Gholston to the Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Gholston to the Patriots?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/25/jets-re-do-gholstons-contract/

Interesting one line from the article: "If/when he's released, look for the Patriots (who arguably bluffed New York into picking Gholston) to try to do with him that which the Jets to date have been unable to do."

Jets re-do Gholston's contract

For as good as the Jets were in 2009, they could have been even better if they'd used the sixth overall pick in the 2008 draft on someone other than linebacker Vernon Gholston.  But at a time when many assumed that the arrival of Jason Taylor would result in the ouster of Gholston, the team and the player have worked out a deal that reduces his pay. 

According to Rich Cimini and Adam Schefter of ESPNNewYork.com, Gholston's $1.9 million base salary has been cut, and he'll be able to earn back the difference via incentives.  He'll also be moving from linebacker to defensive end, a relatively thankless position in the 3-4 defense, which primarily requires the player to tie up blockers so that the linebackers can make plays on the ball.

And so it'll be even harder for Gholston to register his first-ever NFL sack.

If/when he's released, look for the Patriots (who arguably bluffed New York into picking Gholston) to try to do with him that which the Jets to date have been unable to do.

Meanwhile, Raiders tackle Bruce Campbell can likely blame Gholston in part for Campbell's slide to round four.  Both were workout warriors, runnning fast and jumping high and lifting a lot of weights and doing great things that otherwise never occur on a football field.  Gholston's example likely has prompted teams to remember the contents of the college game tapes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Re: Gholston to the Patriots?

i think the salary reduction means he is safe. i'm guessing with the size and strength he can be a good special teams guy, even if he cant play OLB. DE doesnt make much sense seeing as how, besides not being a good pass rusher, he's weak against the run. anyway, who cares?? i love that he's a bust for them.