Give up Moss for a 3rd, Pick up Branch for a 4th!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Re: Give up Moss for a 3rd, Pick up Branch for a 4th!

Given that we only got a 3rd for Moss and had to give up an extremely high price, IMO, for Branch we now know two things for sure.

1. There was far more to the Moss situation than anybody has let on.

2. Taylor Price is no closer to grasping this offense than he was in training camp.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Basically the Patriots traded Maloney for Branch.  In my book, a good trade.  Get rid of a dancing running back.  Get a favored target for Brady.  The offense will be better without Moss.  The Patriots were always successful with the long "dink and dunk" offensive drives.  Moss would never have been happy in that offense.  He wants the ball all the time.  He drops half the balls that are thrown his way.  Branch will bring a veteran presense to the lineup.  Hopefully he can help the young receivers with the "Patriots way" of doing things. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reegz04. Show reegz04's posts

Now I could be wrong ( Because Branch pretty much disappeared when he left to Washington ) But hasn't his HEALTH been his issue the past few years??? Hasn't he not been able to stay healthy for a full season??? Soooooooooo Is he suddenly going to be just dandy now that he's back on the East Coast?? Or are we going to just have him week to week like our boy Freddy Taylor?? Awsome..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

The 4th round pick DOES seem high. Could the Seahawks be helping us out in return by picking up some of his salary? There's no way Branch is worth over 5 mil a year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I thought trading for Branch was a bold and risky move.  The guy has been hurt a lot and comes with two years left on his contract for over $5 MM a year.  When healthy he can be very good as we remember.  He and Brady had a feel for each other.  If you remember, TB used to talk about how he knew Branch so well that they could just look at each other and change a route and Brady could anticipate Branch's cuts.  Sometimes it isn't always just the QB.  Certain players perform better in certain systems.  Look at TBC.  He was good with us, bad in SF, then good with us again.  Adalius Thomas was great in Baltimore but bad with us.  Let's hope Branch is over the injury bug. 

The trade for me means the Pats didn't just throw in the towel on the 2010 season.  I really didn't think they'd go out and land a veteran receiver before the deadline.  Brady clearly had his stamp of approval on this.  Trades mid season are very rare and we just made three of them since the season started.  As for the trade itself, Branch was drafted late the 2nd round (65th overall which was the last taken in the 2nd), traded to Seattle for a 1st round pick that we used to essentially draft Mayo (10th overall) and trade for Moss.  Branch was re-aquired for a 4th round pick.  Not bad.  Moss was acquired for a 4th round pick and traded for a 3rd round pick, also not bad.

We have drafted a ton of players in the 4th round in the BB era.  The result?

Good Picks:  '02 Jarvis Green, '03 Asante Samuel, '05 James Sanders, '06 Stephen Gostkowski, '10 Aaron Hernandez.

Bad Picks: '00 Robinson- Randall, '01 Kenyetta Jones, Jabari Holloway, '02 Rohan Davey, '03 Dan Klecko, '04 Dexter Reed, Cedric Cobbs, '06 Garrett Mills.  The jury is still out on '08 Jonathan Wilhite and '09 Rich Ohrnberger.

Summary, 5 good, 8 bad and 2 maybes.  Since we had 8 picks in the first four rounds, giving up one of the lowest ones, we could afford.  Only 6 of these 8 top picks would likely make the team based on who we have or will have on the 2011 roster.  The only downside is the financial one and injury bug risk.  When healthy with Brady, Branch has been very good.  We haven't won a SB since he left but of course there have been more reasons for that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Fourth round seems a bit high to me (5th would have been a no brainer)--but I think BB wanted a known quantity at this point and was willing to stretch for that security.  He knows that Branch and Brady have good chemistry and that Branch can play in this offense--so that made Branch a bit more valuable in BB's eyes. We don't know the whole story behind the Moss trade, but the rumors suggest something wasn't working there, and Moss was going to have a smaller role in the game plan this year. Branch probably fits in better with what BB is doing this year--more short and intermediate routes, fewer deep passes.  Given that neither Moss or Branch is in the long-term plans, you can look at this deal as Moss and a fourth rounder for Branch and a third rounder. For the short term, it gives them a veteran who fits in with this year's plan better than Moss did and for the long term, it improves their status in the draft this spring. Overall, that's a pretty good deal, I think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to Re: Give up Moss for a 3rd, Pick up Branch for a 4th!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Give up Moss for a 3rd, Pick up Branch for a 4th! : LOL!  It is obvious that I know much more about professional football than you do.
    Posted by m1023us[/QUOTE]

No, I know more than you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

All this stuff about Branch is great and I hope he does well. But does he have the knees to survive the season. I would have kept Moss... oh well