HARVEY UNGA CHANCES?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

HARVEY UNGA CHANCES?

what are the chances the patriots make a run at BYU's Harvey Unga? and what are they willing to bid for him? i would go as far as to bid a 3rd rounder. he could be a powerful presence in the backfield and also has the bulk to maybe take up spot FB duties.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: HARVEY UNGA CHANCES?

I am aiming for more like a 5th rd pick

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think a fourth round pick would secure his rights if the Patriots really weant him. Also it would block just about every team who may have had an inclination to draft him....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

In Response to HARVEY UNGA CHANCES?:
    what are the chances the patriots make a run at BYU's Harvey Unga? and what are they willing to bid for him? i would go as far as to bid a 3rd rounder. he could be a powerful presence in the backfield and also has the bulk to maybe take up spot FB duties.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

Wouldnt give up a 7th for him becasue he wouldnt even make the team. Now, fowler196 have you started enough threads lately? Seen your name in the blog enough that you can chill out and grow up for awhile?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Pats don't use FBs.

They use OLmen as FBs. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Good size, production and ability to find the end zone (36 career rushing TD's), slashing north/south runner that appears to have some decent speed and quickness for his size (high 4.5-4.6) though he probably won't out run a lot of DB's at the NFL level.  He also shows the ability to catch the ball on tape and had 102 receptions (9 TD receptions) during his career.  I think his size, running style and ability to catch the football may make him appealing to BB, though I'm not sure what he'd forfeit to get him and he hasn't taken a player in the supplemental draft during his time in NE. 

If I had to guess, I'd say anywhere after Rd 3.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: HARVEY UNGA CHANCES?:
    Good size, production and ability to find the end zone (36 career rushing TD's), slashing north/south runner that appears to have some decent speed and quickness for his size (high 4.5-4.6) though he probably won't out run a lot of DB's at the NFL level.  He also shows the ability to catch the ball on tape and had 102 receptions (9 TD receptions) during his career.  I think his size, running style and ability to catch the football may make him appealing to BB, though I'm not sure what he'd forfeit to get him and he hasn't taken a player in the supplemental draft during his time in NE.  If I had to guess, I'd say anywhere after Rd 3.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07
    I hope the Patriots take him and the surest way to get him would be to draft him with a 3rd round pick,noone is going to spend a second round pick on him but some team might spend a 4rth round pick on him. so hence the reasoning behind using a 3rd round pick.. Here's why the Patriots can use their third round pick as bait to get this guy,BB has 2 second round picks already and knowing BB he will trade one of them for a 3rd round pick anyways,so why not think ahead of the curve and use your third round pick now! The next draft is two rounds and thats it,the quality drops after that...Take Unga with a 3 rd round pick and you might get a player worth having for next year..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Sorry sportsfans ...
    ZERO chance BB will spend anything close to a 3rd on this guy.
     As stated above ... BB's philosophy is not to waste a roster spot on  the Fb position .
        Maybe a 6th rounder ... but still doubtful
    ( Though one thing that is in his favor is the fact that the current stable of rbs will not be under contract in 2011 )

IMO Unga is nothing special ~
    ( Slightly above average at the College level but would probably struggle to compete in the big leagues )

Undeniably cool Rb name though

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NovaScotiafan. Show NovaScotiafan's posts

Capt Foxboro

Have you ever watched tape on Unga?   I have.    He is definitely NFL caliber player.   Have you noticed that we have NOT won a Super Bowl without a north/south RB on the roster.   Antowain Smith and Corey Dillon were key components to those SB teams and allowed Brady to excell in play action.  Last year Brady was HIT 70 times.  No wonder he injured three ribs.   A third round for a big RB that averaged 5 yards a carry in his senior year and can move the chains on 4th and 2 against Indy would be well worth it.   It would be nice if Tom did not have to throw every down.

Unga had 3449 yards in college in three years and scored 36 TDs.   He is a good receiver for a RB also.  He is not a fullback.   He is just a big physical RB like Corey Dillon without the baggage.

The reason Unga wasn't eligible for this year's NFL draft was that he was kicked out of Mormon BYU for having "relations" with his girlfriend.   Unlike many players in the supplemental draft, he does not have serious character flaws or criminal record type of issues.   Teams typically only bid a low round draft choice given the risk they present (even if they have higher round talent).  

If having relations with one's girlfriend was a reason for BB not drafting someone, the Pats roster would be empty.   That said, if some one with questionable character, work ethic, etc rates a 5th round pick, I would hope he would rate a higher one.   BTW, Parcells covets this guy and the word in Miami is that he will bid a 4th.   So if the Pats want him, it will take a 3rd round bid, since Miami's pick is higher than the Pat's due to won/loss record.   He is clearly worth a third.

Put it this way, if he was in the recently concluded NFL draft, he would have gone either in 2nd or 3rd round (given where other similiar RBs went).   The one he is most similar to is Toby Gerhart in size, speed, playing style, yards, yds/per carry, and TDs.  Look it up.  IMO Unga looks better on tape than Gerhart.

Bruschi thought that type of RB is exactly what the Pats really needed to draft.    I agreed and did not understand why the Patriot's passed on one.   I am hoping that Unga is the reason why.   It is clear that next year's draft will not be as strong as this past years given how many underclassmen jumped into this year's draft to avoid coming out in a year with a much lower rookie wage scale.  That said, a 3rd next year will not necessarily yield a player of his talent.

NFL scouts indicate that RB is the easiest position playbook-wise for a player to pick up.  Hence why many NFL rookie RBs do very well.    Other positions require player to learn a lot more to be productive in year one. I would bid a 3rd for him and cut Fred Taylor.

In Response to HARVEY UNGA CHANCES?:
    Posted by FOWLER8196

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JaeD. Show JaeD's posts

If we draft this guy one of the backs has to get cut, and at this point it would probably be Morris, Unga would probably do alot of the same things morris does, play some HB and FB and have to catch passes out of the back field.  Unga may or may not be more durrable than morris but I would deffinately give him a chance, but a third round pick seems like a little bit much to take a guy in the supplimental draft.  plus only two running backs have ever been taken higher than the 4th round in the supplimental draft.  One was taken in the second round and has no info or any stats.  and the other a first round pick had a couple of average seasons and then was out of the league.  so I think a 5th would be appropriot and if they really like him maybe a 4th.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think Unga would be a nice addition to the Pats offense, and I don't classify him as a fullback. To call his stats average is crazy. The guy has great production, size and can move the chains. The fact that he can catch and block is great as well. 
    The problem I have is not what I would give for him because I think the guy does with a 3rd or 4th, but what roster cutting we would have to do to keep him. 
    Do we cut BJGE, Morris, or Taylor to make room for him? Personally, I would feel comfortable with Maroney and Unga in the backfield, with Faulk and using Hernandez in some type of RB role periodically as well. This means you add Unga and can cut 3 (BJGE, Morris and Taylor), or 2 of the 3, and use the extra head for the WR position, which I think we should since it appears rather deep.