Has Maroney finally shut up and put up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Has Maroney finally shut up and put up?

I've been a huge Maroney detractor for the past few years and was very wary, when I heard him, early in the season, talk and talk about running hard.

At that point, it seemed like "running hard", meant to him, running as fast as you can into the back of your linemen. Yes he wasn't dancing, but he wasn't gaining.

The last half of the season, he seems to be running hard, but under control and taking the yards that are there, plus getting a few extra on occassion. Now, when he loses yards, it's because there is no hole, not because he ignored a 4yd gain, to dance.

I'm not saying he is suddenly an All Pro, but he has seriously improved, it shouldn't be ignored.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: Has Maroney finally shut up and put up?

I'm much happier with his running of late. He's lowering the shoulder and getting the tough yards. Today 23/for 85 yards is good not great but it gives the team balance and a threat the opposing defenses have to respect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Anyone think the weekly film sessions with Bill have helped? Say what you want about 4th down calls, the man can breakdown gamefilm like no other; that has to help a back to have that one on one time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

In Response to Re: Has Maroney finally shut up and put up?:
    [QUOTE]I'm much happier with his running of late. He's lowering the shoulder and getting the tough yards. Today 23/for 85 yards is good not great but it gives the team balance and a threat the opposing defenses have to respect.
    Posted by harleyroadking103[/QUOTE]

Agreed, good but not great numbers. At this point, that almost points to blocking and not running though. How many times are our backs met in the backfield? That is either bad blocking or (more likely) predictable play calling, in certain situations.

Kudos either way LM. He gets my gameball, for most consistent play on offense today, although Moss did step up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I disagree jed, He had 23 carries today and 20+ last week (don't remember total) and he still can't put up a 100 yard game.

There are matrix to measure RB proformance and running "hard" isn't one.  RB's are measured by yards.  LM is currently the 23 ranked RB with 654 yards an no 100 yard games.

He is average at best and that's a stretch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Blocking = running

there's no way around it

When there's a hole, Maroney hits it.  This offensive line will never be mistaken for the 2003 Chiefs or the 2005 Seahawks, though.

Play calling doesn't help Maroney, either.  They broadcast when they're handing the ball to him.  They rarely pass from under center now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

You're right NickC.

K-Max seems to think another back would be manufuctauring yards out of these non existent holes. Yes his numbers are average, at best, but average yards with below average blocking, is the best we can hope for at this point.

My point being, he has stopped talking so much, in the papers, and started producing as best he can, on the field. The losses are now "bad blocking losses" and not "bad running losses". Time to stop blaming the back all the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

[QUOTE]Blocking = running there's no way around it When there's a hole, Maroney hits it.  This offensive line will never be mistaken for the 2003 Chiefs or the 2005 Seahawks, though. Play calling doesn't help Maroney, either.  They broadcast when they're handing the ball to him.  They rarely pass from under center now.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]
     I really agree with the broadcasting point, when brady is under center w/ maroney in the backfield 9 times out of 10 its a run, I personally like when Brady runs everything undercenter it gives more possibilites, but then again I also enjoy power running and defense so that may be a correlation

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree jed, He had 23 carries today and 20+ last week (don't remember total) and he still can't put up a 100 yard game. There are matrix to measure RB proformance and running "hard" isn't one.  RB's are measured by yards.  LM is currently the 23 ranked RB with 654 yards an no 100 yard games. He is average at best and that's a stretch.
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

When was the last time we had a 100 yd performance by a patriot running back and who was it?  We're really not a running team but Maroney is probably the best back on this team as of now. Faulk is a utility back who is arguably better than Maroney but he's not an every down RB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think you have to give Maroney a ton of credit for taking coaching to heart and getting better this season. The guy is running very well right now, and he keeps getting better.  I think BB is doing good work with him -- and he deserves kudos too for taking advantage of what BB is offering.  I was frustrated with Maroney earlier this season, but I think he's earned a second look--and right now I really like the guy. I think we have a pretty good running back all of a sudden.

Vollmer may be helping too . . . that tackle is really, really good, both in the passing game and the running game.  What a steal to get him at 58.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

[QUOTE]I think BB is doing good work with him
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Agreed, as questionable as BB's on the field decisions have been, his best piece of straight up coaching (ie: teaching), this year, has arguably been his time with LM.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Has Maroney finally shut up and put up?:
    [QUOTE]I've been a huge Maroney detractor for the past few years and was very wary, when I heard him, early in the season, talk and talk about running hard. At that point, it seemed like "running hard", meant to him, running as fast as you can into the back of your linemen. Yes he wasn't dancing, but he wasn't gaining. The last half of the season, he seems to be running hard, but under control and taking the yards that are there, plus getting a few extra on occassion. Now, when he loses yards, it's because there is no hole, not because he ignored a 4yd gain, to dance. I'm not saying he is suddenly an All Pro, but he has seriously improved, it shouldn't be ignored.
    Posted by jedinate[/QUOTE]

He has looked better for at least the last month or so but I honestly think we should make an attempt at upgrading this position for next year. If Fred Taylor comes back healthy it will remind us again of what we want as our running back. Fred Taylor is noticeably faster at hitting the line and the holes than Maroney is.That's what I'm looking for in the future. I think Maroney is doing as good as he can possibly do but I want a little more than what he is doing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]You're right NickC. K-Max seems to think another back would be manufuctauring yards out of these non existent holes. Yes his numbers are average, at best, but average yards with below average blocking, is the best we can hope for at this point. My point being, he has stopped talking so much, in the papers, and started producing as best he can, on the field. The losses are now "bad blocking losses" and not "bad running losses". Time to stop blaming the back all the time.
    Posted by jedinate[/QUOTE]

I don't think people see the other 21 players on the field.  They only see the guy with the ball.

I think you might be onto something with the point about Maroney talking too much.  He was drawing attention to himself which only added to the pressure.  He might have been right about the linemen costing him yards, but there was backlash against him for saying it at that time nonetheless.  I think by not talking and working hard, he's avoiding writing checks he can't cash and quietly working his way towards 10++ td's and 1,000+ yards.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

ewhite1065

I am 100 % for upgrading at the position, that was never my argument here. Just giving a much maligned guy some deserved kudos. I would like to see us draft a definitive #1, but LM is showing me enough to be an acceptable #2 if the contract is right and I don't see a huge pile of high paying suitors lining up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree jed, He had 23 carries today and 20+ last week (don't remember total) and he still can't put up a 100 yard game. There are matrix to measure RB proformance and running "hard" isn't one.  RB's are measured by yards.  LM is currently the 23 ranked RB with 654 yards an no 100 yard games. He is average at best and that's a stretch.
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone here is claiming that Maroney is tearing up the league. But there is no doubt that he has been running better since he has (had to) become the featured back.

For now, he has stopped all the dancing and is finally hitting the hole, or "pile" in some cases, with authority. Who knows, when Taylor is back, he may revert to his old form- maybe even on purpose as a change of pace.