Good win but...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Good win but...

This team needs defensive line help ASAP, especially on run defense. I don't really like games where our offense has to score 30+ points to keep up with the opposition. Talib's return will be helpful to our pass defense but the pass rush isn't the problem for this team. They can get after the QB fairly well and the DBs aren't bad either. The Achilles' heel of this team is run defense right now.

I think most people (though not all) thought that the offense would improve as injuries healed and the rookies got more experience. That's starting to happen. Brady is in the midst of his finest season, IMO. Gronk, Amendola and Dobson are becoming a fearsome 1-2-3 punch. And Ridley is proving that he is a legit top-class running back. Blount and Bolden are a good supporting cast.

I know the defensive line is decimated by injuries but these are losses for the season, unlike the injuries on offense. Without help, this team will not be able to go deep into the playoffs, in my opinion. In December and January, it's all about the running game on both sides of the line. We can run but we don't have the ability to stop others from running on us.

I am an eternal optimist when it comes to supporting my team but yesterday's game was a red flag for me. The Steelers gained 5+ yards per rushing play against us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: Good win but...

I think that is why they went out and got Sopoaga. Let him get another week in the defense and see what happens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Classic example of how a defense can play to the score, (and why recent Pats teams have given up a ton of yards, along with Denver this year and Green Bay last year etc, etc.)  Not only do teams get more possessions in high scoring games, the D just doesn't play as well.

Its psychological.  The D relaxes a bit and the result is right there in the box score.  If Pats don't jump out to that 2 TD lead, D plays a different game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Can't wait to watch the coaches film when it comes out, but I wouldn't worry yet.  Sopoaga is new and they changed up the scheme with him in.  Building on last week, they played more 3-4, but with Chris Jones and Vellano at end and Sopoaga at NT.  Chandler Jones and Nink were more in an OLB look.  It was a different set up with some different players, so they may need time.  Steelers passed a lot too, so the emphasis may have been on the pass more than run. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Classic example of how a defense can play to the score, (and why recent Pats teams have given up a ton of yards, along with Denver this year and Green Bay last year etc, etc.)  Not only do teams get more possessions in high scoring games, the D just doesn't play as well.

Its psychological.  The D relaxes a bit and the result is right there in the box score.  If Pats don't jump out to that 2 TD lead, D plays a different game.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think there is some truth to that. But our run defense has been decimated by two key injuries. We need at least one more big body in the middle and ideally another one to rotate in and out so we don't overuse one guy. Soap will certainly be a big help as he starts to get more experience with their defensive schemes but we are still short at that position. Maybe Armistead is the guy that BB wants to plug in? He looks more like a defensive end than a tackle though. AJ Francis?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think there is some truth to that. But our run defense has been decimated by two key injuries. We need at least one more big body in the middle and ideally another one to rotate in and out so we don't overuse one guy. Soap will certainly be a big help as he starts to get more experience with their defensive schemes but we are still short at that position. Maybe Armistead is the guy that BB wants to plug in? He looks more like a defensive end than a tackle though. AJ Francis?

[/QUOTE]

The bye will allow BB to get the best mix of guys in there, based on availablity. THey will need to hit the ground running with tough Games coming up aginst Carolina and Denver.    I would like to see more from Hightower or just replace him with Fletcher.  I just don't see the aggression on a consistent basis with Hightower. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can't wait to watch the coaches film when it comes out, but I wouldn't worry yet.  Sopoaga is new and they changed up the scheme with him in.  Building on last week, they played more 3-4, but with Chris Jones and Vellano at end and Sopoaga at NT.  Chandler Jones and Nink were more in an OLB look.  It was a different set up with some different players, so they may need time.  Steelers passed a lot too, so the emphasis may have been on the pass more than run. 

[/QUOTE]

As I said before, I am an eternal optimist but teams that engage in shoot-out wins go nowhere in the playoffs. The opposition tightens up and if our defense can't get the opposition's offense off the field, we are in for a tough game. Yesterday, the Steelers were getting big rushes and they won the TOP battle. If they had had more balance and had run more, the TOP would have been in their favor even more. They are ranked 28th in rushing and they were getting 5+ yards per carry against us. Not good. Hopefully, Sopoaga helps stem the tide a bit but it will need at least one more big body, IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I was a good win period, no but needed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree. You cannot give up 5+ yards per carry to one of the worst rushing offenses in the league, lost the TOP, have to score ove 31 points to win, and still feel it was an unqualified good win. Believe me, I want to be a cheerleader. What BB has done with an injury-prone defense is amazing. But you cannot lose both your big guys on the line and game plan your way to a successful season. Sopoaga is a big add, and will help as he settles in. But we need more big bodies fast. This is the first time all season I am worried. I went back and saw the replay early this morning and it wasn't pretty. Go and check for yourself. They were able to get 1st downs at will and keep the clock running. Needless and errant long passes cost the Steelers big yesterday. They could have run all afternoon into the evening and kept Brady on the bench. Teams will do that as the cold weather sets in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As I said before, I am an eternal optimist but teams that engage in shoot-out wins go nowhere in the playoffs. The opposition tightens up and if our defense can't get the opposition's offense off the field, we are in for a tough game. Yesterday, the Steelers were getting big rushes and they won the TOP battle. If they had had more balance and had run more, the TOP would have been in their favor even more. They are ranked 28th in rushing and they were getting 5+ yards per carry against us. Not good. Hopefully, Sopoaga helps stem the tide a bit but it will need at least one more big body, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Where do you get a big body afer the trade deadline?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

call Richard seymour   (and do some creative coercing)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

call Richard seymour   (and do some creative coercing)

[/QUOTE]

We also have a couple of big bodies on the practice squad. Maybe one of these youngsters (AJ Francis?) can plus the hole and spell Sopoaga. It would be nice to see Seymour back, even though that will probably never happen. Anybody else out there waiting for the phone to ring?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

This team needs defensive line help ASAP, especially on run defense. I don't really like games where our offense has to score 30+ points to keep up with the opposition. Talib's return will be helpful to our pass defense but the pass rush isn't the problem for this team. They can get after the QB fairly well and the DBs aren't bad either. The Achilles' heel of this team is run defense right now.

I think most people (though not all) thought that the offense would improve as injuries healed and the rookies got more experience. That's starting to happen. Brady is in the midst of his finest season, IMO. Gronk, Amendola and Dobson are becoming a fearsome 1-2-3 punch. And Ridley is proving that he is a legit top-class running back. Blount and Bolden are a good supporting cast.

I know the defensive line is decimated by injuries but these are losses for the season, unlike the injuries on offense. Without help, this team will not be able to go deep into the playoffs, in my opinion. In December and January, it's all about the running game on both sides of the line. We can run but we don't have the ability to stop others from running on us.

I am an eternal optimist when it comes to supporting my team but yesterday's game was a red flag for me. The Steelers gained 5+ yards per rushing play against us.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not so concerned, yet.  There is no doubt that the Patriots' run D has been weakened, but I think part of what we saw was the result of BB putting the D focus on other aspects of the Steelers' offense. 

The part that scared me most was watching Arrington getting beaten on the outside.  It'll be nice to get Talib back after the bye (fingers crossed).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not so concerned, yet.  There is no doubt that the Patriots' run D has been weakened, but I think part of what we saw was the result of BB putting the D focus on other aspects of the Steelers' offense. 

The part that scared me most was watching Arrington getting beaten on the outside.  It'll be nice to get Talib back after the bye (fingers crossed).

[/QUOTE]

agree on that one.  I don't think he is fast enough to play press coverage like that with no help over the top.  OR  if you play press coverage PRESS and Get in the guys face.   Not stand there flat footed.  Arrington will need to polish up that stuff for sure.  Same with Ryan. 

All defenses are vulnerable to that sideline throw if QB can lay it in there , all you need is a step and be faster than the DB or Bigger (like a dobson.)  Want to see Brady hit that one more too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

agree on that one.  I don't think he is fast enough to play press coverage like that with no help over the top.  OR  if you play press coverage PRESS and Get in the guys face.   Not stand there flat footed.  Arrington will need to polish up that stuff for sure.  Same with Ryan. 

All defenses are vulnerable to that sideline throw if QB can lay it in there , all you need is a step and be faster than the DB or Bigger (like a dobson.)  Want to see Brady hit that one more too.

[/QUOTE]

That throw to Dobson was beautiful to watch.  No doubt, if TB can make that throw on a more consistent basis, that will effect how defenses have to guard against it, and could lead to more opportunities for the guys underneath. 

I'm really excited to get Vereen back out on the field.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!! We could nit-pick after winning 72-10, but what is the point?  The offense finally broke out, Dropson held onto the ball(mostly), The D-line created pressure, the D-backs got 2 INTs, and Ridley finally was given the ball 20+ times.  I could go on, and on, about Gronk and TB12 and everyone else, but there's no such thing as a perfect game on both sides of the ball. 

BOTTOM LINE: 7-2, 1st in the AFCE, and headed in the right direction momentum wise.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree. You cannot give up 5+ yards per carry to one of the worst rushing offenses in the league, lost the TOP, have to score ove 31 points to win, and still feel it was an unqualified good win. Believe me, I want to be a cheerleader. What BB has done with an injury-prone defense is amazing. But you cannot lose both your big guys on the line and game plan your way to a successful season. Sopoaga is a big add, and will help as he settles in. But we need more big bodies fast. This is the first time all season I am worried. I went back and saw the replay early this morning and it wasn't pretty. Go and check for yourself. They were able to get 1st downs at will and keep the clock running. Needless and errant long passes cost the Steelers big yesterday. They could have run all afternoon into the evening and kept Brady on the bench. Teams will do that as the cold weather sets in.

[/QUOTE]

I understand, but where are these big bodies coming from? The trade deadline has come and gone, and there aren't many if any decent big bodies waiting on speed dial. We have to roll with what we have unless bb can coax sey out of retirement...don't see that happening. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

5 ypc is high sure, but two carries accounted for more than half of that. 2.9 ypc on the other 18 is pretty darn good. Not worried.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That throw to Dobson was beautiful to watch.  No doubt, if TB can make that throw on a more consistent basis, that will effect how defenses have to guard against it, and could lead to more opportunities for the guys underneath. 

I'm really excited to get Vereen back out on the field.

[/QUOTE]

Right.   Me too.  The throw was great for sure but the difference yesterday  was Brady Hit it.   Multiple times this year Brady has simply whiffed on that throw.  NOT THAT IT IS AN EASY THROW TO MAKE.  I have made this point repeatedly...  Throwing footballs is an inexact science and you have to factor in EVERTHING.  That said , great QBs make that throw...  and Brady was great yeasterday.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

But nothing.

They ripped.

It was awesome.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But nothing.

They ripped.

It was awesome.

[/QUOTE]

Wait, who stole NAS's login info?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

5 ypc is high sure, but two carries accounted for more than half of that. 2.9 ypc on the other 18 is pretty darn good. Not worried.

[/QUOTE]

This is a good point.  I'll have to go back and rewatch the game, but it will be interesting to watch what defensive formation they were using when the Steelers got bigger yards.  Steelers were passing a lot, and the Pats were changing looks all game, so we might be able to see that some defensive approaches worked well against the run.  Again, I'm looking forward to watching the film when it's available later this week. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
     D
    I agree with you here neinmd. When Mayo and VW went down it most likely meant this wasnt our year. Losing Kelly and now Gregory is just piling on. Still, this D is not done yet, and has plenty of play makers and plenty of depth.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
     D
    I agree with you here neinmd. When Mayo and VW went down it most likely meant this wasnt our year. Losing Kelly and now Gregory is just piling on. Still, this D is not done yet, and has plenty of play makers and plenty of depth.

[/QUOTE]

This is not something I want to be right about, TC. But our run defense looks like it's in trouble. We are now 30th in the league in rushing yards given up. It's our one glaring weakness and I don't know what we can do to shore it up unless AJ Francis or Armstead can plug the hole or if we can pick someone off the waiver wire. It's a shame because all other phases of our game are really coming along well - rushing offense, passing offense, passing defense (especially when Talib returns), special teams. But this year especially is a run-heavy year for the league.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

This is not something I want to be right about, TC. But our run defense looks like it's in trouble. We are now 30th in the league in rushing yards given up. It's our one glaring weakness and I don't know what we can do to shore it up unless AJ Francis or Armstead can plug the hole or if we can pick someone off the waiver wire. It's a shame because all other phases of our game are really coming along well - rushing offense, passing offense, passing defense (especially when Talib returns), special teams. But this year especially is a run-heavy year for the league.

They're middle of the pack (12th) in yards per carry so really I don't think the run defense is that bad.

Plus who is this great running team that they need to fear in the AFC? Answer, there isn't one. Indy is at 4.6 ypc, but who is it on that team that strikes fear? Richardson? He's a glorified Blount. Donald Brown? OK.

KC isn't bad at 4.2 ypc, but they're not a power running offense. All the best running teams are in the NFC, so we can worry about run defense if they make it to the SB.