Hard to get excited about a punter...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Hard to get excited about a punter...

. . . but it's a damn important position.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Re: Hard to get excited about a punter...

Reach number 3.  ESPN gives this pick its lowest grade of any pick so far--a 36. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

DONT MESS WITH THE ZOLTAN!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Hard to get excited about a punter...:
    Reach number 3.  ESPN gives this pick its lowest grade of any pick so far--a 36. 
    Posted by jcappy

There is not a grade low enough to accurately represent my disdain for ESPN's "analysis."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Posted by jcappy

Best decision I made in this draft was to watch the NFL Network coverage. I feel bad for any football fan that doesn't have it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Is it unreasonable to think, at this point, some truly pathetic team would have Mel Kiper as a consultant during the draft......if he truly knew anything?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

In Response to Re: Hard to get excited about a punter... : Best decision I made in this draft was to watch the NFL Network coverage. I feel bad for any football fan that doesn't have it.
    Posted by ewhite1065

Yup, I agree...on my laptop & watching the NFL Network while the wife & daughter take a nap :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

People were down on the Gostkowski pick at the time...a kicker?  They were down on the Mankins and Sea Bass picks. 

Essentially, the Pats grabbed the services of an outstanding punter.  Hit lots of 50+; gained a reputation for pinning down the opposition with a very fan base; a team captain.  My guess is that the more people from Michigan one speaks to about Mesko, the more Pats fans will understand the pick.   This is a lot like the Mayo and Sea Bass acquisitions...local fans said NE is going to love this guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Maybe you'll be excited when the Patriots can actually Punt the ball more than 36 Yards.  You doubters do realize games can be won and lost because of field position right?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maybe you'll be excited when the Patriots can actually Punt the ball more than 36 Yards.  You doubters do realize games can be won and lost because of field position right?
    Posted by titletownfan

In case it wasn't clear, I really like the pick.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Posted by jcappy

Compare the utility of having the services of an outstanding punter through a few contracts to drafting the services of a 5th rounder who doesn't make the team.  Of course, had the Pats waited, Mesko might not have been available.  Surely, there is something to say for improving field position on a regular basis versus inviting another hopeful to camp?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

In Response to Re: Hard to get excited about a punter... : In case it wasn't clear, I really like the pick.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I was responding to jcappy

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Posted by jcappy

ESPN are dumba$$es

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Posted by jcappy

Probably end up being the best pick in the draft judging by what I've heard about ESPN's analysts. Who are they anyway? Have any of them ever tried to build an NFL franchise? I mean really, Millen is the closest and if that was trying....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Hard to get excited about a punter...:
    . . . but it's a damn important position.

It would matter what the ESPNs of the world thought if this were the Academy Awards of football or something like that.  But this is an entry draft where teams pick players they want on their team.  It doesn't exist to excite fans.  That's what ESPN and the league plays on and that's why all the production and hoopla that goes into it, but at its core, it's coaches picking sides.  Belichick decided he wants this punter on his side.  I'm sure he's sorry that some people might not be excited about it.  No, actually I'm confident he couldn't care less.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I love the Don't mess with the Zoltan reference as I used it earlier today and some moron corrected me on the spelling...LMAO! On another note the patriots did invite another wrestler too camp John Wise a wrestler from Western Illinois, he was a high school all state football player in Illinois... Another Neal or will it be anothe Jermeil Porter the guy they invited in last year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I predict that Mesko will quickly assemble am interstellar fan base in NE, setting up very exciting situations when the Supreme Commander attempts to pin 'em back...something the NE faithful will have a lot of fun with.  (Hopefully, it will motivate the new Patriot to maker a lot of extraordinary punts.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from umichfan. Show umichfan's posts

As a long time Wolverine fan I have to say that Mesko is a great punter.  The past couple years the Wolverines much to my dismay haven't played very well but the one bright spot on their team has been Mesko.  I'm happy the Patriots got him!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In Response to Re: Hard to get excited about a punter... : In case it wasn't clear, I really like the pick.  

I love this pick, too! People make waaay too much about what round someone was drafted in...once they're on the team, it doesn't make a darn bit of difference. Zoltan was FAR AND AWAY the best punter in the class, with a 44.5 yard average and a 40+ NET average...huge! Plus he was second in the country at pinning teams in their own end.

Very few 5th round draft picks do much in the NFL. When you get the chance to get the best guy in the draft at an important position, that is a GREAT pick!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Also heard, he's fast and loves to tackle... that definately cant hurt...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by jcappy

Who cares what those Patriots hating ESPN morons have to say. Can anybody dispute that the Patriots had to do something to improve their punting? Chris Hanson is the league's worst punter. Field position advantage often is the difference between a win or a loss. Who can say whether "Zoltan the Magnificent" could have been had with a later pick?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81pats12. Show 81pats12's posts

i've been seeing ALOT of complaining from posters i've never seen before(wouldn't be surprised if the globe staff is behind this) for REAL pats fans all you have to do is do some research and you'll see there's alot to get excited about especially with this guy... 
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4677760/sport-science-video-devin-mccourty

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The Bucs took another punter Brent Bowden, 22 picks later (before the next Pats pick) - and they HAVE a decent punter. I wonder what grade the NitWit Network gave that?