Great Article on Patriots' Second Half Woes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Great Article on Patriots' Second Half Woes

mighty...why exactly am I a troll? because I speak the truth, or because I speak the truth and you don't like it?

Are my thoughts on Moss incorrect?
    What about my thoughts on Brady? if you don't believe he has accuracy issues on the long ball, I suggest you listen to his press conference from earlier in the week.
    Did Brady not have multiple interception games that were important ones? What about the playoff game against Baltimore last year?....What about the road losses from last year, in Denver?....

Just trying to understand why you tag me with the Troll picture. I am starting to think that perhaps you are rusty in disguise.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Great Article on Patriots' Second Half Woes:
    [QUOTE]I completely agree with Texas' premise, but I would point to the 2006 AFC championship game as the turning point. It's true that Brady didn't have many comeback opportunities, but do you guys remember how he played in the playoffs in 2007? He was awful against the Bolts in the AFC championship game, and how many points did they score about the Giants in the super bowl? He didn't look like the confident QB to me. There is certainly an issue here. It's easy to blame O'C, but O'C can't force Brady to throw to an open WR over Moss. With all the statistical arguments out the window, how has the team performed in the clutch? If Brady gets the credit for the super bowl years, then he deserves some blame now. You can't have it both ways.
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

Actually its easier to blame Brady then it would be to actually do your homework and identify exact scenarios of what is happening to this team in the 2nd half. Are we using 6 linemen to protect against a blitz that isn't coming? Yes we are. What does this do? Well it leaves 2 linemen on the field not being used and 6-7 defenders to cover 3-4 receiving options.Are we runnint out of the same formations every time? Yes we are. I know it sounds crazy to think that BJGE and 34 year old Fred Taylor would be stuffed at the line but its happening. I know it sounds crazy that Wes Welker coming off a torn ACL would have trouble shredding the double team but he is. Watch the game again. I will give you exact minute marks to prove my points. Edelman covered up. Hernandez 2nd half swallowed.  Moss's INT aren't you supposed to be in front of a corner? Never let the defender beat you? Did Brady overthrow Moss or did Moss under run the route? I am not saying Bradey can do no wrong but the fact remains we couldn't run the ball. We couldn't get guys open past 3 yards. We couldn't figure out what they were doing differently on defense. I will say maybe Brady could have audibled to the run more but shouldn't that come from coaching adjustments on the sideline as well?  Who is the offensive co. that Brady has a repertoire with? I know Belichick is coaching the defense on the sideline while the offense is on the field.

I'm interested as to why you think the 06 afc game was the turning point? Why stop there? We haven't won a SB since 2004 so isn't that the real point in when Brady stopped being a clutch player by your estimation? IMO opinion clutch play in the 4rth qtr revolves around players being where they are supposed to be and guys not making mistakes. Everybody. Not just the QB. We are as young as we have ever been. Guys run wrong routes. linemen blow assignments. Young coaches miss things. Its just how it goes.

How bad did Tom play in the 1st half?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]mighty...why exactly am I a troll? because I speak the truth, or because I speak the truth and you don't like it? Are my thoughts on Moss incorrect? What about my thoughts on Brady? if you don't believe he has accuracy issues on the long ball, I suggest you listen to his press conference from earlier in the week. Did Brady not have multiple interception games that were important ones? What about the playoff game against Baltimore last year?....What about the road losses from last year, in Denver?.... Just trying to understand why you tag me with the Troll picture. I am starting to think that perhaps you are rusty in disguise.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

If you aren't just a troll trying to diss Brady then I am sorry, that's how you came across.  If you need reassurance that you still have the best QB in the league, visit the Football Outsiders link I provided.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great Article on Patriots' Second Half Woes :      Champ...it's just time for us to agree to disagree on this. I have my opinion, you have yours, and, frankly, I hope you're right, and that I'm dead wrong. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Tex as usual you're right on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

maybe his job is no longer #1 for Tom?  Maybe his marriage/family are #1.  Financial independence and nurturing his 'brand' are #2... who knows where winning a game once a week is on the list.  Lots of guys will attest that they just can't achieve as much at work once wife and kids enter the picture. Fact of life.  Add to the mix the disappointment of 2007 SB, the injury and constant risk of injury, home and family are 3000 miles away, you don't need the money.  Who can expect that level of performance to continue?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Poor execution for sure. In 2007, all Brady had to do was heave the rock in the general direction of Moss and he would catch it...see the Miami game as evidence. Problem is, Randy is not the same guy he was 3 years ago. He can't separate as well, can't get the lift he use to, doesn't have the speed he use to. Plus, Brady seems to be off in terms of accuracy. Lots of underthrown or overthrown balls. Couple all this with decision making and playcalling and you have a recipe for trouble. I can't believe all of a sudden Brady's decision making ability went away. But we have seen it time and time again over the course of the last couple of years, where he throws multiple picks in clutch games where traditionally, TB has made his bones. So what gives? Is it lack of receivers, is he over targeting Wes and Randy, is playcalling too predictive, lack of run game to keep the defenses we face honest?....I can't put my finger on it, but perhaps it's all of the above. 
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Interesting you say that because Brady threw for over 3300 yards and 27 tds to guys not named Randy Moss in 2007.(Better then most QB's entire seasons) Why you ask? Because we were a much better team and Brady hadn't torn every ligament in his knee yet. We also had McD Weiss's understudy to call plays.

To your 2nd point, perhaps you didn't see Moss separate from Revis and a safety that were running stride for stride with him on one of first plays of the game. Or maybe you didn't see him burn the best corner in the league for a a TD....Oh wait that's right Revis is.......hurt.

Finally to your last point I agree it is a combination of many things.  I noticed when Brady under threw Gronk which in my opinion was his only bad throw of the game he did not step into the throw and the line was being pushed back towards him. This could be a factor on his deep balls as well. That knee injury is devastating to most QBs. Brady did pretty well last year though so I think he'll be better this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

The '06 game could be the turning point because that's the first time they lost a big game like that. Before they found ways to win. Now they find ways to lose. Disagree?  

Do my homework? I'm just not impressed with the intangibles that TB has brought to the table the last 18 games. Are you? He's playing like Manning in the early 00's, including the pouting and whining on the field. Great numbers, but not a lot of rings. I'd rather have Brady in 06 with a crappy receiver corp than what I'm seeing now. He's the freakin QB of the team, and he's talking about he needed to do a better job leading last year? Does that inspire confidence? 

I have Brady on both my fantasy teams. I'm a huge Brady fan, but I have eyes. I don't notice the same leader I saw before. He used to overcome adversity and a lack of talent around him, now we have people blaming the OC when he has one of the greatest WR of all time. i just wonder if he lost his ability to play in the clutch. 

Who knows? Maybe this O has screwed up his head. I'm not questioning his effort, but the results haven't been there. He's the face of the franchise, and like it or not he's open to criticism if this team continues to crap the bed in the second half. 

Calling people trolls for questioning the leader of a team that has wilted is weak. in fact, I question anyone's objectivity who thinks there's no issue. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great Article on Patriots' Second Half Woes : Actually its easier to blame Brady then it would be to actually do your homework and identify exact scenarios of what is happening to this team in the 2nd half. Are we using 6 linemen to protect against a blitz that isn't coming? Yes we are. What does this do? Well it leaves 2 linemen on the field not being used and 6-7 defenders to cover 3-4 receiving options.Are we runnint out of the same formations every time? Yes we are. I know it sounds crazy to think that BJGE and 34 year old Fred Taylor would be stuffed at the line but its happening. I know it sounds crazy that Wes Welker coming off a torn ACL would have trouble shredding the double team but he is. Watch the game again. I will give you exact minute marks to prove my points. Edelman covered up. Hernandez 2nd half swallowed.  Moss's INT aren't you supposed to be in front of a corner? Never let the defender beat you? Did Brady overthrow Moss or did Moss under run the route? I am not saying Bradey can do no wrong but the fact remains we couldn't run the ball. We couldn't get guys open past 3 yards. We couldn't figure out what they were doing differently on defense. I will say maybe Brady could have audibled to the run more but shouldn't that come from coaching adjustments on the sideline as well?  Who is the offensive co. that Brady has a repertoire with? I know Belichick is coaching the defense on the sideline while the offense is on the field. I'm interested as to why you think the 06 afc game was the turning point? Why stop there? We haven't won a SB since 2004 so isn't that the real point in when Brady stopped being a clutch player by your estimation? IMO opinion clutch play in the 4rth qtr revolves around players being where they are supposed to be and guys not making mistakes. Everybody. Not just the QB. We are as young as we have ever been. Guys run wrong routes. linemen blow assignments. Young coaches miss things. Its just how it goes. How bad did Tom play in the 1st half?
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I haven't called anybody a troll. I'm sorry if questioning Texas's Pat over the top statement has ignited a fire in some on this forum. Texas said that he has been saying ever since 07 that Brady can't let go of that SB and it could be that he is no longer clutch or something like that. I say the facts are he missed 08. He was recovering last year from the worst injury you can have. Agreed? He still put up top 5 #s in the league. I'm not using stats to gauge how effective he was, I'm only saying that he obviously worked his tail off to be able to play that well.  We signed Galloway as our #3 wr. He was cut a few weeks later. We had very little options to pass the ball to. No Faurias,Grahams,Gaffneys,Pattens,Givens. Agreed? On top of that our coaching staff was without some key figures who have learned under BB during the decade. I would say these reasons coupled with the departures of KEY SB CHAMPIONSHIP defensive players are the reason we struggled in 2nd halves of last year. When Brady starts throwing up 3000 yard 21 td seasons AND we go 10-6 I will start questioning his skill level.

Now I say all that to say this, If Brady can put up #s like he did in the 1st half against the Jets why do you think he couldn't make the same throws under the same play calling? You think Brady who is perhaps the greatest pressure QB of all time suddenly chokes under pressure? Or would you say a more accurate depiction would be that young coaches and young players (on offense particularly) are having trouble adjusting to good defenses(most of our losses were against good teams in 09)?

Were guys open in the 1st half and Brady hit them and then suddenly they were open in the 2nd half and he couldn't find them? Sounds strange to me.

To your 06 AFC game point. I would say that when Tom puts up 34 points on a team with Reche Caldwell as his #1 receiver then he did his job. 100% on the defense in that game. Can't see the correlation of Brady's downfall being the 06 game? Or the 07 SB as Texas Pat suggests. I can't understand why a Patriot fan would ever think that given Bradys performance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I love Brady as much as the next guy. He is truly one of the best QB's ever, and we are lucky to have him. I'm just trying to understand the Pats 2nd half meltdowns like the next guy. After all, that is the point of this particular posting. 

The article is titled, "Patriots 2nd Half Woes"...So, it's not a fabrication that the Pats struggle in the 2nd half of games. It's well documented and statistically proven. The big question that I'm trying to understand and perhaps even answer is WHY? 

I know it doesn't all rest on TB's shoulders. You guys make plenty of good points about young WR's/TE's not adjusting to defenses, Moss underrunning routes, line protection, too many lineman for too few blitzers. The point is, there are problems and they are wide and deep. I think it all starts with the offensive playcalling, ingame adjustments and TB audibles at the line. That to me is the strategy side of it. If any 1 of those 3 things aren't happening properly, that signals the beginning of the meltdown in performance. Then comes the execution. If young players are not adjusting routes, or picking up blitzers or finding soft spots in zones, then it comes down to poor execution. If TB is not recognizing how a defense is lined up, how it will attack, then doesn't adjust and reset the offense...or tries to force balls into very tight coverages and they get intercepted, then that is on him. 

Look, plenty of blame to go around. I start with the OC first, then Brady, then the rest of the offense in terms of how they individually execute. To me, that is the chain of blame..from strategy to execution. Something has been amiss for sometime, and I think it preceeds O'Brien, but O'Brien not having a ton of OC experience under his belt doesn't help as well. 

And that is just the offensive side of the ball...Bottomline, the offense has to score 2nd half points, they have to do a better job at protecting the ball, they have to convert on 3rd downs in the 2nd half, they can't adandon the run, and they have to keep the young D off the field as much as possible. Our best defense this year is going to be a good offense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I apologize, my comment wasn't really pointed at you but the other people who are quick to label true fans trolls if she disagree with the consensus. That's weak.

I have no clue why they're struggling, I just know Brady hasn't put this team on his back and carried it to victory in the last 18 games. Do you disagree with that? He's had some games with great numbers, but can you remember a game where he WON the game? I'm thinking of games like in '03 against Chicago (when they played at the University of Ill), his third start in the NFL against the Chargers (the Doug Flutie game). Games like that made Brady who he was. I'll even throw the Matt Cassel/NY Jets game out there even though they didn't win that game. The QB of this team hasn't led the team like that in the last 18 games, and they need him to take over more than ever. 

Again, I have no clue why this is happening. It could be 100% Bill O'Brien, but I really question the thought that Belichick produced such an incompetent OC. He's the same guy who developed Josh McDaniels. I also think OC's have a marginal effect. How many OC's did Bledsoe have? Did any of them make a difference? 

I just want this team to win an important game in a clutch manner. Dropping that game to the Jets made me throw up in my mouth. I Just want this crap to be figured out because I think this team actually has a ton of talent with this great rookie and second year class. 

[QUOTE]I haven't called anybody a troll. I'm sorry if questioning Texas's Pat over the top statement has ignited a fire in some on this forum. Texas said that he has been saying ever since 07 that Brady can't let go of that SB and it could be that he is no longer clutch or something like that. I say the facts are he missed 08. He was recovering last year from the worst injury you can have. Agreed? He still put up top 5 #s in the league. I'm not using stats to gauge how effective he was, I'm only saying that he obviously worked his tail off to be able to play that well.  We signed Galloway as our #3 wr. He was cut a few weeks later. We had very little options to pass the ball to. No Faurias,Grahams,Gaffneys,Pattens,Givens. Agreed? On top of that our coaching staff was without some key figures who have learned under BB during the decade. I would say these reasons coupled with the departures of KEY SB CHAMPIONSHIP defensive players are the reason we struggled in 2nd halves of last year. When Brady starts throwing up 3000 yard 21 td seasons AND we go 10-6 I will start questioning his skill level. Now I say all that to say this, If Brady can put up #s like he did in the 1st half against the Jets why do you think he couldn't make the same throws under the same play calling? You think Brady who is perhaps the greatest pressure QB of all time suddenly chokes under pressure? Or would you say a more accurate depiction would be that young coaches and young players (on offense particularly) are having trouble adjusting to good defenses(most of our losses were against good teams in 09)? Were guys open in the 1st half and Brady hit them and then suddenly they were open in the 2nd half and he couldn't find them? Sounds strange to me. To your 06 AFC game point. I would say that when Tom puts up 34 points on a team with Reche Caldwell as his #1 receiver then he did his job. 100% on the defense in that game. Can't see the correlation of Brady's downfall being the 06 game? Or the 07 SB as Texas Pat suggests. I can't understand why a Patriot fan would ever think that given Bradys performance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FourthRing. Show FourthRing's posts

It is because Brady's ego since throwing 50 TDs has gone out of control.  He thinks he can get them out of any situation with a throw.  He can't, he used to be part of a system, now he thinks he is the offense. 

Look at Reiss' stat 53% rushing in the 4th for the glory years, now it's in the 30s.  They were running pretty well against the Jets last week, and then Brady just started chucking it up top to Randy.  The second int was inexcusable.  The entire middle of the field was open all day. 

I think everyone is scared to tell him to start thinking about winning and stop thinking about reliving 2007.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Thank god we have True Champ posting on here who  looks at what's happening on the field , has the expertise to analyze it , then posts a rational point of view of what the problems could be other than Brady's no longer a clutch quarterback who no longer has the fire to carry this team on his back.  If he didn't care he'd quit, he certainly has enough money to do that.

I'm beginning to think Texas Pat is a fair weather fan, who enjoys giving "F s" unless the team plays perfectly in his own mind. BTW how can anyone post a report card 1 hour after the game is over. Even dirtbag Borges waits at least a day. I always think it's comical when people who have never played in the NFL t post report cards.

The team is having growing pains, it's going to take time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]Thank god we have True Champ posting on here who  looks at what's happening on the field , has the expertise to analyze it , then posts a rational point of view of what the problems could be other than Brady's no longer a clutch quarterback who no longer has the fire to carry this team on his back.  If he didn't care he'd quit, he certainly has enough money to do that. I'm beginning to think Texas Pat is a fair weather fan, who enjoys giving "F s" unless the team plays perfectly in his own mind. BTW how can anyone post a report card 1 hour after the game is over. Even dirtbag Borges waits at least a day. I always think it's comical when people who have never played in the NFL t post report cards. The team is having growing pains, it's going to take time.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Seriously.  Aren't report cards usually given out by someone who is actually good at the subject?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

It's easy to dump on him bc you disagree, but do you really think it's 100% coaching? That's ultimately an indictment on Belichick, who is just as sacred as Brady. 

There's no reason to call people trolls if they disagree with your viewpoint. I don't understand how the QB of this team can be shielded from criticism.  

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great Article on Patriots' Second Half Woes : Seriously.  Aren't report cards usually given out by someone who is actually good at the subject?
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Thank god we have True Champ posting on here who  looks at what's happening on the field , has the expertise to analyze it , then posts a rational point of view of what the problems could be other than Brady's no longer a clutch quarterback who no longer has the fire to carry this team on his back.  If he didn't care he'd quit, he certainly has enough money to do that. I'm beginning to think Texas Pat is a fair weather fan, who enjoys giving "F s" unless the team plays perfectly in his own mind. BTW how can anyone post a report card 1 hour after the game is over. Even dirtbag Borges waits at least a day. I always think it's comical when people who have never played in the NFL t post report cards. The team is having growing pains, it's going to take time.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Thanks Gamer, I just can't believe people are so quick to point to Brady as the problem. To me that's the easy way out. I think Texas has some great things to say but I too wonder where he comes up with some things. It is probably him just being a hardcore Pats fan like the rest of us and a loss sets him off. I know I say some degrading things about the Pats when we lose, but nothing so outrageous as, "Brady can't get over the 07 SB? I just don't get it? It is an opinionated statement based on things out of Brady's control(Destroyed knee,loss of defensive core, loss of strong coordinators etc.) ?

I like your last point. Growing Pains. I agree and think that is exactly what we are seeing with this young offense,young defense and young coaching staff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I apologize, my comment wasn't really pointed at you but the other people who are quick to label true fans trolls if she disagree with the consensus. That's weak. I have no clue why they're struggling, I just know Brady hasn't put this team on his back and carried it to victory in the last 18 games. Do you disagree with that? He's had some games with great numbers, but can you remember a game where he WON the game? I'm thinking of games like in '03 against Chicago (when they played at the University of Ill), his third start in the NFL against the Chargers (the Doug Flutie game). Games like that made Brady who he was. I'll even throw the Matt Cassel/NY Jets game out there even though they didn't win that game. The QB of this team hasn't led the team like that in the last 18 games, and they need him to take over more than ever.  Again, I have no clue why this is happening. It could be 100% Bill O'Brien, but I really question the thought that Belichick produced such an incompetent OC. He's the same guy who developed Josh McDaniels. I also think OC's have a marginal effect. How many OC's did Bledsoe have? Did any of them make a difference?  I just want this team to win an important game in a clutch manner. Dropping that game to the Jets made me throw up in my mouth. I Just want this crap to be figured out because I think this team actually has a ton of talent with this great rookie and second year class.  In Response to Re: Great Article on Patriots' Second Half Woes :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

No harm no foul brother. To your question I actually do disagree with that. I think given the team we had last year, we do not win more then 5 or 6 games without Tom Brady. Brady came back from the worst injury a guy can have with a heavily depleted offensive and defensive unit and still won 10 games. In a legitimate rebuilding year I think we overachieved. Until our young team comes together I don't think we'll see too many great finish's in the 2nd halves of games. I do not put this on Brady. I kind of put it on BB in a small way because:

Belichick is trying to develop his next set of coordinators and rebuilding a team while staying competitive. This is not his fault but we have a window of opportunity to win another Sb with Tom Brady and the window is closing. I wish BB had brought back Weiss or RAC. I think this would have helped us a great deal to win more games THIS YEAR. I don't like trading a guy like MAroney for another pick(when our RB core was so old) that we don't need and I don't really like not taking higher picks in the draft like(Clay Mathews) and too many players that would fit our team now. With that said BB is the best and I'm sure he has a plan. I just wish that plan was geared more towards this year then it was next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I agree tp has some great posts, and I always enjoy reading them, but I don't like report cards, never have, never will and he knows how I feel about them --not that he really gives a darn and that's ok. But Geez if he lived in Boston we'd be pulling him off the Zikam.

The entire organization has been raided, coordinators, front office and players. It has to have an effect no manner how many times BB says others have to step up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Personally, I believe its the defense.  Used to be that after the half, the defense would make the opposing offense go three and out on a regular basis and that was prior to 2007.  In 2007, the team began to emphasize offense much more and the defense began it's slow decline. 

Now the defense can't get off the field, long drives ensue, the offense sits and goes cold, (not temperature cold), but cold in the sense that they're spectators not participants for long periods of time.  Now of course if the opposing defense can then make the pats go three and out, another long drive ensues, offense sitting down gets colder still.  When they come back, they now begin to face the desperate scenario.  I believe that Brady can still bring them back.  They were in the JETS red zone with something like 8 - 6 minutes to go and what happens?  Matt Light misses his assignment and Brady gets strip sacked.  That's not on Brady, that's on Light and it kills what was an effective drive that would have provided options to at least tie the game.  Oh well..... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think we have a fundamental disagreement, which is fine. Either way it's good to talk with knowledgeable fans who care.

I think we can both want the Pats to hoist another trophy, which is the most important thing to agree on.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great Article on Patriots' Second Half Woes : No harm no foul brother. To your question I actually do disagree with that. I think given the team we had last year, we do not win more then 5 or 6 games without Tom Brady. Brady came back from the worst injury a guy can have with a heavily depleted offensive and defensive unit and still won 10 games. In a legitimate rebuilding year I think we overachieved. Until our young team comes together I don't think we'll see too many great finish's in the 2nd halves of games. I do not put this on Brady. I kind of put it on BB in a small way because: Belichick is trying to develop his next set of coordinators and rebuilding a team while staying competitive. This is not his fault but we have a window of opportunity to win another Sb with Tom Brady and the window is closing. I wish BB had brought back Weiss or RAC. I think this would have helped us a great deal to win more games THIS YEAR. I don't like trading a guy like MAroney for another pick(when our RB core was so old) that we don't need and I don't really like not taking higher picks in the draft like(Clay Mathews) and too many players that would fit our team now. With that said BB is the best and I'm sure he has a plan. I just wish that plan was geared more towards this year then it was next year.