Gronk Return

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Gronk Return

Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald reports an updated timetable for Rob Gronkowski's 2013 regular-season debut:

According to a source, Gronk is doing very well in his rehabilliation from back and forearm surgeries performed in May and June. He's "right on schedule" for a mid-September return. In fact, he's healed and advanced to the point where he would be close to playing Week 1 in Buffalo, the source said.

However, the more realistic time frame for him to be ready and in 'football shape' would be shortly after, right around Game 3 against Tampa Bay assuming there are no setbacks. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Re: Gronk Return

We have plenty of weopons, and see no reason to rush one of our stars at this point. Let this kid be 100%....even if it means missing a few games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

PUP players can't practice.  Once they are taken off PUP, they can resume practice and play in a game.

My prediction, Gronk doesn't go on PUP to start the season and Tebow gets cut as a result.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Great news! Having this guy miss only three games sounds a lot better than him going on the pup - now that still may happen, but it sounds like the Patriots are having hard enough of a time just keeping Gronk from doing too much right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:

PUP players can't practice.  Once they are taken off PUP, they can resume practice and play in a game.

If this is true then yeah, I would keep Gronk off PUP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The real question, as every one might recall, is when he comes off PUP.

PUP is prettyfluid in the preseason. You can come off and be placed on PUP at any time. While you are on it you cannot practice or play, but the moment you are off you can do both. 

Week one of the NFL season is a different story:

Should Gronk be on the PUP list come week one, he will be on a mini-IR and unavilable until week 6. 

Therein lies the decision NE faces. 

If NE thinks he could go in the first few weeks, and go without a snag or risk, then they should not PUP him after week one. He will cost NE a roster spot, but for 3-5 games of play it's worth it. 

If they think it is questionable whether he can be available before week 6, then there is no question they are going to need the roster spot for that amount of time. It really is almost half a season too. 

This is probably the rosiest article so far about him, where it's usually uncertain or mixed news on that front. If this article is correct, he should be practicing next week even (based on the concept of "going" for week one). If it is a mid-September return then practice should resume the week after that. 

I guess that is one good thing about the optimistic time-table ... we'll know if it's fluff and BS real soon. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Off topic a bit, but I am of firm belief that if Gronk had been healthy for both of the last two post seasons, we win two Super Bowls. I truly believe this guy is one of the best players in the NFL - he is uncoverable. If this had happened there would be no bickering around here about if we ran the ball enough, if we have a good enough defense, if Brady has lost it...Gronk being healthy would of brought us two more Super Bowls.

Let's hope he is there in the playoffs this year the whole way through. He changes everything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Off topic a bit, but I am of firm belief that if Gronk had been healthy for both of the last two post seasons, we win two Super Bowls. I truly believe this guy is one of the best players in the NFL - he is uncoverable. If this had happened there would be no bickering around here about if we ran the ball enough, if we have a good enough defense, if Brady has lost it...Gronk being healthy would of brought us two more Super Bowls.

Let's hope he is there in the playoffs this year the whole way through. He changes everything.

I agree for 2011.  Not so sure about last season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeritasMD. Show VeritasMD's posts

I'm sick of hearing about Gronk.  He's way too fragile to ever be a reliable contributer.  Best case, we'll get 3-4 games out of him before he's back in the hospital.  He's hurt constantly. He's like the Nick Johnson of the NFL. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to VeritasMD's comment:

I'm sick of hearing about Gronk.  He's way too fragile to ever be a reliable contributer.  Best case, we'll get 3-4 games out of him before he's back in the hospital.  He's hurt constantly. He's like the Nick Johnson of the NFL. 

He was healthy his rookie year and 2011 only getting hurt in the AFC title game.  Last year was his first year of getting injured and missing games.  Hernandez was hurt more than Gronk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Great news, if accurate.  If this is the case I wouldn't expect to see GRONK PUP'ed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Every PUP means that BB gets to keep one more pretty good player.  After six weeks, surely someone new will go on IR or else will be cut. 

So, is losing Gronk for three good weeks while his back gets really well strengthened (weeks 4 through 6) worth a LaGarrette Blount or a Boldin providing both depth and options against certain defenses' specific weaknesses?  It's a tough choice.  The decision will probably go right down to an MRI performed on August 30.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I would say if its close, def. wait till AFTER the T.B. game. I can only imagine what may happen to him on a last second kneel down to win the game dealing with Schiano. I think week 4 is a great time to come back and the games before hand, should be won easily without him. T.B. is a tough team this year but I expect BB to win going away seeing as he share the stadium with him. Im hoping BB used that to his advantage or I have to question the idealogy there. Helping a guy structure his team, practices,etc. Practice and play against them,only to play in week 3 of reg. season?!

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

I think we can win the first three games without Gronk.  Lets make sure he is ready. No need to rush him back.  Let him start practicing the first week of the season

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Ballard, Sudfeld and either Fells or Hoomanawanui can hold the position down while Gronk fully recovers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

make sure he is healthy for the playoff run and not rush him back.  By leaving him out till around week 3-4 it will force brady to become more accustomed to throwing to sudfeld and ballard making it that much more difficult to predict who brady's favorite WR/TE is. Who knows maybe he will go back to the open guy is his favorite target  like back when we won 3 SB's.  you never know it just might work, we certainly haven't tried it recently. A healthy gronk and sudfeld on the field at the same time along with vareen/ridley and dobson/thonmkins will be very hard to defend!  I cannot wait!

with enough thrust, pigs fly just fine!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to natesubs' comment:

make sure he is healthy for the playoff run and not rush him back.  By leaving him out till around week 3-4 it will force brady to become more accustomed to throwing to sudfeld and ballard making it that much more difficult to predict who brady's favorite WR/TE is. ....

I'm with this. Actually, I'd amend it to say I don't care if he takes one RS snap as long as he's healthy for the PS. 

But assuming he's healthy in week 3, 4, whenever and they don't PUP him, there's really no loss because there are only 46 active anyway. Yes, you'd have to cut someone that you would otherwise be able to keep on the 53, but you'd have to do that anyway when he comes off PUP.

So really that's the question: is having him available for somewhere between 1 and 3 games worth losing a bubble player?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Every PUP means that BB gets to keep one more pretty good player.  After six weeks, surely someone new will go on IR or else will be cut. 

So, is losing Gronk for three good weeks while his back gets really well strengthened (weeks 4 through 6) worth a LaGarrette Blount or a Boldin providing both depth and options against certain defenses' specific weaknesses?  It's a tough choice.  The decision will probably go right down to an MRI performed on August 30.

Tough decision but besides Brady, Gronk is the best skill player on our offense. If we are certain he can go by week 2 or 3, then I would just put him on the roster and forget about it. even if that means letting bolden or Blount go. I wonder if we see one of the other te's mysteriously pupped sometime  soon?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

"PUP" is an acronym for the physically unable to perform list, a landing spot for injured players. As Frank Tadych of NFL.com explained back in 2010, there are essentially two types.

The preseason, or "active," PUP list is for players who start training camp hurt. Players on the active list can be activated at any time and count against the roster limit. Once a player practices, even for five minutes, they cannot be placed on the active PUP list.

Once camp ends, at the second roster cutdown deadline (Aug. 31) teams must decide whether to activate any players on PUP or move them to the "reserve" list. Players moved to the reserve list do not count against the 53-man active roster limit, but those players cannot participate in practices or games for the first six weeks of the season.

After six weeks have passed, teams are given a 21-day window in which they may either activate the player from PUP or place them on injured reserve, ending their season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1717741-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-nfls-pup-list-preseason-injuries