Grade by pick...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Grade by pick...

I would give the Pats a B-, and looks like that's what Reiss thinks too.

Round: 1, Pick: 29 (Overall: 29)

Traded pick to Vikings in exchange for second-rounder (52), third-rounder (83), fourth-rounder (102) and seventh-rounder (229): Ed Hochuli might throw a penalty flag for a false start for grading a trade before it's known what the Patriots do with the picks they received in return. Fair enough. That's why we'll play this one right down the middle for now, noting that the Patriots positioned themselves well in a draft where the depth through the second round, and in the eyes of some the third round, is the strength. In terms of the picks themselves, the Patriots received more in return than was expected. Now it's a matter of them capitalizing on the picks.

A-
    Collins

Round: 2, Pick: 20 (Overall: 52)

Jamie Collins, DE/OLB, Southern Miss: One of the most explosive athletes in the draft, Collins can help in a variety of roles -- rushing the passer, dropping into coverage and even covering kicks. With the game of football being played in space now more than ever before, it puts a premium on athletes who might not fit a specific position, but can do a variety of things. That seems to be reflective of this pick. Hard to argue with adding a top athlete on defense.

B
    Dobson

Round: 2, Pick: 27 (Overall: 59)

Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall: The Patriots address one of their greatest needs with one of the bigger outside receivers in the draft. There were three receivers selected between the time the Patriots traded the 29th pick and selected Dobson at 59 -- Cordarrelle Patterson (31st, Rams), Justin Hunter (34th, Titans),Robert Woods (41st overall) -- and comparing them to Dobson will be part of determining the success of this pick. For now, it looks solid.

B
    Logan Ryan

Round: 3, Pick: 21 (Overall: 83)

Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers: The Pro Football Weekly draft preview rated Ryan as a top-50 pick, and to get him at 83 appears to be solid value. Teams can never have enough cornerbacks, and Ryan's strong tackling and ball skills could help on defense, while his immediate contributions figure to come on special teams. The Patriots have a solid depth chart at an important position which should help them withstand the inevitable injuries that will come up over the course of the season.

B+
    Harmon

Round: 3, Pick: 29 (Overall: 91)

Duron Harmon, safety, Rutgers: While the Patriots get a solid mark for the Ryan pick because they picked him later than he was projected to go, this pick represents the opposite end of the spectrum. Harmon probably would have been available later in the draft. He could become a core special-teamer and future center-field type at safety, but a late third-round pick seems too early to be thinking along those lines.

D
    Boyce

Round: 4, Pick: 5 (Overall: 102)

Josh Boyce, WR, TCU: At this stage in the draft, a team is looking for some special traits that could be harnessed and Boyce has a few important things going for him -- good size, speed and smarts. He's been plagued by some drops, and didn't always rise up against top competition, but there is a nice foundation to work with here at a position of need.

B+
    Buchanan

Round: 7, Pick: 20 (Overall: 226)

Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB, Illinois: The more pass-rushing options, the better. Had Buchanan come out after his junior season, chances are he wouldn't have slipped to the seventh round. When picking late in the draft, these are the types of players that can be sound investments because the potential payoff is great. If it doesn't pan out, there is little lost.

B
    Blount

Round: 7, Pick: 23 (Overall: 229)

Traded pick and RB Jeff Demps to Buccaneers for RBLeGarrette Blount: The Patriots use the seventh-round pick they acquired from the Vikings to acquire Blount, and they were apparently moving away from Demps anyway, so the cost is minimal. On paper, given Blount's production and hard-charging style, it seems like a reasonable deal. The only hesitation is on Blount's fit in the locker room as he's run into some trouble on and off the field. The Patriots, as they do with all players, will give him a clean slate, but can he take advantage?

B-
    Beauharnais

Round: 7, Pick: 29 (Overall: 235)

Steve Beauharnais, LB, Rutgers: Beauharnais will likely have to carve out a role on special teams to earn a roster spot, but with Brandon Spikes entering the final year of his contract, feeding the developmental pipeline makes sense. Beauharnais is considered a smart, physical player who lines up in multiple spots. Those are traits the Patriots have long valued.

B

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Re: Grade by pick...

Never a fan of Polian, but listening to his comments during the draft was interesting and informative. He really was able to take you inside the draft room and help you to understand what goes on. He pointed out the "could have got him later in the draft" and said if a team sees a player they want and they can get him they will take him. Maybe that is why the Patriots took Harmon when they did.

No grades- because I certainly don't feel I'm qualified and I feel they are demeaning to players and teams. especially from people who never played the game ie-Mel Kiper Jr.

Duron Harmon, safety, Rutgers: While the Patriots get a solid mark for the Ryan pick because they picked him later than he was projected to go, this pick represents the opposite end of the spectrum. Harmon probably would have been available later in the draft. He could become a core special-teamer and future center-field type at safety, but a late third-round pick seems too early to be thinking along those lines.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I'm sure Polian shot a few blanks in his days too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think they made the Harmon pick when they did because they decided they wanted him and didn't think there was great value at that point in the draft anyway.  It's a nice vote of confidence for the kid and probably was designed as much to help the dynamic between Ryan and Harmon (who I think they looked at as a pair rather than an individual) than anything else.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think they made the Harmon pick when they did because they decided they wanted him and didn't think there was great value at that point in the draft anyway.  It's a nice vote of confidence for the kid and probably was designed as much to help the dynamic between Ryan and Harmon (who I think they looked at as a pair rather than an individual) than anything else.  

Agree.  I think BB drafted them as a pair who have great communication and trust.  I'm not saying that this was the right or wrong move at the time, but the value was all over the map at that point.  The pick before us, Denver took a CB who was rated by the "experts" as a 6th or 7th round talent.  BB obviously has a role in mind for Harmon if he was willing to draft him there.  I he might be a Gregory replacement.  Personally, I would have taken Shamarko Thomas from Syracuse there, but even he fell into the 4th round for a reason.  One thing I will never fault BB for is going after a guy who he really believes in.  I didn't like the "value" of the pick any more than anyone else, but I'd much rather have BB reach for a guy who he loves and who he sees a role for than pass on him and lose him because he is worried about what us fans and Mel Kiper will think.  I have a hunch that Harmon will help this team next season, and from a late 3rd rounder, that's all you can really ask.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

Never a fan of Polian, but listening to his comments during the draft was interesting and informative. He really was able to take you inside the draft room and help you to understand what goes on. He pointed out the "could have got him later in the draft" and said if a team sees a player they want and they can get him they will take him. Maybe that is why the Patriots took Harmon when they did.

No grades- because I certainly don't feel I'm qualified and I feel they are demeaning to players and teams. especially from people who never played the game ie-Mel Kiper Jr.

Polian was raving on day 2 how great the jest draft was.  Kind of made me laugh a little