of Crable, Bruschi, Mayo, Thomas for next year. I see it as we are building this team for the long haul and if these guys pan out we could make this the team of the 10's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Woods and Thomas need to stay healthy and the DC needs to get his head out of his azz and implement plays that put pressure on the QB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB has quirky theories about the offensive and defensive lines.  You can never go out and just hire any old free agent to walk onto your field and fill in.  Exception: Two Ton Ted Washington.  Everybody else on the offensive and defensive line was drafted or apprenticed. 

However, for linebackers, strength and speed aren't what counts.  Lots and lots of guys have strength and speed.  Even more important, lots of good but unrecognized free agents hit the market at moderately cheap prices.  For BB, that means he can pick from the best of the free agents and still come up with quality linebacker prospects.  However, BB still has a backup OLB apprenticeship train working.  Woods was OK and will get better.  Crable may actually be pretty good, although BB is down on him right now. 

I think BB, Jonathan Kraft and company are waiting for either Jason Taylor or Julius Peppers to lower his price. Are these guys both willing to be sitting on the sidelines in September?  I didn't think so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I would love to see Taylor here and what makes you say that BB is down on Crable?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]I am sure Bob you have all the right answers!  You probably thought the Patriots should have traded their entire draft to move up to get Aaron Curry
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

There is a difference between getting younger and faster, and getting better. Keeping Vrabel and Cassel instead of Chung...of course. Trading up for Curry (say the late number one and the 3 number 3's). Yeah, of course. Better than a maybe back-up noseguard and a huge reach at tackle. But they could have traded up for Michael Jenkins and not had to sacrifice the entire draft, the way the JESTS did for Revis a few years ago. I refuse to be a BB ball licker. They all make mistakes, and this draft was in need of the Pioli touch. We no longer have that. Cassel should have reaped much more reward than what Pioli gave us.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

"then it takes an idiot not to give him the benifit of the doubt."  zoidrk

Did we really need to call people who disagree idiots. 

I don't think the great and brave men who formed our country were idiots for disagreeing with a tax on tea.