Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football

This guy has got to go. From his:

1.) grandstanding for the press to help turn a mole hill into a mountain on "Spygate";

2.) to allowing political correctness to seep into pro football via hiss support for complete and unfettered access to male locker rooms by female reporters,

3.) through establishing breast cancer awareness week (now extended to a full  month), during the season

4.) and by mandating that players wear pink for a full month;

5.) via his support for over-officiating on passing plays;

6.) to his proposal for an 18 game schedule, which would water down the NFL season, and shorten player careers;

7.) to his ambiguous micro-managing regarding QB and WR hits,

8.) to this...his latest idea to "enhance player safety"...widening the field of play: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/17/league-may-consider-widening-field-to-enhance-safety/

...it's only a matter of time before the NFL is declared to be too barbaric, leading to the banning of tackling altogether...and having the NFL replaced by the NFFL (National Flag Football League).   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football

A look into the future of football:

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

In Response to Re: Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football:
    [QUOTE]A look into the future of football:
    Posted by Muzwell[/QUOTE]

well thats not so bad

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football : well thats not so bad
    Posted by Soxpatsfan08[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact same thing. Now that's breast awareness!

Pat while I agree with a lot of your post I have now clue as to how breast cancer awareness month and wearing pink somehow affects the NFL. Personally my manhood has never been threatened by someone wearing a colored piece of cloth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football : I was thinking the exact same thing. Now that's breast awareness!
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

I can only speak for myself, but I've always been very aware of breasts.  At least since about fifth grade.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Is it me or does the defender in the picture look like she's going for inflated object that isn't the football?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football:
    [QUOTE]     This guy has got to go. From his: 1.) grandstanding for the press to help turn a mole hill into a mountain on "Spygate"; 2.) to allowing political correctness to seep into pro football via hiss support for complete and unfettered access to male locker rooms by female reporters, 3.) through establishing breast cancer awareness week (now extended to a full  month), during the season 4.) and by mandating that players wear pink for a full month; 5.) via his support for over-officiating on passing plays; 6.) to his proposal for an 18 game schedule, which would water down the NFL season, and shorten player careers;   7.) to his ambiguous micro-managing regarding QB and WR hits, 8.) to this...his latest idea to "enhance player safety"...widening the field of play: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/17/league-may-consider-widening-field-to-enhance-safety/ ...it's only a matter of time before the NFL is declared to be too barbaric, leading to the banning of tackling altogether...and having the NFL replaced by the NFFL (National Flag Football League).   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I guess it shouldn't surprises anyone to see this kind of slant on women's issues from a guy with TEXAS in his name.  Do your knuckles scrap the sidewalk when you walk TexasPat? 

Never would have thought breast cancer awareness would be seen as the end of the NFL as we know it.  Good Grief!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I think the whole breast cancer thing shouldn't last all month.  a week or two would suffice. 

I think it's a play at female fans, who also water down football crowds by reducing outloud cheering and standing up.  I've seen this firsthand at Gillette Stadium.  Women can stay as long as they don't constantly complain about when men stand to cheer out loud.  Two c*nts sitting in seats 1&2 in Section 111 spent the whole game blatantly making fun of me for cheering for the home team then filed a complaint against me in the 3rd quarter which resulted in a security guard keeping me company for the rest of the game at the bottom of our aisle, which is b*llsh*t I don't need at a football game.  Personally, I wouldn't mind if they got breast cancer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

On everything else, I wholeheartedly agree with TexasPat.

Don't make the field wider, reduce hitting, and try to expand the schedule to 18 games.  Instead, stick to the formula as is.

And when you can finally say that you've gotten players to wear all the pads and that the pads are of the best, safest technology possible and this still isn't enough, then you can regulate hitting.

But until every player must use knee, thigh, hip, and butt pads, and until every player has a concussion-reducing mouthpiece and the best helmet available, you can't turn around and say things for the sake of P.R. when the results tell a completely different story.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I think I like the idea of a horse collar tackle!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

breast cancer awareness month?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]I think the whole breast cancer thing shouldn't last all month.  a week or two would suffice.  I think it's a play at female fans, who also water down football crowds by reducing outloud cheering and standing up.  I've seen this firsthand at Gillette Stadium.  Women can stay as long as they don't constantly complain about when men stand to cheer out loud.  Two c*nts sitting in seats 1&2 in Section 111 spent the whole game blatantly making fun of me for cheering for the home team then filed a complaint against me in the 3rd quarter which resulted in a security guard keeping me company for the rest of the game at the bottom of our aisle, which is b*llsh*t I don't need at a football game.  Personally, I wouldn't mind if they got breast cancer.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

I'm qualifying this statement: I think there are a HOST of other issues that the league should also endorse, rather than spending a whole month trying to win over female fans who aren't inclined to a violent sport

They could start with Parkinsons and Alzheimers, like the type that many of the retired players suffer without any kind of significant benefits from the league they painfully helped build

One thing I think Goodell did get right was "Play 60"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Up here in Canada we play a version of football with a wider field (and also a longer field with deeper endzones).  It does open things up for the offense quite a bit. In addition, the defense has to line up a yard back, receivers can be in motion toward the line of scrimmage at the snap, and there's a 12th man which means an additional eligible receiver for the defense to worry about.  All of these things create a lot of offense--so much so that we only give the offense three downs, since with four they'd almost never be stopped.

It's a good variation on the theme and I watch it on Friday nights (and even watched it at 4 pm on Sunday because the Roughrider-Lions playoff game was more interesting to me than any of the NFL matchups at that time), but I still like the NFL with it's greater focus on defense better. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Don't forget the worst thing goodie does, he shows favortism to the hated jests, giants and anything related to new york(he is still on their payroll).

And he picks and chooses to fine players as he pleases, what goes as a big fine for one hit is a no fine for the same hit by someone else, no consistency at all, no common sense and no scruples.

Goodell = bad for the NFL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Is it me or does the defender in the picture look like she's going for inflated object that isn't the football?
    Posted by Evil2010[/QUOTE]

it isn't?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Bring on the future!  YeAH!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Up here in Canada we play a version of football with...".

Well, down Here In AMER-ica, we call our ham, "Ham", and we call our bacon, "Bacon," and there's no two ways about it...  And down here in AMER-ica, we pay EXTRA taxes, and we don't get no fancy smancy "National Healthcare" and "Free Secondary Education."  And ya wanna know what?  We don't WANT it!  If I wanna be st#pid and die early, gahdamnit-I WILL...(even though I have no choice).  But I'll tell'ya something, IF I DID have the choice, I'd CHOOSE to be st#pid and die early regardless...  Why?  I don't freakin' know why, THAT'S Why!  And 1 more thing: IF I can own an assault rifle, then I SHOULD be able to watch my nation's sport's stars get brain damage.  They get paid enough for christ's sake...  And 1 LAST thing: How come there's no great difference in Our Oil Prices verses YOUR Oil Prices, WE'RE the ones invading Opec Nations (the weaker ones)!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Goodell is bad for the NFL! The worst commissioner the league has ever had!
    He has rigged the game of football to give the advantage to the offense. That's not good and it is ruining the league. College football is now more genuine than the NFL. If Goodell has his way the NFL will end up resembling Pro wrestling. The players should make this a big issue in the collective bargaining deal. Defensive player will lose money in the long run if the league goes the direction Goodell wants to take it. The league should allow more contact between WR and CB. They should not call those phony 45 yard pass incompetions that get a flag. I call that the Peyton Manning money play! Aside from obvious holding by the CB , they Refs should let the WR and CB battle for the ball and use arm bar fore arms to gain space. either the WR catches the ball or he dosen't but don't let the Refs decide the game! Also safeties need to be allowed to lay a hit on the Wr coming accross the middle. Period!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]" Up here in Canada we play a version of football with ...". Well, down Here In AMER-ica, we call our ham, "Ham", and we call our bacon, "Bacon," and there's no two ways about it...  And down here in AMER-ica, we pay EXTRA taxes, and we don't get no fancy smancy "National Healthcare" and "Free Secondary Education."  And ya wanna know what?  We don't WANT it!  If I wanna be st#pid and die early, gahdamnit-I WILL...(even though I have no choice).  But I'll tell'ya something, IF I DID have the choice, I'd CHOOSE to be st#pid and die early regardless...  Why?  I don't freakin' know why, THAT'S Why!  And 1 more thing: IF I can own an assault rifle, then I SHOULD be able to watch my nation's sport's stars get brain damage.  They get paid enough for christ's sake...  And 1 LAST thing: How come there's no great difference in Our Oil Prices verses YOUR Oil Prices, WE'RE the ones invading Opec Nations (the weaker ones)!
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Ha!  No one up here quite gets it either . . .  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Poor TP intimidated by the color pink. LMCLAO!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Goodell is bad for the NFL! The worst commissioner the league has ever had! He has rigged the game of football to give the advantage to the offense. That's not good and it is ruining the league. College football is now more genuine than the NFL. If Goodell has his way the NFL will end up resembling Pro wrestling. The players should make this a big issue in the collective bargaining deal. Defensive player will lose money in the long run if the league goes the direction Goodell wants to take it. The league should allow more contact between WR and CB. They should not call those phony 45 yard pass incompetions that get a flag. I call that the Peyton Manning money play! Aside from obvious holding by the CB , they Refs should let the WR and CB battle for the ball and use arm bar fore arms to gain space. either the WR catches the ball or he dosen't but don't let the Refs decide the game! Also safeties need to be allowed to lay a hit on the Wr coming across the middle. Period!
    Posted by RonF[/QUOTE]

Ron...with regards to the PI calls, I'm an advocate of sticking with the NFL rule, where, if the PI violation is flagrant (for example, when a CB tackles the WR or grabs the WR's jersey as the WR is about to haul in the pass). Any and all other less flagrant calls should be denigrated to 5 yard, illegal contact penalties, with automatic first downs.

I'm not so bothered with the league taking steps to create a bit more scoring. After all, we don't want football games reduced to boring soccer matches, where scoring one goal is such a big deal. I'm also not opposed to adjusting the rules to protect defenseless WRs and QBs from getting blown up via spears that the WWE's Edge would be proud of, or the like. But, micro-managing each and every hit is ridiculously subjective, and absurd. 

I am strongly against an 18 game schedule. Watering down the regular season would be bad for the game. The great thing about the NFL is that every regular season game is so important. Compare and contrast that with the NHL or the NBA, where the regular season is nothing more than a prolonged exhibition schedule.

If the league is so concerned about player safety, why expose the players to more chances for injuries...and risk shortening players' careers? A championship team would be forced to play at least 21 games to win a title! In addition, how badly would going to an 18 game schedule skew the record books? For example, one of the great things about baseball is it's consistency over the years...so that fans can compare players from different eras. Going to an 18 game schedule would warp such comparisons in football.

This latest nonsense about widening the field is a complete joke...pushing the game further towards being simply a speed and athleticism duel between the WRs and CBs. The NFL is currently the greatest spectator sport on the planet. The game and it's rules should be tweaked on occasion, not radically overhauled.      

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Poor TP intimidated by the color pink. LMCLAO!!!
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Not when you're wearing it, Gamer!  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goodell Continues His Assault On Pro Football :      Ron...with regards to the PI calls, I'm an advocate of sticking with the NFL rule, where, if the PI violation is flagrant (for example, when a CB tackles the WR or grabs the WR's jersey as the WR is about to haul in the pass). Any and all other less flagrant calls should be denigrated to 5 yard, illegal contact penalties, with automatic first downs.        I'm not so bothered with the league taking steps to create a bit more scoring. After all, we don't want football games reduced to boring soccer matches, where scoring one goal is such a big deal. I'm also not opposed to adjusting the rules to protect defenseless WRs and QBs from getting blown up via spears that the WWE's Edge would be proud of, or the like. But, micro-managing each and every hit is ridiculously subjective, and absurd.       I am strongly against an 18 game schedule. Watering down the regular season would be bad for the game. The great thing about the NFL is that every regular season game is so important. Compare and contrast that with the NHL or the NBA, where the regular season is nothing more than a prolonged exhibition schedule.      If the league is so concerned about player safety, why expose the players to more chances for injuries...and risk shortening players' careers? A championship team would be forced to play at least 21 games to win a title! In addition, how badly would going to an 18 game schedule skew the record books? For example, one of the great things about baseball is it's consistency over the years...so that fans can compare players from different eras. Going to an 18 game schedule would warp such comparisons in football.      This latest nonsense about widening the field is a complete joke...pushing the game closer to where it simply becomes a speed and athleticism duel between the WRs and CBs. The NFL is currently the greatest spectator sport on the planet. The game and it's rules should be tweaked on occasion, not radically overhauled.           
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

TEXASPAT.... You are spot on. Just look at baseball which has watered down the the quality of the product thru expansion and the longer season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What is so magical about the number 16?

If you're so worried about injuries, why not advocate for a return to a 14-game schedule? Or better yet, 12. NFL teams have been playing 20 games since the regular season extended to 14 and there were six "exhibitions." The owners are going to reduce the preseason and go to 18 because that's where the TV money is. They'll probably have to expand the rosters a little and maybe even throw in another bye (which should p*ss off all the fantasy football mooks to no end -- a nice ancillary benefit), but make no mistake -- it's happening.

An expanded schedule will actually introduce yet another competitive element to the season -- the ability to manage a roster and considering matchups as a means to keep your key players healthy. I would think players would be in favor of it, as well, if you consider that it should open up a few more job opportunities. Maybe I'm just an inveterate skeptic, but I don't really believe football fans when they say they don't want more football.