Globe Staff Pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucksy. Show bucksy's posts

Globe Staff Pick

Hometown paper chose Ravens to win this weekend.  What a bunch of crock! 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Re: Globe Staff Pick

Those picks are made against the spread with Baltimore getting 9 points. Who would you take against the spread? I would go with the Pats, I have a good feeling about this game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

Those picks are made against the spread with Baltimore getting 9 points. Who would you take against the spread? I would go with the Pats, I have a good feeling about this game.

Agree, these guys pick against the spread.  Note at the bottom of the chart..  choices against the spread.  Simply put, they do not think the Pats will cover the 9 points, only one does.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Vegas is down to 8 points,,,,Money going on Ravens - where mine would be. I think its a nail biter, Pats by 3

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Them and everyone else. It's hard to believe the Patriots are considered favorites after reading articles from various media outlets. I hope it's a blowout so the Ravens and their fans will just shut up and Ray can retire the way he should; Going down in flames.

The Pats always seem to play their best when overlooked so I see this as a good thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

Them and everyone else. It's hard to believe the Patriots are considered favorites after reading articles from various media outlets. I hope it's a blowout so the Ravens and their fans will just shut up and Ray can retire the way he should; Going down in flames.

The Pats always seem to play their best when overlooked so I see this as a good thing.

Do not think the Pats are overlooked. What is happening is there are a lot of words being thrown at the "Ray Lewis" retirement thing and this team of destiny topic that has crept up about the Ravens this season.  This has gotten folks attention, made folks think there must be something to it and as a result there is an emotional twist towards the Ravens.  A lot of folks are going with the flow.  Most pickers are going the Pats way, but, the Ravens are being loved right now!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Still, 8 pts. is a lot.  That's a pretty comfortable spread.  I wouldn't worry about folks going against the spread.  Blow out baby!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

The best analysts about the NFL are the Vegas Bookies. They opened up 9.5 and if it stays there, they know something, especially if the money goes on the Ravens.

Very rare Vegas puts a big spread like this especially since these 2 Teams played each other so close in last 2 games. Unless there is key injuries.

I am taking the Pats and giving the points, not because I'm a Pats Fan, its because too many people are taking the points.

They put the spread so high because they WANT you to pick the Ravens, which is what everyone did.

They are basically saying the Pats should win but they want you to take the ravens so that they don't lose $$$$$.

If they put the Pats at 3 points (Which is probably more realistic), not so many people would pic the Ravens...

They want you to lose.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

5 of 7 Baltimore Sun writers picked the Pats...They must be looking for attention too!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

I agree BostonSportsFan!  I have a very good feeling about this game this weekend too! Patriots by 13!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Do people understand how point spreads work?  Vegas tries to get an even amount of money on both sides so they get a riskless profit.  They move the spread around based on where people are putting their money to try and even it out.  That is why I don't understand when people talk about "the bookies getting to the refs" or "Vegas knowing something".  Only a stupid bookmaker actually has an interest in how the game turns out because they failed to get even amounts of money on both sides.  Perhaps some small timer does that and gets taken to the cleaners, but there is no way the big players in Vegas do.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

The best analysts about the NFL are the Vegas Bookies. They opened up 9.5 and if it stays there, they know something, especially if the money goes on the Ravens.

Very rare Vegas puts a big spread like this especially since these 2 Teams played each other so close in last 2 games. Unless there is key injuries.

I am taking the Pats and giving the points, not because I'm a Pats Fan, its because too many people are taking the points.

Broncos were 9.5 on the Ravens. Pats were 9 I believe against the Jets in 2010. I'm also pretty sure Pats were 2.5 on the Giants in 2011 despite the fact that 80% of the experts picked the Gmen.

Vegas knows how people will bet, not necessarily who will win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

They put the spread so high because they WANT you to pick the Ravens, which is what everyone did.

They are basically saying the Pats should win but they want you to take the ravens so that they don't lose $$$$$.

If they put the Pats at 3 points (Which is probably more realistic), not so many people would pic the Ravens...

They want you to lose.

Wow!  Pezzy with a rare, informed comment.  Shocking. Maybe you did graduate high school?

Or, maybe you're just a street wise type who enjoys gambling?

All my coments are informed and based on facts.  You, not so much!

How many extra drives will the Pats get if they get 2 picks, again?   Bwahahaha

Dumb!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Broncos were 9.5 on the Ravens. Pats were 9 I believe against the Jets in 2010. I'm also pretty sure Pats were 2.5 on the Giants in 2011 despite the fact that 80% of the experts picked the Gmen.

Vegas knows how people will bet, not necessarily who will win.

Disagree with you.

Disagree with what?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Do people understand how point spreads work?  Vegas tries to get an even amount of money on both sides so they get a riskless profit.  They move the spread around based on where people are putting their money to try and even it out.  That is why I don't understand when people talk about "the bookies getting to the refs" or "Vegas knowing something".  Only a stupid bookmaker actually has an interest in how the game turns out because they failed to get even amounts of money on both sides.  Perhaps some small timer does that and gets taken to the cleaners, but there is no way the big players in Vegas do.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Well, they are. Playing contrarian, regardless of how dumb you can look, still gets them ratings as compared to when there is no contrarian.

Jouranlism has changed to the point they need a new term for it, because it ain't Journalism.

It should be called Sensationalism and it shouldn't be praised.

Check Felgers outfit yesterday.....just proves this point in spades. These hacks do whatever it takes to get ratings.....Felger picked the Ravens to stir the pot. It is what it is. The media are after drama stories, not cold hard facts.

Unfortunately, it's what the public wants. Why do you think the last week has been about two people.....Lance & Te'o......America & the media are drama queens.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to bucksy's comment:

Hometown paper chose Ravens to win this weekend.  What a bunch of crock! 

Interesting...when you compare and contrast this with how the staff of the Baltimore Sun see this game. Five out of the seven writers have picked the Patriots to win:  

1.) Kevin Cowherd:

Patriots 30, Ravens 21

The Ravens go into this game with enormous confidence. But Tom Brady to Wes Welker is a tough combination to beat, especially at Gillette Stadium. And now the Pats actually have a running game with Stevan Ridley (1,263 yards rushing in the regular season) and Shane Vereen. The Ravens will need more than emotion from Ray Lewis' "last ride" to neutralize Vince Wilfork in the middle of the Patriots D-line, too;

2.) Edward Lee:

Patriots 24, Ravens 20

The Ravens are the only defense that has forced Tom Brady into more interceptions than touchdown passes, but the New England Patriots quarterback is 5-2 against the Ravens. Make it 6-2 as the Patriots will go to the Super Bowl for the second straight year;

3.) Mike Preston:

Ravens 31, Patriots 28

The Patriots have a lot of things working in their favor. They are at home where they have been nearly invincible. They have the NFL's best head coach and top quarterback, but I'm not sure their resolve is as great as the Ravens. The Pats were in the Big Game last year and the Ravens haven't been to the Super Bowl since 2000. Quarterback Joe Flacco and the offensive line are hot, and desire and the law of averages should put the Ravens over the top;

4.) Peter Schmuck:

Ravens 27, Patriots 24

The Ravens have already proved the oddsmakers dead wrong once and now they are going to do it again. They're on a mission and they've already proven they can compete with the Patriots in the postseason at Gillette Stadium. Now, it's time to get over the hump;

5.) Matt Vensel:  

Patriots 31, Ravens 29

The Ravens will again put up a heck of a fight on the road, but Ray's last ride will run out of gas in Foxborough, where Tom Brady and the high-octane Patriots offense are tough to beat;

6.) Aaron Wilson:

Patriots 31, Ravens 27

Despite a game effort that pushes the Patriots to the brink of elimination, the Ravens' fall short of an elusive Super Bowl berth as Tom Brady throws a series of darts to Wes Welker. Joe Flacco and the offense are unable to score enough points to make up for several defensive breakdowns;

7.) Jeff Zrebiec:

Patriots 27, Ravens 23

I'm not a big believer in the whole "Team of Destiny" storyline, but the Ravens are making it hard not to at least contemplate the possibility. However, it's even harder to go against Bill Belichick and Tom Brady in a big game at home.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-01-17/sports/bs-sp-ravens-playoff-picks-0118-20130117_1_ravens-patriots-baltimore-sun-staff-members-mike-preston