Harsh Reality for Devin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Harsh Reality for Devin

Patriots LCB Devin McCourty has been targeted the most among defensive backs in the NFL so far this season.

He has been targeted a whopping 51 times for 35 receptions, 496 yards, and two touchdowns in six games. Opposing quarterbacks have a 125.9 rating when throwing his way. He'll probably lose the top-spot on this list over the bye week, but the Steelers will look to put him right back on top using their multiple deep threats in Week 8.

By no means is this shaping up to be, but I hope if he is benched it's not Butler all over again.

I do repeat!  McCourty is faaaaar superior to Butler, but the second season benching can play mind games in the heads of players sometimes.

I think he'll come around. 

A week off to watch tape and improve technique and he should be more fluid against Steelers. 

He could also have an injury that we don't know about.  Who knows, but rotoworld kinda raised my eye on this one. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: Harsh Reality for Devin

He's pulling the old "hucklebuck" or the "Kansas city shuffle". At the end of the year as QBs are lulled into a false sense of security he will turn it up to eleven and finish with 37 interceptions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

It might just be crazy enough to work

In Response to Re: Harsh Reality for Devin:
    [QUOTE]He's pulling the old "hucklebuck" or the "Kansas city shuffle". At the end of the year as QBs are lulled into a false sense of security he will turn it to eleven and finish with 37 interceptions.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

In Response to Harsh Reality for Devin:
    [QUOTE]McCourty is faaaaar superior to Butler. 
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

What makes you say that? Butler is actually faster and more atheletic than McCourty. The only reason McCourty was better than Butler was because McCourty played better.

I look for McCourty to improve. His struggles must have something to do with the changes on defense. But right now, he's even worse than Butler.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Before this season I had said McCourty "has looked good so far". I was promptly informed by the villiage idiot that I was out of line for not knowing his being good was a done deal already. I prefer to wait a couple of years before stamping a rookie a great player.

Looks like a bit of the sophmore jinx here. Lots of times the other guy gets a book on you after a good rookie year and you struggle to adjust that part of your game. I think McCourty will make the needed adjustments and be at least a solid corner, even if not the future HOFer some were prematurely proclaiming him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Pressure fixes everything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

teams have learned what works against him, McCourty has to redefine his skills and make adjustments

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

He'll be fiine...just hope he's got over the top help with Wallace...if so, we'll win with no problem, as long as the D-line plays a decent game....

As for butler...the guy was a great athlete, but he also had his psyche torn to shreds and could not recover from the trauma...maybe a year or two down the road he'll snap back...too bad, he had a lot of physical talent...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

i think the pats coaching has a way of making young corners nervous/insecure. the track record is abysmal, and ya gotta wonder. in the bb documentary, didnt bb say sonething like "dont make a single mistake", then young cbs looked freaked out?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BB-IS-BEST. Show BB-IS-BEST's posts

Last year McCourty played a lot of zone and is now playing a lot of single man coverage against tall WRs. I think it's just a matter of getting accommodated to the system and building confidence. I think once he gets his first INT he will start to turn it on. My greatest fear heading into this season was McCourty not producing like last year, and our secondary falling apart. So far this hasn't killed us, and it appears the D is starting to come together. Hopefully McCourty rebounds.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

One of the guys who covers the Pats recently pointed out this week that the bulk of McCourty's production came in the second half of last season. There are 10 games left in the season, so if that pattern repeats itself, this subject becomes moot.

It's easy to forget that even though it's late October, the team has played less than half of its schedule so far.

Plenty of time left for McCourty to adjust to whatever changes he's dealing with since his rookie year (and now that offensive coordinators have more than a full year's worth of tapes on him to study).

I also agree with King that in the last two games he's been much better than he was in the first four. Bryant had one big play last Sunday and it was just one of those great plays that great athletes make, when he caught a short pass and then just juked two Patriots out of their jocks and took off for a lot of YAC.

McCourty will be fine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Harsh Reality for Devin : I agree. I think this is completely overblown. BB played a lot of man early out of the lockout and with new Safeties after Meriweather and Sanders leaving. In those cases, McCourty had struggled, but his last 2 games have been much better. Also, he gave up 2 TDs early last year, too and then totally turned it on after that. Not excuses, but I am not buying this "sophmore slump" routine or drama from people who claim he's all of a sudden not a top notch CB.  He's been inconsistent so far, no doubt.  You don't become that good consistently as a rookie by accident. We're talking about someone who was considered elite as a rookie and on a team that started a bunch of rookies on it. This year, the D is has been on the field a lot as well due to a sputtering and sometimes explosive, quick strike offense, opening up more chances to be taken on that right side, the easiest side for QBs to throw to.  The D has has improved with pass rush, using effective zone and getting healthier as well. The entire D has improved in recent weeks.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Don't even bother Russ...  

There's so much of a false premise RE: DMC's struggles, that one doesn't even know where to even begin to try to explain the reality here.

And good grief, I'm not simply talking about the dozen or so myriad of most often unmentioned determiners, which people fail to account for...  Nope.  When even paid Pats beat writers, are simply 100% false in giving they're amazingly incorrect takes on things like Pats DBs (and specifically, DMCs) coverage schemes...currently and in '10...  It's UN-real.

Manza-Young=There's 1 right tthere.  I read some take by her discussing how "much of DMC's slump" can be attributed to the fact that in 2010 DMC almost always played in zone-coverage, and in 2011 NE had him in man coverage, which "wasn't his strong-suit to jam receivers at the line, <b/c of his decent CB size, I believe? />."

Really.  I mean how much different sh#-t is wrong right there alone?!?  

Bench McCourty?!?  Bill Belichick should be tellin' DMC to just "bear with him", as He's apologizing to Devin for god's sakes.  

Look folks, Last season DMC played WAY, WAY more press-man coverage...  And this year?  It starts with simple (but not "hard-jamming the wideout")- bump and run, as DMC's at the LOS, but Belichick doesn't have him even attempt the jacking up of his wideout (It WAS a sensible thing in 2010 <hard press-man CB coverage />, given zero pass-rush, 2 veteran Safety help, and in an original bend-don't-break fairbanks 3-4 Defense).  IF DMC got burnt right at the line, like Coaches worry about when playing your CBs hard right at the LOS, It would have been, and WAS, a much less-riskier situation given NE's overall D scheme, last season.

And now...?  Often in a scheme with not 2, but just 1 Safety...  AND, said current Safety (or Safeties) being just awful in light of the 2 Safeties BB released (Sanders..and sadly yes, Meriweather too), couple this with less LBs dropping into coverage...  And BB has DMC doing the following:  Lining up the same (right athe LOS), but playing a bumping style of DB coverage as the receiver is releasing from the LOS (not pressing hard)....<and it's been this day since Game 1 this year)=BUT THEN, DMC will either be playing standard man-coverage against the pass <staying on this wideout /> (He was aked to do this a bit moreso in the first 3 games)...OR, He quickly drops off his man while in route, as DMC sets-up, reads the QB, and occupies a zone-coverage area of the field to defend against any eligible receiver coming into his bubble (which other Pats Defenders dropping back are doing in these circumstances)...<this second one has now taken over as the majority of the called pass-coverage designs within the last 3 games>

~An "of note" here:  I'd bet every penny I have that even IN these bump-and-run To zone-coverage CB set-ups, That IF and WHEN the guy that DMC (i.e. usually the best receiver), catches the passed ball in a coverage bubble area outside, or even as/when the receiver's route tree moves outside of DMC coverage area, I'd be willing to bet that due to the fact that BB has been changing his DBs going from bump and run man, to lining up in bump-man, THEN shooting into zone duties, THAT when this happens and a wideout makes the reception, It'll get credited/attributed as a targeted catch made against the original CB in the first place~   

Look...I'm not even gonna bother with the 1000 other contingencies people...  First, just take a look at both team & player stats and even attempt to go play-by-play within the game review itself:  Take note of the sheer insane number of TTs that NE's CBs are tallying thus far...Look down and see the D-Linemen and several LB Tackle stats...Then go and check the play-by-play, and see yourselves how a scarey amount of Tackles that Pats CBs are tallying, are NOT on receivers...but on Runningbacks on Running Plays.  

Next go to ESPN (yes...sorry).  They'll offer a snap count total for each Pats Defender and for every game...  DMC?  He's been off the field during 1 Defensive snap in ALL of these 6 games so far.  Bodden was on early in the year...  But in 3 games or more now, Bodden's on-field about 2/3's- to 1/2 (or less) of the time (Hip, Hand, Hand, Hamstring, and Thumb=His injuries thus far...in 2011...6 games played).  But either way, whether it'd be a called man-coverage, or a zone-coverage set-up per play, Bodden would most often be seeing the side of the field with the oppossing Offense's #2 CB (DMC would be seeing the #1 WR moreso).  And Arrington?  There's sooo much discussion of how absolutely great he's been...  And lmao, first hah-Look, I was ranting over and over about resigning Kyle Arrington this offseason...  First season on NE in '10, ZERO pass-rush, #2 starting CB???  He held his own EXCEPTIONALLY well (and totally unappreciated) Last Season...  And this year, Arrington's doing GREAT too...  But ya gotta understand, that in the first 3 games, Arrington was almsot ALWAYS-only on the field during multiple receiver situations, as a slot CB (meaning Arrington <and the guy's good />...BUT this means Arrington has a distinctly easier job assignment in Games 1-3, upon seeing the other squad's #3 skilled receiver when he's out there.  Even in Game #4, Arrington finally started in the #2 CB spot in place of Bodden...BUT for that game, when Bodden came on, just like Kyle did in multiple receiver opposing sets, Belichick would have BODDEN take the #2 CB spot (for these plays), while Arrington during these instances, again moved to the nickel CB duty...             

Finally, Find a sight which offers up the total QB dropback snaps the Pats sent 4 men, VERSES the total number of snaps that NE blitzed (i.e. sent 5 or 6 pass-rushers, delayed or not)... Mind you, this is NOT the same thing as a count of how many times, NE's Defense was in precisely WHICH pre-snap Defensive Alignment (4-3, 5-2, 3-3-5, etc., etc., etc). 
    Fact is, you'll be astounded at how many Opposing QB drop-back times BB sent 1 or 2 extra guys).  
    So...Once ya do this, Ask yourselves if perhaps the sheer weight and great contribution of Andre Carter's 2 and 1/2 or so late-in-the-game sacks, Just might be a tad bit overstated in worth...  

~Look, I could go on and on...
    But Devin McCourty benched!?!  Look, IF you like your Pats Team winning games...you had better hope that NONE of the following 4 Players on The Patriiots Defense, misses ANY time <in no order />:  Patrick Chung, Vince Wilfork, Brandon Spikes, And...Devin McCourty.  Even 1! of these guys goes down, and things could get VERY ugly, very quickly. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

I think the lock out effected him going into his second year as a corner much more than it would to a tight end, for example.  Add to this the responsibility of less help over top than last year and we are seeing him struggle a little bit.  He seems to have lost a half step somewhere in the technique.  he can fix this and I think we'll see it by the end of the year.  He lost a lot of important time in the off-season between first and second year with the coaching staff.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

He's going to be fine. Good player and playing better each week. Just like the defense, better each week. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Honestly, I am not at all concerned about McCourtey, Wayyyyy ahead of where Asante was at the same time,  remember Asante, only came into his own year #4.

Devon started the year off slow, playing alot of man to man, but much more improved play of late with Zone D.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think he's too talented to be playing like he has, so I would think that he'll improve (truthfully he couldn't get much worse). I think what is disappointing is that he was one of those guys that you looked at and thought we hit a home run with and he's been far from that. I'm confident he'll become a solid starter.

Threads like these bother me because everyone jumps to the guy's defense, when in reality the criticism is warranted. We went four years with threads like these protecting guys like Maroney, Merriweather, Butler, Crable, Whilite - when they didn't deserve it. Now, not one of those guys plays any type of meaningful roll in the nfl. I'm not saying Devin is in that type of category, but when a guy is not playing to expectations....Why can't we notice - say something and have an opinion about it?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It's ok to criticize players and/or coaches who are underperforming. However, some posters come here and all they do is complain. This is the main reason I started posting, (to give my positive spin to offset the negative spin), after reading here for a year or so.

We are watching perhaps the most amazing run of excellence by any NFL team ever. Really, what is there to complain about?

Sure we could have won more titles but so could have the 70s Steelers or the 80s 49ers or the 90s Cowboys.

Very few teams, if any, have good/great players at every position. It's the nature of the salary cap era.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]I think he's too talented to be playing like he has, so I would think that he'll improve (truthfully he couldn't get much worse). I think what is disappointing is that he was one of those guys that you looked at and thought we hit a home run with and he's been far from that. I'm confident he'll become a solid starter. Threads like these bother me because everyone jumps to the guy's defense, when in reality the criticism is warranted.We went four years with threads like these protecting guys like Maroney, Merriweather, Butler, Crable, Whilite - when they didn't deserve it.Now, not one of those guys plays any type of meaningful roll in the nfl. I'm not saying Devin is in that type of category, but when a guy is not playing to expectations....Why can't we notice - say something and have an opinion about it?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

That would be killa and wozzy, mthurl.  I pretty much hit on all those losers including Hobbs, Wheatly, Nunn and Mckenzie. 

The good thing is Internet heat doesn't burn so I'll always call a loser a loser with no concern or worries for what the appologist fires back with.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Because it's 2 weeks old.  He played good the last 2 weeks (minus a couple bad tackles last week which Chung was also guilty of). Be consistent and mature and you won't come across like a whiny pink hat, Mt. Hurl.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

What's two weeks old?

You know for the most part I do try to stay consistent...for instance I've pretty much always thought you were a dope and I still do. Really there is no one more pathetic on here than you; there probably isn't anyone as wrong about...well almost everything, but I guess that's what happens when you post 600 times a day throwing as much crap up against the wall as humanly possible:) Lol!! (I know you dig lol and such).

I did love your brilliant and ground breaking assessment that running the football = good. Of course your weekly breakdowns of the our defensive backfield coverages is also quite enlightening! I think you may be a bit off about how you view our problems as a result of our top ranked offense...vs. our low ranked defense, but other than that you're stellar...just stellar.

Keep up the good work! Maroney, Merriweather (one of the better safeties in the afc at one point...hahahaha), Butler...send their regards. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]It's ok to criticize players and/or coaches who are underperforming. However, some posters come here and all they do is complain. This is the main reason I started posting, (to give my positive spin to offset the negative spin), after reading here for a year or so. We are watching perhaps the most amazing run of excellence by any NFL team ever. Really, what is there to complain about? Sure we could have won more titles but so could have the 70s Steelers or the 80s 49ers or the 90s Cowboys. Very few teams, if any, have good/great players at every position. It's the nature of the salary cap era.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

I realize I'm in the minority here with the fact that I don't gloss over players that aren't very good and call them good, just because we picked them and they dawn a Patriot uniform. And truly I understand that we can't have pro bowl players at every position and that not every draft pick pans out, but that won't stop me from saying ____________ player is not very good, because indeed in fact he probably isn't (I'm not talking Devin here). I don't see the problem in this, I'm not hurting Bill Belichick's feelings. I do appreciate and understand that what we're witnessing is something very rare and special. I also realize that when Brady calls it a career, it will be the end of this magical run, because although we had a wonderful draft last year - there hasn't been enough of them in recent years to sustain a high level of success without Brady.