Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr?

I gotta believe that Gronkowskis’ 17 receiving touchdowns along with 1 more rushing touchdown for 18 TDs, along with breaking the TE record for total yardage is spectacular.

He leads all NFL receiver´s, including Megatron, in TD's. That's almost like when Bobby Orr won a couple of scoring titles as a defenseman, don't you think? IMO Gronkowski's performance was one for the ages (oddly enough, he might improve on it next season!).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr?

Amazingly enough Gronk and his brothers played hockey too. Imagine if Gronk went that route became a Dman and was drafted by the Bruins?

ROFL Chara and Gronk on the top Dline now wouldn't that be fun:

"Me Gronk, I hit things"
    "Me Chara I hit things harder"
    "Nooooo, me Gronk hit things harder I show you"
    "Nooooo, I show you me Chara hit things harder"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

What's great about Gronk is what happens after the catch.  It's fun seeing defenders trying to stop him.  

Orr going end to end.  Yeah, that kind of feels the same  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Gronk had a spectacular year. But comparing it to Orr's expliots is a big stretch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

In Response to Re: Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr?:
    [QUOTE]Gronk had a spectacular year. But comparing it to Orr's expliots is a big stretch.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is a bit of a stretch from the longevity point of view (I still think that Orr was the best pure/natural hockey player ever). What I really meant is that Gronk is a TE and still beat ALL NFL receivers in TDs. That just isn't supposed to be possible. What we're seeing is that he and Graham are being used in ways unprecedented before this season and we'll probably see more of it moving forward in a copy cat league. But it's undeniably as impressive as a defenseman winning the scoring title like Orr did. Gronk beats almost all single and very often double covergages, he blocks as well as almost any Offensive Lineman, can't be tackled or brought down by single tacklers and he is humble on top of all of it. He's still learning. That's scary good to see he's still trending up. Together with Hernandez, Welker and Brady I think we are going to win our 4th ring.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr? : Yes, it is a bit of a stretch from the longevity point of view (I still think that Orr was the best pure/natural hockey player ever). What I really meant is that Gronk is a TE and still beat ALL NFL receivers in TDs. That just isn't supposed to be possible. What we're seeing is that he and Graham are being used in ways unprecedented before this season and we'll probably see more of it moving forward in a copy cat league. But it's undeniably as impressive as a defenseman winning the scoring title like Orr did. Gronk beats almost all single and very often double covergages, he blocks as well as almost any Offensive Lineman, can't be tackled or brought down by single tacklers and he is humble on top of all of it. He's still learning. That's scary good to see he's still trending up. Together with Hernandez, Welker and Brady I think we are going to win our 4th ring.
    Posted by noahsark99[/QUOTE]

Orr leading the league in scoring as a defenseman is possibly the most phenomenal achievement in the history of sports. Gronk setting TE records does not rise to that level, however impressive it may be. If we had a good WR on the team he wouldn't have had that many TDs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr? : Orr leading the league in scoring as a defenseman is possibly the most phenomenal achievement in the history of sports. Gronk setting TE records does not rise to that level, however impressive it may be. If we had a good WR on the team he wouldn't have had that many TDs.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Hi Babe, looking at your response I have to admit that I was overly enthusiastic about the Gronk's year so far. I agree with what you said, "Orr leading the league in scoring as a defenseman is possibly the most phenomenal achievement in the history of sports."

It just makes me a little angry when Calvin Johnson gets so much praise this season for his 17 receiving TD's when our TE on upped him with a rushing TD to boot. The Gronk led ALL Receivers!!! GO PATS.

Thanks for keeping me honest, though. I grew up watching ORR. Never seen anything like it before or since in any sport...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

One guy revolutionized what it meant to be an offenisve-minded defenseman.  The other is an elite TE in a league that has seen other elite TEs before him.  I can appreciate that Gronkowski is good, but not sure I get the Orr comparison. 

It's an interesting topic though.  Who really compares to Orr in the sporting world?  Deion Sanders?  A guy who was really the modern model of a shut down corner who could also return kicks for a score from anywhere on the field?  Johnny Bench, an offensive catcher?  Pelé, who was practically a lock for a goal a game?  There must be other examples.     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

[QUOTE]Amazingly enough Gronk and his brothers played hockey too. Imagine if Gronk went that route became a Dman and was drafted by the Bruins? ROFL Chara and Gronk on the top Dline now wouldn't that be fun: "Me Gronk, I hit things" "Me Chara I hit things harder" "Nooooo, me Gronk hit things harder I show you" "Nooooo, I show you me Chara hit things harder"
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Good Lord! The 2000's version of the Hansen brothers...their poor mom.  Imagine that house on a Saturday morning?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Love the guy, but there's only one Orr.  Bobby Orr literally revitalized the sport of hockey in the Hub and greater NE regions. 

The year before Orr helped that team win the Cup, there were something like 500 separate locations for kids to begin to learn the sport at a high level.  In the years that followed (within 5 years), that number jumped into the thousands.  No joke. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Hmmm, maybe if in addition to catching passes and blocking, Gronk was an all-pro linebacker you could make the case. And maybe if he started playing at 17. And maybe if he revolutionized the very sport he played.

Gronk is great, but did you see Orr play? Live, in person not on some grainy video? He controlled the game the way nobody ever had, and not many if any, have since (OK, maybe Gretzky but totally different). If you saw him play, my suspicion is you would find someone else to compare with a tight end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr? : Hi Babe, looking at your response I have to admit that I was overly enthusiastic about the Gronk's year so far. I agree with what you said, "Orr leading the league in scoring as a defenseman is possibly the most phenomenal achievement in the history of sports." It just makes me a little angry when Calvin Johnson gets so much praise this season for his 17 receiving TD's when our TE on upped him with a rushing TD to boot. The Gronk led ALL Receivers!!! GO PATS. Thanks for keeping me honest, though. I grew up watching ORR. Never seen anything like it before or since in any sport...

Gronk is by far the outstanding receiver in the NFL this year, all things considered. I'm with you 100% on that. What he did this year is nothing short of phenomenal. The Hall of Fame is his for the taking.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Yep.  I think he's going to go down as the greatest to ever play the position, barring any significant injury. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ol44. Show Ol44's posts

Love to watch Rob Gronkowski play.
    He has had an amazing year, giving the Pats a new offensive dimension.
    But Orr is one of the greatest in the hall of fame - revolutionized the game.
    And Pele - the greatest to play the most popular game in the world for over two decades. The comparison is not there. At least for now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr?:
    [QUOTE]I gotta believe that Gronkowskis’ 17 receiving touchdowns along with 1 more rushing touchdown for 18 TDs, along with breaking the TE record for total yardage is spectacular. He leads all NFL receiver´s, including Megatron, in TD's. That's like when Bobby Orr won a couple of scoring titles as a defenseman, don't you think? IMO Gronkowski's performance was one for the ages (oddly enough, he might improve on it next season!). The timing is awesome having the emergence of Hernandez along with Rob's documented skills - just the killer pair we need for a realistic SB charge. Feel free to call it the Impossible Dream...It's gonna happen!

Come on, now! I love Gronk...but to compare him in any way to the greatest hockey player to ever play the game is absurd.

Yes...I said "greatest hockey player to ever play the game"...with all due respect to Wayne Gretsky, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Maurice Richard, and Mario Lemeiux. Orr's length of the rink rushes were like watching Devin Hester return kick-offs for TDs...breath-taking, and incredible! Was there ever a better point man on the power play than Orr? Was there ever a better two-way defenceman? No telling what he would have accomplished if only he had healthy knees...or had access to the modern day knee procedures. 

If you want to name a Patriot who compares to Orr in stature, the name is Tom Brady.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

sure, mebbe we can compare when, during a playoff game, Gronk gets hit while crossing the goal line, goes head over heels over the defender, AND he makes the catch with time running out for the winning score.Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

Nice work :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr? :      Come on, now! I love Gronk...but to compare him in any way to the greatest hockey player to ever play the game is absurd.      Yes...I said "greatest hockey player to ever play the game"...with all due respect to Wayne Gretsky, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Maurice Richard, and Mario Lemeiux. Orr's length of the rink rushes were like watching Devin Hester return kick-offs for TDs...breath-taking, and incredible! Was there ever a better point man on the power play than Orr? Was there ever a better two-way defenceman? No telling what he would have accomplished if only he had healthy knees...or had access to the modern day knee procedures.       If you want to name a Patriot who compares to Orr in stature, the name is Tom Brady.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

We'll probably see some innovative new ways for Gronkowski & Hernandez to make Tom, already a sports legend in his own prime-time, look even better in the Post Season. With MacDaniels starting tomorrow, there's enough time to gameplan for any competition!!! Imagine some of the surprises BB & TB can come up with with his fresh eyes... Go Pats!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I don't know how those great Bruins teams didn't win a few more Stanley Cups.  

Oh and GRONK is my MVP for all the reasons listed above even though I understand the award has evolved exclusively into a QB award.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know how those great Bruins teams didn't win a few more Stanley Cups.   Oh and GRONK is my MVP for all the reasons listed above even though I understand the award has evolved exclusively into a QB award.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

The Bruins didn't win more cups in the 70s for several reasons: 

1.) The WHA: The "World Hockey Association" reared it's ugly head just as the Bruins were dynasty bound. They lost Derek Sanderson and Johnny McKenzie to the Philadelphia Blazers, and Gerry Cheevers to the Cleveland Crusaders. They also lost Eddie Westphal in the NHL expansion draft;

2.) Bobby Orr's bad knees;

3.) Ken "^f#@###@" Dryden: Phil Esposito called him a "theiving giraffe"!!!!     

4.) Bad trades, in which the Bruins lost Rick MacLeish, Bernie Parent, Rick Leach. Those three would be key players for the Philadelphia Flyers' Broad Street Bully team...that beat the Bs in the Stanley Cup finals in 1974 or '75.

Here's some great stuff on those Bs of the 70s, which are sure to get long time Bruins fans reminiscing: http://hfboards.com/archive/index.php/t-405158.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

[QUOTE]One guy revolutionized what it meant to be an offenisve-minded defenseman.  The other is an elite TE in a league that has seen other elite TEs before him.  I can appreciate that Gronkowski is good, but not sure I get the Orr comparison.  It's an interesting topic though.  Who really compares to Orr in the sporting world?  Deion Sanders?  A guy who was really the modern model of a shut down corner who could also return kicks for a score from anywhere on the field?  Johnny Bench, an offensive catcher?  Pelé, who was practically a lock for a goal a game?   There must be other examples.     
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is anyone who has ever compared to Orr in the sporting world.  He didn't just redefine his position, he revolutionized the game.  Beyond that, he could have played in any era and dominated.  Gretszky wouldn't have lasted one season in Orr's era.  

I don't mean this in the wrong way, but I'm offended by the Deon Sanders comparison.  He couldn't tackle, so while shutting the other teams receiver down he still couldn't do everything well as corner.  Orr did everything at an exceptional and then transcending level.  

here is Orr doing all the other non offense things at an exceptional level.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr? :   I don't think there is anyone who has ever compared to Orr in the sporting world.  He didn't just redefine his position, he revolutionized the game.  Beyond that, he could have played in any era and dominated.  Gretszky wouldn't have lasted one season in Orr's era.     I don't mean this in the wrong way, but I'm offended by the Deon Sanders comparison.  He couldn't tackle, so while shutting the other teams receiver down he still couldn't do everything well as corner.  Orr did everything at an exceptional and then transcending level.     here is Orr doing all the other non offense things at an exceptional level.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1lfKxMYXE
    Posted by passfirst[/QUOTE]

Orr was incredible. Poetry in motion on ice. This video is sure to bring back memories of the greatest hockey player of all-time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSDw3tMa7ec 

Then, there's this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWXIlXY7y_k

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gronkowski: Football's Bobby Orr? :      The Bruins didn't win more cups in the 70s for several reasons:  1.) The WHA: The "World Hockey Association" reared it's ugly head just as the Bruins were dynasty bound. They lost Derek Sanderson and Johnny McKenzie to the Philadelphia Blazers, and Gerry Cheevers to the Cleveland Crusaders. They also lost Eddie Westphal in the NHL expansion draft; 2.) Bobby Orr's bad knees; 3.) Ken "^f#@###@" Dryden: Phil Esposito called him a "theiving giraffe"!!!!      4.) Bad trades, in which the Bruins lost Rick MacLeish, Bernie Parent, Rick Leach. Those three would be key players for the Philadelphia Flyers' Broad Street Bully team...that beat the Bs in the Stanley Cup finals in 1974 or '75.        Here's some great stuff on those Bs of the 70s, which are sure to get long time Bruins fans reminiscing: http://hfboards.com/archive/index.php/t-405158.html
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info TP.  I have vague memories of the 71-72 team (I was 8).  I did get Esposito and Bucyk's autographs at the Gem department store, in Saugus, that year.  Wish I still had them.