Giants A Good or Bad Matchup Vs. Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Giants A Good or Bad Matchup Vs. Patriots?

The Giants have done pretty well passing this year, Eli is ranked behind Brady in QB rating, but they're somewhat anemic w/ the running game. Defensively, their middling vs. pass...and pisss poor vs. run.

Most of us are already aware of the Patriots strengths and weaknesses already, so no need to hash that out.

Coming off a loss and having a home field advantage, we should beat the Giants.
    Offense will likely bounce back from a bad outing last week. I say this is a good chance for us to mix things up again offensively - and run the ball more than last week.

How do others think the Giants match up against the Patriots?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geographer91. Show Geographer91's posts

Re: Giants A Good or Bad Matchup Vs. Patriots?

I like this match up, we can run when we in control of the game, not trying to play catch up, so I think we will see a lot of runs, draws and screens. Once the G-men tighten up the box we set off Welker, Branch and Price at around 20 yard pass plays. The Steelers made us change our game and we handled that dreadfully. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geographer91. Show Geographer91's posts

Something I was thinking of during the debacle last Sunday.

Brady needed a blocking back and as good as Faulk and Woodhead are in that role, they have trouble with the better linebackers. 

What about using Gronkowski in that role, we know he can block from the End, he can catch and has good ball handling skills, and when he gets a handoff it will probably take more than one guy to bring him down when he goes around the edge.

This could be a dumb idea but I thought that Gronk next to brady as protection on some plays would give him (Brady) an outlet receiver or help in blocking when the pressure comes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

very bad match up. Giants can pressure the QB with 4 players, and have strong DB play. Ross, while a gambler/ball hawk, is beatable, but has the size to jam at the line. Good safety play. Can be run on.
    Pats catch a break with questionable health on Nicks and Bradshaw.
    Pats OL must play better.
    Eli is prone to mistakes, Pats must generate pressure.
    23-20, Pats

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hulk. Show hulk's posts

This needs to be a statement game for BB.  All season the defense has struggled.  It has struggled in EVERY aspect of the game! But now the offense has become very predictable.  I know they lost against a great team, but our offense was dominated.  It's later in the season, so there are no quick fixes.  That's why it's a big game for BB.  This is the team he built.  He needs to get this team together and become aggresive...on offense.  I was going to say they need to use Edelman more on special teams, but that doesn't look too promising now.  Hopefully Taylor Price can be a great unknown factor and play his heart out.  Troy Brown started his career the same way.  Just wishful thinking.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

This game is mearsure of the Pats offense again since the Giants is the good defense team.  Eli is good QB might do the same things as Big Ben.  Therefore, this match up is good test for the Pats team.  I 'll see this game will be a closed game.  If the Pats are in the position to play a catch up games like the Steelers, they will be in trouble!!.  Last week is a wake up call for the Pats.
    The predictions:  Pats 27 Giants 24.
    Go Pats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Response to Giants A Good or Bad Matchup Vs. Patriots?:
    [QUOTE]The Giants have done pretty well passing this year, Eli is ranked behind Brady in QB rating, but they're somewhat anemic w/ the running game. Defensively, their middling vs. pass...and pisss poor vs. run. Most of us are already aware of the Patriots strengths and weaknesses already, so no need to hash that out. Coming off a loss and having a home field advantage, we should beat the Giants. Offense will likely bounce back from a bad outing last week. I say this is a good chance for us to mix things up again offensively - and run the ball more than last week. How do others think the Giants match up against the Patriots?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Geographer91. Show Geographer91's posts

Prediction,

Patriots 31
    Giants 17

Brady 32 - 40 3 TDs
    BJGE 18 for 94 yards and 1 TD
    Welker 6 Catches
    Gronk 5 Catches 1 TD
    Hernandes 4 Catches 1 TD
    Branch 3 Catches 1 TD
    Price 3 Catches for 64 yards

Defense 3 Sacks and 2 Interceptions

The Game is statistically over before the half

give or take a few 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Well, they are near the bottom of the league in run defense(as were the Steelers) so we'll probably come out spread and throw 39 atts to 19 rushes.

Giants can rush 4 and drop 7 in coverage as good as anybody so we'll stubbornly throw right into that defensive front, not find anybody open and watch Brady get hit 8 times like the Cowboys game.

Or we'll come out with Brady under center in a power run formation utilize 2 great TE's in play action and stomp the Giants into oblivion.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

If the Pats are committed to running the ball the match-up is fine.  Key against the Giants is staying out of obvious passing downs, especially 3rd and longs, because they will hit the QB.

As someone else mentioned, the Pats may be fortunate that Nicks and Bradshaw may not play or be at full strength.  With Eli it is hard to say whether he is playing great or due for a 3 INT Eli game.  He has been really good, especially late in games, so far this year but with Eli it seems like a bad game is always a possibility. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

As bad as last Sundays loss feels, I think the Buffalo loss was far worse, having blown a 21 point lead. Pittsburgh has the best defense in the league at this point, had the home field (a huge advantage), and other than the one interception early, played a solid, mistake free game. That loss does not hurt the Pats chances as much as some people are making it seem, they are still in a very good position. If they can beat the Giants and Jets in the next 2 weeks (not easy games, but the Pats usually respond to a loss and would love nothing more than to smoke the Jets in NY and end their season), then even if they split with KC and Philly, they will enter the final 5 games with an 8-3 record.  Indy at home, Denver and Washington on the road, and Miami and Buffalo at home is not exactly murderers row coming down the stretch. 12-4 or 13-3 is still not out of possibility, which should mean a first round bye.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In Response to Re: Giants A Good or Bad Matchup Vs. Patriots?:
    [QUOTE]As bad as last Sundays loss feels, I think the Buffalo loss was far worse, having blown a 21 point lead. Pittsburgh has the best defense in the league at this point, had the home field (a huge advantage), and other than the one interception early, played a solid, mistake free game. That loss does not hurt the Pats chances as much as some people are making it seem, they are still in a very good position. If they can beat the Giants and Jets in the next 2 weeks (not easy games, but the Pats usually respond to a loss and would love nothing more than to smoke the Jets in NY and end their season), then even if they split with KC and Philly, they will enter the final 5 games with an 8-3 record.  Indy at home, Denver and Washington on the road, and Miami and Buffalo at home is not exactly murderers row coming down the stretch. 12-4 or 13-3 is still not out of possibility, which should mean a first round bye.
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

I agree. Buffalo was a much tougher pill to swallow.

Feels like the Steelers shut down the Pats the way the Jets did in the postseason last year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Something I was thinking of during the debacle last Sunday. Brady needed a blocking back and as good as Faulk and Woodhead are in that role, they have trouble with the better linebackers.  What about using Gronkowski in that role, we know he can block from the End, he can catch and has good ball handling skills, and when he gets a handoff it will probably take more than one guy to bring him down when he goes around the edge. This could be a dumb idea but I thought that Gronk next to brady as protection on some plays would give him (Brady) an outlet receiver or help in blocking when the pressure comes.
    Posted by Geographer91[/QUOTE]

We used to have FBs on the roster.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Giants A Good or Bad Matchup Vs. Patriots? : I will agree Brady threw away that Buffalo game for us. That should have been a win. Pitt on the other hand....again Russ, I think Pitt's A game on defense countered our A game on offense. I don't think we played a C game on offense. The problem was the offense had too few opportunities to score against a very good Pitt D. Brady didn't throw any picks and was somewhat efficient. Please tell me how we played a C game? If you are saying we gameplanned a C game, and thus executed a C on a C gameplan then I agree and that one is on BB and OB. Again, OB proves himself the master of the non-adjustment. As far as the Giants go...Like everyone else on this board...pound it down their throat early and often. Line up Solder and Gronk on the line and smack them around. The Giants line is fast as far as pass rush, but I think with superior numbers, can be manhandled in the run game. This will open up everything else as the Giants can't commit dropping 7 back to flood the field like everyone else. If OB doesn't get this right this week, I am seriously thinking about using some money to pay a plane to fly over Foxborough next home game trailing something simple like, "OB must go". I want to see a healthy dose of all the backs, plus see Brady under center more.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

We game planned to go pass heavy against Pitt's famous zone/blits defense. Which we have a history of abusing. Problem was lebeau didn't use it and took a page out of the Ryan families playbook and rushed 3-4 and dropped 7-8 with Cb's playing man.

Not only did we fail to adjust by halftime, we NEVER adjusted. 6 rushes by 35 year old Faulk was our run game. We passed into a pass cheating defense and failed again, just like 07 SB, just like last years Jets playoff game/Browns game, and just like this years Cowboys game.

Run the ball Billy Obrien, RUN THE BALL. I wonder how much Ridley/Vareen and Woody made to ride the pine? I rather would have cut one of them and kept Bodden as our secondary looks like swiss queso.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]If O'Brien and Brady don't work together better and we don't run it in the first half, it doesn't really matter what the matchups look like. It just doesn't. I conceded a loss to Dallas for this reason, but only a miracle drive salvaged that disaster on offense. We should be able to absolutely run all over this team, one that gives up over 5 yards per carry. If we don't, however, it makes no difference. Expect a close game and a possible loss due to O'Brien/Brady's relationship.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that too - but I'd like to see law firm, ridley, and woody get some touches vs. Faulk.  Love Faulk, but he's least likely of the bunch to break out for a run longer than 10 yards.  We need those occasional bursts to keep the chains moving.

Also need to be more creative on offense....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]As bad as last Sundays loss feels, I think the Buffalo loss was far worse, having blown a 21 point lead. Pittsburgh has the best defense in the league at this point, had the home field (a huge advantage), and other than the one interception early, played a solid, mistake free game. That loss does not hurt the Pats chances as much as some people are making it seem, they are still in a very good position. If they can beat the Giants and Jets in the next 2 weeks (not easy games, but the Pats usually respond to a loss and would love nothing more than to smoke the Jets in NY and end their season), then even if they split with KC and Philly, they will enter the final 5 games with an 8-3 record.  Indy at home, Denver and Washington on the road, and Miami and Buffalo at home is not exactly murderers row coming down the stretch. 12-4 or 13-3 is still not out of possibility, which should mean a first round bye.
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111[/QUOTE]

moreso because it's a divisional team. We do have to split with the bills, take two from the jets, and take to from the fins.....and of course, have the other divisional teams beat up on each other...lolLaughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Giants A Good or Bad Matchup Vs. Patriots? : That's because Brady threw it away. You go on the road, get picked 4 times, 3 of them right in a row and you deserve to lose. We lost playing our C game to Pitt and they barely won.  That's one good way to look at it if there is a rematch in January.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I will agree Brady threw away that Buffalo game for us. That should have been a win.
    Pitt on the other hand....again Russ, I think Pitt's A game on defense countered our A game on offense. I don't think we played a C game on offense. The problem was the offense had too few opportunities to score against a very good Pitt D. Brady didn't throw any picks and was somewhat efficient.

Please tell me how we played a C game? If you are saying we gameplanned a C game, and thus executed a C on a C gameplan then I agree and that one is on BB and OB. Again, OB proves himself the master of the non-adjustment.

As far as the Giants go...Like everyone else on this board...pound it down their throat early and often. Line up Solder and Gronk on the line and smack them around. The Giants line is fast as far as pass rush, but I think with superior numbers, can be manhandled in the run game.

This will open up everything else as the Giants can't commit dropping 7 back to flood the field like everyone else.

If OB doesn't get this right this week, I am seriously thinking about using some money to pay a plane to fly over Foxborough next home game trailing something simple like, "OB must go".

I want to see a healthy dose of all the backs, plus see Brady under center more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

They have a QB not named Mark Sanchez. Automatic bad matchup for the defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Giants A Good or Bad Matchup Vs. Patriots? : I completely agree with your assessment. The question I had was directed at Russ, asking him to explain how we brought our C game. It appears we gameplanned incorrectly, so the C game was on OB/BB. And as you clearly point out, we never adjusted, resulting in probably an F gameplan on offense. It seems we continue to play into the hands of our opponent. They dare us to pass and we continue to pass with no success. I would agree with Russ if we executed poorly, threw interceptions, fumbled or were called for gamechanging penalties. The point I was making is we executed pretty good on a flawed (C) gameplan. The issue was the gamplan and lack of adjustment, not the execution per se.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Gotcha Lifer, Yeah for the game plan given brady performs about as well as anybody could, imo. Didn't force throws, and didn't turn the ball over, executed a shtty game plan to perfection.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Giants A Good or Bad Matchup Vs. Patriots? : We game planned to go pass heavy against Pitt's famous zone/blits defense. Which we have a history of abusing. Problem was lebeau didn't use it and took a page out of the Ryan families playbook and rushed 3-4 and dropped 7-8 with Cb's playing man. Not only did we fail to adjust by halftime, we NEVER adjusted. 6 rushes by 35 year old Faulk was our run game. We passed into a pass cheating defense and failed again, just like 07 SB, just like last years Jets playoff game/Browns game, and just like this years Cowboys game. Run the ball Billy Obrien, RUN THE BALL. I wonder how much Ridley/Vareen and Woody made to ride the pine? I rather would have cut one of them and kept Bodden as our secondary looks like swiss queso.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with your assessment. The question I had was directed at Russ, asking him to explain how we brought our C game. It appears we gameplanned incorrectly, so the C game was on OB/BB. And as you clearly point out, we never adjusted, resulting in probably an F gameplan on offense. It seems we continue to play into the hands of our opponent. They dare us to pass and we continue to pass with no success.

I would agree with Russ if we executed poorly, threw interceptions, fumbled or were called for gamechanging penalties. The point I was making is we executed pretty good on a flawed (C) gameplan. The issue was the gamplan and lack of adjustment, not the execution per se.