Gregg Williams Pre-Game Audio

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Gregg Williams Pre-Game Audio

Very interesting.  I doubt the appeals will matter now.  This was Gregg Williams talking to his defensive guys before the playoff game against the 49ers in January.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fhnn9kbqQUA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Re: Gregg Williams Pre-Game Audio

Probably one of the creepiest things I've seen in sports. And don't tell me Brees didn't know either.

I get he's not in that room, but it's very clear how much at the forefront thins bounty thing and the payouts were. 

As I said earlier, the worst scandal for the NFL, possibly worse than the 1997 and 1998 Broncos cap deceit.

This goes wrong in so many ways, there's like a list of 10 things deep that are overtly bad and just wrong about this.

Again, creepy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Williams is never coaching again.  In any league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I agree. 

There is a difference between getting your team jacked up and calling out names with descriptions of injuries to other players.  I am sorry, but Goodell's punishments aren't over the line whatsoever.

I wonder how many players he'll go after now?  I also wonder why he's waiting on that decision at this point? I think the Saints are in real trouble and are slightly delusional with the aftereffects of this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that audio was a component of the case that the Commissioner's Office had on the Saints.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The ACL comment was particularly incriminating.  Pretty blatant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

There is absolutely no way to spin this "pep talk" in a positive way.  

It amazes me that ESPN squawked about a fr--------------ing camera on the sideline 24/7 for months on end but only have an occasional snippet about a team's intentional efforts to injure that could possibly end a player's career.  

Something is definitely wrong here. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I am laughing at Mike Ditka and other ESPN talking heads making SPygate the most overblown thing in sports history and then saying that they thought the punishment for the Saints was a little excessive.

LMAO

Their IQs at ESPN aren't very high, or if they are, their ignorance and agendas are are a disgrace.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

The reason he's waiting on the Players is mostly because of the Union. The Union will not push back on Goodell for punishing coaches or organizations, but the second he goes after players he'll have to fight tooth and nail to get his punishments accepted.

There is a lot of good in Unions, but the bad side of many is that they will fight for EVERY person in the Union regardless of whether the particular person has actually done something wrong or not. In this case, it's pretty indisputable that at least a handfull of defensive players were involved, but you can bet they will expend tons of time, cash and effort protecting those players.

The Union will claim that the players felt they had to be involved or that they would receive punishment from the coaches. Thus it's not totally their fault. Basically their going to claim it was like the Milgrim experiment - that authority (coaches) will get otherwise rational people (players, haha) to do things they never would normally do. Which is BS, but I'm sure that's the line they'll go with.

I would not be surprised if players don't get punished until the season starts, and even when they do may not get anywhere close to the punishment that the coaches got. You will probably NOT see a player suspended for a year (or for that matter indefinitely). I'd expect a few get huge fines 6-8 games (so that they are the token examples), but that most involved will get some fines and maybe 1-2 games. Out of these, at least half will appeal, and the fines/suspensions will be lowered significantly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Heard an interesting distinction this morning as well re: Spygate vs Bountygate.  Apprently BB never once denied that the sideline taping was happening while there were apparently a number of denials with respect to the Saints bounty issue. 

That said, my personal view of Spygate always has been the BB take on anything that is obvious:  it is what it is.  NFL took action against BB and the Pats; end of story.  Don't really care about ESPN's obsession with it.

Bountygate, on the other hand, is much gretater than simply a rules issue.  There was clear intent to injure impacting the livelihood and health of human beings.  Laying a lick on someone is one thing; trying to actually injure them is quite another.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

I'm not amazed that they squawked about Spygate for so long - there's a lot more people that envy the Patriots than envy the Saints. At the time that Spygate happened the Pats had won 3 SBs in the last 6 seasons, had made it all the way to the AFC Championship in the last season only to lose freakishly to the Colts, and had reloaded their team in a major way. Most of the insiders in the NFL had to have some idea that the Pats were going to be a monster team in 2007 - maybe not quite as monster as they became, but they must have guessed they'd be SB favorites by far.

That's why the Pats got hit so hard - the NFL wants parity. Not one team dominating year in and year out, which is what the Patriots have done and are STILL doing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Gregg Williams Pre-Game Audio:
    [QUOTE]The reason he's waiting on the Players is mostly because of the Union. The Union will not push back on Goodell for punishing coaches or organizations, but the second he goes after players he'll have to fight tooth and nail to get his punishments accepted. There is a lot of good in Unions, but the bad side of many is that they will fight for EVERY person in the Union regardless of whether the particular person has actually done something wrong or not. In this case, it's pretty indisputable that at least a handfull of defensive players were involved, but you can bet they will expend tons of time, cash and effort protecting those players. The Union will claim that the players felt they had to be involved or that they would receive punishment from the coaches. Thus it's not totally their fault. Basically their going to claim it was like the Milgrim experiment - that authority (coaches) will get otherwise rational people (players, haha) to do things they never would normally do. Which is BS, but I'm sure that's the line they'll go with. I would not be surprised if players don't get punished until the season starts, and even when they do may not get anywhere close to the punishment that the coaches got. You will probably NOT see a player suspended for a year (or for that matter indefinitely). I'd expect a few get huge fines 6-8 games (so that they are the token examples), but that most involved will get some fines and maybe 1-2 games. Out of these, at least half will appeal, and the fines/suspensions will be lowered significantly.
    Posted by timesedge[/QUOTE]

A variation of the Nuremburg defense and not a particuarly compelling one at that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Hopefully this will finally put an end to all that nasty blocking and tackling that goes on in the NFL and we will be able to watch a nice comfortable game of tage for a change.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sean44. Show Sean44's posts

I wonder what Williams was offering to knock Brady out when they played the Saints?  I remember one big hit from that game, but it was on Faulk.  I guess since the game got out of control they didn't need to worry about knocking Brady out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]Hopefully this will finally put an end to all that nasty blocking and tackling that goes on in the NFL and we will be able to watch a nice comfortable game of tage for a change.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Respectfully, should we conclude that you have no issue with what the Saints coaching staff and certain players were doing?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Creepy!  We all know that when we played we wanted to hit people hard, maybe even hit someone so hard we put them out of the game, not permanently, not to seriously injure them, just to put a nice, solid clean hit on them.  But when you hear a coach specifically tell players to injure someone's ACL or keep punishing someone in the head, even in the pile, to take out someone's ankle and go after someone who has had concussions... Wow that just makes me cringe.  And if that wasn't bad enough you then realize that the players were going to receive extra compensation for doing so.  Disgraceful!!

I hope this punkass coach never gets the chance to coach again..ever.  And the Saints organization should be very embarrassed and ashamed for letting this happen.  No place in sports for someone like this.  And to have people even compare this to spygate is utterly disgraceful!!!  Those people should have their heads examined.  Anyone who brings up spygate when talking about this Saints bounty situation is either an absolute idiot or an absolute jealous hater of the Patriots.  There is no comparison, not even close.  You can't even seriously find a little bit of an argument that these two incidents compare to each other.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]Hopefully this will finally put an end to all that nasty blocking and tackling that goes on in the NFL and we will be able to watch a nice comfortable game of tage for a change.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Listening to Tim Hasselbeck from ESPN defend what was said on the video just proves that Tim Hasselbeck is an complete tool and idiot.  No wonder Tim Hasselbeck never made it in the NFL, the dude is brain dead.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gregg Williams Pre-Game Audio : Respectfully, should we conclude that you have no issue with what the Saints coaching staff and certain players were doing?
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Well . . . ATJ . . .  yes and no.

I am not up in arms that players are out there trying to hurt each other. I believe that a lot of players do this as a matter of course and I would certainly want those players on my team. Damn right I want you out there trying to knock the best players out of the game, or even better, making them want to quit. That said, I certainly don't think guys who earn millions of dollars already should have to be bribed with the equivalent of free cheeseburgers in order to do it (and I don't give a damn about the salary cap argument, either . . .   it's peanuts).

I'll tell you what bothers me about this whole thing:

The same guys who used to get so excited about their "Jacked Up" highlight segments and were always chuckling in the booth about all the "boys-will-be-boys" shenanigans that go on under all those piles now expect us to believe that they're shocked (SHOCKED!!!) and appalled at this behavior and that "intent to injure" has no place in the game.

It's hypocrisy to its very core and I'm sick of hearing about it.

I don't believe for one second that the talking heads or the casual fan gives one jolly god damn about "player safety." This is just a case of everybody having to smile and say the correct thing because somebody got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and we're all supposed to pretend that this is an isolated incident (which it most certainly is not).

Bottom line: I want my team to be that team that nobody wants to play and want my coaches to turn them into that team if they're not already.

But I guess that's just  me.

Oh . . .  and I also want James Caan to play Jonathan E. in the movie.

Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I've played the game, certainly not at a pro level, but in H/S and in organized leagues around the country.  Nothing was more satisfying to me than laying a good hard lick on a guy with the ball.  However, there's a huge difference between that and intentionally trying to injure someone. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gregg Williams Pre-Game Audio :   Well . . . ATJ . . .  yes and no. I am not up in arms that players are out there trying to hurt each other. I believe that a lot of players do this as a matter of course and I would certainly want those players on my team. Damn right I want you out there trying to knock the best players out of the game, or even better, making them want to quit. I don't think guys who earn millions of dollars already should have to be bribed with the equivalent of free cheeseburgers in order to do it (and I don't give a damn about the salary cap argument, either . . .   it's peanuts). I'll tell you what bothers me about this whole thing: The same guys who used to get so excited about their "Jacked Up" segments and were always chuckling in the booth about all the "boys-will-be-boys" shenanigans that go on under all those piles now expect us to believe that they're shocked (SHOCKED!!!) and appalled at this behavior and that "intent to injure" has no place in the game. It's hypocrisy to its very core and I'm sick of hearing about it. I want my team to be that team that nobody wants to play and want my coaches to turn them into that team if they're not already. But I guess that's just  me. Oh . . .  and I also want James Caan to play Jonathan E. in the movie.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying, Mike.  I understand what you're saying and, to a lesser degree, agree.  But only to the extent that I want players on my team to be good tough physical players.  I still have an issue with attempting to intentionally injure someone.  You can play tough physical football without taking a shot at someone's head or going after a knee that may be of questionable stability.  Those are cheap shots and the game doesn't need that.
    And yes I've been near the bottom of a scrum fighting for a fumble.  I'm not talking about that; it's every man for himself down there. 

With respect to the talking head hypocracy, I'm inclined to agree except I don't pay a great deal of attention to them in the first place. 

All of that being said, I'm of the opinion that the action the Commissioner has taken is approrpriate, tag football overtones notwithstanding.

Appreciate your perspective, Mike, and again thanks for the expansive reply.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

You'd be naive to believe that the Saints are the only ones that have ever done this (eg: Ryans Eagles), but that is not really the issue. You have pending lawsuits from former players that have suffered the long term effects of being injured or concussed. This bounty scandal came at the worst possible time for both the NFL brass (eg; Goodell&Co) and the Saints. Goodell can't be lenient; he has to bring the hammer down.

I still don't think this means the NFL turns into flag football; that's just a petulant reaction from fans (who've never been hit by Ray Lewis) who feel the rules have changed dramitically. You still can't legislate aggression out of the game....that's next to impossible to do....it remains a collision sport and players are always going to get injured. No amount fines or penalties are really going to curtail the amount of aggression and collisions (hitting) we all see in the NFL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not amazed that they squawked about Spygate for so long - there's a lot more people that envy the Patriots than envy the Saints. At the time that Spygate happened the Pats had won 3 SBs in the last 6 seasons, had made it all the way to the AFC Championship in the last season only to lose freakishly to the Colts, and had reloaded their team in a major way. Most of the insiders in the NFL had to have some idea that the Pats were going to be a monster team in 2007 - maybe not quite as monster as they became, but they must have guessed they'd be SB favorites by far. That's why the Pats got hit so hard - the NFL wants parity. Not one team dominating year in and year out, which is what the Patriots have done and are STILL doing.
    Posted by timesedge[/QUOTE]

And that just proves what a farce Spygate was. If it was real, NE wouldn't have had the best winning% of any NFL team since 2005.

TWO SB appearances to boot and one 16-0 season.  None of it ever, ever added up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]You'd be naive to believe that the Saints are the only ones that have ever done this (eg: Ryans Eagles), but that is not really the issue. You have pending lawsuits from former players that have suffered the long term effects of being injured or concussed. This bounty scandal came at the worst possible time for both the NFL brass (eg; Goodell&Co) and the Saints. Goodell can't be lenient; he has to bring the hammer down. I still don't think this means the NFL turns into flag football; that's just a petulant reaction from fans (who've never been hit by Ray Lewis) who feel the rules have changed dramitically. You still can't legislate aggression out of the game....that's next to impossible to do....it remains a collision sport and players are always going to get injured. No amount fines or penalties are really going to curtail the amount of aggression and collisions (hitting) we all see in the NFL.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

We know about Ryan's Eagles, but that was 20 years ago. And we know all too well about Jeff Fisher's bounty on Rodney Harrison in 2006, where Bruschi almost went ballistic on Fisher because Wade's bushleague cheapshot was so obvious.

But, you answered you're own question, really.  It's more of an issue now in and out of the lockout, the lawsuits, the concepts of the legacy fund, etc than it would have been with that punk Buddy Ryan running his yap in Philly.

Lastly, this has nothing to do with aggression, violence or clean, hard hits. ZERO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

At first I thought the Tom hit on the knee was an accident, buy long since know it was not. I know different team but thugs will be thugs.