Great news from the NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Great news from the NFL

it's going to have the competition committee look into Teams resting players for end of season games!! NO really, Bill Polian who has a strangle hold on the NFL is going to have input into this decision! Gee wonder what the outcome of this will be!! Can't believe Mr. Goody is too pleased about the negative reaction to the Colts benching players and the fans not getting their money's worth. Remember how pleased he was when the Patriots and Giants played to the end in "07.

This will go no where and I don't think it should, it has to be up to the teams to make those decisions

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Re: Great news from the NFL

Agreed. All this talk about letting up at the end of the season is absurd. Look at our team, for instance. They do whatever they want, AS LONG AS IT HELPS THE TEAM. If that means resting players, so be it.

It stinks to see the Jets, most likely, get into the playoffs because their last two opponents conceded the games. But it is what it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Polian is a phenomenal deuschebag, but you're right about this NE. The league should not be legislating coaches decisions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Indiana: I would much prefer the Jets to make the playoffs and be a 1 and done team - hate to see them get a hight draft pick..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The article states that they talked about it in 2005 and came to the current conclusion that a teams need to prepare for the postseason is just as important as protecting some other teams playoff opportunity. Which I totally agree with.

But it seems the NFL is missing the point again. Fans shouldn't be in an uproar about the potential impact to the playoffs. If there are, they haven't been watching the NFL too long because it has always been that way. And the NFL shouldn't bother with even addressing that point because it is ludicrous.

The point the NFL should focus on is a team quitting when history might be made. I will concede that it is the team's decision, but in this specific case, they should make an plaque for the team that most screwed the fans and let the fans "present" it to Polian and Caldwell in some alley in Indianapolis.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

1 Question..What if the NFL Forces a team to play their Stars, such as the Pats? Brady Plays the whole game and gets hurt at the end. I can't help but think this is just an empty gesture to appease everyone that the Colts P!$$ed off by tanking that game.
    This is bordering upon Big brother stuff and the teams need to make their own decisions and then deal with the results.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shapleighme. Show shapleighme's posts

Just a thought---since Peyton is so valuable and the Colts don't want to risk an injury to him (the Jets game) shouldn't he be deactivated for the Bills game.

Wouldn't he be liable for an injury if he played. 

Just goes to hi-lite the falacy of Polian's position.

Sure looks like playoff position manipulation to me.

The Competition Committee is going to look into this (the Jets game)---surprise Polian is on the Competition Committee!!!   Nothing will be done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Gamer, you stated that: 

"it's going to have the competition committee look into Teams resting players for end of season games!! NO really, Bill Polian who has a strangle hold on the NFL is going to have input into this decision! Gee wonder what the outcome of this will be!! Can't believe Mr. Goody is too pleased about the negative reaction to the Colts benching players and the fans not getting their money's worth. Remember how pleased he was when the Patriots and Giants played to the end in "07."

"This will go no where and I don't think it should, it has to be up to the teams to make those decisions"

RESPONSE: Teams which have clinched playoff spots have been resting players for years. So, why is there now the outrage by "Jets" Goodell, and the sudden desire for the NFL to review this practice? Because this "issue" stems solely from the disgraceful, cowardly decision by Rules Committee Czar Polian to sit Peyton down in the final 20 minutes of Indy's 29-15 loss to the NY Jets. Indy fans are still understandably up in arms over their lovables passing on perfection.  

A promise of an "investigation" is nothing more than an attempt by the league to get the heat off the Colts. The  NFL wants, and projects, the Colts as their "flagship franchise". By promising to take action, the NFL is attempting to paint this issue as a league-wide problem...when in fact it only became an issue when its' "glamour team" showed themselves to be the wimps, that they truly are.  

Where was the outcry for an "investigation" for teams tanking games last year, when the 11-5 Patriots failed to make the play-offs?

Your lovely photo, as always, illuminates the pages of our forum. Happy New Year, Gamer!!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Teams have various ways of protecting their stars on the field.  Hike the ball and take a knee three times.  It doesn't make for gripping football games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The worst problem is with the last game of the season.  So,

1.  Make the last game count as the tiebreaker when two divisional teams play head to head at the end of the season.  Push this random strength of victory stuff down the tiebreaker list.

2.  Always pre-schedule last year's #1 versus #2 teams in each division for the last game of the season, and the #3 versus #4 teams also.  That good Baltimore-Pittsburgh tilt could have been this week, for all the marbles and with no Woodley whine.  For more fun, plan week 16 as the #1 versus #3 and #2 versus #4 week.   This would have made for a good Vikings-Packers tilt in week 16.  These plans wouldn't have helped the Cowboys-Eagles as they were #2 and #3 in their division last year.  Oh well. 

This wouldn't solve all of the bogus week 17 game problems, but it would help.

Nothing will help the incestuous relationship between Bill Polian and the refs. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

get over it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Paul - It isn't broken. There is no need to fix it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Hey TP, thank you. Do you think there may be a clash between Goodell and Polian??   I would say neither likes what the other has done and I'm sure Na-Polian does not like more attention being brought to this issue.This could get interesting, maybe this will be the year some changes are made on the competition committee. I feel this was a slap in the face to the Colts organization, not so sure Goodell wants the heat off, if fact I think he wants it on. He can't allow fans to become more disgruntled than they already are and remember the Colts fans are objecting to paying for and expecting to see the team go for a win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

Maybe someone from the league could explain to NaPolian that week 18 is their by week and a perfect time to rest their players while not F*cking with the integrity of the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Do you think there may be a clash between Goodell and Polian?? 

I think two ginger-haired men in battle would kind of creep me out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

There is another angle to look at.  The league is considering expanding to 18 games.  Surely, they only want to do that for extra TV revenue.  Currently, a lot of the last games of the season are trash games barely better than preseason. They probably have poor ratings.   Basically, anyone who's already knocked out of the playoffs or anyone whose playoff position is secured has little reason to play good and hard.  I'll assume that if you add more games to the season, there will be more teams in such a position even before the last game.  In other words, you'll probably see quite a few more teams able to rest players in the 2nd to the last game of the season.  There will even be a few who can do so three weeks before the season ends.  I'll use baseball as a bad analogy, but the more games you have, the less likely it is that it takes until the last games to determine the playoff picture.

Why would the broadcasters want to pay extra for the additional two games if a lot of them will be junk games with low ratings?  Might be totally wrong here, but I always like to look at the business case too.

As for Polian.  There are two co-chairs on the competition committee.  Polian is not one of them.  Jeff Fisher is one of them, and even he has blamed the refs for one of his losses to the Colts...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

This all more of incentive for teams to win their games. Win your games and Denver, Pittsburgh, Miami, and Houston don't have to worry about the top seeds tanking their last games of season to rest their players. Go out and win the division with no help and with no whining.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

One thing....I know they are/were looking into adding 2 games and cutting 2 preseason games.  Certainly a new nyriad of issues to even get to that.....but to me that would add a more issues including making the current issue (resting/tanking) even worse (e.g, teams matematically clinching spots with 3-4 weeks to go instead of 1 or 2. 

Granted each year it changes....last year we didn't even get in at 11-5.  This year teams have a chance, albeit slight, with 8.....go figure. 

The Dolts move was stupid considering (1) Manning is rarely touched; (2) they had a chance at immortality ...so to speak; (3) They had a slight lead that they could have increased to 18-10 or 22-10 and still done it with little push back; (4) They were playing Buffalo the next week; (5) They were assured a Bye in week one. 

They obviously were screwed up by that KO return (it would have been 16-3).  The Jets would never have mounted a charge.  That said, they should have reevaluated and tried to win.

I dunno how in God's green earth that the NFLK will try to 'regulate' this.  You can't tell them who or who not to play. Quite frankly, I wouldn't even go there.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

This is akin to ACORN conducting their own "thorough and unbiased" investigation on some "irregularities".

LMFAO!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I may be totally off base here, and have no problem with teams resting their players but the rules state that every team MUST play to win EVERY game. The rules are the rules, as has been beaten into us Pats fans by trolls for the last few years, and they should be obeyed by everyone. If you want to rest your starters, go up by 21 points and then rest them but if you fall behind, you darned well better put them back in and try to win the game. Anything else is breaking a rule.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

First: 9/16/2006
    Last: 1/2/2010
    I may be totally off base here, and have no problem with teams resting their players but the rules state that every team MUST play to win EVERY game. The rules are the rules, as has been beaten into us Pats fans by trolls for the last few years, and they should be obeyed by everyone. If you want to rest your starters, go up by 21 points and then rest them but if you fall behind, you darned well better put them back in and try to win the game. Anything else is breaking a rule.

Do you have a link to the rules for this by any chance?  I'd be interested in reading it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

If nothing else, this is why there can be no NCAA football playoff. We say "every game means a lot", yet saw what the Colts did. Yet, it would seem perfectly OK to have, say, Texas lose an out-of-conference game and then get a, no EXPECT TO GET A top seed in this mythical "playoff".

Nothing takes the edge off the excitement as when you have a "the game doesn't mean much overall" status. Justask the Colts fans. Or those conspiracy nuts who believe the COlts tried to stick it to the Pats. Do you realize that, even if they lost, the JESTS! would still be in the hunt if they won, and Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Miami, and Houston all lost, PLUS if Wilkie beat Truman in '48, or if the Russians beat Team USA hockey team in the '80 Olympics, or if the COlts beats the JESTS! in SB 3? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

They do?

I doubt it considering the competition committee addressed this issue 4 years ago and decided it was OK.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

It is a fact of every league ever played - some games at the end of the season are meaningless.

It wouldn't prevent a playoff in the NCAA - they just like to pretend that every game counts. If every game in the NCAA FBS counted, then I really need a better understanding of the 400 consolation bowls that are played every year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Enoch:  Ask Denver if it's broken.  8-7 Denver has to root for the Houston Texans to win against New England because it increases their playoff chances, unless Denver loses against the K.C. Chefs, in which case 8-8 Denver has to root for the Houston Texans to lose because it increases their playoff chances.