Getting Danny Woodhead Involved?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Getting Danny Woodhead Involved?

In Response to Re: Getting Danny Woodhead Involved?:
    [QUOTE]I think it was Benny but I could be wrong. I think the 2TE monster they have would also make the screen more effective with bigger, faster bodies to block downfield. Send them out on routes, set up the screen and use Gronk and Hernandez to pick up safeties and corners and send Mankins, Waters ect. to pick up the DE's and Lb's. Like you said though, some simple tweaking is all it would take.
    Posted by Homecheese[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it has much effect on screens if the TEs are split apart. If they are on the same side, it could help.

But yes, teams that send 5+, they can be had by the screen. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]Woodhead should get the ball more, I think they're outsmarting themselves with the 4 RB rotation.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree. NE should just split time between two guys, one small guy and one medium guy. 

I think the split in carries, though, is partly trying to work Ridley in, and get Faulk's feet wet again. 

In the end, he has way more upside than BJGE, who is really just a reliable, mistake free, but average running back. 

I don't mind giving Ridley developmental reps ... I feel like using Faulk over Woodhead in any situation where Woody isn't hurt or completely gassed is crazy at this point in Faulk's career.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting Danny Woodhead Involved? : I think he is an ok blocker, and a good one for a 3rd down back. He isn't the chip-artist Faulk was in his prime, but he's getting there. I certainly think he is as good a receiving back his size in the NFL. The guy has a small frame, but makes some pretty good catches.  The pass on the wheel route was tough to figure, because we don't really know who is supposed to be where, when.  I would tend to put it on Brady, even though it is a tough throw with a small target. Whatever, the guy was basically stellar for most of the game. He only missed on like four or five passes in the entire game.  The play/scramble in front of the endzone on 3rd down (that was negated) was pure artistry ... it's the one I would show Manning fans to demonstrate his superiority. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure BB is ready to put an ok blocker out there consistently when a miss can kill the drive. We also don't know what BB has determined from practices, which it seems he relies very heavily on to make his choices. I love the little smurf, but I agree with the "In BB we Trust" mantra when it comes to coaching decisions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

Offensive snaps: Woodhead lead RB

November, 14, 2011
    Nov 14
    12:30
    PM ET
    EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- A look at snaps played by offensive skill-position players in the Patriots' 37-16 win over the Jets (as charted in press box, small margin for error):

TE Rob Gronkowski -- 66 of 69
    WR Deion Branch -- 64 of 69
    TE Aaron Hernandez -- 57 of 69
    WR Wes Welker -- 53 of 69
    RB Danny Woodhead -- 32 of 69
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis -- 17 of 69
    WR Chad Ochocinco -- 16 of 69
    WR Julian Edelman -- 12 of 69
    TE Nate Solder-- 11 of 69
    RB Kevin Faulk -- 9 of 69
    RB Stevan Ridley -- 8 of 69

(Offensive holding penalty included; no 12-men-in-the-huddle penalty.)

ANALYSIS: The running back rotation was skewed by the Patriots going to the no-huddle/hurry-up package for two long drives in the third and fourth quarters. Of those 21 snaps in the hurry-up, Woodhead took 14 and Faulk 7. Add in Woodhead playing seven snaps in the hurry-up at the end of the second quarter, and that starts to reflect why he was the "lead" back in this game. Woodhead ran hard at the end of the game. ... At receiver, Edelman's 12 snaps were a season-high as he rotated in for Welker at the end of the game. ... Ochocinco played 14 snaps in the first half and only 2 in the second half, a result of not being part of the hurry-up. ... Gronkowski's high playtime total, which has been the norm this year, highlights how he's part of almost every package.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting Danny Woodhead Involved? : Two is OK, maybe three if you run a lot. Four guys splitting 20 carries is silly. I think the coaches need to say, "who gives us the best chance" and stick with it. We play more RBs in a game than WRs and they are on the field every snap at 2-3 at a time. I just don't think a RB needs a 20min break after every play, does more harm than good.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree, let the RB get into a rythm - change it up w/ someone else if tired for a change up in style of running. Plus, depending on the actual plays called - the offense is less predictable because they leave one back that can do it all - run, screens, play action, delays, block.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

[QUOTE]I think the split in carries, though, is partly trying to work Ridley in, and get Faulk's feet wet again.  In the end, he has way more upside than BJGE, who is really just a reliable, mistake free, but average running back. Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

There you go with the Law Firm bashing again.  I don't think the average NFL running back is as reliable or mistake free as Law Firm.  Heck, the super star running backs, who ever they are this season, aren't as reliable or mistake free as Law Firm. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Getting Danny Woodhead Involved?:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone noticed that there has been a slight dropoff in the reps that Woodhead is getting? I was watching how well they worked him into the fold in the second half last Sunday, and was thinking about how he has been quiet this season. Here is his 2011 season pace: 15 game pace 78 rushes 21 catches 0TDS 2010 14 games 96 rushes 36 catches 5 TDs rushing 1 TD recieving I think they should try to get him involved a little bit more. As a runner and as a reciever. He can be such a spark for the offense. He is the best Pat with the ball in the open field, and despite his size, he is actually pretty good at fighting for tough yardage (imagine a bar of soap with 150 horsepower, lol).  He's obviously not big enough to carry a full load without getting hurt, which is why you have other runners to make up the other 300-350 rushing plays and he is the change of pace back, but he should get more touches when they are not in shotgun as a straight runner, and more touches that Faulk is getting (though I like Faulk on the roster). Anyone else notice this, have thoughts about the drop off?  Also, is it possible they are trying to protect him a bit better this season because of his injury?
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I like Woodhead but can't understand why everyone is on his sack acting like he is an all pro RB. The man just hasnt been very good this year! He hasn't been able to run it at all, can't catch the ball unless its perfectly placed in his hands (Brady has 3 INT's this year on balls that hit Woodhead in the hands but he couldnt hold onto, including the one against Buffalo at the end of the first half that turned that game around) and he goes down way to easy the first time someone touches him! Not to mention his pass blocking is weak casue he is so small players run right over him! Again, I like DW but just dont see him as more than a 4th RB on the team (maybe 5th if we could ever see Vereen). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

I also like Woodhead, but I guess I'm the only one who feels like I'm seeing TOO MUCH of him, and by that, I mean situationally...  I hope I NEVER see him trying to pick up a blitzing LB on 3 down deep in our own territory at the goal line.  That's a recipe for disaster, as seen last Sunday night.  He's just too small for blitz pickup.  It terrifies me to think that he's left in to protect Bradys blind side on 3 down...  I see him as more of a change of pace back than the lead workhorse and as already mentioned, he doesn't have the greatest of hands in the receiving department.

This team seems to have forgotten about rb screens the past few years and I doubt OBrien understands the concept, so we probably won't be seeing any soon, but if you could get the ball in his (or any of the RB's) hands in the screen game, there are yards to be had.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

I am still on the Ridley bandwagon. He has the most pure talent of any of our RBs. right now, our offensive line isnt opening up anything for any of the RBs so it is hard to be critical of the backs.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

They have a lead back (BJGE), a lead or co-lead back in the waiting (Ridley), two shifty guys (Faulk, Woodhead) and a question mark (Vereen).  The Pats run game is unconventional to say the least.  The most consistent thing about it is that no one can predict who will be the lead back from week to week.  I'm all for getting Woodhead more touches as a change of pace guy but I'd be much much happier to see BJGE, Ridley carry the load more.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Danny Woodhead - stats are for losers edition...

Leads all Patriot RB's in receptions with more than twice as many as next closest.

He's been targeted 3 times as much as any other Patriot RB.

Has the most 1st downs from receptions of any Patriot RB.

Tied with BJGE for the most YAC per reception at 6yd/per avg.

2nd to Steven Ridley for rushing yard avg per carry.

Tied 2nd with Ridley and behind BGJE for 1st downs while rushing.

3rd behind BJGE and Ridley for rushing attempts needed per 1st down. Danny @ 5. BJGE and Ridley @ 4.5.

He had the fastest 40 yrd dash, short shuttle time, highest yard per carry average, and double the number of rushing attempts of any of the Patriot running back coming out of college.

What does it all mean? Nothing, just informational.

As much as I like Benny I do hope they continue to mix in Ridley and woodhead and hopefully Vereen at some point if he shows ready. Benny is totally solid but he's never going to create something from nothing or be a threat to take a broken play to the house. He does not have that in his game at this level.

The Patriots do not need Benny to be anything other than he is for them to be successful but it certainly was nice to see Ridley rip off a few long ones in that one game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting Danny Woodhead Involved? : I'm not sure BB is ready to put an ok blocker out there consistently when a miss can kill the drive. We also don't know what BB has determined from practices, which it seems he relies very heavily on to make his choices. I love the little smurf, but I agree with the "In BB we Trust" mantra when it comes to coaching decisions.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

agree, It's the one costly weakness that he hasn't figured out how to overcome yet.  Maybe he'll learn the tricks as Faulk did as zbellino says.  But beyond killing a drive, a missed block, or getting too easily pancaked can also kill your QB as a result. I imagine that a missed reception isn't as big of a concern to a coach as the inability to be solid on picking up pass rushers in the backfield.  

He's definitely a weapon that we all like for the offense, however I like the fact that the team is getting Ridley some experience and figuring out what works and what doesn't work with their running backs now.  Injury wise, running backs have been getting chewed up and spit out in this league on a regular basis.  I'd much rather have this problem of too many without enough touches.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Thanks for posting this.  Didn't realize that Solder took 11 snaps at TE.  Glad to see that he did.  Anybody notice how the offense worked during those plays?  TV announcers are so busy gushing about QBs, its hard to keep track of other players quietly doing their job.  Solder is supposted to be very athletic, and bigger than Gronk.  Hernandez at WR with Gronk and Solder as dual TEs... that's what I'm looking for.