Gronk Has Ligament Damage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Gronk Has Ligament Damage

This sucks...it's been reported by Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald that star TE Rob Gronkowski suffered ligament damage to his ankle, and won't be 100% for the SB: http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/23385/Report--Gronkowski-suffered-ligament-damage/Default.aspx  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: Gronk Has Ligament Damage

if true, it would be a big blow to the Patriots offense. It's not like he can easily be replaced by someone on the roster.

Are patriots allowed to pick up another TE at this point in the season if due to injury?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

That is what a sprained ankle is. The question is what grade sprain is it, 1, 2 or 3. If it is a 3 then bad news. Chances are we will never know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Gronk Has Ligament Damage:
    [QUOTE]That is what a sprained ankle is. The question is what grade sprain is it, 1, 2 or 3. If it is a 3 then bad news. Chances are we will never know.
    Posted by paesan59[/QUOTE]

Here's a video from a doctor on the condition of Gronk's ankle. He compares the injury to the one that Ben Roethlisburger suffered several weeks ago. If so, that's really bad, as Big Ben's mobility was clearly effected by the injury, more than two weeks after he had suffered it. 

But, then he says that Gronk will be slightly limited, and that the ankle shouldn't be much of a problem for him im the SB. Really doesn't make sense. Is is Roethlisburger type limiting, or not too big a deal? 

You be the judge: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4715925/video-dr-kaplan-on-gronks-ankle 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Two weeks rest. Shoot it up. Good to go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

I think the big difference between Gronk and Big Ben is the 2 weeks in between. Big Ben tried to play on it the next week and most likely re-injured it. I don't see any way that Gronk will be 100% for the SB. Everytime I see the replay I wonder how is leg did not break. My biggest concern will be Gronk re-injuring the ankle during the SB game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

the fact that he played the whole fourth quarter makes this a non issue, but due to the fact that its the Super Bowl , it will be sprained , ligament damage , broken and fractured and he will be in a hyperbaric chamber with T.O. by February 1ST...........its an issue for people who want it to be an issue.......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]the fact that he played the whole fourth quarter makes this a non issue, but due to the fact that its the Super Bowl , it will be sprained , ligament damage , broken and fractured and he will be in a hyperbaric chamber with T.O. by February 1ST...........its an issue for people who want it to be an issue.......
    Posted by EASON11[/QUOTE]

I wish what you're saying is true. But, he won't be able to practice...and if his mobility is limited at game time, it's a huge issue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

[QUOTE]the fact that he played the whole fourth quarter makes this a non issue, but due to the fact that its the Super Bowl , it will be sprained , ligament damage , broken and fractured and he will be in a hyperbaric chamber with T.O. by February 1ST...........its an issue for people who want it to be an issue.......
    Posted by EASON11[/QUOTE]
    Totally disagree. I have had many ankle sprains and I am sure you have had one at some time. No doubt that one can walk around on a sprained ankle but how effective will Gronk be is the question. Look at Gronk in the 4th quarter and he missed a couple of blocks that he normally makes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronk Has Ligament Damage :      Here's a video from a doctor on the condition of Gronk's ankle. He compares the injury to the one that Ben Roethlisburger suffered several weeks ago. If so, that's really bad, as Big Ben's mobility was clearly effected by the injury, more than two weeks after he had suffered it.       But, then he says that Gronk will be slightly limited, and that the ankle shouldn't be much of a problem for him im the SB. Really doesn't make sense. Is is Roethlisburger type limiting, or not too big a deal?       You be the judge: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4715925/video-dr-kaplan-on-gronks-ankle  
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

It's the degree of the injury. I tore up my knee pretty bad and I learned there are 3 major and 2 minor degrees of ligament damage. Ben had a 2nd major and 1st minor ligament damage meaning it was bad that came close to needing surgery. If he stayed off of it it would heal itself over time but like an idiot he practiced and played on it which only inflamed it worse limiting his mobility

I don't know what Gronk has but if he stays off of it for a full week then limits walking on it for the 2nd week (maybe just walking through routes) it should be fine. He might not be 100% but they can tape it up to essentially immobilize it and shot it up to prevent it from inflaming further during the game then he should be fine. Considering Gronk doesn't make quick cuts anyways the taping shouldn't greatly affect his mobility but I'm sure he won't be moving as quick in and out of cuts as he normally does. The biggest challenge might be mental. A lot of players are extremely aware of their injuries and take means to protect themselves lowering their playing ability. For some reason I don't see this being a issue for Gronk

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

What a surprise, another gloom and doom thread from Texas Troll.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

If its not broken he plays. It's the SB, he's not going to miss it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

If it's bad he might need to wear a brace. That could effect his ability to cut but how many times do you see Gronk make a sharp turn on a route?  He almost always runs some type of slant over the middle where he uses his body to screen the defender. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

In Response to Gronk Has Ligament Damage:
    [QUOTE]     This sucks...it's been reported by Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald that star TE Rob Gronkowski suffered ligament damage to his ankle, and won't be 100% for the SB: http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/23385/Report--Gronkowski-suffered-ligament-damage/Default.aspx   

any time you roll an ankle and dont break the bone...the ligaments stretch....ie ligament damage....   the go back to normal upon the ankle healing...
    thats what a high ankle sprain is...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

playing soccer at age 41 i rolled my ankle as far as it could roll...in first half played second half... drank beer for an hour after game...(though I did ice)  that night my ankle was a big as the soccer ball..even after constant treatment.. treated all week and went to practice on thursday and was running on it... still swollen and painful.... from above my ankle to my toes was black and blue...  played effectively the following sunday... in two weeks it was much better...

it was a bad one but a brace tape and adrenaline allowed me to play...
    just saying

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimijazz. Show jimijazz's posts

If the coach, doctor, and trainer all say 'Rob, you're fine, get out there and enjoy yourself. It's the Super Bowl !'   

Gronk will say 'Cool' and play all four quarters.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

"star TE Rob Gronkowski suffered ligament damage to his ankle" - perhaps that is code for "not serious but why should we leth the giants know".  we all know the Giants will read the Herald and Globe for the inside scoop on injuries and not the official injury report.  The NFL can't fine "anonymous sources". 

Gronkowski goes out the first few downs and feigns his limitations, Giants downgrade the coverage and move resources elsewhere and BAM! Brady to Gronkwski - 70 yards TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

[QUOTE]playing soccer at age 41 i rolled my ankle as far as it could roll...in first half played second half... drank beer for an hour after game...(though I did ice)  that night my ankle was a big as the soccer ball..even after constant treatment.. treated all week and went to practice on thursday and was running on it... still swollen and painful.... from above my ankle to my toes was black and blue...  played effectively the following sunday... in two weeks it was much better... it was a bad one but a brace tape and adrenaline allowed me to play... just saying
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

I did the exact same thing - man, did that hurt! The doctors put me in a cast for 6 weeks with torn ligaments. Treatment has come a long way since that happened to me ('77), so I hope that he'll be OK. Its hard to believe that he would let anything stand in the way of him playing no matter what.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

A sprained ankle is ligament damage. I suspect every player on the field has had ligament damage to their ankles. Check out every players shoes, they are almost all strapped up with tape. 

IMO: Gronk will show up, relatively healthy, and be in the running for the MVP. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think it's good it's just this.  When he went down on Sunday, I thought he might be out for the season--maybe even need surgery.  I think they'll rest it for two weeks and he'll be okay for the game.  

We do need him, because we're not a team with five or six receivers we can bring in and out.  We really depend very heavily on Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker (and to a lesser degree Branch).  Take out any of the big three and our offense gets a lot simpler for defenses to cover.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]Just a word of warning: Whatever the media says in the next 10 days about NE, ignore it. 99% of it will be inaccurate or framed in a way to create sensationalism. Carry on.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He'll be fine

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Gronk Has Ligament Damage:
    [QUOTE]     This sucks...it's been reported by Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald that star TE Rob Gronkowski suffered ligament damage to his ankle, and won't be 100% for the SB: http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/23385/Report--Gronkowski-suffered-ligament-damage/Default.aspx   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprained_ankle