Happy Sequester Everyone!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Happy Sequester Everyone!!!

In response to Davedsone's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

The founders didn't want gridlock.  They wanted sensible policymaking. But regardless of what they wanted back in 1789, it behooves Americans to figure out what works in 2013. We aren't living in 1789 anymore.

YOU, SIR, just said a mouthful.  From gun control to gay rights to immigration, we need to do what makes sense NOW.  If we just did what the founders wanted, we'd still have slaves.  

Yeah, you can take this whole original intent thing too far. Even the founders didn't agree on what the document they wrote meant! Just look at the disputes that took place during the Adams administration! Plus, they wrote a document that gives Congress lots of power to write new laws because they were aware that the world changes and law and policy need to change with it. The last thing they wanted was the country to become permanently enslaved to what worked in 1789.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Hey, the budget got cut.  It was always going to be painful, but at least now it's spread out.  The only people who get REALLY screwed are the returning or returned Veterans, who suffered while deployed for years and now aren't going to get the help or employment they deserve.  THAT makes me sick.  All the rest of it?  Whatever.  This thing has made a mess out of almost everyone, I had to switch careers and took a 1/3 pay cut to start over.  That's the way things are.  Raise taxes, cut the budget, move forward.  It's NEVER going to be fun, popular or easy.  The best part of this whole mess is Congress in now out of it, and hopefully can move forward in some type of meaningful way.  I do think much of the problem started with the injection of the Tea Party into the political arena, they seem hell bent on being extremist and are keeping the more sane members of the republican party from being heard.  

Dave...

you're my new best friend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

The founders didn't want gridlock.  They wanted sensible policymaking. But regardless of what they wanted back in 1789, it behooves Americans to figure out what works in 2013. We aren't living in 1789 anymore.

The problem is also that we aren't living in the 1990's anymore. The 90's were the greatest period of economic growth in the countrys history, mainly due to the impending Y2K problems with older business software. Companies were spending billions of dollars on new computers, networks, software, and labor to run all of this equiptment. Jobs were plentiful and paid well, and unemployment was historically low. Government revenue (from taxes being paid) grew during this period, so the government expanded its spending. Many programs were created during this period to try to help lower income people, and no one complained. Home prices rose uncontrolled, and banks made loans they never would have in the past. As soon as the millenium turned over, and the world did not end because of the Y2K issue, businesses stopped spening huge money on IT projects, new equiptment and computer staff. Just look at the stock market charts from October 1999-March 2000. The tech bubble burst, which then contributed heavily to the housing bubble bursting as well (no jobs, no money to pay the mortgage). Unfortunately, this has also caused a reduction in revenue for the government. And with unemployment locked in at 8% or greater for 5 years now, more and more prople are dependent on government programs. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

gov't needs to go on a diet just like the country which is 68% overweight and 38% of those are obese. Would lower health care costs. Some of you boys need to go read JFK's SPEECH on lower taxes.!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

YOU, SIR, just said a mouthful.  From gun control to gay rights to immigration, we need to do what makes sense NOW.  If we just did what the founders wanted, we'd still have slaves.  

Yeah, you can take this whole original intent thing too far. Even the founders didn't agree on what the document they wrote meant! Just look at the disputes that took place during the Adams administration! Plus, they wrote a document that gives Congress lots of power to write new laws because they were aware that the world changes and law and policy need to change with it. The last thing they wanted was the country to become permanently enslaved to what worked in 1789.

You praise the parliamentary system to end all this but it has major worts too. Look at Italy a joke candiadate can now block any government from forming, how is that better?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

You praise the parliamentary system to end all this but it has major worts too. Look at Italy a joke candiadate can now block any government from forming, how is that better?

No system is perfect. All have their pluses and minuses.  But the US system, in my opinion, was designed for a different time and no longer works very well. Too many layers of government, too much inefficiency, too much fragmentation.  

You're free to disagree of course, but having lived under both the US and parliamentary systems, I  think the parliamentary system has some advantages which would be beneficial in the US. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

$85Billion in spending cuts is just a good start.

Entitlement programs and public pensions are killing this country.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Europeans are laughing at us, especially on such basic and easy decisions like basic gun laws or civil rights.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about what the Europeans think though.  If it wasn't for Germany, that whole mess would go down the toilet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to Encinitas' comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

Hey, the budget got cut.  It was always going to be painful, but at least now it's spread out.  The only people who get REALLY screwed are the returning or returned Veterans, who suffered while deployed for years and now aren't going to get the help or employment they deserve.  THAT makes me sick.  All the rest of it?  Whatever.  This thing has made a mess out of almost everyone, I had to switch careers and took a 1/3 pay cut to start over.  That's the way things are.  Raise taxes, cut the budget, move forward.  It's NEVER going to be fun, popular or easy.  The best part of this whole mess is Congress in now out of it, and hopefully can move forward in some type of meaningful way.  I do think much of the problem started with the injection of the Tea Party into the political arena, they seem hell bent on being extremist and are keeping the more sane members of the republican party from being heard.  

Dave...

you're my new best friend.

Yeah those CRAZY tea partiers that think that government has too much control and spends too much money - what extremists!  Now Obama spending more and having greater deficits than any Pres in history  -well that's progress and mainstream.  It is no wonder we are a country in decline. 

That's quite a mild way to describe the tea party.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Why is it every last voter in this country does not INSIST that the first thing cut should be the pay of every Congressperson, every Senator and the President and Vice President? Cut their pay by double what the other cuts are and make them pay for health care in the same way everyone else does that is able to get health care.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Godvernment" please find a political forum to post your junk tirades. Why the BDC has not banned you for this off topic crud is beyond me

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I, too, would prefer to talk football in a football forum. 

Raising a very complex issue that does not have simple straightforwad solutions and then pronouncing that all we need to do is this, that and the other thing and we'll be all set is simply naive.  Do I have the answer?  Of course not but I'd be astonished if anyone else on this forum has it either.

And if you're wondering if what I'm saying is that we shouldn't be discussing it here?  Discuss whatever you wish but as a matter of fact there are quite a few political discussion forums where I can assure you this topic is being well and truly beaten to death. 

That's my contribution to the issue.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to ASO9771's comment:

just another example of how a.ss backwards this country is run....disgusting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

What the Europeans think?  Ha, if it wasn't for the U.S they would be living around the

corner from their friendly Gestapo headquarters. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

What the Europeans think?  Ha, if it wasn't for the U.S they would be living around the

corner from their friendly Gestapo headquarters. 

And if it wasn't for the Europeans, the United States wouldn't exist.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Hope it doesn't affect you or your loved ones! Go 'Merica! We're #1!

Public housing subsidies: $1.9 billion in cuts would affect 125,000 low-income people who would lose access to vouchers to help them with their rent.

Foreclosure prevention: 75,000 fewer people would receive foreclosure prevention, rental, and homeless counseling services.

Emergency housing: 100,000 formerly homeless people could be removed from their current emergency shelters.

Educational programs: Learning programs for poor kids would see a total of $2.7 billion in cuts. The $400 million slashed from Head Start, the preschool program for poor children, would result in reduced services for some 70,000 kids.

Title I Funding: The Department of Education's Title I program, the biggest federal education program in the country, subsidizes schools that serve more than a million disadvantaged students. It would see $725 million in cuts.

Rural rental assistance: Cuts to the Department of Agriculture would result in the elimination of rental assistance for 10,000 very low-income rural people, most of whom are single women, elderly, or disabled.

Social Security: Although Social Security payments themselves won't be scaled back, cuts to the program would result in a massive backlogging of disability claims.

Unemployment benefits: More than 3.8 million people getting long-term unemployment benefits would see their monthly payments reduced by as much as 9.4 percent, and would lose an average of $400 in benefits over their period of joblessness.

Veterans services: The Transition Assistance Program would be forced to cut back some of the job search and career transition services it provides to 150,000 vets a year.

Nutritional Assistance for Women & Children: The government's main food stamp program is exempt from cuts, but other food programs would take a hit. Some 600,000 women and children would be cut from the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, which provides nutrition assistance and education.

Special education: $978 million* in cuts would affect 30.7 million children. For example, the scaling back of federal grants to states for students with disabilities would mean that cash-strapped states and districts would have to come up with the salaries for thousands of teachers, aides, and staff that serve special needs kids.

Job training programs: $37 million would be slashed from a job retraining and placement program called Employment Services, and $83 million would be cut from Job Corps, which provides low-income kids with jobs and education.

only good thing is this should be another nail in the GOP's coffin in 2014 and beyond

Are you stupid?  Do you know how gvt works??? THe Prez is suppose to propose and hand out a budget to congress(which he hasn't done in a few years).  The sequestering is something the PREZ made up to hamstring the GOP(No, I'm not a republican), and make them agree to raise taxes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

We are cutting the DOD budget, but we're giving the Muslim Brotherhook in Egypt $250M dollars!!

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/04/kerry-takes-unity-message-to-egyptian-president-military-chiefs-after-warning/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to Godvernment's comment:

Hope it doesn't affect you or your loved ones! Go 'Merica! We're #1!

Public housing subsidies: $1.9 billion in cuts would affect 125,000 low-income people who would lose access to vouchers to help them with their rent.

Foreclosure prevention: 75,000 fewer people would receive foreclosure prevention, rental, and homeless counseling services.

Emergency housing: 100,000 formerly homeless people could be removed from their current emergency shelters.

Educational programs: Learning programs for poor kids would see a total of $2.7 billion in cuts. The $400 million slashed from Head Start, the preschool program for poor children, would result in reduced services for some 70,000 kids.

Title I Funding: The Department of Education's Title I program, the biggest federal education program in the country, subsidizes schools that serve more than a million disadvantaged students. It would see $725 million in cuts.

Rural rental assistance: Cuts to the Department of Agriculture would result in the elimination of rental assistance for 10,000 very low-income rural people, most of whom are single women, elderly, or disabled.

Social Security: Although Social Security payments themselves won't be scaled back, cuts to the program would result in a massive backlogging of disability claims.

Unemployment benefits: More than 3.8 million people getting long-term unemployment benefits would see their monthly payments reduced by as much as 9.4 percent, and would lose an average of $400 in benefits over their period of joblessness.

Veterans services: The Transition Assistance Program would be forced to cut back some of the job search and career transition services it provides to 150,000 vets a year.

Nutritional Assistance for Women & Children: The government's main food stamp program is exempt from cuts, but other food programs would take a hit. Some 600,000 women and children would be cut from the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, which provides nutrition assistance and education.

Special education: $978 million* in cuts would affect 30.7 million children. For example, the scaling back of federal grants to states for students with disabilities would mean that cash-strapped states and districts would have to come up with the salaries for thousands of teachers, aides, and staff that serve special needs kids.

Job training programs: $37 million would be slashed from a job retraining and placement program called Employment Services, and $83 million would be cut from Job Corps, which provides low-income kids with jobs and education.

only good thing is this should be another nail in the GOP's coffin in 2014 and beyond

Are you stupid?  Do you know how gvt works??? THe Prez is suppose to propose and hand out a budget to congress(which he hasn't done in a few years).  The sequestering is something the PREZ made up to hamstring the GOP(No, I'm not a republican), and make them agree to raise taxes.

"Hamstring" the GOP? Hardly -- he's giving the GOP exactly what they want: an across the board cut of federal programs. 

I suppose by "hamstring" you mean that the GOP will have no choice but to give in a few days after the sequester begins when public pressure begins to mount. Because despite people expressing extreme hatred for government and governmental programs, those hated programs do a lot for people in many different areas of day-to-day life that we all take for granted. National Parks will close, flight-delays will be rampant due to ATCers being laid off. Food regulation will decrease, and certain foods won't be available and/or people will get ill from eating them. The list goes on.

If that's what you mean by "hamstring", then yes, Obama is hamstringing the GOP.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Maybe it's time for those that sit around all day and do nothing but feed off the system get off their couches and get jobs?

Hey that's just my opinion. I'm sick and tired of my taxes going up every year feeding those that don't feed themselves.

I can see it now-All the bleeding heart liberals will give me an earful-Well up yours in advance