Goodnight to light.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ramsr. Show ramsr's posts

Goodnight to light.....

Everyone should vote to get rid of matt light or sit him down as 2nd line to make room for VOLLMER....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ramsr. Show ramsr's posts

Re: Goodnight to light.....

Your right mvpkiller trade him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

What if Light were to move to RT, is that too difficult a move for a veteran lineman?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

yeah, his ticket is punched to KC or Denver. find another Vollmer though in this years draft, the o-line needs be rebuilt with big speedy linemen who can pass and rush block

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

You have to give the rest of the lineup.

What are you doing at right tackle? You drafting one? what?

There is a reason Vollmer played right and Light stayed at left. Matt can't play right tackle very well.

Light at Left and Vollmer at right is apparently better than Vollmer at Left and either kaczur or Lavoir at right.

That's why they used that combination.

I love when people say this or that but don't have the rest of the plan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Cut or trade Light, draft Kyle Calloway (Iowa 6-7 315, Ferentz connection) in Rd 2 to play RT and make Vollmer the starting LT.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The difference between Light and Vollmer is a palpable one, Vollmer should be protecting the blind side and we should draft another mountain of a tackle for the right side. 

If Light has any value on the open market we should move him, he's a turnstile without tightend help.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

"Cut or trade Light, draft Kyle Calloway (Iowa 6-7 315, Ferentz connection) ..."

I'm hoping BB exploits the Saban connection more than the Ferentz one.  Not necessarily for OL, but overall.  I mean Bama is national champs now, so "Nick, remember when I gave you a job in Cleveland?".  Let's get a stud or 2 out of Bama or the SEC in general.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

posted at 1/14/2010 8:28 PM EST
    First: 3/27/2005
    Last: 1/14/2010
    The difference between Light and Vollmer is a palpable one, Vollmer should be protecting the blind side and we should draft another mountain of a tackle for the right side. 

If Light has any value on the open market we should move him, he's a turnstile without tightend help.

I think he's more like an orange pylon, but maybe we could take a separate poll for that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

nyjoseph,
    I'm sure BB will be in Saban's ear come draft time as he brought a good number of his LSU players in.  Alabama ILB McClain, DT Cody, OG Mike Johnson and CB Javier Arenas are all possibilities, though they may have to trade up to get McClain or Cody.  McClain in particular could be a legit game changing defensive player from day 1. 

He'll also be in Ferentz's ear as he's also a former BB assistant and is known to churn out quality offensive lineman. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

mbeaulieu,

You obviously watch the college game way more than I do.   Is Kyle C rated high as a run-blocker?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Yes, from what I've read he's a tough, aggressive run blocker that fires off the ball and plays to the whistle.  He uses his hands well and plays with a good base with the ability to get to the second level (LB's etc).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I have to admit that, with the apparent "arrival" of Vollmer, Matt may be someone that the team needs to consider trading. He has one of the higher salaries on the team, and his level of play is on the decline.

It kills me to have to say it, because he's my favorite player on the team. I was even able to meet him last spring. To me, being a fan is about loyalty to our players, first and foremost. A lot of people on this forum would make good coaches- they only care about players who make substantial contributions. Losing Matt would bother me more than losing any other player we've lost before, but the time may have come.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

nyjoseph

Kyle Colloway

STRENGTHS

Kyle has excellent size, strength and feet to play his position.  He is a right tackle with a left tackle heart.  By that, I mean he takes pride in pass blocking and protecting his QB.  He is a powerful run blocker and does a very good job blocking in space and moving to the next level.  Most of the time he is not covered up when blocking on passing plays with a TE.  He does not get overpowered when being bull rushed.  Kyle is smart, shows mental stamina and does not get beat by the same move twice if he gets beat at all.  I suspect that once Kyle works out at the combine, he will show enough athletic talent to play left tackle at the next level.  However, even if he does not, Kyle (right now) shows Pro Bowl right tackle skills.   

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

He is stronger than most of the players he plays against right now and does get up too high at times.  He gets a little lazy when pass blocking once he drives his man past his QB and looks to help his line mates out a little too quickly.   All of this is nit picking and can all be corrected. 

BOTTOM LINE

I'm calling him Kyle (Right Away) Calloway because you can draft this kid and plug him into your offensive line at the right tackle position right away.  He can play Right tackle in his sleep, but I believe he could also play the left tackle position also at a very high level.  I will be surprised if by the time the draft comes around he is not considered a top draft choice, but I have been surprised before.  You are talking about an offensive lineman who can pass block, run block, has the athletic agility to go out to the second level and combo block, can move out and block on screen plays and can be used in a pulling system.  What more are you looking for in an offensive lineman?  I suspect that playoffs teams at the end of the first round are going to be salivating over the possibility of drafting this kid.  Kyle's ability to play the left tackle position will dictate where he will be drafted.  Workouts and a demonstration of his ability to switch to the other side will move him up the draft boards.  For me, it won't matter much...he is a first rounder and he will play right away. 

Profile written by thehuddlereport.com back in November, Not by me...

Sounds a lot like Vollmer to me

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Trade Light for a 2nd round pick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Thanks mbeaulieu and low-fb-iq,

Calloway sure sounds like he'd fit the bill.   I want OL and DL in the first 2 rounds in either order. 

The people on this board that continue to defend the 2009 version of Light astound me.

It should be Light's Out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Turne out the Light, the party is over. Get rid of "Door" Matt. Think of how much the Pats can get in return for this "all pro" LT.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

nyjo here you go, this is one of the best sites and one of the more accurate ones on ranking players.  It helps if you want to get crazy about looking at who can come in, but beware it might get to be addicting looking and ranking players

http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/dt.shtml

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

and on light, he's too proud and thinks he is better than he is to accept a move to RT which I'm not sure he could play.  He would face different moves and he himself would be moving opposite to what he's been doing all his career.

Trade him, he's still better than some LTs in the league.  He has some value maybe a late 2nd or even an early 3rd.  I don't think KC will be the team but the Bills need help there

We need to draft another Vollmer for RT I think if Trent Williams falls to 22 he could be a guy that could play RT or even fill that guard spot.  A guy I like in the late 2nd who fills the need is Kyle Calloway, he would open some holes in the running game.  Either guy would help from day 1.  What ever is done I think we all agree we'll have a new LT and RT next season along with a new face at guard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

yeah,,,Suggs went right around him, sacked Brady and got the ball, and the game was over and the rout was on

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Consider this possibility, just for a second.

Kyle Calloway any of these other OLs on your draft websites turn out to be a complete bust in the NFL. 

Would if (and I know it's crazy to think this) your college scouting abilities are not perfect.  Neither are the abilities of the men who run these sites - and obviously don't work for the NFL?  Maybe grabbing a starting RT in the 2nd round is not as easy as it seems on this board.

Matt Light has 1 year left on his contract for about $4.5m.  At this point in his career he might have to move from the LT spot - be it for the Pats or any other team he plays for.  Move him to RT and draft an OL in the 2nd round.  If the guy they grab turns out to be a keeper, then they can move him in after next season.  If not they can see if they want to resign Light to a cheaper contract or find someone else. 

But at sort money they have Light, cutting him and HOPING they find another Seabass in the 2nd isn't smart.  I also don't think that a 33 year old Light with only 1 year remaining on his contract will garner a 2nd round choice if traded. Would you pay a 2nd for Light? No? Then why would anyone else?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

bobomul, 
    I don't think anyone is implying that any potential draft prospect discussed is a guarantee, if so, then that's a bit naive.  With that being said, I think most posters have confidence in the ability of BB and staff to draft and develop. 

Regardless of if they part way with Light or not, I think an injection of youth and talent needs to be and will be brought in.  Personally I don't have the confidence in Light to man the left side anymore and I don't know how he or the staff view a potential move to the right side.

The $4.5M may be better allocated somewhere else.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

Thanks pats7393.

Bobomul (and others) - You are obviously correct that there is no guarantee in the draft.  They could draft someone worse than Light.  But here is the key - that person does not have to play LT.  We know right now that Seabass is a better LT at this point than Light.  That should not even be a point of discussion.  Maybe they draft a LT that could also play a different OL position if he is not stronger at LT than Seabass.

Here is what I know in my heart.  If Light continues to play LT he will put Brady out of action for good.  People that talk about our low sack totals this year sometimes forget that Light was out a good while, and Seabass handled the position.  Don't look at the dollar value of Light's contract.  Look at the value of Brady to the team.  Because if Light lets one more semi through the toll booth Brady is going to get flattened.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

btownteamsrking, we cant get a 2nd for Light, maybe on a good trade a 4th.