Good article about Talib

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Good article about Talib

From ESPNBoston.com:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- There's a simple explanation of how the midseason acquisition of cornerback Aqib Talib has had a positive effect on the New England Patriots' defense, and captain Vince Wilfork explained it best Wednesday.

"Any time you can basically say, 'Hey, you got this guy and we are going to cover everybody else,' that is a good sign," Wilfork said.

That's it, really, and it was most recently on display in Sunday's AFC divisional-round victory over theHouston Texans when Talib effectively covered Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson all over the field for long stretches of the game. It has been a few years since the Patriots had a cornerback like that, going back toAsante Samuel (2003-2007), and before him, Ty Law (1995-2004).

"Being able to isolate him in some situations [allows us] to do different things," said Wilfork, the All-Pro now in his ninth NFL season. "He is a special player. He's made this defense better, and we're happy to have him."

"He's a good football player, good teammate [and] he's very well respected because of his professionalism," Belichick said of Talib. "He studies hard and prepares well. He's tough. He competes well, both in practice and on Sundays. Smart kid. I like him; the team likes him. He's a good guy to be around, and he works hard and competes well. I think those are his most impressive qualities. I'm glad he's on our football team. He's certainly made us a better football team."

Linebacker Jerod Mayo, who took a few visits with Talib prior to the 2008 draft in which they were both first-round selections, noted that Talib's height (6-foot-1) and long arms brought a different dynamic to the defense.

Talib's positive impact in New England, which comes after he wore out his welcome in Tampa Bay following a string of off-field missteps, is drawing attention as the Patriots prepare for Sunday's AFC Championship Game against a Baltimore Ravens team known for, among other things, its potent deep passing game.

The Ravens, led by strong-armed quarterback Joe Flacco and speedy receiver Torrey Smith, thrive off the big play. Talib's job is to limit them, and his presence since first suiting up Nov. 18 against the Indianapolis Colts has been a big reason for the Patriots' success in doing so.

Since Talib's first game with the Patriots, only the Tennessee Titans allowed fewer 30-yard pass plays than New England, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

That's a striking change from the generous-to-the-opposition Patriots defense that surrendered a 32-yard touchdown catch to the Ravens' Smith on Sept. 23, and lost a heartbreaking game in Seattle on Oct. 14 when Sidney Rice caught a 46-yard touchdown. In the nine games before acquiring Talib, the Patriots had given up 15 passing plays of 30 yards or more.

By that time, coach Bill Belichick knew he needed help in the secondary, and it helped that theTampa Bay Buccaneers -- under first-year head coach Greg Schiano, a close friend of Belichick's -- had decided they wouldn't be re-signing Talib next season when he would be an unrestricted free agent. Talib was in the middle of a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances at the time of the trade, and the Buccaneers were committing to some of their younger players.

The deal came together right before the Nov. 1 trade deadline -- the Patriots giving up a 2013 fourth-round draft choice in return for Talib and a 2013 seventh-rounder. Had the deadline not been pushed back a few days because of Hurricane Sandy, perhaps it might not have come together at all, because the Patriots were scrambling to return from their trip to London.

Talib, who hadn't played in the playoffs in four seasons with the Buccaneers, is glad that it did.

"This is what you play for, man," he said. "You want to have a chance to get in the tournament. I got my shot at the tournament and I'm going to try to make the best of it."

Talib added that one of the things he appreciates about the culture in New England is that it's all about football. The structured, football-first environment, and how teammates welcomed him after the trade, suits him well.

"It's real football; that's what I like. You come here and you know you're going to play some real football," he said. "When you're little and you think about being in the NFL, you think about being in this situation. It's ideal for me."

Meanwhile, Talib has won over Belichick and his teammates with his approach to the game. Belichick described his presence Wednesday as "very positive," which wasn't what some "anonymous personnel men" were saying about Talib and what the Patriots gave up in the trade. (Are these anonymous types ever held accountable?)

To be fair, some of Talib's off-field transgressions opened himself up to scrutiny. But others who know him predicted he'd thrive in a rigid environment, similar to running back Corey Dillon and receiver Randy Moss before him. And the fourth-round draft choice given up has been well worth it for the Patriots, in part because of Talib's cover skills, and also because of the trickle-down effect of being able to move Devin McCourty to safety.

"He has really improved this defense in the passing aspect, and as you saw last week, he can tackle a little bit," Mayo said, referencing a solid fourth-down tackle on Texans running back Arian Foster. "He is a football guy, always in the film room trying to learn, giving tips to guys."

"He loves the game," Wilfork added. "I always try to find guys that have the passion, have the love for the game, because I can play with anybody like that. When he got here, from Day 1, we saw his passion and love for the game."

To this point, it's been a near-perfect match between team and player. The Patriots needed help in the secondary and Talib needed a fresh start.

It's brought out the best in both.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Good article about Talib

Good read...

Since his aquisition our defense is no longer a liability. Talib has helped to solidify the secondary and a big part of that is having McCourty playing safety, but almost as important was moving Arington off the outside and having him cover the slot reciever. It doesn't take a football expert to see the improvement. Time will tell if it's a championship quality defense...they passed the first test last week and come Sunday will have another shot at helping this team win and move on to the meet the NFC's best.

Then after the season, the question that then must be answered is do the Patriots sign the guy or let him walk?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Thanks for the article...i had just recently read that myself.  While Talib hasn't had a standout numbers of passes batted away or tons of pick sixes, he definitely has had a good effect back there.  Also helping has been the health of the secondary this year. 

Arrington has largely been able to stay in his more effective role as nickel db, McCourty has been rock solid at safety (I loved when they moved him there last year), and Dennard has been the steal we were all hoping he would be.  It's truly amazing when you get a guy that can just settle guys into their most effective position and role.  Credit to BB for recognizing this and pulling the trigger on the trade.

In the article with Sterling Moore, regarding that last play he slapped away from Lee Evans...he mentions that the DBs are coached to not look for the ball.  That gave me pause because we know that refs are going to throw flags if the db isn't looking for the ball and the defender is right there.  I hope that Talib and Co. ignores that concept going against the Ravens because they're going to get a lot of PI calls if a ball is hung up and the WR slows down and our guy runs into them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:

Thanks for the article...i had just recently read that myself.  While Talib hasn't had a standout numbers of passes batted away or tons of pick sixes, he definitely has had a good effect back there.  Also helping has been the health of the secondary this year. 

Arrington has largely been able to stay in his more effective role as nickel db, McCourty has been rock solid at safety (I loved when they moved him there last year), and Dennard has been the steal we were all hoping he would be.  It's truly amazing when you get a guy that can just settle guys into their most effective position and role.  Credit to BB for recognizing this and pulling the trigger on the trade.

In the article with Sterling Moore, regarding that last play he slapped away from Lee Evans...he mentions that the DBs are coached to not look for the ball.  That gave me pause because we know that refs are going to throw flags if the db isn't looking for the ball and the defender is right there.  I hope that Talib and Co. ignores that concept going against the Ravens because they're going to get a lot of PI calls if a ball is hung up and the WR slows down and our guy runs into them.

The secondary coaches on this team ought to be fired. They are horrible. HORRIBLE.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:

You're being a bit misleading.  He said they run a drill at the end of practice where they are told not to look for the ball just to try to break the play up based on the WRs body language.  Simulating they got beat and have one chance left to break up the play.  He goes on to say that was the only time that year that he used that training he received.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

The secondary coaches on this team ought to be fired. They are horrible. HORRIBLE.

Belichick is arrogant. He only hires pawns to carry out his selfish agenda. He would never hire any one who might question his methods. :p

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Belichick is arrogant. He only hires pawns to carry out his selfish agenda. He would never hire any one who might question his methods.

I'm glad to see we have someone here that knows Belichick personally.  Obviously his methods don't work as well as all the coaches out there with 4 SB rings but we as fans must make do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Belichick is arrogant. He only hires pawns to carry out his selfish agenda. He would never hire any one who might question his methods.

Yeah,wanting to win football games is a selfish agenda.

SMH

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

I didn't read the whole article about talib-Do they mention his rap sheet at all?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Good read...

Since his aquisition our defense is no longer a liability. Talib has helped to solidify the secondary and a big part of that is having McCourty playing safety, but almost as important was moving Arington off the outside and having him cover the slot reciever. It doesn't take a football expert to see the improvement. Time will tell if it's a championship quality defense...they passed the first test last week and come Sunday will have another shot at helping this team win and move on to the meet the NFC's best.

Then after the season, the question that then must be answered is do the Patriots sign the guy or let him walk?

I don't know if I'd go that far.  Granted, Talib is a tall DB who certainly will help the patriots play more man-to-man - and is better prepared for teams tha have a solid WR.  It'll be interesting to see how they do against Bolden and Pitta.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

oh yeah, if the patriots do win the sb this year, it will be interesting if Talib wants to stay for less than fair market value.  If they do win, my guess is he will go after the money; especially since he appears to be leaving it all on the field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

yes that was a good read. Highlites the importance of resigning him this offseason. I remember when we first traded for him a poster asked if he was worth a 4th round pick. I responded with a prediction; I predicted that we will have a small lead in the super bowl with less than a minute left and Aquib Talib gets a pick in our red zone to win the Super Bowl! Very wishful thinking but I am sticking with it! And yes Virginia...that makes Talib worth a 4th round pick! lol

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

In response to JRABBB's comment:

I didn't read the whole article about talib-Do they mention his rap sheet at all?

You didn't read the whole thing because there were to many words I suspect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The problem with attributing the difference to Talib is that both are small samples. Technically, the Tampa Bay pass defense was better with out him (345 pass yards per game with him vs 281 without).

I definitely think the Patriots defense played better the second half of the year, but they were not exactly facing the top tier QB's during that stretch. The played two QB's in the top half of the NFL (Schaub and Kaepernick) and lost to one of them. They played five of their games against four of the worst rated QBs (Luck 26th, Tannehill 27th twice, Henne 30th, and Sanchez 31st).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

oh yeah, if the patriots do win the sb this year, it will be interesting if Talib wants to stay for less than fair market value.  If they do win, my guess is he will go after the money; especially since he appears to be leaving it all on the field.

Well, if he leaves it all out on the field and we win the Superbowl then he can go for the money.  But he might like winning and want to stay at a little discount.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

My peeve is why it took so long for BB to go after secondary help when the numbers and the naked eye over the past few years told the story of a horrible secondary. I hated to see Asante go and loathed all the gibberish about a Patriot system. We needed 2 good shut-down corners and now it appears that we've got them. Off season we'll need a backup for these two and a decent safety to partner with McCourty. Then we'll be all set.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

My peeve is why it took so long for BB to go after secondary help when the numbers and the naked eye over the past few years told the story of a horrible secondary. I hated to see Asante go and loathed all the gibberish about a Patriot system. We needed 2 good shut-down corners and now it appears that we've got them. Off season we'll need a backup for these two and a decent safety to partner with McCourty. Then we'll be all set.

"My peeve is why it took so long for BB to go after secondary help when the numbers and the naked eye over the past few year"

exaclty. been saying same for a year.

and im happy to jsut enjoy that he finally did,.

now get a pass rusher for the defense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Here's another good article about Talib http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/sports/football/cornerback-aqib-talib-finds-a-home-with-the-patriots.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Good read.