Gronk surgery needed after season but will play

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Gronk surgery needed after season but will play

hello all! Bad news here from NFL Network. can anyone confirm this crappy news!?? Obviously he will play but we need an effective and EXPLOSIVE Gronk for this game!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Gronk surgery needed after season but will play

I've scoured NFL.com and have seen nothing. Was this on the TV show?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'm not seeing anything on espnboston.com either. Link?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/2012/01/report-pats-expect-gronkowski-will-need-surgery.html

I've never even heard of this guy. Hopefully he's just stiring something up to create interest...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

They reported it on 98.5 all day yesterday via Adam Shefter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Gronk surgery needed after season but will play:
    [QUOTE]http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/2012/01/report-pats-expect-gronkowski-will-need-surgery.html I've never even heard of this guy. Hopefully he's just stiring something up to create interest...
    Posted by jam757[/QUOTE]

Where is he getting his info (source)?  The Pats are not going to say that.
    TB said he had 6-7 surgeries already and I've only heard of a few.
    There certainly not going to tell the "head hunting Giants", knowing how they love to go after injured players.. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

[QUOTE]http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/2012/01/report-pats-expect-gronkowski-will-need-surgery.html I've never even heard of this guy. Hopefully he's just stiring something up to create interest...
    Posted by jam757[/QUOTE]

This is just pure speculation. It states that Ian Rapoport tweeted that Gronkowski is expected to need surgery after the season is over.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]Dont worry about Gronk, he's Polish he'll show up to work!!!  In our blood!
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

I said it before. He is the NFL Version of Ivan Putski just waiting to drop the Polish Hammer on someone. He'll be playing at close to 100% no matter what the ankle condition just like Ed Reed did last week. He is the Modern day Bronko Nagurski. This is the least of my worries on Super Bowl Day. I'm much more worried about Brady at this point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Someone trying to get their 30 seconds of fame.  Probably read a few medical journals about this type of injury and jumps to the conclusion surgery is "generally" a treatment option.  We just have to steel ourselves to all manners of rumor, hyperbole and other inane statements from the bloggers and other media types leading up to the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Not that I beleive the story to be 100% accurate but we all have this P.OS jag to thank for 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

speculation #75

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

he is going to have surgery, but from what ive read, it would be to clean out his knee....and from what we've all heard, this is an ankle sprain....its possible the surgery may be unrelated to this injury

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Yes, it's just speculation - but it would not surprise me if he did need surgery for his ankle. I mean c'mon - did you see the angle at which his ankle turned? NOT good.

The 3 options are: either it really is a sprain, the injury has been publically overstated - so that the Giants may discount preparing for him....or, the injury has been understated - so that the Giants would end up over preparing for his presence.

My guess is he's not going to play. It takes 2-4 weeks before any surgeon would go in there and do what they need to do anyway, cuz they want the swelling to go down.

If he plays, he won't be at 100%.  Is 50-75% enough to make him effective? I dunno.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

This is being reported by the Boston Globe (Young) as well ...both as a fact and as an expectation so it is hard to tell if it is confirmed. Everyone who watched the game saw the ankle roll and Pollard lay his full weight on it. We already know the ankle is injured...if it quacks bad, looks bad, it probably is bad. I believe it is a significant enough injury to limit his worth on the field. Pollard knew he injured Gronkowski because he said afterwards that the Gronk probably won't be playing well in the SB and then he laughed and wished the Patriots ill. I watched replay after replay of that tackle and it sure looks lto me as though it was an intentionally inflicted injury. Gronkowski is already falling to the ground as Pollard pulls both legs inward and then rolls his full weight onto the legs, not towards the rear but upwards into the leg and knee. He is known for his hits in this fashion, being called the "bone crusher" while playing collegiate ball. One player causing two season ending injuries and attempting a third is no coincidence...it is purposed. Whether he plays or not it will not be the same. Next week will tell for sure about his prospects, if he fully participates in practice or not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

NO!......(mad)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

75% effective...what does it mean?

If he played on it all season he would only have 75% of the TD's he got?
    He will catch 25% fewer balls?

I am 25% slower than him and only 75% or his height and weight...would that mean he would play like me?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Not that I beleive the story to be 100% accurate but we all have this P.OS jag to thank for   
    Posted by Rodimus77[/QUOTE]

I am very upset everytime that I hear about Gronk's injury and knowing that Pollard has caused injuries to two of our players.  Maybe someday Pollard will get what he deserves. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

we going to the superbowl we going to the ship

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I'll only believe when Tomase reports it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

All articles on Gronk are speculation. We all know not a word of his true condition will pass the lips of BB or any of his teammates. If he plays he'll probably have to have a lot of taping done on the ankle, and possibly some painkillers. But I don't see him sitting or inactive unless he cannot put weight on it. This kid is determined, and he's tough. Even if he's not 100% he's still a threat. TO played in the SB with a broken ankle...Gronk can surely play with a sprained one. I don't think we can put too much trust in what we see reported when the source is one of those stupid twitter posts! With so many media outlets these things get repeated (and embellished) by anyone wanting to get a good headline. It would be a shame, though, if the kid couldn't play in the big game after such a great season. We'll see what happens, but I would not agonize over any of the thousands of rumors we read about in the media!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]75% effective...what does it mean? If he played on it all season he would only have 75% of the TD's he got? He will catch 25% fewer balls? I am 25% slower than him and only 75% or his height and weight...would that mean he would play like me?
    Posted by patsbandwagonsince76[/QUOTE]
    hey, hey.

I wasn't really being literal.  The point is, if he is injured, at what point would he become ineffective on the field and actually hurt the productivity of the offense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Whatever, nobody knows so writer A goes out and find a doctor to talk about what injury it could be. Then that doctor says it could be a high ankle sprain, and if it is it could be minor and he's fine or it could be severe and need surgery. So then several writers read that and write an article that says "Sources say Gronk has a ankle sprain that may need surgery" Then Writer B reads those articles and reports "I'm hearing from multiple sources following the situation that Gronkowski needs surgery." Then Shefter tweets that writer B has just reported that he has sources saying Gronkowski needs surgery. So Espn has John Clayton write a story about how the Patriots will play without Gronkowski. Then to hype their own story ESPN has Bayless and some other idiot debate whether the Pats can win without Gronkowski. Then Gronkowski plays awesome and everyone on sports TV discusses whether BB should have let him play when he needed surgery when the whole thing was all just reporters reporting each others reports based on speculation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

i'm sure that bb was involved w/ different media leaks....lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from triplestix. Show triplestix's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, it's just speculation - but it would not surprise me if he did need surgery for his ankle. I mean c'mon - did you see the angle at which his ankle turned? NOT good. The 3 options are: either it really is a sprain, the injury has been publically overstated - so that the Giants may discount preparing for him....or, the injury has been understated - so that the Giants would end up over preparing for his presence. My guess is he's not going to play. It takes 2-4 weeks before any surgeon would go in there and do what they need to do anyway, cuz they want the swelling to go down. If he plays, he won't be at 100%.  Is 50-75% enough to make him effective? I dunno.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii[/QUOTE]

There are three degrees of high ankle sprains. The first degree is basically treated as a joke. Second degree sprains usually mean that you will need some support such as a brace or to get the ankle tapped. Third degree sprains can often require surgery. Having had a third degree sprain I can say that running in a straight line would not be an issue, but it is very very difficult to change direction. Also, just because you have a third degree sprain does not mean that you must have surgery. I took the physical therapy approach to trying to fix it and my ankle is fine. It really depends on the degree of the sprain. Ben Worthlessburger of the Steelers had a third degree sprain and the way I got injured was very similar to the way Big Ben got injured. I'm not an expert but Gronkowski's injury did not seem to be that bad. When I went down I was unable to put any weight on the foot for the next two days. Gronk was back out five minutes later... I think he should be able to play.